Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #1621
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraDavis View Post
I'm trying to keep in mind that there was still a loss durning the month so that's good... I didn't go backward or anything like that
You're super smart and one of the most clever people I've seen with regard to developing new recipes and stuff. And you've kept going, even though Terry quit. You're strong. You're making great progress! And I'm really proud of all you're doing because I honestly believe it isn't all about what the scale says every day.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #1622
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
Morns.g everyone. Now at 16 days no loss and another small increase. Its getting hard to keep the faith
Old 06-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #1623
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeetle View Post
Morns.g everyone. Now at 16 days no loss and another small increase. Its getting hard to keep the faith
You're so CLOSE to goal, Beetle, it must get more difficult as your body has less fat to draw from. I'm excited to be approaching goal but I'm DREADING the slowdown that everyone seems to report when they get to about 10 pounds away... My *goal* weight is 10 pounds heavier than my lowest adult weight so I'm *hoping* that will make it a bit easier to get to my goal weight...? But who knows?!

Hang in there! I want to visit you girls in the South Pacific someday and *rock* a sarong skirt on your beaches, so we've gotta get to goal and look amazing!
Old 06-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #1624
Senior LCF Member

Trillix, you'd rock no matter what you were. You're freaking awesome lol.

Yeah the slow down stop blows frankly. I didn't think it would happen to me. That'll learn me to be smug. I guess im building character or something
Old 06-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #1625
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernBelle
Stats: 296/154/149
Start Date: May 29, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
Welcome to Atkins, Belle!

As Big Stevie recently told another poster, I honestly think that the best approach is to just buy one of the books and follow the instructions in it. The versions vary a bit but, based on the results I've seen on the forum, I think that all of the versions are probably about equally effective. I've heard people say that they get *faster* results from the original, 1970s version. But I haven't read that book, so I don't know *how* that version is different from the others.

My favorite thing about the Atkins diet is that it's very simple, so there's not a lot of room for *error*. I've been following the 2002 version of the book Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution and I've been very happy with the progress I've made by simply eating the foods on the induction lists in the book.

I hope you enjoy Atkins as much as I have! Welcome!
Thanks for the welcome Triflex! I missed your post earlier.

I have what I assume is the 2002 version of the book. I just haven't dug it out yet (smh). If memory serves, the cover is turquoise blue or maybe it is pale yellow. It's just about inexcusable that I haven't read it yet.

Years ago, I was on what must be considered the 70s version. I think I counted carbs not net carbs and the daily limit was either 60g or 40g. At any rate, it definitely worked so I have faith in the plan.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #1626
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Yeah the slow down stop blows frankly. I didn't think it would happen to me. That'll learn me to be smug. I guess im building character or something
HaHa! I feel like I *know* the slowdown happens and it's just a fact of life -- but PLEASE don't happen to me! So, this is the first month -- for the ENTIRE time I've been dieting -- that I'm actually dreading my next end-of-month weigh-in because I'm past the 85 pound mark and this is where it seems like people really start to slow down... But, hey, I'm 85 pounds lighter and my back pain is gone so, even if I *gained* weight at the end of this month, I would still be SO MUCH BETTER OFF THAN I WAS. So, I'll happily take whatever comes from this moment forward.

Please remind me that I said this, when I'm CRYING to you all about my lousy progress at the end of next month...

Avid just posted in the Main Lobby that he's at GOAL this morning! Honestly, only two or three weeks ago he posted about being stuck... So some people seem to have good drops that take them to goal -- I hope you'll be like Avid and see this pause followed by a drop that takes you to goal!
Old 06-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #1627
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelle View Post
I have what I assume is the 2002 version of the book. I just haven't dug it out yet (smh). If memory serves, the cover is turquoise blue or maybe it is pale yellow. It's just about inexcusable that I haven't read it yet.

