Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2013, 11:21 AM   #1591
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: inotl65
Start Date: May 2013
This was Wednesday:
Breakfast
Kroger - Frozen Cooked Pork Sausage Patty, 1 patty
Egg Beaters Original - Egg Substitute, 1/2 cup
Lunch
Linda's Low Carb Recipe - Baked Meatballs, 4 meatball
Generic - Deviled Egg, 1 large
Dinner
Farmland - Fresh Ground Pork, 8 oz
Allrecipes.Com - Grilled Zucchini and Squash, 4.5 oz
Snacks
Werthers Original - Sugar Free Butterscotch Candy, 3 candies

This was Thursday
Breakfast
Egg Beaters Original - Egg Substitute, 1/4 cup

Kroger - Frozen Cooked Pork Sausage Patty, 2 patty

Jillian Michaels Detox - Detox Water, 60 oz

Lunch
Bluegrass - Cheddar Mettwurst, 2 link
Cheese - Crumbled Blue Cheese, 28 grams (1/4 Cup)
Fresh Express - Baby Spinich, 0.5 cups raw (85g)
Dole - Baby Spinanch & Spring Mix Salad, 3 cups
Dinner
Land O' Lakes - Unsalted Butter, 3 Tbsp
Marie's - Creamy Italian Garlic Dressing, 2 Tbsp
Generic - Ny Strip Steak Grilled, 6 oz
Snacks
Kroger Private Selection - Beef Snack Bites, 6 pieces (30g)
Slim Jim - Giant Slim, 1 Package
Two glasses of wine

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2013, 01:03 PM   #1592
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelle View Post
Hi! I'm new, and this looked like a good thread for my first post.

I started induction yesterday, and I use the term started loosely because I have not researched it properly. I just have a general idea that net carbs should be under 20. (See, I'm not even sure if it's net or total.)

At any rate, I was ready to get going so I figured why let lack of information stop me lol. And....here I am today in this forum trying to get it right.

I bought ketone strips yesterday because surely, I need something else to obsess over. Considering the number of carbs I put away day before yesterday, I don't even need to open the box until next week lol, but I won't let that stop me from pushing forward.

Too make a long story short (too late), the Day One Report is 22 carbs/8 net carbs.
Welcome to Atkins, Belle!

As Big Stevie recently told another poster, I honestly think that the best approach is to just buy one of the books and follow the instructions in it. The versions vary a bit but, based on the results I've seen on the forum, I think that all of the versions are probably about equally effective. I've heard people say that they get *faster* results from the original, 1970s version. But I haven't read that book, so I don't know *how* that version is different from the others.

My favorite thing about the Atkins diet is that it's very simple, so there's not a lot of room for *error*. I've been following the 2002 version of the book Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution and I've been very happy with the progress I've made by simply eating the foods on the induction lists in the book.

I hope you enjoy Atkins as much as I have! Welcome!
Old 05-31-2013, 02:32 PM   #1593
Major LCF Poster!

Monthly Progress

Hiya! Because of my one-year Atkinsversary post, I *just* posted an update less than a month ago... But today is the end of the month, so today is my *official* weigh and measure day!

Very modest progress since 11 May -- I've lost 2.5 pounds, and I've lost a modest amount of size on my left thigh and from around my waist. My torso looks *proportionally* larger than my lower body at this point in my fat loss journey, so I'm hoping -- really, REALLY hoping -- to see additional progress in the torso area as I move closer to goal.

Monthly Weight History
11 May 2012: 235 pounds
11 June: 225 pounds
11 July: 215 pounds
11 August: 206.5 pounds
11 September: 198 pounds
11 October: 196.5 pounds
31 October: 189 pounds
30 November: 186.5 pounds
29 December: 181.5 pounds
31 January: 172.5 pounds
28 February: 167 pounds
31 March: 159.5 pounds
30 April: 156 pounds
11 May 2013: 152 pounds
31 May (today): 149.5 pounds

Scale loss to date: 85.5 pounds

Measured Size Loss From 11 May 2012 To Today
Ankles: Left -1.50", Right -1.50"
Calves: Left -4.00", Right -3.75"
Thighs: Left -5.50", Right -6.00"
Hips: -8.25"
Waist: -8.50"
Upper Arms: Left -3.00", Right -2.50"
Wrists: Left -0.75", Right -1.00"

I'm currently less than 15 pounds from goal, which is VERY exciting! When I started gaining weight in college, I weighed 125 pounds and wore a size 6 jeans, leaning toward a size 4, but I was not ever *really* a size 4. I'm currently wearing size 8 jeans, leaning toward size 6. I can *get into* size 6 jeans, but it's not a particularly pretty sight. My goal is to get to 135 pounds, which is a physical size that I was happier with than my starting college weight of 125 pounds -- and I would be MUCH happier at 135 pounds than my Atkins starting weight of 235 pounds!

