Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #1651
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraDavis View Post
I did it!!!!!! 219!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YAY, LAURAAAAA!!! Your patience has paid off and you've finally hit that milestone -- as we all knew you would!

Keep killing it, girl!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #1652
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
Hello everyone! Can I join your little soiree?!

Coming to the end of my second week on induction and am loving this life choice that I have made. I have more energy and am sleeping better.

It's encouraging to see others doing the same and sharing their journeys and progress.

I have my next weigh in on Tuesday and think that the scale will be a little lower. Fingers crossed!

ETA: I have a ticker I want to add but how do I do that? I do not see a signature edit choice in the user control panel.
Welcome to Atkins, Bucky!

I haven't made a signature but I *think* you have to be a forum member for a certain period of time -- or maybe have a certain number of posts? -- before you're allowed to add a signature. When the signature option is available, it will be on "Your Control Panel" (the boxes on the left side of the "User Control Panel") > "Settings & Options" > "Edit Signature"
Old 06-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #1653
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Keepingawake
Stats: 310/260/200
Start Date: April 2013
Quote:
I did it!!!!!! 219!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!! How wonderful!
Old 06-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #1654
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepingawake View Post
We're going to be in Rome and Tuscany mostly, but we plan on getting around a bit.
Awww! Is this your mom's first trip to Italy? You're going to have an amazing time!

Honestly, Rome and Tuscany should be easy-peasy with regard to staying on plan. I hate to make sweeping generalizations about cultures BUT the service culture in Rome and most of central Italy, in my experience, interprets special menu requests as "discernment" and the servers work extra hard to make sure the diner is getting what she wants. For example, I *dislike* the mingling of "wet" foods and "dry" foods, and I've had MANY Roman chefs come out of the kitchen to make sure that I was happy with the way they responded to my request. I've actually had chefs stand over me and watch me eat a few bites, to make sure I was honestly enjoying the meal. So I'm nodding and smiling and saying, "Mmmm... Delizioso!"

And in Tuscany, in my experience, restaurants take a BIZARRE level of pride in their vegetables. Servers will be, like, "Is this not the best mushroom you've ever had? Be honest, you've never had a mushroom this good before. Let yourself enjoy it!" You'll order green beans, for example, and they'll come out of the kitchen on a platter, individually arranged in a single layer so that you can see the beauty and uniformity of the beans. And the veggies are seldom cooked with additives or a lot of sauces, so that you can truly appreciate the *superior* flavor of Tuscan vegetables.

I'm always so SAD when I leave Italy, because I come home and it's like nobody cares enough to carefully arrange tomato slices for me...
Old 06-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #1655
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hello everyone! Can I join your little soiree?!

Coming to the end of my second week on induction and am loving this life choice that I have made. I have more energy and am sleeping better.

It's encouraging to see others doing the same and sharing their journeys and progress.

I have my next weigh in on Tuesday and think that the scale will be a little lower. Fingers crossed!

ETA: I have a ticker I want to add but how do I do that? I do not see a signature edit choice in the user control panel.
Welcome Bucky!
Old 06-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #1656
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
Awww! Is this your mom's first trip to Italy? You're going to have an amazing time!
It is! She's so excited! I'm excited, too, but I think more for the chance to see her enjoy the trip than just the trip itself.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #1657
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
I'm always so SAD when I leave Italy, because I come home and it's like nobody cares enough to carefully arrange tomato slices for me...

Aww, poor baby!
Old 06-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #1658
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PassionateFire
Start Date: September 4, 2012
Quote:

I know how you feel! I bawl like a baby every time we have to leave Mexico, even though I'm a Canadian with Irish-English roots it feels like Mexico is home to me!
Old 06-09-2013, 07:48 AM   #1659
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bucky
Stats: 209/180.1/160 5'10"
Start Date: 5/29/13
Good Sunday! Sundays are like coming back from a mini-vaca with work the next day. Ha!

Having a lazy Sunday morning after getting the hubby up and out the door at 5:30 AM, although I went back to bed for 2 hours. I never get to sleep in!

Going to the farmers market and grocery today to stock up, make the no carb vinaigerette dressing recipe and prep lunches for week.