Years ago, I was on what must be considered the 70s version. I think I counted carbs not net carbs and the daily limit was either 60g or 40g. At any rate, it definitely worked so I have faith in the plan.
I honestly think it's a good book! It's pretty straightforward and Atkins seems to have a good focus on telling dieters what we *need* to know, without spending too much time on extraneous issues. I've gone back and re-read it a few times since I started last May, just to keep different issues clear in my head as I move through different experiences and phases of the diet.

It seems like people do really well on the diet, even if they don't do *exactly* what the book says. But I try to stick very closely to what Dr Atkins specifically says in the book -- not what my trainer or other random bodybuilders or anybody else tells me is a good idea. Atkins worked with thousands of clinical patients over the course of his career, so I feel like he's the ultimate authority on his program. It's worked out pretty well for me, so far. I like meat and seafood a lot, so it's actually been pretty easy to follow the diet.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:07 AM   #1628
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmcd1070
Stats: pre-op 240/now 167/goal 130
WOE: Organic Low Carb
Start Date: WLS 2-8-11. Atkins (reboot) 4-7-14
So... since moving to purely organic non-GMO foods, I had to give up my little indulgence of low carb ice cream in the evening. I have gone several days without it (and coincidentally had pretty decent scale results, for me anyways) but last night DH was craving something sweet. We tried unsucessfully to find an organic equivalent to low carb ice cream at Whole Foods (really, who were we kidding?) but of course there was nothing. So DH found the lowest carb organic frozen treat he could find. He hated it. So I (hate to waste things, esp. when they're so darn expensive) decide to try to eat it. Yah. REALLY bad idea. My body reacted SO violently to the sugar that I was crying in pain for over an hour, laying on the ground in the fetal position and had to take my emergency stomach medicine (which I haven't taken in a long time now).
The next time I am tempted to go off plan I will REALLY have a reason to think twice!!!!
I hate to think how this little diversion will show up on the scale on Sunday too =(
Old 06-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #1629
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcd1070 View Post
So... since moving to purely organic non-GMO foods, I had to give up my little indulgence of low carb ice cream in the evening. I have gone several days without it (and coincidentally had pretty decent scale results, for me anyways) but last night DH was craving something sweet. We tried unsucessfully to find an organic equivalent to low carb ice cream at Whole Foods (really, who were we kidding?) but of course there was nothing. So DH found the lowest carb organic frozen treat he could find. He hated it. So I (hate to waste things, esp. when they're so darn expensive) decide to try to eat it. Yah. REALLY bad idea. My body reacted SO violently to the sugar that I was crying in pain for over an hour, laying on the ground in the fetal position and had to take my emergency stomach medicine (which I haven't taken in a long time now).
The next time I am tempted to go off plan I will REALLY have a reason to think twice!!!!
I hate to think how this little diversion will show up on the scale on Sunday too =(
HUGS!!! That sounds AWFUL! My friend's mom had WLS a few years ago, and she got served some pasta with tomato sauce that had a lot of sugar in it -- which she wasn't expecting -- and her tummy reacted so badly, she had to leave the restaurant at her son's engagement party. She went pale and sweaty and it was awful to watch. I was trying to give her some water to settle her tummy, and she was, like, "I can't drink any water right now!" I've known this woman my whole life and I've never seen her get upset until she had that marinara sauce. It looked painful.

I am the BIGGEST wimp in the world with regard to tummy issues. I rarely get them -- thank God -- but when I get a tummy flu, I'm the biggest baby in the world about it. So, HUGS!

I don't know if this will help -- because I'm currently on the "nuts and seeds" rung of the Atkins ongoing weight loss ladder, so please forgive me if this suggestion is inappropriate for you while you're on induction... But I've been eating nuts on Sundays since the second month that I've been on Atkins and I developed a tasty, all-natural "mocha latte" that I often have with breakfast on Sundays. And now that I'm re-integrating "nuts and seeds" into my diet, I've been making this drink on a more regular basis. I've also served this mocha when I had colleagues over, after they've come to my house when they've gone out on fitness walks with me, and my colleagues all LOVE this mocha! It isn't a *frozen treat* but it's creamy and I think it's tasty, and it's lactose-free and sugar-free.

