Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #1681
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmcd1070
Stats: pre-op 240/now 167/goal 130
WOE: Organic Low Carb
Start Date: WLS 2-8-11. Atkins (reboot) 4-7-14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraDavis View Post
I love GoodWill they rock!!!!

Uggh I ate 3 slices of tomato and my stomach is feeling awful! Had BLTs for dinner so I just ate the tomato and bacon.
Oooh that reminds me of this recipe I saw on a facebook low carb group. It was a BLTA salad with bacon lettuce tomato and avocado over lettuce with ranch. Yum! I know what is for dinner tonight! =)

And Congrats on the size 14. I did the same thing with some size 12 Levi jean short shorts. HAH! I wouldn't even let DH see me in them but I had them past my hips and buttoned!

My Ann Taylor size 14 white linen pants are home from the cleaners. I haven't worn them since Aug last year. They were TIGHT. Now there is about an extra inch of space in the waist. I'm getting SO CLOSE to a size 12 that I'm twitching!! haha

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #1682
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcd1070 View Post
My Ann Taylor size 14 white linen pants are home from the cleaners. I haven't worn them since Aug last year. They were TIGHT. Now there is about an extra inch of space in the waist. I'm getting SO CLOSE to a size 12 that I'm twitching!! haha
It's like we were separated at birth! Getting into my tailored Ann Taylor and Talbot's and Ralph Lauren clothes DROVE ME through the first 6 months. And a lot of those clothes are size 12 because that's the size I was when I got my first "professional" job. I had moments of laying on the bed and trying to zip size 12 pants up, just to say that "I could get into them!" For some reason, size 12 was my Rubicon.

You will wear those size 12 clothes sooner than you think! And then you will have to give them away because they're too large. Sooner than you think!
Old 06-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #1683
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
OMG Trillex, I LOVE it!! Look at how it shows off those killer collar bones!! You look amazing!!!

And thank you guys for the sweet treat ideas, they both sound soooo good! I'm going to try both of them!

Yesterday was my weekly weigh day and thankfully my sugar indiscretion didn't hit the scale too hard. I stayed my weight exactly, so I'm just happy for no gain. Hopefully this Sunday I'll have another lb or 2 loss!

I'm not eating as much protein since going organic. I've been eating more salad and veggies and cheese. I'm slowly getting used to the meat. You can really tell the difference between organic grass fed beef and your usual supermarket beef. Even the chicken is exploding with flavor i'm not used to tasting. I'm hoping to slowly increase the protein and scale back the veggies and cheese.
Thank you so much for the fashion tip! That was exactly the guidance I needed! It's difficult figuring out how to dress for a *different* set of figure problems than the ones I started the diet with. The last time I was this size, I didn't have a large middle so I had no idea how to deal with this situation. So I'm absolutely LOVING the off-shoulder look!

I hope you enjoy the mocha idea. It's not really *sweet* but I think it's tasty. And now that I've integrated "nuts and seeds" back into my diet, this drink has been a really great menu addition for my post-workout period.

Cacao contains a unique combination of phytonutrient "flavanols" that are particularly effective, nutritional antioxidants, which is great for the post-workout period because the "reactive oxygen species" (ROS) that are produced after a bout of exercise create the type of catabolic muscle tissue damage that we absolutely *don't* want. We want the muscle damage that exercise produces, because that damage mobilizes "mRNA" and causes the muscles to rebuild and reinforce the individual fibers in a way that makes us stronger and gives us greater endurance -- which is why bodybuilders get bigger and long-distance cyclists get stronger. But ROS scavenge the tissues in a way that doesn't contribute to future strength or greater muscle development, and cacao flavanols help to limit this ROS damage.