Weather here is hot hot hot!
Old 06-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #1660
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LauraDavis
Stats: 245.8/190.6/145
Trillex another whoosh today 218.6. So excited guess my body caught up with itself. I think it has here that they were talking about your body having memory points.. I was at 220 for a long time so I guess it was one of my bodies spots to be hard to get over.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #1661
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
Quote:
Trillex another whoosh today 218.6. So excited guess my body caught up with itself. I think it has here that they were talking about your body having memory points.. I was at 220 for a long time so I guess it was one of my bodies spots to be hard to get over.
I told you so I told you so I told you so I told you so I told you so I told you so I told you so I told you so I told you so I told you so I told you so I told you so I told you so I told you so I told you so

Oh ye of little faith just have some patience and eat the right stuff and it will happen. Way to go!

Last edited by Big Stevie; 06-09-2013 at 02:36 PM..
Old 06-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #1662
Major LCF Poster!

Guess what I got on today?!?!?!?!? The next size down jean. They must run a lil bigger than most of them cuz the rest of the 14s I can't get buttoned. Also by no means can I wear them out in public yet, can you say MUFFIN TOP FROM HELL!!!!! But I can get them buttoned and zipped.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #1663
Major LCF Poster!

Hmm I do believe your right Steve!!!!
Old 06-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #1664
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Guess what I got on today?!?!?!?!? The next size down jean. They must run a lil bigger than most of them cuz the rest of the 14s I can't get buttoned. Also by no means can I wear them out in public yet, can you say MUFFIN TOP FROM HELL!!!!! But I can get them buttoned and zipped.
This is cool. You will be fitting perfectly in no time. I am four different sizes and about to get into my sixth size down, 34 which was my goal in terms a pants size when I started. They are just a little too tight right now. But in another week or two I will get in them.

I wore some jeans to church this morning and new tight fitting shirt. I usually wear pleated slacks and dress shirt. I had about 15 different people come up to me and say things about my weight loss. It is amazing, that everyone seems to notice the same day. It is nice to be wearing clothes that fit me right as well. I keep hitting the thrift stores and buying new sizes. I am almost ready to start buying a new wardrobe.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:08 PM   #1665
Major LCF Poster!

I love GoodWill they rock!!!!

Uggh I ate 3 slices of tomato and my stomach is feeling awful! Had BLTs for dinner so I just ate the tomato and bacon.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #1666
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I love GoodWill they rock!!!!

Uggh I ate 3 slices of tomato and my stomach is feeling awful! Had BLTs for dinner so I just ate the tomato and bacon.
I love blt's. I have been eating the wrapped in lettuce with mayo, bacon, tomato and avocado since day one. Sorry they hurt your stomach today.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #1667
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Congrats! You're in the zone now!
Old 06-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #1668
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That's great news! I just put on a pair of jeans that wouldn't come close to buttoning a month ago that now fit fine (albeit a bit snug). I'm going to wear them tomorrow!
Old 06-09-2013, 09:10 PM   #1669
Senior LCF Member

WooHoo all the losers!

Ive got a question. Does anyone have a reciepe in grams of a totally induction freindly salad - veges only. If so, could you tell me is it a once a day, or twice a day amount. Ive been reading over my DANDR (1999) and Im actually a bit confused by some of the measurements because I know there are some differences from country to country with cup and spoon sizing.

Ive been meat and egging for a few days but want to add back in salad tommorrow BUT want to make sure I am still super low for carbs so I dont regain all I lost.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #1670
Major LCF Poster!

I think it was the tomato I haven't had alot of it in the last month... other than a tomato juice every now and then when I get a craving.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:29 AM   #1671
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
YAY!!! Laura! I'm SO EXCITED for you! I'm super excited that you're finally *seeing* the concrete results of your efforts!

I'm not surprised by this news, though. I AM NOT SURPRISED, Laura! The scale is just NOT a tool that can accurately track bodyfat loss.

I understand and respect the limitations of the scale better than most people, I think, because I grew up surrounded by the bodybuilding culture. Competitive bodybuilders *don't* use the scale to track bodyfat loss. They will honestly trust a coach or a training partner to just *look* at them and gauge fat loss before they'll trust the scale (usually they will get what are called "DEXA scans" to quantitatively track body composition changes, though). I wish I could show you some of the many examples of why the scale is so problematic, but it's just something that you learn through actually seeing it happen.