The recipe is:
  • 1/2 cup of (So Delicious) unsweetened coconut milk
  • 1 scoop of (Isopure Zero-Carb) vanilla whey protein powder
  • 1 tablespoon of (Dagoba organic) unsweetened cacao powder
  • 2 teaspoons of (Mount Hagen organic) instant coffee
  • 1/4 cup of hot water from the kettle

First, I mix the protein powder, cacao powder, and instant coffee into the coconut milk until it forms a sort of smooth *liquid paste*. I have to mix the ingredients together before I add the hot water because, if I don't pre-mix, then the hot water will cause the protein powder to *curdle*. Then, I let the mixture *settle* for about 15 minutes because I've found (through experience) that the drink is creamier when the ingredients have had time to *absorb* moisture from the coconut milk. Then, right before I'm ready to drink it, I add the 1/4 cup of hot water to the glass.

The drink has:
151 calories
3g total carbs (2g fiber, 1g net carbs)
2g fat
26g protein

The cacao and the coconut milk are "nut" products, so this mocha isn't induction-level. But I wanted to mention this drink, in case you might be interested. It's not a very *sweet* beverage -- I prefer strong coffee drinks to sweet coffee drinks. But if you like a rich, satisfying mocha drink, then you might enjoy this. My colleagues all really enjoyed it -- a couple of them had me pick up some cacao powder for them so they could make it at home!

The Isopure protein powder is not organic, although it is pure ion-exchanged and micro-filtered whey, and the Isopure also contains some of the sucralose artificial sweetener. Jay Robb makes a protein powder that contains no artificial sweeteners -- it uses stevia -- but I (personally) didn't like the taste. My dad, who is vegan, gave me some Nutiva organic hemp protein powder -- which is totally sweetener-free and certified organic -- but I (personally) hated that stuff and will never put it into my mouth ever again. Although, my dad finds it tasty. And a few other people (all vegans) have told me that they like it. So, I may just be being overly picky about it.

Anyway, that's just an idea that occurred to me in response to your situation...
Old 06-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #1630
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
For a sweet treat, try whipped heavy cream. I always have some on hand for such occasions. I usually put splenda, cinnamon and a little coco powder. You can whip it up on the thick side and put it in the refridgeator and it will harden up a little. It taste really good, it gets your fats up for the day, and it has no carbs. Just watch it because it does have lots of calories.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:42 PM   #1631
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Keepingawake
Stats: 310/260/200
Start Date: April 2013
Hello all,

I'm new to the board, but not to Atkins. I was quite successful at low carb about 10 years ago and kept the weight off for over five years. Grad school and job stress slowly packed on the pounds, so I'm back in the saddle. I started again about five weeks ago and have had good results. I love the community on this board and am inspired by the posts -- and of course, the transformations. Hopefully I can contribute a bit as well!
Old 06-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #1632
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LauraDavis
Stats: 245.8/190.6/145
Keepingawake. Glad to have ya with us.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:44 AM   #1633
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepingawake View Post
Hello all,

I'm new to the board, but not to Atkins. I was quite successful at low carb about 10 years ago and kept the weight off for over five years. Grad school and job stress slowly packed on the pounds, so I'm back in the saddle. I started again about five weeks ago and have had good results. I love the community on this board and am inspired by the posts -- and of course, the transformations. Hopefully I can contribute a bit as well!
Welcome back to Atkins! Congratulations on your progress so far!
Old 06-06-2013, 07:49 AM   #1634
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcd1070 View Post
And wow, look at your collarbones!!

Get a black tank top with a lycra blend and you're solid!!
I have to tell you that you are a FASHION GENIUS!