Next to my starting weight photo, here is a photo of me wearing juniors size 28 ultra-skinny jeans (the equivalent to misses size 6). I can actually *wear* the jeans, they aren't uncomfortable, but the *look* is tighter than I like.

Although I've lost inches from my hips, thighs, and waist at about the same rate, as you can see in the photos, my torso now *appears* to be proportionally larger than my lower body. This is not a complaint -- I'm very happy with my progress -- but I just wanted to note this development because I think it's kind of *weird*.

As you can see from the close-up view of my torso, I have a *pooch* in the middle of my tummy. Although I've lost a total of 8.5 inches from my waist measurement, more of the size seems to have come from the "obliques" (sides of my torso), which has left large fat deposits in the middle, which now *pooches* out, and I still have a relatively thick layer of bodyfat on my back. Hopefully, future updates will show improvement in this area!

I'm currently still on the second rung of the Atkins ongoing weight loss ladder, which is "fresh" cheeses. I'm trying to give the second rung a good try in order to see how my body handles certain foods, and to try to work Dr Atkins's program as it is written because I have found it to be a very good program. To be perfectly honest with you, I was initially skeptical of fresh cheeses -- like cottage cheese and ricotta cheese -- because they aren't foods that I typically ate before I started the diet. But my brothers -- who are both bodybuilders -- gave me some surprisingly good recipes that use cottage cheese! So I've learned some great new recipes.

Starting on the first Monday of June, I will move up to the third rung of the Atkins ongoing weight loss ladder, which is "seeds and nuts." I've been eating nuts on Sundays since the second month of my Atkins journey, so this won't be the first time I've had nuts while on the diet. But I'm interested to see what happens when I integrate nuts into my diet on a more *regular* basis.

I guess that's all for now! Cheers!

Tril
Old 05-31-2013, 04:01 PM   #1594
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
My abdomen looks like that as well Trillix. I hope It goes away cos its kinda ugly. Mind you with all the lumps appearing on my butt and thigh's, its not pretty anywhere lol!
Old 05-31-2013, 06:06 PM   #1595
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeetle View Post
My abdomen looks like that as well Trillix. I hope It goes away cos its kinda ugly. Mind you with all the lumps appearing on my butt and thigh's, its not pretty anywhere lol!
I'm currently a few pounds heavier than your profile weight but I'm an inch taller -- 5'4" -- so it seems like we're kind of in the same boat.

Honestly, I don't even mind the *pooch* -- I don't think that having a *poochy* tummy is unattractive, I actually think it's kind of *cute* on most people -- but I really, REALLY want to lose enough fat in that area to get rid of the *ridge* that bisects my tummy at the belly button. Wearing fitted garments looks *weird* because there's, like, TWO HUMPS up front -- that are NOT my two lady humps! I would be totally good to go if my tummy was the same size but smooth, without a speed bump.

The solution, I guess, is to just not wear fitted garments... But my signature summer *look* is a fitted tank top with a sarong skirt, which is not a good look for me right now because of my HUMPS! I'm going to try to find a new signature summer style because change is good. And, overall, I'm stronger and healthier this summer so humps are a small price to pay for that level of improvement.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:57 PM   #1596
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
I went to the doctor today. My blood pressure is down to normal and the doctor cut my low dosage in half. If it is still normal, I will then go to every other day for a month and then be off altogether. So that is great news. Went to the lab and am waiting for the test results to come back but I am optimistic.

The doctor talked about losing fat as being the first part of the equation. The second part is building muscle to replace it. The fat seems comes off in irregular places. I am sure over time it will settle, but like your girls "pooch", I have similar issues mainly in my upper inner thighs.

