Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2013, 12:35 AM   #1561
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
I finally got on a scale I trust. I am the same weight I have been for the past 7 or so weeks, 218 which is 80 pounds down. I am closer to goal and have lost a lot, maybe my body is just taking a break. I haven't been tracking my intake as closely as before. I really want to loose another 20 pounds. I guess at this point I am going to have to watch my calories and start doing more exercise. My exercise to date his been pretty minimal. It is time to dig in and make it to goal.
You've had these phases before, where you have remained the same weight for longer than a month and then had a substantial drop. So, you may not need to do anything except wait for the adjustments to show on the scale.

If you do need to make some adjustments in order to keep losing pounds, then this holding period might be a good guideline to show you what level of eating will allow you to maintain your weight.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2013, 12:39 AM   #1562
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadelois View Post
Hi I've just started on Induction this week:
Today I had: B- nothing
L- hot smoked salmon with baby leaf salad, a tomato, a tablespoon of honey mustard drizzle, a few slices of salami/pepperoni
D- broccoli, caul, carrot, chicken breast, bacon and cream cheese

Is this a suitable sort of plan. My carbs are below 20 and I usually eat breakfast of eggs with or without bacon. I also have a high protein yoghurt as something sweet now and again.
Your menu looks good to me. Carrots are not on the induction list in the book I'm following, Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution. And yogurt is also not an induction-level food. But if you're eating small amounts of carrots, staying under 20g carbohydrates per day, and if you're only occasionally eating yogurt, you'll probably be fine. If you have any problems on the diet, though, you might want to consider eliminating the carrots and yogurt, and sticking to the foods on the induction list.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:41 AM   #1563
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgibbon45 View Post
I have to admit I laughed out loud at your large rear end comment! I have a large rear end and my fiance is 6'4" and 172 pounds.. We are like night and day. He is always telling me if I lose my rear I he will be mad lol.
Sadly, my butt has flattened out like a pancake. It's the one body part that I had hoped would stay extra-large... But I'm willing to take the bad with the good! I may not be as popular while I'm out clubbing, but at least I'll have enough stamina to dance all night.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #1564
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
You've had these phases before, where you have remained the same weight for longer than a month and then had a substantial drop. So, you may not need to do anything except wait for the adjustments to show on the scale.

If you do need to make some adjustments in order to keep losing pounds, then this holding period might be a good guideline to show you what level of eating will allow you to maintain your weight.
Yeah, I am not to stressed about it. It has happened before and the great news is I haven't gained any I have been eating good food but haven't been paying any attention to the actual carb levels or calories. I know from reading lots of other posts on this site, the last 10-15% of weight loss can be tough. I am not sure I am ready to declare it is tough for me, until I actually go back to induction level carbs, and work out more. I am making that change this week, and we will see what happens over the next couple of weeks. Not panicking yet!!
Old 05-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #1565
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Yeah, I am not to stressed about it. It has happened before and the great news is I haven't gained any I have been eating good food but haven't been paying any attention to the actual carb levels or calories. I know from reading lots of other posts on this site, the last 10-15% of weight loss can be tough. I am not sure I am ready to declare it is tough for me, until I actually go back to induction level carbs, and work out more. I am making that change this week, and we will see what happens over the next couple of weeks. Not panicking yet!!
The funny thing is, I think my trainer is starting to *panic* as I get closer to goal. He KEEPS talking about how close we are to goal. And he's been pushing me like a maniac in the gym -- pushing me even harder and more obsessively than before. I think he's *nervous*, in a weird way.

I want to achieve my goal, too. But I'm honestly just very happy that I feel so much better and that my back pain is gone. So I'm not too concerned with what the scale does from this point forward. I should probably be more ambitious about my goal, but my lifestyle and health expectations have already been exceeded.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #1566
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oncloud9now2
Start Date: 5/27/13
Wow, Trill. I can't wait till I can repeat your words!
Old 05-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #1567
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmcd1070
Stats: pre-op 240/now 167/goal 130
WOE: Organic Low Carb
Start Date: WLS 2-8-11. Atkins (reboot) 4-7-14
It's nice to see all the new folks here! =) I'm still here. Hit another plateau at 171. Oh how my body LOVES the 170s!! I've been trail running in the mountains on the weekends and for the first time in my entire life, I wore the tread off the bottom of my Nike runners. I didn't even know you could do that! This weekend we danced at a music festival for 7 hours and walked 5 miles. We almost couldn't walk after haha, it was great to have that much stamina! We hung with the 20 somethings