True story: One of my ex-boyfriends is a competitive bodybuilder and his "post-contest meal" was an extra-large "everything" pizza, a couple of liters of Sprite, usually Cheetohs or Doritos, and a dozen Krispy Kremes. He would gain 15-30 scale pounds by morning. But he'd "cut" down to 5% bodyfat for competition, so it would take him a couple of weeks to get his bodyfat back up to his 8-10% "maintenance" level of bodyfat, but his scale weight would fluctuate like crazy during the re-gain period because scale weight isn't *directly* related to bodyfat levels (at least not in the short term).

You would *think* that killing a half-dozen bags of Cheetohs, with a jumbo pizza, and an entire box of Krispy Kremes would bump the bodyfat up a bit. But NOPE! The human body just doesn't work that way. The body takes *time* to process things. Just as it takes a while to genuinely lose bodyfat, it also takes a while to put the fat back on. Bodyfat changes in the human system don't happen instantly, they're the result of cumulative processes. So persistence and time pay off -- ALWAYS. We don't have the technology right now to *force* the body to show us what we want to see when we want to see it, but time and persistence will eventually take you to where you want to go. ALWAYS!

One more example from bodybuilding: There's a super extreme "cutting" diet that bodybuilders use when their bodyfat is too high too close to competition. Basically, on six days per week, they eat 2g of protein for every pound of lean body mass, and they take essential fatty acid supplements. And that's about all they eat, six days per week. Then, to compensate for the metabolic down-regulation of such an extreme diet, they "re-feed" one day per week, eating 20% over maintenance calories on the re-feed day. The weird thing is that *typically* the scale will stay within the same 2-3 pound range on their protein days, fluctuating up and down, and then the scale will drop down a bunch of pounds the day after the re-feed. They didn't lose those scale pounds by eating 20% over maintenance for one, single day. It's just that the body does *weird* things with water while it's cutting bodyfat.

Anyway, I know that you already know how flawed the scale is. But I just wanted to point these things out because it can be a difficult thing to deal with when you're working so hard on achieving your goals. I think it's a bit *easier* for me because I'm surrounded by bodybuilders so I've *seen* hard work pay off, time after time. And I think it will get *easier* for you when you keep seeing your hard work pay off, time after time. So, just keep going! No matter what the scale says today, no matter what size you're wearing today, you won't ever see those numbers again if you just keep going.

Congratulations, sister!
Old 06-10-2013, 01:44 AM   #1672
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateFire View Post
I know how you feel! I bawl like a baby every time we have to leave Mexico, even though I'm a Canadian with Irish-English roots it feels like Mexico is home to me!
I know exactly what you mean! Some places are just so welcoming and hospitable that it doesn't matter if the culture is "foreign," it's still easy to become immersed in it and feel like it's a natural part of you. I have honestly cried on the plane while leaving Italy -- I have shed real tears! I just feel so much *love* there, and it runs very deep.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:45 AM   #1673
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Going to the farmers market and grocery today to stock up, make the no carb vinaigerette dressing recipe and prep lunches for week.
I prep my weekly meals on Sundays, too! It's just so much easier.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:48 AM   #1674
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
I wore some jeans to church this morning and new tight fitting shirt. I usually wear pleated slacks and dress shirt. I had about 15 different people come up to me and say things about my weight loss. It is amazing, that everyone seems to notice the same day. It is nice to be wearing clothes that fit me right as well. I keep hitting the thrift stores and buying new sizes. I am almost ready to start buying a new wardrobe.
That's fantastic! You're almost at goal. I'm so excited for your "goal" post!

Be warned: I will shout "gooooooolazooooo!" really loud in Spanish when you post...
Old 06-10-2013, 01:52 AM   #1675
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepingawake View Post
I just put on a pair of jeans that wouldn't come close to buttoning a month ago that now fit fine (albeit a bit snug). I'm going to wear them tomorrow!
You are absolutely KILLING IT! Your students and colleagues won't recognize you by autumn.

I think this progress will provide ultra-motivation for you while you're traveling. And I think that's a great bonus, beyond all of the other benefits of losing size.

Edited to add:
While you're in Italy (especially in Rome) -- as tempting as I'm sure it will be -- don't buy fabulous new clothes to fit your new size (unless, of course, you're at goal by then). Because the size changes keep happening. I know that this is kind of a ridiculously *obvious* thing to say. But I fell into the trap where I felt so great at size 12 that I spent premium money on clothes that -- for some insane reason -- I thought I would still be able to wear at goal. What?! I was, like, "Oh, I can just wear a belt if I lose more weight." WHAT was I thinking?! I didn't even get a fraction of my money's worth out of those clothes because, even though it takes me a relatively long time to lose a single clothing size, I still only spent about 3 months wearing a size 12.