Look at you Trillex, did you ever imagine showing your stomach on the internet??? Keep up the great work! I am sure you will find the perfect summer look!
Old 05-31-2013, 08:03 PM   #1597
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
Quote:
Originally Posted by inotl65 View Post
This was Wednesday:
Breakfast
Kroger - Frozen Cooked Pork Sausage Patty, 1 patty
Egg Beaters Original - Egg Substitute, 1/2 cup
Lunch
Linda's Low Carb Recipe - Baked Meatballs, 4 meatball
Dinner
Farmland - Fresh Ground Pork, 8 oz
Allrecipes.Com - Grilled Zucchini and Squash, 4.5 oz
Snacks
Werthers Original - Sugar Free Butterscotch Candy, 3 candies

This was Thursday
Breakfast
Egg Beaters Original - Egg Substitute, 1/4 cup

Kroger - Frozen Cooked Pork Sausage Patty, 2 patty

Jillian Michaels Detox - Detox Water, 60 oz

Lunch
Bluegrass - Cheddar Mettwurst, 2 link
Cheese - Crumbled Blue Cheese, 28 grams (1/4 Cup)
Fresh Express - Baby Spinich, 0.5 cups raw (85g)
Dole - Baby Spinanch & Spring Mix Salad, 3 cups
Dinner
Land O' Lakes - Unsalted Butter, 3 Tbsp
Marie's - Creamy Italian Garlic Dressing, 2 Tbsp
Generic - Ny Strip Steak Grilled, 6 oz
Snacks
Kroger Private Selection - Beef Snack Bites, 6 pieces (30g)
Slim Jim - Giant Slim, 1 Package
Two glasses of wine

This doesn't look too bad. You need to drop the candy and the wine. At least for the first few weeks. You need to break from all sugars. Once you have some time under your belt, then you can try to reintroduce them. But you need the break so you can see how those items affect your weight loss. for one, get really hungry and eat many more calories every time the day after I drink. So I need to really watch it. To be successful on this diet plan, you have to restrict everything up front, then add it back in slowly to see how it affects you, (the individual you, everyone is different).

Make sure you keep your water intake up.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:54 AM   #1598
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernBelle
Stats: 296/154/149
Start Date: May 29, 2013
I'm in!!!

Trace is a friend of mine!

It's the morning of Day 4, and that ketone strip finally registered something other than negative.

It's not that I doubted that it would happen eventually, but I was transitioning from a 6-week stint on a low fat diet and chose the day before starting Atkins to get in my first good fashioned cheat. I'm talking apple fritters, ice cream, potato chips, and whatever I craved. The only thing stopping me from calling it an all out binge is that I planned it. I figured it would take me a week to burn off all the glycogen I had stored.

Nevertheless, here I am. Now, I'm going to focus on doing a better job of getting the 65/30/5 right.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:55 AM   #1599
Senior LCF Member

Total Carbs vs Net Carbs

Do/did you count total carbs or net carbs during induction?

I have read that using "net" doesn't work for some people. I am not sure if it works for me because although I intended to use net, my total was right around the 20g/day.
  • Wed: 22g carbs/8g net
  • Thurs: 18g carbs/8g net
  • Fri: 21g carbs/7g net

If carbs are to be 5% of what I typically eat, then that would be 12.5g to 15g/day.

I'm from the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school, but I'm not sure what part of it worked lol. My total exceeded the 20g max for two days and my net was under 5% all three days.

I have eaten a lot more flaxseed than veggies over the past few days, but I'd prefer the veggies so I'm hoping to hear net has been successful for most.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #1600
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sandra2
Stats: 247.2/240.7/185
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: March 2014
Newbie!!!!

I started my low carb journey one week ago today. I was hoping to get some guidance from some who are further along in the process. I am proud to say that I have lost 8 pounds in one week!!!!! I am sooooooo happy this morning Please any advice is wanted and welcomed!!!!!
Old 06-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #1601
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
I'm currently a few pounds heavier than your profile weight but I'm an inch taller -- 5'4" -- so it seems like we're kind of in the same boat.

Honestly, I don't even mind the *pooch* -- I don't think that having a *poochy* tummy is unattractive, I actually think it's kind of *cute* on most people -- but I really, REALLY want to lose enough fat in that area to get rid of the *ridge* that bisects my tummy at the belly button. Wearing fitted garments looks *weird* because there's, like, TWO HUMPS up front
No, mine is just a rectangular shaped blanket of fat. It means I dont wear tight tops because it looks weird. I have nicely defined obliques with a big abdomin. Add to that my saddle bags and droopy butt and Im a shocker. I like my body from about the bottom of my rib cage, upwards. Everything below that is less loved
Old 06-01-2013, 11:20 PM   #1602
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LauraDavis
Stats: 245.8/190.6/145
You are lookin GREAT Trillex!!!!
Old 06-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #1603
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmcd1070
Stats: pre-op 240/now 167/goal 130
WOE: Organic Low Carb
Start Date: WLS 2-8-11. Atkins (reboot) 4-7-14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post

Scale loss to date: 85.5 pounds

Hips: -8.25"
Waist: -8.50"

I'm currently less than 15 pounds from goal, which is VERY exciting!

