Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 06:57 AM   #1741
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabulousinmpls View Post
Hello! This is my first time posting here, but not my first time with Atkins. For some reason, I always end up falling off but then I dust myself off and get back up! I am on two medications which are notorious for weight gain and since the only way of eating that was great for me was Atkins, I'm back at it. I'm not starting until the 26th because I need the time to plan out my meals for the next two weeks. My husband is vegetarian and will be right along with me. So I've come here for support and encouragement.
Welcome back to Atkins! I honestly believe that the plan has gotten easier for me the longer I've stuck with it. I've been on Atkins for more than a year now, and all of the stuff like cooking and food prep and shopping just feel *normal* to me at this point.

Is your husband doing a vegetarian version of Atkins? I'm just curious! My dad is vegan, so he doesn't eat any animal products at all, but he also doesn't eat grains (unless they're sprouted) so his meals during the winter are fairly high-fat and relatively low in carbs but not quite ketogenic. So I'm just curious about how vegetarians structure an Atkins diet.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2013, 07:22 AM   #1742
Major LCF Poster!

I'm packing to move. So I'm going through all of my stuff and throwing out the clothes that I can no longer wear.

I've moved TWICE with boxes full of clothes that didn't fit me because they were too small. But I kept them, and I went through the trouble of moving across the country with them, because I'd hoped to be able to wear these clothes again someday. Now, I've got a bunch of clothes that I haven't worn more than once or twice because I outgrew them too quickly to get much use from them, but now they're too big for me.

I even have clothes that still have the tags on them because they were gifts from my brothers, who didn't realize that I had outgrown that size when they bought the outfits for me. We grew up poor so, now that my brothers have high-paying jobs, they buy me very expensive clothes as gifts for every occasion. So I have bags of beautiful clothes from Ralph Lauren and Ann Taylor and Tory Burch and my beloveds, Michael Kors and Narciso Rodriguez, with the tags still on them -- and all of those size 10s and 12s and 14s and 16s are off to Goodwill! There are some beautiful Tahari suits in there, so maybe someone who needs a job will get some great suits to wear to interviews.

Sorting through my clothes has made me realize that I have a SHOCKING number of t-shirts that I "won" by eating or drinking something outrageous. Apparently, I ate 25 pounds of crawfish at some bar. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
Old 06-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #1743
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PassionateFire
Start Date: September 4, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
I even have clothes that still have the tags on them because they were gifts from my brothers, who didn't realize that I had outgrown that size when they bought the outfits for me. We grew up poor so, now that my brothers have high-paying jobs, they buy me very expensive clothes as gifts for every occasion.
That is so sweet! Not many men would buy clothes for their wives, let alone their sisters
Old 06-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #1744
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateFire View Post
That is so sweet! Not many men would buy clothes for their wives, let alone their sisters
They're good guys! I'm lucky to have them! Their wives are lucky, too, but I would never admit that to them. HaHa!

My dad is Haitian. And after the big earthquake in Haiti, both of my brothers -- neither of whom had ever actually been to Haiti or ever had to deal with that type of undeveloped-world poverty -- went to Haiti to do volunteer reconstruction. I had the *excuse* that I had to work... But my *spoiled*, American brothers both took leaves of absence from work and went to help. They slept in tents. Bathed in buckets. Did manual labor for 6 months. And never complained. We're all very proud of them!

While they were down in Haiti, my brothers and one of my cousins "adopted" a rural medical center. And they used their own money to buy an ambulance -- which that area didn't previously have. And they use their "vacation" time to go down there and volunteer, doing manual labor and repair work in the clinic. They ship down *hard to get* items -- like heavy-duty extension cords and sterile cotton.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:02 PM   #1745
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fabulousinmpls
Stats: 235/235/200
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 6/26/13
Quote:
Welcome back to Atkins! I honestly believe that the plan has gotten easier for me the longer I've stuck with it. I've been on Atkins for more than a year now, and all of the stuff like cooking and food prep and shopping just feel *normal* to me at this point.

Is your husband doing a vegetarian version of Atkins? I'm just curious! My dad is vegan, so he doesn't eat any animal products at all, but he also doesn't eat grains (unless they're sprouted) so his meals during the winter are fairly high-fat and relatively low in carbs but not quite ketogenic. So I'm just curious about how vegetarians structure an Atkins diet.
Thank you! I'm excited to get started again. It really was when I was at my happiest and I need to just stick with it this time.

Husband will be eating whatever I am eating minus the meat. I am going to try to make things like stir-fry that are easy for him to just omit the meat. Tonight I made a chicken and broccoli casserole and he just picked out the chicken.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #1746
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thank you! I'm excited to get started again. It really was when I was at my happiest and I need to just stick with it this time.