I've been thinking about your advice in the post I've quoted above and I totally took your suggestions to heart. So... My signature summer look this year is -- taa-daah! -- retro off-shoulder tunics with a lycra camisole (for tummy smoothing) as a base layer. You are a GENIUS! I think it's going to work really well. And it's comfortable and lightweight for summer.

I've updated my avatar pic with a sample of the new summer look.

(Your consulting fee is in the mail... HaHa!)

Okay, back to our regularly scheduled diet talk.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #1635
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/139.4/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
LOVE it Trillex!! You look great!!
Old 06-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #1636
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
LOVE it Trillex!! You look great!!
Thanks, MG!

Honestly, though, I would NEVER have thought of this if CMCD hadn't made those suggestions. I felt a bit *petty* for complaining about my sarong situation but now I'm SO GLAD that I mentioned it!

All of you Induction Babies are life savers. Bless!
Old 06-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #1637
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I have to tell you that you are a FASHION GENIUS!

I've been thinking about your advice in the post I've quoted above and I totally took your suggestions to heart. So... My signature summer look this year is -- taa-daah! -- retro off-shoulder tunics with a lycra camisole (for tummy smoothing) as a base layer. You are a GENIUS! I think it's going to work really well. And it's comfortable and lightweight for summer.

I've updated my avatar pic with a sample of the new summer look.

(Your consulting fee is in the mail... HaHa!)

Okay, back to our regularly scheduled diet talk.
I love your new picture!
Old 06-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #1638
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PassionateFire
Stats: 228.5/189.9/150-160 LBM 125
Start Date: September 4, 2012
Quote:
Thanks, MG!

Honestly, though, I would NEVER have thought of this if CMCD hadn't made those suggestions. I felt a bit *petty* for complaining about my sarong situation but now I'm SO GLAD that I mentioned it!

All of you Induction Babies are life savers. Bless!
Very cute look & those collar bones are AMAZING!!!!
Old 06-06-2013, 01:12 PM   #1639
Senior LCF Member

Trillex, you look great. Mind you, with your genetics you were always going to be very striking. The Maori boys will be following in your wake
Old 06-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #1640
Senior LCF Member

The Voyage Out... of plan?

Thank you for the warm welcome! I don't usually participate in this kind of thing, but this is such a warm and positive place.

Today was fairly successful -- I stayed on plan, drank almost 100oz of water (!), and even got a good amount of exercise in. My new favorite activity is trying on clothes which now fit (or almost fit) which I haven't been able to wear in quite some time. Still, I'm preoccupied by two fairly trips that are coming up which might make this WOE more challenging. Normally, I teach during the summer, but I decided last summer to take a break and travel. My partner and I are going to South Africa and Botswana for two weeks. We then return home for a week or so and head back out to Italy (with my mom, who is adorable, btw; we're taking her to Italy to celebrate her retirement). I'm really excited about both trips; normally, I work non-stop, so this is going to be a big shift for me. I'm also quite nervous about staying on plan, especially in Italy (and even on the plane -- how weird is that?). I'm not afraid of temptation as much as I am afraid of not being able to eat or find food. Do any of you have good travel advice for me? Any tips that helped you through your trips?
Old 06-06-2013, 10:17 PM   #1641
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
Welcome keeping awake. The key to success is planning. Take food with you on your trip. If Atkins bars work for you, take them for emergencies. For two weeks in Africa it will be hard but you need to do the best you can. Don't say forget about it. Stay in plan every chance you can. When you find good food, buy extra so you will be good for a long amount of time. Ask the hotel if they pack food to go, most of them will. If forced to go off plan, limit the carbs as much as possible don't go wild.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #1642
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
Welcome keeping awake. The key to success is planning. Take food with you on your trip. If Atkins bars work for you, take them for emergencies. For two weeks in Africa it will be hard but you need to do the best you can. Don't say forget about it. Stay in plan every chance you can. When you find good food, buy extra so you will be good for a long amount of time. Ask the hotel if they pack food to go, most of them will. If forced to go off plan, limit the carbs as much as possible don't go wild.
Thanks, Big Stevie -- that's great advice!
Old 06-06-2013, 11:28 PM   #1643
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepingawake View Post
Thank you for the warm welcome! I don't usually participate in this kind of thing, but this is such a warm and positive place.