As you can see from the close-up view of my torso, I have a *pooch* in the middle of my tummy. Although I've lost a total of 8.5 inches from my waist
First of all, YAY!! 85.5 lbs is amazing!! Congrats!!

WOW! 8.5 inches off ANYTHING is huge! You should measure something 8.5 in long just to get a visual of what that looks like linearly! Just WOW.

Your tummy WILL flatten, just like everything else! And wow, look at your collarbones!! They're LOVELY! And your arms! Most women who lose weight don't lose their upper arms as nicely as you have. No bat wings on you!!

You are SOO close to goal. That is so exciting! All your hard work and dedication is paying off. You look fantastic. I think you would totally ROCK your signature look. Get a black tank top with a lycra blend and you're solid!!
Old 06-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #1604
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra2 View Post
I started my low carb journey one week ago today. I was hoping to get some guidance from some who are further along in the process. I am proud to say that I have lost 8 pounds in one week!!!!! I am sooooooo happy this morning Please any advice is wanted and welcomed!!!!!
Congrats Sandra! 8lbs lost is SUPER!! Great job! Whatever you are doing seems to be working just fine!
Old 06-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #1605
Senior LCF Member

I'm down 1 lb in the past two weeks. I'm running 3 miles around the park. I'm hiking 3 miles in the Rocky Mountains. I'm running up and down the 5 flights of stairs at work and 4 flights at home. I feel great and I have lots of stamina. I'm eating super clean but my body just does not want to dip it's toes into the 160s. So frustrating! I haven't weighed less than 170 since I was 27. I just want to see the scale say 169.9!! I know it's less than .1 of a lb but it would be a HUGE milestone for me!! *fingers crossed* for next Sunday. I've GOT to be able to lose that much in a week!
Old 06-02-2013, 08:49 AM   #1606
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Keep the faith, whatever the scale says.
I hope it bends your way.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #1607
Senior LCF Member

Good luck cmcd1070! I know it's frustrating to work that hard and not see the fruits of your labor on the scale. I had a stall like that in early May and I was working my butt off. I was being a bit slack with the water, but I upped my cardio and still got nothing to speak of. At any rate, I had started resistance training around that time and my body fat% was dropping consistently even though the lbs didn't reflect it.

Now, I am pleased to announce that I got as close to the 65/30/5 percentages today as I have gotten thus far with 63/33/4. I'm just tickled pink
Old 06-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #1608
Senior LCF Member

Today was not my weekly weigh in day but I have a Dr's appt tomorrow and I REALLY wanted to be under 170 before I weigh in at the Dr's. So I weighed this morning. I am now 169.4. YAY!!!!!! FINALLY!!! haha. 6.5 lbs and I am no longer OBESE! YES!!!

Last edited by cmcd1070; 06-03-2013 at 09:46 AM..
Old 06-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #1609
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelle View Post
Good luck cmcd1070! I know it's frustrating to work that hard and not see the fruits of your labor on the scale. I had a stall like that in early May and I was working my butt off. I was being a bit slack with the water, but I upped my cardio and still got nothing to speak of. At any rate, I had started resistance training around that time and my body fat% was dropping consistently even though the lbs didn't reflect it.

Now, I am pleased to announce that I got as close to the 65/30/5 percentages today as I have gotten thus far with 63/33/4. I'm just tickled pink
Thank you for the encouragement Belle =)
And great job on the food ratios! Very clean eating!
Old 06-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #1610
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
I went to the doctor today. My blood pressure is down to normal and the doctor cut my low dosage in half. If it is still normal, I will then go to every other day for a month and then be off altogether. So that is great news. Went to the lab and am waiting for the test results to come back but I am optimistic.
Congratulations on great news from your doctor! Your health improvements are putting DOLLARS into your pocket -- a LOT of money over the long-run. And reducing the amount of bodyfat you carry on your abdomen has a direct correlation with increased lifespan. That is fantastic news!
Old 06-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #1611
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra2 View Post
Welcome to Atkins, Sandra!
Old 06-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #1612
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Melinda81
Start Date: June 3, 2013
hello 1st day!

