Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 11:17 AM   #151
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: La Peau de Miel
Hi, I'm brand new to the forum

I decided to post because about a month ago I decided to give up sugar because I realized that I loved it but it didn't love me I actually feel better than I have felt in years but I haven't lost any weight. I decided to try some keto sticks and I see that I am in ketosis but the scale still says 168 (I'm 5' 4"). I avoid anything that is obviously carbs and I mainly eat veges with my protein. My only splurge is a chocolate mousse (made with cream, Splenda, and cocoa powder in the evenings). What could I be doing wrong? I need help!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #152
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
Day 5: felt better yesterday. My brain seems to be much sharper. Haven't looked into the calories I am taking in. I figure for the first few weeks if I just keep the carbs to a minimum I don't have to worry about calories. I am sure they are a lot less than the calories I have been eating to get fat.

B. bacon lettuce and tomato with mayonnaise
L. Poached salmon on lettuce with a iittle Italian dressing
D. Steak with broccoli and zucchini
S. cheese, salami and 1hard boiled eggs

I watched that video. It was great. Thanks for sharing.

What is the website you guys are using to track your carbs?

Day 6 this morning and I am feeling good. Had a ham and egg breakfast and lots of water already.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #153
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dagnyt
Stats: 228/228/145
Start Date: July 23, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezie View Post
Dagny-Okay here is what I've read from others...I am still learning, too....

There might be a lot of sodium from some of the foods like pork rinds which can make you retain water. If so, drink tons of water. Are you going to the bathroom? Constipation can add weight. Splenda stalls some people. Cocoa powder can spike blood sugar. Caffeine stalls some people. Cheese and cream cheese are more stalling than eggs from what I have heard. I don't think two eggs has all that many carbs? I might try cutting down to 15 carbs ( a few less veggies?) to make sure you are under 20. And if all that doesn't work, maybe up your calories a little because 1400 might be telling your metabolism to slow down.

Just some ideas.
Thank you! I'll definitely be upping my water intake. I'll try to eat less pork rinds too. I mostly had been eating them in the evenings, so I can eat something else.

According to my tracker, 2 eggs has 3 carbs. That seems awfully high to me.

I barely eat veggies now. I can't imagine eating less. Is it just me? I mean, when I look back over my menu it doesn't look like a lot of veggies to me.

I'm not sure how to up my calories without upping the carbs too. I feel like I'm screwing up so badly here. I am totally willing to make adjustments. Just not sure how.

Today I'm doing ok. My breakfast was that same breakfast as yesterday, with an additional 3 strips of bacon. I'm feeling kind of sick from all the fat. Lunch was a little better. leftover boneless, skinless chicken breast with mayo (chicken salad) and a pickle.

No bathroom issues here, in fact, I'm having the opposite. Not sure why.

So frustrating! thank you so much for the input! I'm going to keep trying, and going with your suggestions!
Old 07-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #154
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Neezie
Stats: 238.2/getting smaller!/130
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: July 2012
No problem, Dagnyt- That does sound too high of a carb count for eggs. In Atkins book, he doesn't limit eggs at all, so I think something is off there. Maybe get a second opinion lol. Another thing that might really help you is to go find the menus of the people who are losing and copycat some of their days just to see if that works. And the reason I mentioned lowering your veggies, is because I am not sure where the 24 other carbs came from?? Maybe just reduce wherever those other carbs came from lol. Again, remember, this is the advice from one newbie to another! I have just been reading and studying nonstop to help me get losing as well.

Sails- The recipe for the creamed spinach is spinach sauteed in butter, garlic, and cream. I cooked one piece of bacon and crumbled it in. So good!

La Peau de Miel Maybe post your menus, so we can see what might be happening?

Big Stevie-If you keep losing weight, then no calorie counting needed! My husband is like that. I use ****** to track my carbs.

Last edited by Neezie; 07-28-2012 at 12:28 PM..
Old 07-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #155
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cosmicstargoat
Stats: 248.5/241.4/215.0 by Oct. 1
Start Date: July 21, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Peau de Miel View Post
Hi, I'm brand new to the forum

I decided to post because about a month ago I decided to give up sugar because I realized that I loved it but it didn't love me I actually feel better than I have felt in years but I haven't lost any weight. I decided to try some keto sticks and I see that I am in ketosis but the scale still says 168 (I'm 5' 4"). I avoid anything that is obviously carbs and I mainly eat veges with my protein. My only splurge is a chocolate mousse (made with cream, Splenda, and cocoa powder in the evenings). What could I be doing wrong? I need help!!
It sounds like you want to be on the right track, but don't really have a handle on what you are putting in your body. Have you read the Atkins book?