Husband will be eating whatever I am eating minus the meat. I am going to try to make things like stir-fry that are easy for him to just omit the meat. Tonight I made a chicken and broccoli casserole and he just picked out the chicken.
Okay, I see! That totally makes sense. I think my perspective is a bit weird because I know so many *picky* vegans, so I was imagining you guys working out totally separate menus.

It's so great that you have your family on board! I think that will be a huge asset to you.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #1747
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmcd1070
Stats: pre-op 240/now 167/goal 130
WOE: Organic Low Carb
Start Date: WLS 2-8-11. Atkins (reboot) 4-7-14
Trillex - your clothes sound beautiful! I hope you got a receipt so you can at least claim the donation on your taxes? Do you have any consignment shops you could maybe sell some of the higher end stuff at? I still think we need to start a clothing co-op for Atkins folks

Your brothers sound amazing, I adore such great acts of charity! They must have wonderful karma.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #1748
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That's great that he's so flexible. My neice that I raised is a vegetarian and will not eat anything if it has meat touching it in any way.

Welcome! =)
Old 06-26-2013, 10:14 AM   #1749
Senior LCF Member

It's been a hectic week, I don't know if I even posted my weigh in on Sunday but I was up a lb. It's TOM so I'm hoping that's all it is, but I was having pretty severe leg cramps in the night, and the only thing that helps is milk and banana, so I had a little milk and a banana a day for 2 days. I know, it's a TON of carbs and maybe why I'm up a lb. But the cramps are gone and so are the bananas so, damn. 170 again. My nemesis!
Old 06-26-2013, 10:40 AM   #1750
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Manny
Hi everyone,

Not new to low carb,lost 75lbs almost 10 years ago,

ideal weight is 190-200 sitting at about 227lbs this morning,my destiny is in reach and i plan to get there...no more excuses just results.

Nothing changes if nothing changes
Old 06-26-2013, 02:13 PM   #1751
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcd1070 View Post
It's been a hectic week, I don't know if I even posted my weigh in on Sunday but I was up a lb. It's TOM so I'm hoping that's all it is, but I was having pretty severe leg cramps in the night, and the only thing that helps is milk and banana, so I had a little milk and a banana a day for 2 days. I know, it's a TON of carbs and maybe why I'm up a lb. But the cramps are gone and so are the bananas so, damn. 170 again. My nemesis!
You've been low-carb long enough to be leto-adapted, and bananas are about 75% dextrose (as opposed to being mostly fructose like most fruit), so you may actually have re-comped some of your muscle glycogen stores, which is a metabolic *trick* that bodybuilders do when they do ketogenic "cutting" diets. They do what are called "re-feeds" that briefly change the liver metabolism, which up-regulates a lot of the hormonal systems that control bodyfat metabolism. Leptin, the thyroid hormones, and the entire suite of growth hormones all up-regulate, and this process is part of what enables bodybuilders to continue cutting bodyfat below "normal" human levels. Until this protocol was developed back in the 1980s it was quite rare for a competitor (even on serious drugs) to cut below 5% bodyfat. Now, it's common even among "natural" bodybuilders (who don't use drugs). Nothing can up-regulate the entire system the way that this type of re-feed systemically up-regulates.

I'm not saying you should go around eating bananas all the time! I just wanted to point out that eating a banana isn't necessarily a *negative* with regard to your progress. In fact, bananas are one of the top re-feed foods (second only to plain bagels) because the banana's ratio of dextrose to fructose makes it ideal for stimulating metabolic changes in the liver while the dextrose is fed into muscle glycogen storage. And the potassium in bananas supports protein synthesis in muscle tissue, which helps bodybuilders cut bodyfat without losing a significant amount of lean muscle tissue.

This is actually one of the key principles of modern bodybuilding nutrition! These developments -- the information about what foods to eat when and why it's important to eat certain foods at particular times -- changed the entire sport.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #1752
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
Hi everyone,

ideal weight is 190-200 sitting at about 227lbs this morning,my destiny is in reach and i plan to get there...no more excuses just results.

Hi, Manny! Welcome!
Old 06-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #1753
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: RonJaws
Stats: 212.7/205.6/190(mini goal)175(ultimate goal)
Start Date: 6/12/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
Hi everyone,

Welcome Manny,

You sound like you are almost the same size as me, i'm hoping to get to 190 as my mini goal. Good luck! (I'm new here as well)
Old 06-27-2013, 12:57 AM   #1754
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LauraDavis
Stats: 245.8/190.6/145
Start Date: March 2013
Manny and RonJaws....great to have you with us.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #1755
Senior LCF Member

Welcome!!

Thank you Trillex. I LOVE LOVE all your detailed scientific information on the processes going on in our bodies!! It's amazing how much information you carry around, like a walking human anatomy book (a class I carefully avoided in school but now wish I hadn't). I'm SOO grateful you are here! =)
Old 06-27-2013, 03:30 PM   #1756
Major LCF Poster!