Hello everyone!
It's my first day of Induction. Back to LC after years of calorie counting and no counting! Excited to see what happens in the next few weeks! I remember how awesome I felt last time doing low carb. Good luck
Old 06-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #1613
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeetle View Post
No, mine is just a rectangular shaped blanket of fat. It means I dont wear tight tops because it looks weird. I have nicely defined obliques with a big abdomin. Add to that my saddle bags and droopy butt and Im a shocker. I like my body from about the bottom of my rib cage, upwards. Everything below that is less loved
I'm jealous of your rectangle! It's not *ideal* because it's not what you want, but it's *normal* so I'm hoping to someday get to that point.

How did I become a person for whom just being *normal* is my life's goal?! HaHa!

With regard to your lower body, I was talking to a female "figure" competitor at a bodybuilding event a few months ago and she said that, for women, a lot of the lower-body *problems* are actually corrected when their skin tightens up. For example, what looks like fat or cellulite on the sides and backs of the thighs and on the butt actually goes away when the skin tightens up and holds everything in place more tightly.

She told me that this is why it takes female "figure" competitors about 2 years to get competition ready after they get their bodyfat to the level they want. Apparently, according to her, it takes the skin about two years to adjust to support the changed bodyfat distributions. So women will commonly *look* like they need to lose more fat on their thighs, for example, but they actually have perfect composition that just isn't "contest ready" because of the skin situation.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #1614
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraDavis View Post
You are lookin GREAT Trillex!!!!
Thanks, Laura!

I'm SO HAPPY to see that you finished May down 3 pounds! I know that 3 pounds doesn't *seem* like much -- especially after the past couple of months in which you've made much more dramatic progress -- but those pounds ADD UP! They honestly do! So May's 3 pounds are a bigger step forward than they probably feel like to you right now... #truth
Old 06-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #1615
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcd1070 View Post
And wow, look at your collarbones!! They're LOVELY! And your arms! Most women who lose weight don't lose their upper arms as nicely as you have. No bat wings on you!!
Awwww, thank you!!!

I have to admit, though, that my upper arms should be on Wikipedia as illustrations of "bingo wings." Unlike the rest of my body, I didn't lose any size -- at all -- on my upper arms until my 7th month on the diet, and then I started losing inches all at once so I have a *crazy* amount of hanging skin that clearly isn't going to tighten up. The funny thing is, the skin on my arms doesn't actually bother me. I'm kind of proud of it, in a weird way, because I feel like it shows how much bodyfat I've lost.

I work out in a private facility with bodybuilders and I LOVE IT when new guys are in the gym and I go over to a weight stand -- with my floppy upper arms -- and pick up 50-pound dumbbells with my bingo wings! Just looking at my upper arms, there's NO WAY anyone would guess how strong I am underneath. It's kind of perverse, but I genuinely enjoy the element of surprise. My trainer wears a t-shirt to our workouts sometimes that says, "My girl can lift more than you!" And I know that he loves it just as much as I do when guys in the gym are out-lifted by "the fat girl." There's too much ego and exaggerated testosterone in the gym, so I enjoy being an example that reminds these guys that people who have excess bodyfat aren't a *different species* from them.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #1616
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcd1070 View Post
Today was not my weekly weigh in day but I have a Dr's appt tomorrow and I REALLY wanted to be under 170 before I weigh in at the Dr's. So I weighed this morning. I am now 169.4. YAY!!!!!! FINALLY!!! haha. 6.5 lbs and I am no longer OBESE! YES!!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!! You're killing it on the scale, as well as on the trails! HaHa!
Old 06-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #1617
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda81 View Post
Hello everyone!
It's my first day of Induction. Back to LC after years of calorie counting and no counting! Excited to see what happens in the next few weeks! I remember how awesome I felt last time doing low carb. Good luck
Welcome back to Atkins, Melinda! I hope you'll enjoy the journey. I honestly believe it's a very pleasant way to eat.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:30 AM   #1618
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LauraDavis
Stats: 245.8/190.6/145
Melinda.

Thank Trillex... I'm trying to keep in mind that there was still a loss durning the month so that's good... I didn't go backward or anything like that
Old 06-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #1619
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraDavis View Post
I'm trying to keep in mind that there was still a loss durning the month so that's good... I didn't go backward or anything like that
You're super smart and one of the most clever people I've seen with regard to developing new recipes and stuff. And you've kept going, even though Terry quit. You're strong. You're making great progress! And I'm really proud of all you're doing because I honestly believe it isn't all about what the scale says every day.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #1620
Senior LCF Member

Morns.g everyone. Now at 16 days no loss and another small increase. Its getting hard to keep the faith
Closed Thread