The caffeine is a beneficial post-workout nutrient because exercise stimulates the release of the "catecholamine" hormones, which send signals throughout the body to release fat from bodyfat stores into circulation. This is part of the human body's "fight or flight" response -- when physical stress is put on the body (for example, the physical work of exercise), the body adjusts fuel levels to be sure that the necessary energy will be available in case the body needs to do more physical work in the immediate future. This is one of the physical advantages that helped early humans escape from predator attacks and survive long enough to perpetuate our species. But the *release* of bodyfat isn't sufficient to actually *remove* fat from the body, the released fat has to be transported to tissues that will *burn* it or the fat will be restored to fat cells for future use. Caffeine in the post-workout period maximizes the work of the catecholamines and it also increases circulation and the metabolic burn rate in a way that promotes a better rate of burning the released fat, rather than restoring the released fat to the fat cells.

The whey protein is also a useful post-workout nutrient for several reasons. First of all, whether it's low-intensity cardio or high-intensity weight training or anything in between, exercise is always fueled by a certain percentage of glucose. On a very low-carb diet, the glycogen stores that *usually* supply glucose are depleted so the glucose that fuels exercise has to be synthesized (mostly) from protein (because only about 10% of fat -- only the "glycerol" portion of "triglycerides" -- can be synthesized into protein). An easily-digested protein source like whey can help mitigate any muscle protein breakdown that results from the body's production of glucose. Exercise also produces a period of about 30-45 minutes (after the workout bout has ended) in which "insulin sensitivity" is specifically elevated in muscle tissue. This is another one of the body's basic survival techniques. It's called "nutrient partitioning" and it's a mechanism that preferentially feeds fuel into muscle tissue, rather than feeding nutrients into storage as fat, as a way of making sure that the muscles will be strong enough the next time that the body is faced with physical challenges. Whey protein is especially popular with bodybuilders as post-workout nutrition (mostly because it's cheap but also) because whey is more effective than other protein sources at stimulating a level of insulin release that feeds nutrients into muscle cells during the post-workout period.

I've lived with enough bodybuilders to know *what* they eat. But since I've been on this diet, I have a much more detailed understanding of *why* they eat what they eat and about why the timing of certain meals is so important. I'm sure this is way more than you wanted to know about my mocha recipe! But I find this stuff really interesting. And I like knowing what food can *do* for me. A Starbuck's mocha would do nothing good for my body, but my little mocha is part of what makes me strong enough to "row" 50-pound dumbbells.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:52 AM   #1684
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
A Starbuck's mocha would do nothing good for my body, but my little mocha is part of what makes me strong enough to "row" 50-pound dumbbells.
whoa! I'm trying to imagine "rowing" 50 lb dumbbells! That is hardcore!
Thank you for all that, I love your detailed explainations about how things work, even something like a mocha recipe =)

I was looking at some organic protein powder at Whole Foods yesterday and it has less than 1carb per serving but the tub was HUUGGE and I'm not sure I want to make that kind of commitment to something I haven't tried yet.

I meant to just use instant decaf instead because I don't do caffeine and I have some organic decaf already but that is really good to know. Caffeine is really hard on me, like alcohol. It messes with my heart rate (my sinus node is a little off).

I didn't know any of that except that working out helps your body with insulin sensitivity because 2 years ago I was borderline diabetic and insulin resistant. Today, thanks to this diet and my work outs, my A1C results are perfectly normal. Yay!
Old 06-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #1685
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bucky
Stats: 209/180.1/160 5'10"
Start Date: 5/29/13
Trillex you certainly have some great info and tips. Thanks!

I actually have a Liz Claiborne size 12 pants hanging on my armoire door. That is my goal. I bought those a few years ago when they were closing her store near me. She carries extra tall sizes (I have a 36 inch inseam) so I stocked up! I am inching towards 14 right now.

Baby steps.

It's almost hump day.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #1686
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LauraDavis
Stats: 245.8/190.6/145
Start Date: March 2013
Made a throw together today. I started with 2 cups of riced cauliflower that I steamed. Then I made a cheese sauce using carbquick, I know not on induction but it was only 2 Tablespoons, half cream and half water. Then threw in some seasoned hamburger. OMG YUMMY!!!!
Old 06-12-2013, 12:05 AM   #1687
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
whoa! I'm trying to imagine "rowing" 50 lb dumbbells! That is hardcore!
Thank you for all that, I love your detailed explainations about how things work, even something like a mocha recipe =)

I was looking at some organic protein powder at Whole Foods yesterday and it has less than 1carb per serving but the tub was HUUGGE and I'm not sure I want to make that kind of commitment to something I haven't tried yet.