Today was fairly successful -- I stayed on plan, drank almost 100oz of water (!), and even got a good amount of exercise in. My new favorite activity is trying on clothes which now fit (or almost fit) which I haven't been able to wear in quite some time. Still, I'm preoccupied by two fairly trips that are coming up which might make this WOE more challenging. Normally, I teach during the summer, but I decided last summer to take a break and travel. My partner and I are going to South Africa and Botswana for two weeks. We then return home for a week or so and head back out to Italy (with my mom, who is adorable, btw; we're taking her to Italy to celebrate her retirement). I'm really excited about both trips; normally, I work non-stop, so this is going to be a big shift for me. I'm also quite nervous about staying on plan, especially in Italy (and even on the plane -- how weird is that?). I'm not afraid of temptation as much as I am afraid of not being able to eat or find food. Do any of you have good travel advice for me? Any tips that helped you through your trips?
I haven't taken any trips while low-carb -- YET -- so I can't give you the benefit of experience... But I'm planning a trip to Italy this summer -- che coincidenza! -- I'll be in Naples (with a few days in Capri) from the second week of July through the first week of August, so let me know if we'll be in the same area at the same time! I also teach. I finished graduate school in May 2012 and I had a one-year post-grad writing fellowship this past year. I will be back to teach as a lecturer in Fall Term.

This will be my 11th trip to Italy since childhood -- my paternal grandmother lives in France (my dad is Haitian), and every time we visited my grandmother in Europe we had to take a very Catholic euro side trip to hit up the Vatican (because we're super Catholic).

In my experience, Italy is an easy place to eat low-carb without having to work too hard at it. To be honest, I've never eaten low-carb while in Italy -- because I haven't been on a low-carb diet -- but based on my experiences with a variety of Italian menus, they are commonly full of low-carb-friendly selections. Most of the secondi are meat based (or poultry or fish). Depending on where you are, most of the meats (and poultry and fish) are roasted or grilled and prepared without lots of breading or sauces. It's very easy to get a veggie-and-meat meal at restaurants. Beautiful cheeses are often part of the dolci menu, or available on a separate formaggi menu.

The *crappier* and more *central* the restaurant is, the more additives and junk is added to the menu selections. But I try to hit up the places that locals recommend -- and I like to wander the local neighborhoods, to get more of an Italian feel and to avoid other tourists -- so I've found the menus to be simple, authentic, and full of meats, cheeses, and veggies.

*Fast food* is *fast food* -- even the coffee bars and, of course, pizzerie and paninoteche -- so sandwiches and bread rule fast food. And tavernas can be kind of *iffy* and carby. But restaurants are low-carb friendly. Osterie and trattorie, as well as ristorante, have good meat-and-veggie selections. Rosticcerie *specialize* in roasted meats so that's, like, probably the most low-carb-friendly thing in Western Europe (outside Germany, I guess). So, in my opinion, eating in Italy is pretty much what you make of it.

Honestly, though, breakfast is a carb fest. Every breakfast offering (except caffe) is pretty much some form of bread. And I didn't eat the hotel breakfasts, I like to go out and hit different spots around town for all of my meals. I wasn't *looking for* low-carb breakfast options while in Italy, but I also don't remember seeing anything that I would call a low-carb breakfast. But that could simply reflect my *personal* experiences and not the actual state of Italian breakfast. So please take the breakfast information with a grain of salt.