My trainer gave me the week off from our scheduled workouts because I'm moving. But he asked me to wear my heart rate monitor while I'm packing and moving around and lifting boxes and stuff, and he had me wear a fitbit throughout these moving days to track my activity level.

So... I climbed 59 flights of stairs yesterday! FIFTY NINE! And do you know what? I silently blessed every lunge and squat my trainer has had me do since I started this program! Because I didn't even feel those stairs. I really didn't! I was carrying boxes up and down. I have a basement, a first floor, and a second floor. But it was all like NOTHING to me. For example, I carried my toolbox and my free weights up from the basement and I wasn't even remotely out of breath. It was as if I'd just run downstairs to answer the door or something. It felt effortless. I was truly amazed! I *know* that I've made a lot of physical progress this year, but it took all of this moving-related work to *show* me just how much progress I've made. I don't want to brag (but I'm going brag): I AM SO STRONG!

I work out at a private facility that only allows bodybuilders -- my trainer hooked me up and got me in -- and the guys at the gym all tease me and call me "She Hulk" when I'm lifting. I usually think that's cute and whatever, but I am SO She Hulk this week! I am a completely different person than I was on this date last June. There's an entry in my training journal from last summer, in which I was talking about how excited I was to have walked a whole mile that had two hills. I was, like, "I'm really drained but I did it!" The person who wrote that could NOT have walked up and down 59 flights of stairs in one day while carrying heavy boxes.

And the stats from the app that my trainer uses with my heart rate monitor had me expending more energy yesterday than on days when I train and also walk several miles. So I really put some work in! Going back to training will be like a vacation after this.

I'll be living at my parents' house in Chicago until the end of the summer, so I'm going to have a new trainer and a different gym. I'm a bit scared but I'm sure it'll be fine. I hope. Another friend has volunteered to train me according to the same schedule (5 days per week) and the same general guidelines (training splits with long recovery times), just as my current friend who is training me. My new trainer is a successful, experienced bodybuilder. But my current trainer is a bodybuilding COACH, so he's very talented at identifying a client's needs and making appropriate adjustments. My new trainer doesn't have experience in coaching -- and he also doesn't have a graduate degree in sports nutrition like my current trainer -- so I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

I also think it was a huge advantage that I was significantly obese when I started at the gym that I've been working out at. I was so *clearly* the underdog that everybody was immediately on my side, doing everything they could to support and motivate me. Now, I'm just going to look to them like some random person who's trying to get into shape. It's kind of petty, I know, but I'm a bit sad that I won't be *special* anymore. But the good news is that I won't stand out and look out of place in the gym. Even though I'll be new to this gym, I won't be new to training so that should make things easier.

Both of my brothers are bodybuilders but I REFUSE to train in the same gym with them. They'll just pick on me and make me angry -- and you wouldn't like She Hulk when she's angry!

Old 06-27-2013, 03:36 PM   #1757
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcd1070 View Post
Welcome!!

Thank you Trillex. I LOVE LOVE all your detailed scientific information on the processes going on in our bodies!! It's amazing how much information you carry around, like a walking human anatomy book (a class I carefully avoided in school but now wish I hadn't). I'm SOO grateful you are here! =)
I just know A LOT of bodybuilders! They love talking about this stuff, and it's amazing how much you absorb over time...
Old 06-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #1758
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bucky
Stats: 209/180.1/160 5'10"
Start Date: 5/29/13
Ron and Manny!

Trillex -- 59 flights?!! 59?!! You go girl. That is unbelievable.

I also love all the information that you have and share.

I just got three more Atkins-related books from the library to read. Can never get enough knowledge or information, right?!

It's almost Friday. The weekend is in view? Anyone got something special going on?
Old 06-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #1759
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LauraDavis
Stats: 245.8/190.6/145
Start Date: March 2013
You go Trillex! You made me tired just thinking about it.

This weekend... working all weekendk, unpacking and organizing more of my stuff and baking. There's my weekend in a nutshell.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:24 AM   #1760
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bucky
Stats: 209/180.1/160 5'10"
Start Date: 5/29/13
Moving sucks, doesn't it?? Makes you realize how much stuff you have that you never use. When I got married, my hubby cured me of my pack rat tendencies. We got rid of a lot of clutter; stuff that I knew I would use again one day.

Hot and humid here today with chance of rain next couple of days. Typical Florida summer.

Happy Saturday!
Old 06-29-2013, 06:31 AM   #1761
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Keepingawake
Stats: 310/260/200
Start Date: April 2013
Carbs on a plane (think snakes on a plane)

Hello everyone -- and welcome to the new members!!