I meant to just use instant decaf instead because I don't do caffeine and I have some organic decaf already but that is really good to know. Caffeine is really hard on me, like alcohol. It messes with my heart rate (my sinus node is a little off).

I didn't know any of that except that working out helps your body with insulin sensitivity because 2 years ago I was borderline diabetic and insulin resistant. Today, thanks to this diet and my work outs, my A1C results are perfectly normal. Yay!
I think you are totally right about not buying a huge tub of protein powder without tasting it! I've tasted a lot of them, and I pretty much think that 99% of them are absolutely VILE tasting -- either they have a *funky* flavor or they have an unpleasant texture. The Isopure Zero-Carb Vanilla is the only one I really like. It basically has "no flavor" and just makes the drink creamy. I've tried the same brand in different flavors and I hated them all. But I'm very VERY picky about flavors and textures, so I can't really tell anyone else what is "good" and what is "bad" with regard to food.

Maybe you can get a sample to try...? Health food stores usually have good customer service and will give you samples of things. My dad is vegan and he is forever getting little samples from Whole Foods.

Exercise totally does improve insulin sensitivity! Among other things, exercise up-regulates an enzyme called "AMP-activated protein kinase" (AMPK), which researchers *think* specifically improves insulin sensitivity in muscle cells. The up-regulation of AMPK is part of an exercise-induced hormonal environment in which muscle cells become better able to manage glucose uptake, glycogen storage, and energy production. I totally won't be offended if you're not interested, but if you are interested in reading more, here is a recent study (from February 2013) that takes a look at AMPK and some exercise-induced mediations of insulin sensitivity:
AMPK is an evolutionary conserved sensor of cellular energy status that is activated during exercise. Pharmacological activation of AMPK promotes glucose uptake, fatty acid oxidation, mitochondrial biogenesis, and insulin sensitivity; processes that are reduced in obesity and contribute to the development of insulin resistance. AMPK deficient mouse models have been used to provide direct genetic evidence either supporting or refuting a role for AMPK in regulating these processes. Exercise promotes glucose uptake by an insulin dependent mechanism involving AMPK. Exercise is important for improving insulin sensitivity; however, it is not known if AMPK is required for these improvements. Understanding how these metabolic processes are regulated is important for the development of new strategies that target obesity-induced insulin resistance. This review will discuss the involvement of AMPK in regulating skeletal muscle metabolism (glucose uptake, glycogen synthesis, and insulin sensitivity).

AMPK and Exercise: Glucose Uptake and Insulin Sensitivity.
AMPK and Exercise: Glucose Uptake and Insul... [Diabetes Metab J. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI
Old 06-12-2013, 12:10 AM   #1688
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky View Post

I actually have a Liz Claiborne size 12 pants hanging on my armoire door. That is my goal. I bought those a few years ago when they were closing her store near me. She carries extra tall sizes (I have a 36 inch inseam) so I stocked up! I am inching towards 14 right now.

Baby steps.

It's almost hump day.
That is a LONG inseam! One of my former roommates had a long inseam -- I'm not sure how long, but she was 5'9" tall and *all* legs -- so she would pretty much buy any pair of pants in the store that were long enough to fit!
Old 06-12-2013, 12:11 AM   #1689
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraDavis View Post
Made a throw together today. I started with 2 cups of riced cauliflower that I steamed. Then I made a cheese sauce using carbquick, I know not on induction but it was only 2 Tablespoons, half cream and half water. Then threw in some seasoned hamburger. OMG YUMMY!!!!
I haven't shredded cauliflower in a while... Maybe I'll get some this weekend for some of next week's meals!
Old 06-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #1690
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
That is a LONG inseam! One of my former roommates had a long inseam -- I'm not sure how long, but she was 5'9" tall and *all* legs -- so she would pretty much buy any pair of pants in the store that were long enough to fit!
Yes, I am 5'10" with very long legs. And unfortunately that is where most of my weight is!