Are you monitoring with a program like ******?

You may be taking in more carbs than you realize and a fitness jounal program will reveal to you exactly how many carbs, calories, fats and proteins you are putting in your body.

Atkins is precise, but very doable, but you must toe the line if you are to be successful.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #156
Junior LCF Member

Neezie, I think you're right. When I go and look at the Atkins carb counter, it says .4 for an egg. So 2 eggs is .8, not 3! Big difference!

I'm looking through to see where the other carb issues are. The site I use has 2 dill pickles (with no sugar in them...0 carbs on the label, only ingredients are water and vinegar and some salt and seasoning) being 2 carbs. I think that's insane. They're not even the equivalent of a whole pickle. The carb counter has a small whole pickle being around 1.5 so I'm thinking 2 pickles...maybe equal half a pickle. That's .75 or .8 carbs.

The lettuce is listed on the carb counter as .6 (for 1.5 cups).

I think I need a new online counter.

I talked to my husband about this earlier too. And we realized that I never actually weighed myself the day we started. I was going off of the weight my doctor's scale said a couple of weeks ago. Probably a bad idea. I have a feeling I have gained a bit since then.

So, ok. Taking a deep breath and chilling out. I'll do ****** instead of the other one. And I'll start paying attention to my weight more closely to see if I truly am gaining or if I was higher starting weight than I thought. If I keep losing, then I'll know I started higher.

Thanks for the support, I really appreciate it! I was wigging out! LOL
Old 07-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #157
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
I know on this diet calories 'don't count,' or whatever it is. But for me, I think they DO!

If fat cals add up FAST..if your not keeping track you could still be taking in to many cals to create a deficit even if you aren't eating carbs.

Just my feeling about that.

I mostly manually enter things into ******, right from the label.

I've spent a long time NOT counting cals and NOT losing weight, so might as well keep track..that way I know when I'm losing that thats probably a good indicator that I'm in a deficit. When I stall I can subtract some cals or add more exercise.

Here are my meals today:

~A double flax muffin w/cream cheese

~Shrimp and Broccoli 'Alfredo.'

Macros are looow, won't even bother posting cals and all that. Appetite is majorly surpressed now.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #158
Senior LCF Member

I lost a lot of weight, around 60 pounds, on Atkins and never ever checked my calories. I think the theory is as long as you are keeping the carbs down low, it is pretty hard to overshoot the proteins to far in terms of calories. (I am sure it could be done.) But your body just isn't hungry for too much protein like it is for too much carbohydrates or sugar.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #159
Junior LCF Member

Wow, I can't believe the difference. I used Spark instead of the other one and there is a huge difference in calorie and carb intake. Both are way less. And I entered stuff directly from the labels.

I feel a lot better now. And I think I might be losing weight and not realize it. I also think it's possible that I'm not eating enough carbs. I probably need more veggies.

Too funny. What a weird turn this took for me!
Old 07-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #160
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Neezie
Stats: 238.2/getting smaller!/130
WOE: Atkins Induction
Dagnyt Good to hear the carbs were lower. I like ****** a lot. And maybe lost weight too? Cool!

Betty I agree-For my body, I have learned the hard way that calories count. Though I can lose on higher cals than before lowcarb. (1800 to 2000 now. On lowfat I barely lost anything eating 1200 cals!) Also, with all the rich fatty lowcarb recipes, I could easily eat 3000 calories if I was not aware. Stevie, I am jealous you lose without counting. Maybe I will heal my metabolism and be like you someday.

So far today: (again, not super hungry)
B flax muffin with cream cheese and butter.
L one chicken breast
Old 07-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #161
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by betty301 View Post
I know on this diet calories 'don't count,' or whatever it is. But for me, I think they DO!

If fat cals add up FAST..if your not keeping track you could still be taking in to many cals to create a deficit even if you aren't eating carbs.

Just my feeling about that.

In my opinion, calories do count, especially if you overdo the protein. The first time I failed on Atkins was not because of too many carbs or fats, it was too much meat. Eating a correct ratio of fat/protein will help suppress hunger, there is no doubt about it.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:48 PM   #162
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sails92
Stats: 319/309/175
WOE: Low Carb / Exercise (-10)
Start Date: 06/01/14
Welcome BigStevie.....I use ******(it's a FREE food tracker and very easy to use). Wish you the best on your journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
Day 5: felt better yesterday. My brain seems to be much sharper. Haven't looked into the calories I am taking in. I figure for the first few weeks if I just keep the carbs to a minimum I don't have to worry about calories. I am sure they are a lot less than the calories I have been eating to get fat.