I've never been to sub-saharan Africa so I have no idea what the scene is like over there. I've only been to Morocco, which was like a festival of grains or rice mixed into every dish at every opportunity. And people were *very* resistant to changing any recipes -- for example, I can't stand raisins and figs or any form of dried fruit and I *tried* to avoid them, with very little luck. So that part of Africa would be a low-carb challenge, in my opinion. But I am completely ignorant to what foods are served in southern Africa.

Anyhoo... I'm about 1000% positive that I won't be at goal before my upcoming vacation and I have absolutely no intention of throwing a year of hard work out of the window by eating off plan without even getting to maintenance. So I plan to stay low-carb while in Italy, just as I've stayed low-carb here in America.

In the past, I must admit that Italy was a huge, non-stop food fest for me. I chatted to locals (every single day) about the best gelato -- I'm a friendly chatterer while I'm in Italy -- and then I would hit up ALL of their gelateria recommendations, even when it meant eating gelato 3-4 times per day (which is what I usually did). And I'm not a one-scoop gelato consumer! My habit was to start with a straciatella-nocciola duo (my favorites) and then have a scoop of each specialty in each shop. And I also have a habitual scheme in which I hit up the 5-star restaurants for lunch -- because I could have top meals for 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of dinner at the same elite restaurant. And I would have it ALL during lunch: antipasti, primi, secondi, dolci, and caffe. And then nighttime was a pizzeria or taverna for a hearty meal before hitting a club or enoteca or taverna to served *special, created just for me* cocktails by awesome, friendly bartenders. So, Italy has been all about food (and beverages) for me.

But I've realized, during my year on this diet, that I enjoy a lot of things in life much more than food. And this is definitely true of Italy! I'm a club girl (from way back) and great DJ sets are more enjoyable to me than food. And I don't have to drink elaborate cocktails for 8 straight hours just to enjoy the club scene. I can chill to good music (or even questionable euro-techno) without drinking -- I've been clubbing successfully low-carb for an entire year. I also love cafe culture and chatting with new people. And I now realize that I don't have to EAT the whole time I'm chilling in a cafe and enjoying the company of locals -- Italian locals are NEVER eating the whole time they're chilling with me. I love walking and people-watching. I love visiting awesome churches and chatting with adorable, little priests. In the past, I've *added* food (or drinks) to these activities (except the churches) but I'm not planning to do that this time.

During the past year on Atkins, I've gone out with colleagues on dozens of occasions without feeling like I *had to* share the table's appetizers (or even order a low-carb substitute) just because we were in a restaurant. I don't eat to be social, I eat to satisfy my hunger. And I've gone to the movies without feeling like I *had to* have a snack (even a low-carb snack) or a beverage (even water) as part of the entertainment experience. I've gone to all day events, and I didn't feel the *need* to eat the sandwiches and/or pastries that were provided just because they were free and a "lunch break" or "snack break" was provided for us. My *plan* for Italy is to take these experiences and apply what I've learned to my style of travel. Part of my weight loss journey has been learning to eat *to satisfy hunger* rather than eating as a social or entertainment event. And that's what I plan to do in Italy! In the past, I've *made* Italy into food- and cocktail-based entertainment, but it doesn't have to be that way.

If you're going to Italy after I return, I can report back to you on how my *plan* works out... E stato un PIACERE aver fatto la sua conoscenza! Ci vediamo!
Old 06-06-2013, 11:45 PM   #1644
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the kind support, you guys! I really appreciate it. I'm blushing -- it's difficult to see, because of my skin tone, but I promise you that I am BLUSHING!

Quote:
The Maori boys will be following in your wake
HaHa! I hope that's a promise, Beetle. I love the Maori boys!