I may have to get some of that carbquick Laura! What other recipes can you use it for?
Old 06-13-2013, 12:02 AM   #1691
Major LCF Poster!

I made Cheddar Bay biscuits with it that were OMG so good. Even the bf ate them without gripin! You can use it to thicken sauces, make sausage gravy, make a white bread, cobblers... all kinds of stuff... there is a thread here with carbquick recipes.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #1692
Senior LCF Member

Every night this week I have had a BLT salad for dinner. We always buy some kind of meat to eat and I take one bite and throw it away. I'm REALLY having a hard time adjusting to grass-fed beef and free-range chicken.
Last night we got blue cheese hamburger patties from the deli and grilled some chicken skewers. I couldn't even tolerate the smell of the patties, I threw all 3 of them in the trash and the chicken was almost gamey. :s
Old 06-13-2013, 10:38 AM   #1693
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Next time, save for neighbors dog or cat. You could throw into a ziploc in the freezer, for time being. Most of them eat such trash in commericial pet foods, they would be your friend for life.

Grass fed beef can be an acquried taste. Because it is so lean, I typically supplement it with a bit of fat. Parmesan cheese makes a good addition.
I can't imagine what the problem was with your chicken, though. I've had several opportunties to see how chickens are raised in large confinements, and I have never eaten a confinement chicken since (to be best of my knowledge). That's a political statement, not one of taste, but I really find chickens raised naturally are much more flavorable. Maybe the chicken had just gone bad?
Old 06-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #1694
Major LCF Poster!

Ok was feeling a bit creative today. Wanted to make a fat bomb so I went lookin up recipes. They all seem like cookie cutter images of each other. This is where the creative came in.... lookin in the cupboard to see what I could come up with and the new idea is mocha fat bombs! They are in the freezer I'll let ya'll know how they turn out.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #1695
Major LCF Poster!

There does seem to be a bit of a formula to fat bombs. My recent concoction included protein powder which I was about ready to toss or feed by dog, cause I am really not into shakes as much as I try. They turned out pretty good, if a bit chewy. The really good ones, IMO, involve nut butter, but I tend to overeat so not going there again for a while. So I am trying out recipes that are not quite so tasty. I am not a chocoholic so a bit of cocao baking choco works, too.

Speaking of yummy fat bombs, is Literate Griffin still around? Her reciped for almond butter fat bombs was really good.

Last edited by Patience; 06-13-2013 at 03:38 PM..
Old 06-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #1696
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky View Post

Baby steps.

It's almost hump day.
My very favorite jeans are by Liz. I bought them used in a consignment shop.
One of the better of my $5 purchases. There were too snug to wear last year, and guess what? They are just loose enough to be comfey. I wear them as long as I can before washing so that they will last longer.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #1697
Major LCF Poster!

YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Next flavor combo is gonna be a caremel latte
Old 06-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #1698
Senior LCF Member

DH and I agreed maybe it was the dark meat chicken so we are going to try chicken breast this weekend. Tonight we are trying a different flavor gf ground beef patty and also bought some gf ribeye. They had dry aged! woohoo! And my daily salad of course!
Old 06-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #1699
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
Hey Guys, happy Friday. First day of summer vacation for my kids. I work from home so this is always a challenge. I have family coming from Scotland on Monday that will be staying with use for 10 days. We will be playing tour guide of the California amusement parks. Lots of eating out and so forth. Hoping just not to gain anything during the time. So I won't be around here much in the next couple of weeks but know that I am fine.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:31 AM   #1700
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Keepingawake
Stats: 310/260/200
Start Date: April 2013
Hey everybody! I'm getting ready to head out on trip number one (to Africa), so I'll be MIA for a little bit. The last few days have gone well, though I feel like I'm stalling a bit. Hopefully the traveling will help me break through the stall! I hope everyone is doing well!
Old 06-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #1701
Senior LCF Member

Liz has some great stuff. I loved her Liz Golf line. They closed her store here and I believe that JCPenney carries her line now but I haven't been there to check it out.