YAY for summer and BBQ season! Grilling meat for the week today, yum!!
Old 05-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #1568
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcd1070 View Post
It's nice to see all the new folks here! =) I'm still here. Hit another plateau at 171. Oh how my body LOVES the 170s!! I've been trail running in the mountains on the weekends and for the first time in my entire life, I wore the tread off the bottom of my Nike runners. I didn't even know you could do that! This weekend we danced at a music festival for 7 hours and walked 5 miles. We almost couldn't walk after haha, it was great to have that much stamina! We hung with the 20 somethings

YAY for summer and BBQ season! Grilling meat for the week today, yum!!
That is awesome that you can do all the activities again. At the end of the day, that is what is all really about. Enjoying life and not being limited by your weight. The rest is just icing on the cake (or cream cheese on you one minute muffin)!
Old 05-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #1569
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncloud9now2 View Post
You can do it too!!! Just stick with the program and keep visiting this site for encouragement and tips to make changes when they are needed. It won't be long in the scheme of things. Be patient and do the do.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #1570
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LauraDavis
Stats: 245.8/190.6/145
Start Date: March 2013
Keep reminding me of that Steve... here it is the end of the month and I weigh the same as the beginning of the month... this month has been a hugh waste of time and emotions.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:42 AM   #1571
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncloud9now2 View Post
I totally cosign Big Stevie! It just takes time and persistence.

I honestly *feel* like I've had to fight for every pound. And I *feel* like I've been the slowest fat loser on Earth because when I look back over my monthly pound losses, they were never *impressive*. But in reality, it's been barely more than a year and those couple of pounds each month have made my body change so dramatically that it's actually freaking out the people in my neighborhood. The UPS guy just says "wow" every time he sees me and gives me slow applause. He's kind of a jokester, but he's being supportive and I genuinely appreciate it.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:47 AM   #1572
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I've been trail running in the mountains on the weekends and for the first time in my entire life, I wore the tread off the bottom of my Nike runners. I didn't even know you could do that!
You should totally get one of those acrylic boxes that people puts sports memorabilia into, and put your sneakers on display with the worn out tread up! That would be SO BALLER! It's a really cool milestone.

I'm pretty sure they make boxes that are specifically for shoes, because my friend's dad has an acrylic box with a pair of signed shoes from John McEnroe.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:03 AM   #1573
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraDavis View Post
Keep reminding me of that Steve... here it is the end of the month and I weigh the same as the beginning of the month... this month has been a hugh waste of time and emotions.
HUGS, Laura!!!

Some people have *weird* loss patterns. As Big Stevie recently noted, he has occasionally spent weeks and weeks -- longer than a month -- at the same weight right before dropping double-digit pounds. I don't weigh every day, but I did have a month in which I only lost 1.5 pounds and another month in which I lost 2.5 so, if I weighed every day, those months would probably have been miserable and looked like either a total standstill or backwards progress.

Also, you moved down a size just as the month started, which is a pretty big change. And your body may need a moment to adjust to the changes.

With that said, though, are you tracking your food intake? With specific portion sizes? I don't think most people do the tracking every day, and I don't think it's *really* necessary (although I still do it every day). But since you've been fluctuating for a few weeks, the food tracking will at least confirm that your nutrition is exactly where it needs to be.

And the month isn't done yet... The Atkins lady doesn't sing until Friday!
Old 05-28-2013, 06:17 AM   #1574
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Happy&Healthy@40
Stats: 295/256/199
WOE: Gluten Free Atkins
Start Date: Jan 11, 2013
Hi Everyone...today is day 1 of induction for me.
Just wanted to introduce myself & say hi to all
Jenn
Old 05-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #1575
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
You should totally get one of those acrylic boxes that people puts sports memorabilia into, and put your sneakers on display with the worn out tread up! That would be SO BALLER! It's a really cool milestone.

I'm pretty sure they make boxes that are specifically for shoes, because my friend's dad has an acrylic box with a pair of signed shoes from John McEnroe.
That's such a cool idea!!