So... Beach vacation in summer 2014? I have some gorgeous Thai sarongs that are DYING to visit the South Pacific!
Old 06-07-2013, 01:56 AM   #1645
Senior LCF Member

I'll match your sarongs with mine Im going to Thailand in october. Shall we colour co-ordinate?
Old 06-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #1646
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I'll match your sarongs with mine Im going to Thailand in october. Shall we colour co-ordinate?
I'm so envious! I've never been to Asia, at all. I would like to go to Thailand, especially. I've seen photos and I've read about some of their beautiful temples that are surrounded by lush jungles. I would LOVE to experience that! And their beaches are reportedly incredible!

I have a good friend who is Thai, and she travels to Thailand with her family every year and ships clothes and stuff back to us in the US. A lot of our mutual friends are bodybuilders -- so they have *unusual* measurements -- and they send their measurements to get custom suits made in Thailand. The suits are beautiful, stylish suits, made from top-quality fabrics -- and they're VERY inexpensive! The sarongs she's sent me range from $2-$5 US dollars and they are made from beautiful fabric prints.

You're going to have such an incredible time! Make sure you take some pics of yourself for your forum friends, chilling in Thai style!
Old 06-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #1647
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I haven't taken any trips while low-carb -- YET -- so I can't give you the benefit of experience... But I'm planning a trip to Italy this summer -- che coincidenza! -- I'll be in Naples (with a few days in Capri) from the second week of July through the first week of August, so let me know if we'll be in the same area at the same time! I also teach. I finished graduate school in May 2012 and I had a one-year post-grad writing fellowship this past year. I will be back to teach as a lecturer in Fall Term.

This will be my 11th trip to Italy since childhood -- my paternal grandmother lives in France (my dad is Haitian), and every time we visited my grandmother in Europe we had to take a very Catholic euro side trip to hit up the Vatican (because we're super Catholic).

In my experience, Italy is an easy place to eat low-carb without having to work too hard at it. To be honest, I've never eaten low-carb while in Italy -- because I haven't been on a low-carb diet -- but based on my experiences with a variety of Italian menus, they are commonly full of low-carb-friendly selections. Most of the secondi are meat based (or poultry or fish). Depending on where you are, most of the meats (and poultry and fish) are roasted or grilled and prepared without lots of breading or sauces. It's very easy to get a veggie-and-meat meal at restaurants. Beautiful cheeses are often part of the dolci menu, or available on a separate formaggi menu.

The *crappier* and more *central* the restaurant is, the more additives and junk is added to the menu selections. But I try to hit up the places that locals recommend -- and I like to wander the local neighborhoods, to get more of an Italian feel and to avoid other tourists -- so I've found the menus to be simple, authentic, and full of meats, cheeses, and veggies.

*Fast food* is *fast food* -- even the coffee bars and, of course, pizzerie and paninoteche -- so sandwiches and bread rule fast food. And tavernas can be kind of *iffy* and carby. But restaurants are low-carb friendly. Osterie and trattorie, as well as ristorante, have good meat-and-veggie selections. Rosticcerie *specialize* in roasted meats so that's, like, probably the most low-carb-friendly thing in Western Europe (outside Germany, I guess). So, in my opinion, eating in Italy is pretty much what you make of it.

Honestly, though, breakfast is a carb fest. Every breakfast offering (except caffe) is pretty much some form of bread. And I didn't eat the hotel breakfasts, I like to go out and hit different spots around town for all of my meals. I wasn't *looking for* low-carb breakfast options while in Italy, but I also don't remember seeing anything that I would call a low-carb breakfast. But that could simply reflect my *personal* experiences and not the actual state of Italian breakfast. So please take the breakfast information with a grain of salt.

I've never been to sub-saharan Africa so I have no idea what the scene is like over there. I've only been to Morocco, which was like a festival of grains or rice mixed into every dish at every opportunity. And people were *very* resistant to changing any recipes -- for example, I can't stand raisins and figs or any form of dried fruit and I *tried* to avoid them, with very little luck. So that part of Africa would be a low-carb challenge, in my opinion. But I am completely ignorant to what foods are served in southern Africa.