B. bacon lettuce and tomato with mayonnaise
L. Poached salmon on lettuce with a iittle Italian dressing
D. Steak with broccoli and zucchini
S. cheese, salami and 1hard boiled eggs

I watched that video. It was great. Thanks for sharing.

What is the website you guys are using to track your carbs?

Day 6 this morning and I am feeling good. Had a ham and egg breakfast and lots of water already.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #163
Junior LCF Member

I don't know what I'm missing today. I am so hungry right now! Had lamb kabobs for dinner (lamb, onion, and green pepper...very little onion and green pepper), sauteed spinach (about 1/4 cup), and green beans (a small serving).

I'm starving now! I had some cheese, hoping it would help. No joy. Just tracked all of dinner and my snack. I'm only at 10 carbs. 1,118 calories.

Need to find something else!
Old 07-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #164
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: colibri
Stats: sw 192/cw 192/gw170

Well, I just completed my first day on the Atkins induction phase. Unfortunately, I live in Mexico, so I have to do some adjusting for foods not listed. I lost 60 lbs about 7 yrs ago following my own low carb diet, but since I've been here I have eaten too many tortillas. Glad to find this newbie thread and all the helpful info provided.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #165
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kristall
Stats: 286/258/145
Start Date: 06/10/12
dagnyt, I find that I am usually 3-4 pounds heavier at night. I too am obsessed with the scale. I actually look forward to weighing myself at night and seeing what I weigh because I know it will be 3-4 pounds less in the morning.

Also, for the first few weeks I have noticed I lose, then spike back up, then lose it plus some. It's really weird. I can't explain it.

Don't let it get you down. Just keep at it!
Old 07-29-2012, 04:05 AM   #166
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sails92
Stats: 319/309/175
WOE: Low Carb / Exercise (-10)
Start Date: 06/01/14
Good Morning Group!!!!! I woke up doing the happy dance, because I started the Atkins lifestyle on last Sunday and so far -5.5 pounds is GONE!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!

Menu:
B: coffee & cream, quiche (I should finally be done with the pan today - lol)
S: Linda's crispy chips (the trick is to use parchment paper)
L: quiche (the last of the pan - YEAH!!!!)
D: pork loin & creamy spinach (leftover from last night)

What I've learned this week is:

1. It's okay to cut down on the cream and Splenda in my coffee to 1 tablespoon - (I'll still make it through the day)

2. I'm a compulsive eater so it's probably best for me to make another large pan of quiche or something else low carb for the week ( this takes the staring inside the fridge and contemplating what I'm going to eat with the door wide open not being an option anymore - lol).

3. I'm a snacker and so I need to keep some around the house, so my plan is to look up variety of snacks and experiment with them this week.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:04 AM   #167
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cstyles
Stats: 297/293/150
WOE: Atkins, the "old" one
Start Date: 07/15/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by colibri View Post
Well, I just completed my first day on the Atkins induction phase. Unfortunately, I live in Mexico, so I have to do some adjusting for foods not listed. I lost 60 lbs about 7 yrs ago following my own low carb diet, but since I've been here I have eaten too many tortillas. Glad to find this newbie thread and all the helpful info provided.
Welcome!
Old 07-29-2012, 09:59 AM   #168
Senior LCF Member

That's awesome on the loss, Salis, keep going!!!

Hello to the people joining.

I am really trying to do this with 'real,' food. Protein, HEALTHY fats and my veggies. Not so much dairy, no pork rinds, no jello, etc.

I'd like to find a lo carb Protein powder to have before/after the gym. Any recommendations?
Old 07-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #169
Senior LCF Member

oh, I also wanted to mention a thought I had.

Many people have intolerances to food and they don't know it. Especially dairy. I've been noticing a lot of people who stall are the ones eating up the max limit of cheese and such things.

A question: how do you all feel about having a free meal once a week or so once into induction for awhile?
To refill glycogen stores and all that, especially for those that weight train. I'm kinda worried about that, and there aren't many studies stating how safe it is to stay on a very lo carb diet for a long periods of time.

Do people really make it all the way through Atkins towards maintaining?
Old 07-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #170
Junior LCF Member

I am also on the hunt for low carb protein powder. Unfortunately, most sold here is in bulk, so one does not know what is exactly in it. I guess, I could ask the owner of the store if they have any info.