Yesterday I took DH for his first "strenuous" rated hike in the mountains. It's a 4hr nearly vertical climb to the top. I was LOVING IT!! He loved it too, but he had to stop a LOT (which is funny because I'm the fattest one on that trail and he is a normal BMI, and I had to keep waiting for him to catch up). He ended up blowing out one of his knees on the down-hike. =( I hope it heals so he can keep hiking with me. 14'er season starts in a little over a month and that is WAAY more "strenuous" than the hike we took yesterday! Approx. 10 hours for the easier ones.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #1576
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That is awesome that you can do all the activities again. At the end of the day, that is what is all really about. Enjoying life and not being limited by your weight. The rest is just icing on the cake (or cream cheese on you one minute muffin)!
I totally agree Big Stevie. When DH first suggested we do Day of Rock downtown, I thought OMG I will never make it!! I said "how about we plan to go for a couple of hours and then just leave when I can't make it anymore?" As it turned out, he was using ME as a crutch on the 2 mile walk home after and I was still going strong! I just wish my body looked as good as it feels. Someday...
Old 05-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #1577
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I just wish my body looked as good as it feels. Someday...
I haven't actually met you but I would bet that you DO look as great as you feel!

One of the things I've learned from spending a lot of time around bodybuilders is that NOBODY is ever a generous judge of their own physique. I don't know why, but even seasoned bodybuilders have trouble judging their fitness for competition and they end up being overly critical. I think the human psyche has a perception filter that focuses the mind on small flaws, while not taking in the overall impact of the frame and proportions the way that an objective viewer would see the body. So being *at goal* isn't the same thing as *looking great* -- symmetry and body ratios make bodies look beautiful in a wide range of sizes and BMIs -- and you're not very far from goal, so I'm guessing you look great now even though you're not where you eventually want to be.

Anyway, that's just my $0.02!
Old 05-29-2013, 11:41 AM   #1578
Senior LCF Member

Ok, since many of you have posted pictures, I guess it is my turn. I am kind of shy about this and I am not at goal yet, but here is goes. There is always time for more and additional goal photos in the future. I haven't been as good at documenting the changes along the way, but here are pictures fromtoday and three pictures from the beginning of my journey.

The three pictures below were taken last June and July 2012. I hadn't taken pictures of myself in awhile and when I saw them, I couldn't believe how fat I had let myself get. Denial is a good thing, but it doesn't work forever. The one with my guitar was for a CD cover and it in particular really told me it was time to get to losing. These along with health issues related to my diet.

So I started at around 300. I don't have an actual weight because I didn't get on the scale until a couple weeks into the program. I am at 218 today.

Last edited by Big Stevie; 05-29-2013 at 11:52 AM..
Old 05-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #1579
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Happy&Healthy@40
Stats: 295/256/199
WOE: Gluten Free Atkins
Start Date: Jan 11, 2013
Wow Steve! You look great! Well done...what a difference!
Old 05-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #1580
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Ok, since many of you have posted pictures, I guess it is my turn. I am kind of shy about this and I am not at goal yet, but here is goes. There is always time for more and additional goal photos in the future. I haven't been as good at documenting the changes along the way, but here are pictures fromtoday and three pictures from the beginning of my journey.

The three pictures below were taken last June and July 2012. I hadn't taken pictures of myself in awhile and when I saw them, I couldn't believe how fat I had let myself get. Denial is a good thing, but it doesn't work forever. The one with my guitar was for a CD cover and it in particular really told me it was time to get to losing. These along with health issues related to my diet.

So I started at around 300. I don't have an actual weight because I didn't get on the scale until a couple weeks into the program. I am at 218 today.

Thank you for sharing this, Big Stevie! You look like a DIFFERENT PERSON -- I mean your *face* literally looks like the face of a different person. For example, you have dimples now that I don't see in the earlier pictures. Wow! What an AMAZING transformation! I feel so honored to be on this journey with you.