Anyhoo... I'm about 1000% positive that I won't be at goal before my upcoming vacation and I have absolutely no intention of throwing a year of hard work out of the window by eating off plan without even getting to maintenance. So I plan to stay low-carb while in Italy, just as I've stayed low-carb here in America.

In the past, I must admit that Italy was a huge, non-stop food fest for me. I chatted to locals (every single day) about the best gelato -- I'm a friendly chatterer while I'm in Italy -- and then I would hit up ALL of their gelateria recommendations, even when it meant eating gelato 3-4 times per day (which is what I usually did). And I'm not a one-scoop gelato consumer! My habit was to start with a straciatella-nocciola duo (my favorites) and then have a scoop of each specialty in each shop. And I also have a habitual scheme in which I hit up the 5-star restaurants for lunch -- because I could have top meals for 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of dinner at the same elite restaurant. And I would have it ALL during lunch: antipasti, primi, secondi, dolci, and caffe. And then nighttime was a pizzeria or taverna for a hearty meal before hitting a club or enoteca or taverna to served *special, created just for me* cocktails by awesome, friendly bartenders. So, Italy has been all about food (and beverages) for me.

But I've realized, during my year on this diet, that I enjoy a lot of things in life much more than food. And this is definitely true of Italy! I'm a club girl (from way back) and great DJ sets are more enjoyable to me than food. And I don't have to drink elaborate cocktails for 8 straight hours just to enjoy the club scene. I can chill to good music (or even questionable euro-techno) without drinking -- I've been clubbing successfully low-carb for an entire year. I also love cafe culture and chatting with new people. And I now realize that I don't have to EAT the whole time I'm chilling in a cafe and enjoying the company of locals -- Italian locals are NEVER eating the whole time they're chilling with me. I love walking and people-watching. I love visiting awesome churches and chatting with adorable, little priests. In the past, I've *added* food (or drinks) to these activities (except the churches) but I'm not planning to do that this time.

During the past year on Atkins, I've gone out with colleagues on dozens of occasions without feeling like I *had to* share the table's appetizers (or even order a low-carb substitute) just because we were in a restaurant. I don't eat to be social, I eat to satisfy my hunger. And I've gone to the movies without feeling like I *had to* have a snack (even a low-carb snack) or a beverage (even water) as part of the entertainment experience. I've gone to all day events, and I didn't feel the *need* to eat the sandwiches and/or pastries that were provided just because they were free and a "lunch break" or "snack break" was provided for us. My *plan* for Italy is to take these experiences and apply what I've learned to my style of travel. Part of my weight loss journey has been learning to eat *to satisfy hunger* rather than eating as a social or entertainment event. And that's what I plan to do in Italy! In the past, I've *made* Italy into food- and cocktail-based entertainment, but it doesn't have to be that way.

If you're going to Italy after I return, I can report back to you on how my *plan* works out... E stato un PIACERE aver fatto la sua conoscenza! Ci vediamo!
Trillex,

Congrats on finishing grad school and on your teaching gig! I almost went to University of Michigan for grad school way back when, so we could have been neighbors. I'm going to South Africa at the end of June and Italy in early July (I'm really packing the trips in!), so I may be back by the time you leave. Your advice is great and reassuring. My mother's family is from Italy (she is second generation) and I'm excited to bring her there. I plan to take care of breakfasts on my own, but it seems like other meals should be fairly easy. We're going to be in Rome and Tuscany mostly, but we plan on getting around a bit. I hope you have a great trip.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:55 PM   #1648
Major LCF Poster!

I did it!!!!!! 219!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by LauraDavis; 06-07-2013 at 11:57 PM..
Old 06-08-2013, 12:53 AM   #1649
Senior LCF Member

woohoo!!
Old 06-08-2013, 01:22 AM   #1650
Major LCF Poster!

went out and bought myself a nice package of steaks from Costco and 2 new shirts to celebrate
Closed Thread