This certainly will be a challenge for me, especially when I am eating at an event or at someone's house. Nearly all meals contain either tortillas or bread. If not, the main dish is usually a meat and masa based dish. On the bright side, I am able to buy freshly fried pork rinds that do not contain salt. Pork rinds or chicharron also contain some meat and are used as an entree. If you haven't tried it, I would recommend simmering pork rinds in a green or red chile sauce. However, resisting the temptation to give in to tortillas is overwhelming, as there is a small tortilla operation just at the end of my block and the aroma is killing me!

Today, I mixed some nopal cactus into my tuna salad. Not bad, actually and it increases fiber intake.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #171
Junior LCF Member

Just as a side note, I have lost 20 pounds since mid-April on a lower carb diet. However, I am now at a standstill, so I am hoping Atkins will re-boot my body into losing.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #172
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Catrapoin
Stats: 214/184/118 (highest is pregnancy weight)
WOE: Low carb plus exercise
Start Date: 01/27/2010... Restart 01/11/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnyt View Post
I don't know what I'm missing today. I am so hungry right now! Had lamb kabobs for dinner (lamb, onion, and green pepper...very little onion and green pepper), sauteed spinach (about 1/4 cup), and green beans (a small serving).

I'm starving now! I had some cheese, hoping it would help. No joy. Just tracked all of dinner and my snack. I'm only at 10 carbs. 1,118 calories.

Need to find something else!
My advice would be to eat some hb eggs and drink a big glass of water. If that doesn't sound appetizing, then most likely you *think* you're hungry but really have the munchies. If you can eat and drink that, then you actually do need to eat more, but then you've just eaten healthy food and had more water

Oh, and try some fresh grated Parmesan cheese with that sautéed spinach. They do that in Italy and it is soooo good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colibri View Post
Hola! If you need some good LC Mexican recipes, feel free to pm me. I make some awesome Mexican dishes, and I've had to adjust a lot of them for LC purposes.

Quote:
That's awesome on the loss, Salis, keep going!!!

Hello to the people joining.

I am really trying to do this with 'real,' food. Protein, HEALTHY fats and my veggies. Not so much dairy, no pork rinds, no jello, etc.

I'd like to find a lo carb Protein powder to have before/after the gym. Any recommendations?
Hands down, syntrax nectar. They have a ton of favors, very low carb, and they taste great. You can read hundreds of reviews to decide which one you want to order, or order a sampler package to try a bunch of them. Netrition.com carries it, but you could also google it to see who else does.

GOAL: LOSE FIFTY BEFORE I'M THIRTY

Old 07-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #173
Junior LCF Member

Catrapoin--Thanks for the offer. Actually, its not the recipes that I have trouble with. It's just impossible to convert some recipes, such as pozole into a low carb meal. On the other hand, menudo is a cinch as this region does not use nixtamal in the stew. I just have a heck of a time saying no to tamales, atole and corundas! All maiz based. Also, because I live 4 hours outside Mexico City, we do not have access to a wide variety of foods. Even cheddar cheese is not widely available, but I am able to buy other varieties of Mexican cheese. To compound the problem is that I am a historian interested in food as an expression of culture. Currently, I am in the process of collecting traditional regional recipes before they are lost to fast food. My whole life revolves around food!
Old 07-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #174
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
A question: how do you all feel about having a free meal once a week or so once into induction for awhile?
To refill glycogen stores and all that, especially for those that weight train. I'm kinda worried about that, and there aren't many studies stating how safe it is to stay on a very lo carb diet for a long periods of time.

Do people really make it all the way through Atkins towards maintaining?
I would say "no", and here's why. On a traditional low fat diet, I would say "yes" because it is really tough to stick to a low fat diet with no perceived light at the end of the tunnel. I've done it and lost weight, but I rewarded myself once a week with pizza, tacos, beer, etc.

The difference with Atkins is that if you are doing it right, you should not be experiencing those debilitating hunger pangs that you get with other diets. Yes, you will have cravings, but those are probably psychological, not physical. Just say no.

Weight training does not call for any sort of fructose load. The low carb will feed your body fine, even better than adding carbs.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #175
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrapoin View Post
My advice would be to eat some hb eggs and drink a big glass of water. If that doesn't sound appetizing, then most likely you *think* you're hungry but really have the munchies. If you can eat and drink that, then you actually do need to eat more, but then you've just eaten healthy food and had more water

Oh, and try some fresh grated Parmesan cheese with that sautéed spinach. They do that in Italy and it is soooo good!