Whenever I read your posts, by the way, I picture you as Steven Van Zandt... I know that's weird and a little crazy... So it's really nice to put a face to the *voice*!
Old 05-29-2013, 08:33 PM   #1581
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Big Steve, that is an INCREDIBLE transformation! Well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-29-2013, 11:33 PM   #1582
Senior LCF Member

Thanks guys for making me feel good. Still have a lot of work left but glad to have made some progress. And as I have said many times, the weight loss is great but the way I feel is so much more important to me. I have had bad hypoglycemia from a very early age. This woe has almost completely cured it.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:18 AM   #1583
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LauraDavis
Stats: 245.8/190.6/145
LOOKING GOOD!!!!! Great Job Steve.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:42 AM   #1584
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernBelle
Stats: 296/154/149
Start Date: May 29, 2013
Hi! I'm new, and this looked like a good thread for my first post.

I started induction yesterday, and I use the term started loosely because I have not researched it properly. I just have a general idea that net carbs should be under 20. (See, I'm not even sure if it's net or total.)

At any rate, I was ready to get going so I figured why let lack of information stop me lol. And....here I am today in this forum trying to get it right.

I bought ketone strips yesterday because surely, I need something else to obsess over. Considering the number of carbs I put away day before yesterday, I don't even need to open the box until next week lol, but I won't let that stop me from pushing forward.

Too make a long story short (too late), the Day One Report is 22 carbs/8 net carbs.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #1585
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
stevie CONGRATULATIONS!!!! you're looking fantastic! (love the guitar too!)
Old 05-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #1586
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
You look so much YOUNGER! And happier!! =) It's so nice to put a face to your posts now Big Stevie, or... not-so-big Stevie Thank you for posting! What a difference!! Congrats!
Old 05-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #1587
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I haven't actually met you but I would bet that you DO look as great as you feel!

One of the things I've learned from spending a lot of time around bodybuilders is that NOBODY is ever a generous judge of their own physique. I don't know why, but even seasoned bodybuilders have trouble judging their fitness for competition and they end up being overly critical. I think the human psyche has a perception filter that focuses the mind on small flaws, while not taking in the overall impact of the frame and proportions the way that an objective viewer would see the body. So being *at goal* isn't the same thing as *looking great* -- symmetry and body ratios make bodies look beautiful in a wide range of sizes and BMIs -- and you're not very far from goal, so I'm guessing you look great now even though you're not where you eventually want to be.

Anyway, that's just my $0.02!
Thank you Trillex. I guess if one were to compare my starting weight look to my current weight look, you could say I look as good as I feel. So surely being 40 lbs lighter feels even BETTER!!! =)

There is a 5K \ 10K coming up in June that I want to run. It would be my first official run of the year. I'm nervous and excited!! I have to start training for that since my weekends are dedicated to hiking now. I'm afraid to see how out of shape I've gotten since last year. =S
Old 05-30-2013, 10:50 AM   #1588
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: inotl65
Start Date: May 2013
I have an induction question. I was noticing I wasn't losing weight or inches so I asked in a group on FB. Seems I am getting more protein that fat. What I thought would be considered a fat is actually a protein. So now that I have that understood. What are some of the things you eat to get fat into your day. I know cooking in butter and using cream but is there other things? I eat the same thing every day for breakfast and lunch, anything I could add to bring my fat count up?
Old 05-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #1589
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inotl65 View Post
I have an induction question. I was noticing I wasn't losing weight or inches so I asked in a group on FB. Seems I am getting more protein that fat. What I thought would be considered a fat is actually a protein. So now that I have that understood. What are some of the things you eat to get fat into your day. I know cooking in butter and using cream but is there other things? I eat the same thing every day for breakfast and lunch, anything I could add to bring my fat count up?
If you haven't already, you need to get the Atkins book (New Diet Revolution) and read it. It is less than $10 and has all the information you need to be successful. If you eat the food on the Induction Food List, most people will naturally end up eating the right amounts of fat, protein and carbs. The right ratio is about 60% fat, 35% protein and 5% carbs (some people try for more fat). You need to put your menus into an on line tracking website. It will show you the calories and percentage of each group you eat each day. Once you do that, come back and share both your menus and the percentages and we will help you make adjustments.

My main fats come from cooking oil, butter, mayonnaise, heavy cream, and avocados. Many here supplement with spoonfuls of coconut oil in the morning coffee to up the fat.

You need to vary your diet or you will get bored. Go to the Induction Food Porn thread and look for other foods to eat.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #1590
Senior LCF Member

Thanks guys for the encouragement. I appreciate the nice comments.
Closed Thread