Safe travels Awake!

OK, what is a fat bomb?!

Stevie - the amusement parks may post their menus or give you a synopsis of what restaurants serve what. I did that when we went to Cedar Point and Kings Island last year.

TGIF!
Old 06-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #1702
Major LCF Poster!

a fat bomb is a treat made mostly of fat... my mocha ones go like this:

Mocha Fat Bomb
3/4 C coconut oil
4 T butter
2 T Almond butter
1 1/2 - 2 t instant coffee
2 T SF Davinchi Hazelnut syrup
1/3 - 1/2 cup splenda or whatever ya use
2 T cocoa

mix instant coffee with syrup. Mix all fats together until smooth add syrup, splenda and cocoa. Mix well. Divide into 12 paper lined mini muffin pan. Freeze about 20 mins. Enjoy!

Going to grab one now...
Old 06-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #1703
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
My fat bombs are very basic

100gm melted butter
100gm melted coconut oil
pinch salt
2T splenda
2T cocoa.

Pour into mini cupcake cups and freeze untiltime to eat
Old 06-14-2013, 10:18 PM   #1704
Major LCF Poster!

see I try to be simple and somewhere it just always goes wrong...
Old 06-15-2013, 03:32 AM   #1705
Major LCF Poster!

I walked past the measuring tape tonight so I grabbed it and measured my waist. 3 1/4 inches gone!
Old 06-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #1706
Senior LCF Member

I wish I could stomach a fat bomb, that sounds SOOO yummy right now.

Went on a 4 hour hike this morning. My legs were almost numb by the time I got back down the mountain. Doing it again tomorrow!

I loved the beef, it was very good dry aged. We are trying the white meat chicken now, DH is grilling it atm.

Have a great trip keepingawake and that sounds like a lot of fun and WALKING Big Stevie! I'm sure you will do great =)
Old 06-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #1707
Major LCF Poster!

Today is a milestone. I've lost 30#. Really didn't think it would happen after awful last month. I'm at goal for the month so I've added 5 more # to goal for month.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #1708
Senior LCF Member

Congrats Laura, that's so great!!
Old 06-16-2013, 07:07 AM   #1709
Senior LCF Member

Today is my weigh day. I'm still exactly the same 169, two weeks in a row (or has it been 3?). On the one hand, it's still a relief to NOT see 170 something, but I would really like to see some more distance from 170.

I haven't really been sticking to the induction food list, which is probably why i'm not losing. I'm not eating much protein at all and eating mostly salad and allowed veggies, but more veggies than 1 cup.

I need to get my diet right again now that I've fully transitioned over to organics. I don't eat nuts maybe 1 or 2 a week max. I need to go back to eating eggs every morning. Now that I found free range chicken that is good (it came out really great last night) and some gf beef I like I should be able to up the protein and lower the veggies.

I would really like to lose 1-2lbs this week!! I don't like to set weight goals for myself because it feels so self-defeating when I don't make my goals. But I would really REALLY love to see 165!! Honestly, I cannot remember the last time I was under 166. I had to have been maybe 21 or 22 years old?

I need to subscribe to one of those induction threads where you post your daily food so I will stay on track.

I hope everyone is enjoying the weekend! Going on my 2nd hike this weekend. This one should be 6 hours, instead of 4. FUN! =)

Last edited by cmcd1070; 06-16-2013 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: how many weeks in a row??
Old 06-16-2013, 03:35 PM   #1710
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Since I did the meat and egg, Im finding it quite easy to stay strict induction. I think its because after not being allowed anything but M&E for 5 days, I realised just how wonderful that 1/2 a cup of salad really is
Closed Thread