Good advice, I just had some with bacon bits and blue cheese dressing. I think, like you said, it is important to differentiate between actual hunger and the psychological "munchies". Like I stated in the message above, if you are DOING IT RIGHT, with Atkins, you should not be experiencing much hunger. Sure, I want a slice of pizza and a beer, but I am not physically craving those items.

Water is so, so key. Yes, I'm sick of drinking water. I would love to have a beer or a 22 oz. diet soda. Atkins will not work without the water. It helps flush the burning fat and sodium out of your body. If you don't do everything right, chances are you will fail. I know, I've been there.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #176
Senior LCF Member

Day 6 finished. Still feeling good. I ended up having to go to a birthday diner at an Italian restaurant last night. I was relieved to find out they didn't order family style. I ate some sausage with green peppers and a salad with olive oil.

Day 7 feeling good today. Went shopping and stocked the shelves for next week. I want to be more prepared going into my second week. Got some avocados, olives and pickles for snacking. I am hard boiling eggs for snacks also. Trying to avoid snacks but like others, I find myself wanting something from time to time.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #177
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Catrapoin
Stats: 214/184/118 (highest is pregnancy weight)
WOE: Low carb plus exercise
Start Date: 01/27/2010... Restart 01/11/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
Good advice, I just had some with bacon bits and blue cheese dressing. I think, like you said, it is important to differentiate between actual hunger and the psychological "munchies". Like I stated in the message above, if you are DOING IT RIGHT, with Atkins, you should not be experiencing much hunger. Sure, I want a slice of pizza and a beer, but I am not physically craving those items.

Water is so, so key. Yes, I'm sick of drinking water. I would love to have a beer or a 22 oz. diet soda. Atkins will not work without the water. It helps flush the burning fat and sodium out of your body. If you don't do everything right, chances are you will fail. I know, I've been there.
I do allow myself to have a diet soda, but I make to consume over 100oz water on those days. I know for some ppl, diet soda can trigger cravings, but for me it's the opposite. If I feel I have a craving for something sweet, then a diet soda usually hits the spot and I'm not left craving things I shouldn't. It's a YMMV thing, I guess.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #178
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrapoin View Post
I do allow myself to have a diet soda, but I make to consume over 100oz water on those days. I know for some ppl, diet soda can trigger cravings, but for me it's the opposite. If I feel I have a craving for something sweet, then a diet soda usually hits the spot and I'm not left craving things I shouldn't. It's a YMMV thing, I guess.
On paper, one diet soda will not hurt a thing. I guess that my point is the slippery slope of rationalization that "cheating" might trigger. It's a psychological thing. If you fudge, no matter how little, that little pointy-tailed cherub on your left shoulder will whisper in your ear words of discouragement. One thing can lead to another, etc. etc.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #179
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the protein rec!!
I'll look into that.
Ok, another question.(can you tell I like to ask questions?)

The body is incredibly adaptable. Won't our bodies just get used to the level of carbs it's at? And if you do everything perfect and your food is awesomely clean, etc and you don't lose for weeks, then what? There are only so many hours in the day to exercise and you can only lower your calories so much.

I guess I'm just thinking ahead, starting to have doubts since I haven't managed to get to my goal weight in over a decade. Since before I had my son, He's 10
I have to BELIEVE this will work..think POSITIVELY!!!!

Here are some articles about cheat meals(I call em FREE meals) and re feeds.
T NATION | The Cheat Meal Manifesto
» Cheat Days Boost Metabolism, Break Monotony*on* Journal of Healthy Living
Old 07-29-2012, 04:38 PM   #180
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks for the protein rec!!
I'll look into that.
Ok, another question.(can you tell I like to ask questions?)

The body is incredibly adaptable. Won't our bodies just get used to the level of carbs it's at? And if you do everything perfect and your food is awesomely clean, etc and you don't lose for weeks, then what? There are only so many hours in the day to exercise and you can only lower your calories so much.

I guess I'm just thinking ahead, starting to have doubts since I haven't managed to get to my goal weight in over a decade. Since before I had my son, He's 10
I have to BELIEVE this will work..think POSITIVELY!!!!
The answers to all your questions are, of course, in the Atkins book. I urge you to read it again, that's what I'm doing right now. I know that it is tempting to stop after the induction chapters, but doing so will put yourself at peril.
Closed Thread