And I've been *that person* in Italy, where I was "just looking" in a boutique and, the next thing I know, they're shipping outfits to my home address. The garments are SO beautiful... But they won't shrink as you shrink. Just sayin'.

Last edited by Trillex; 06-10-2013 at 02:03 AM.. Reason: Forgot to add something...
Old 06-10-2013, 02:14 AM   #1676
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeetle View Post
WooHoo all the losers!

Ive got a question. Does anyone have a reciepe in grams of a totally induction freindly salad - veges only. If so, could you tell me is it a once a day, or twice a day amount. Ive been reading over my DANDR (1999) and Im actually a bit confused by some of the measurements because I know there are some differences from country to country with cup and spoon sizing.

Ive been meat and egging for a few days but want to add back in salad tommorrow BUT want to make sure I am still super low for carbs so I dont regain all I lost.
Before I moved up to the first rung of ongoing weight loss, I strictly followed the induction instructions in my version of DANDR (2002). So I used the "one cup" measurements for the veggies, as listed in my copy of the book, and I ate less than 3 total cups of veggies each day. My copy of the book has a list of "salad" veggies that I could eat "two cups" of per day, and a list of "other" veggies that I could eat "one cup" of per day. A US cup is 8 ounces by volume, I'm not sure how that translates to other systems.

Because the volume of a single (8 ounce) cup is so small, I didn't make salads that often because the salads would have been tiny. So I usually made *heartier* side veggies, like broccoli or zucchini or brussels sprouts. Because I found a cup of those to be more satisfying than a single cup of "leafy" veggies.

I like salads with grilled fish, though, so I would make small chopped salads to serve with fish. Basically, I would chop cilantro and arugula and spinach together and measure out one cupful as almost a "garnish" for the fish.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:49 AM   #1677
Senior LCF Member

Thanx for those numbers trillex. I was able to calculate it out. I know 1ml of water weights 1gm, so I just weighted 8 oz of water. It came to 230gm, which is 20gm short of our NZ 250gm cup measure.

So 3 cups of induction veggies would be 690gms, not 750gm.

I hate fish, so I stick to chicken, lamb, beef and pork. And eggs. Lots and lots of eggs.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #1678
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmcd1070
Stats: pre-op 240/now 167/goal 130
WOE: Organic Low Carb
Start Date: WLS 2-8-11. Atkins (reboot) 4-7-14
Quote:
So... My signature summer look this year is -- taa-daah! -- retro off-shoulder tunics with a lycra camisole (for tummy smoothing) as a base layer. You are a GENIUS! I think it's going to work really well. And it's comfortable and lightweight for summer.

I've updated my avatar pic with a sample of the new summer look.

(Your consulting fee is in the mail... HaHa!)

Okay, back to our regularly scheduled diet talk.
OMG Trillex, I LOVE it!! Look at how it shows off those killer collar bones!! You look amazing!!!

And thank you guys for the sweet treat ideas, they both sound soooo good! I'm going to try both of them!

Yesterday was my weekly weigh day and thankfully my sugar indiscretion didn't hit the scale too hard. I stayed my weight exactly, so I'm just happy for no gain. Hopefully this Sunday I'll have another lb or 2 loss!

I'm not eating as much protein since going organic. I've been eating more salad and veggies and cheese. I'm slowly getting used to the meat. You can really tell the difference between organic grass fed beef and your usual supermarket beef. Even the chicken is exploding with flavor i'm not used to tasting. I'm hoping to slowly increase the protein and scale back the veggies and cheese.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #1679
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
went out and bought myself a nice package of steaks from Costco and 2 new shirts to celebrate
Congrats!! =) That's a fabulous way to celebrate low carb!!
Old 06-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #1680
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
And in Tuscany, in my experience, restaurants take a BIZARRE level of pride in their vegetables. Servers will be, like, "Is this not the best mushroom you've ever had? Be honest, you've never had a mushroom this good before. Let yourself enjoy it!" You'll order green beans, for example, and they'll come out of the kitchen on a platter, individually arranged in a single layer so that you can see the beauty and uniformity of the beans. And the veggies are seldom cooked with additives or a lot of sauces, so that you can truly appreciate the *superior* flavor of Tuscan vegetables.

haha =) You tell the best stories! Now I want to go have veggies in Tuscany!
Closed Thread