I'm back from my trip to Africa and it was AMAZING! I feel totally energized and engaged, though it was a challenging two weeks to stay on plan. I was surprised at how central starches are to almost everything on every menu. While I was able to stay on plan early on, it got harder and harder given the situations I found myself in (I literally didn't each for a whole day). I am glad to be home in an environment that is easier to control. I'm working out hard core today! Glad to be back with everyone on the board!
Old 06-29-2013, 06:33 AM   #1762
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
So... I climbed 59 flights of stairs yesterday! FIFTY NINE!

WOW! That's awesome!!!! I love Chicago -- I hope you have a great summer there.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:44 AM   #1763
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraDavis View Post
This week is stressful...I'm leaving my bf. I found a roommate. I guy from work that needs a roommate. I'm packing Friday and my friends from work will be here with a truck Saturday morning. I have to buy everything yet this week cuz I moved here with 2 small suv's worth of stuff. The new floor is going into my bathroom and bedroom at the new house Saturday too... about ready to pull my hair out.
Oh my -- I hope you're doing ok, Laura. I went through a huge break up several years ago and strangely enough, all the emotional challenges helped me to stay on track (this was back when I was doing Atkins the first time around). The structure of the diet gave me something to focus on and in the end, I became a low carb machine! I hope the move goes ok (I'm just getting caught up with posts, so I just read about your challenges with the move, too -- yikes!). Keep posting and take care of yourself!
Old 06-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #1764
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: RonJaws
Stats: 212.7/205.6/190(mini goal)175(ultimate goal)
Start Date: 6/12/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepingawake View Post

I'm back from my trip to Africa and it was AMAZING! I feel totally energized and engaged, though it was a challenging two weeks to stay on plan. I was surprised at how central starches are to almost everything on every menu. While I was able to stay on plan early on, it got harder and harder given the situations I found myself in (I literally didn't each for a whole day). I am glad to be home in an environment that is easier to control. I'm working out hard core today! Glad to be back with everyone on the board!
Glad you enjoyed your trip, I traveled for work this week and managed to stay on plan but it was rough, i did sneak a few coke zeros but not a bad week at all. Welcome back.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:40 PM   #1765
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
Family from Scotland finally left today. It was fun but busy. Managed to loose a couple pounds while they were here. Very pleased.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:35 AM   #1766
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
Moving sucks, doesn't it?? Makes you realize how much stuff you have that you never use. When I got married, my hubby cured me of my pack rat tendencies. We got rid of a lot of clutter; stuff that I knew I would use again one day.
You're so right! I have/had stuff that I haven't used the whole time that I've lived in Michigan. I got rid of some of it. But I *feel* like I'll need some of it in the future, when I'm living someplace else, so I kept those items.

And I clearly have a problem with shoes. I had eight 20"x20"x18" boxes just with shoes. That can't be normal! Since I've lost weight and dumped the clothes that were too large for me, I had more boxes of shoes than I had of clothes. Weird!

And I'm pretty sure that although I am a biological female, I'm also a drag queen. Because I had boxes marked "tulle" and "sequins/shiny" and "reptile" and "leopard." I think that's because the last time I was this size, I was just starting college and, apparently, I thought going to college meant dressing as if every day was a nightclub.

I also have a specially-lined box just for my tiaras -- I've never been in a pageant, I just like tiaras.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:36 AM   #1767
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepingawake View Post

Welcome back!

I'm just curious because I know very little about southern Africa, what are typical meals like over there?
Old 06-30-2013, 01:39 AM   #1768
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJaws View Post
Glad you enjoyed your trip, I traveled for work this week and managed to stay on plan but it was rough, i did sneak a few coke zeros but not a bad week at all. Welcome back.
That's great! A few sugar-free drinks while dealing with a travel in a different environment is a triumph. I think a lot of people in those situations have "a little bite" of stuff that's off-plan, but you didn't. I think that's awesome!
Old 06-30-2013, 01:42 AM   #1769
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
Family from Scotland finally left today. It was fun but busy. Managed to loose a couple pounds while they were here. Very pleased.
Good work, Big Stevie!

Is your family from Glasgow, by any chance? I love Glasgow -- it's such a fun city and the people are so funny and cool. I also particularly like the Glaswegian accent.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:10 AM   #1770
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Welcome back!

I'm just curious because I know very little about southern Africa, what are typical meals like over there?
I'm not an expert, but here is what I saw/ate/avoided. Lots of starchy foods make up the base of the diet in Botswana, most common is which is pap, which is essentially a corn dish like grits, but cooked to the consistency of firm mashed potatoes. It's really bland, but is flavored with stewed meats or on special occasions a dish like seswaa, which is is beef cooked over an open fire in a pot of water and then pounded for quite some time until it is tender and flaky. I got to have some seswaa while there and loved it.
Closed Thread