Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #1531
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraDavis View Post
getting a bit upset over the scale this month.... 2 weeks and only .2 difference. I'm keeping my carbs down... eating right WTH?!?!?!?!?

5/13 - 224.2
5/12 - 224.... stupid scale
5/11 - 222.0
5/10 - 221.4
5/9 - 223.6
5/8 - 224.0
5/7 - 223.8
5/6 - 226.4
5/5 - 223.6
5/4 - 224.4
5/3 - 225.0# *sigh*
5/2 - 224.4#
5/1 - 224.4
I had several periods where my weight didn't change for a couple of weeks followed by big drops. I think sometimes your body just needs to catch up.

How is your water and fat intake. Make sure they are both good. If they are, don't stress, just keep on the path and it will come.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2013, 10:19 PM   #1532
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LauraDavis
Stats: 245.8/190.6/145
Start Date: March 2013
Thanks guys and gals... saw a small drop today 223.4, just ready to be under 220.... and ready now!!!! Added at least one latte a day made with cream, 1 tablespoon coconut oil, caramel sf syrup... helps to add some fat to my diet and tastes oh so yummy!!!!! I'm thinking I need to up the fat a bit, that might help. I also need to watch how many olives I eat... but they are so so

I hate plain water but drink at least 3 - 5 52oz cups of water with no carb additive, Crystal Light or Dasani.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #1533
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
just ready to be under 220.... and ready now!!!!
You'll get there, Laura! You're getting there. The scale can be *weird* and *stubborn* sometimes, but you're still making progress.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #1534
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tgibbon45
Stats: 208/193.6/135
Start Date: 05/16/2013
Induction baby here

Starting weight 208.00
Day 4 of induction-down to 202.4
I'm super excited to lose the weight. I'm getting married August 31st and would love to be down about 40 pounds by then. I know that is a stretch.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #1535
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MissLala
Stats: 278/277/165
Start Date: 5/16/2013
Hello all. I started Induction 5/16/2013, and going through the infamous flu. Day 4 and only a pound, but I know my body is adjusting to this lifestyle change. I decided to put the scale away and weigh every two weeks ( well thats the plan lol). I have been reading the posts over the last days and found them helpful and supportive. Lord knows I need it. Thanks for listening.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:34 PM   #1536
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LauraDavis
Stats: 245.8/190.6/145
Start Date: March 2013
Down 0.8 of a pound today... at least it's a drop. We'll see what tomorrow brings...
tgibbon45 and MissLala

Oh and for the induction flu Trillex told me to up my salt a touch... it's an imbalance in electrolytes.... And let me mention Trillex is WONDERFUL!!!!! Now she would have made it all techinical, I can't do that ... so I just gave ya the short version!!!!

Last edited by LauraDavis; 05-19-2013 at 11:38 PM..
Old 05-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #1537
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AuburnNurse
Stats: 353/in progress/199
Start Date: 9/10/12, restart 5/6/13
I agree with the salt intake! I had minimal flu effects just adding table salt to my two salads a day. Last time around I did not do this and felt awful-- nausea, lethargy, no energy or hunger. Now I feel much much better!

I'm starting day 15 today. I finished my two weeks, but think I'm going to do at least one more week on induction before upping my carbs any.

Starting weight 347 on 5/6
5/13: 337
5/20: 335.4

Not bad! An average of almost 6 pounds a week there. I'll take it. I've stayed on it with my carbs. I could probably stand to add a little more fat into my diet as well. I just hope I keep seeing the numbers change weekly. *fingers crossed*
Old 05-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #1538
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnNurse View Post
I agree with the salt intake! I had minimal flu effects just adding table salt to my two salads a day. Last time around I did not do this and felt awful-- nausea, lethargy, no energy or hunger. Now I feel much much better!

I'm starting day 15 today. I finished my two weeks, but think I'm going to do at least one more week on induction before upping my carbs any.

Not bad! An average of almost 6 pounds a week there. I'll take it. I've stayed on it with my carbs. I could probably stand to add a little more fat into my diet as well. I just hope I keep seeing the numbers change weekly. *fingers crossed*

I've been fortunate enough to not have gone through "the flu". I went through it really bad the first time around in 2004. This time it hasn't affected me as of yet. It could be because of the amount of salt I do take in. Thank you for the welcome!
Old 05-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #1539
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgibbon45 View Post
Starting weight 208.00
Day 4 of induction-down to 202.4
I'm super excited to lose the weight. I'm getting married August 31st and would love to be down about 40 pounds by then. I know that is a stretch.
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Compared to other ladies who are my size, I was a fairly slow loser at the beginning but I started on 11 May last year and even I had lost almost 40 pounds by the end of August. You've already lost 6 pounds in 4 days and I've never lost at that rate. So 40 pounds is definitely possible, especially since you have a specific time frame and a huge amount of motivation!

Stay determined and be who you want to be on your wedding day.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #1540
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLala View Post
Hello all. I started Induction 5/16/2013, and going through the infamous flu. Day 4 and only a pound, but I know my body is adjusting to this lifestyle change. I decided to put the scale away and weigh every two weeks ( well thats the plan lol). I have been reading the posts over the last days and found them helpful and supportive. Lord knows I need it. Thanks for listening.
Welcome to Atkins, Miss Lala!

I cosign Laura's advice to eat more salt if you're feeling the "induction flu."
Old 05-20-2013, 10:33 AM   #1541
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Now she would have made it all techinical, I can't do that ... so I just gave ya the short version!!!!
TeeHee! I am SO long-winded! Which is probably why I'm still single... My new rule is that, when I'm on a first date, I will not allow myself to talk about the details of anything I've read.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #1542
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Congratulations on making fabulous progress!
Old 05-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #1543
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MissLala
Stats: 278/277/165
Start Date: 5/16/2013
Thanks all for the warm welcome and the great advice for the 'flu'.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #1544
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Compared to other ladies who are my size, I was a fairly slow loser at the beginning but I started on 11 May last year and even I had lost almost 40 pounds by the end of August. You've already lost 6 pounds in 4 days and I've never lost at that rate. So 40 pounds is definitely possible, especially since you have a specific time frame and a huge amount of motivation!

Stay determined and be who you want to be on your wedding day.
I am soooo motivated. I'm even doing a 30 day squat and crunch challenge along with hiking. I love Atkins. Should have never stopped.

Thank you so much! You are an awesome motivator..

I was shocked I lost that.. It could be fluid, but again it is 6 lbs that isn't on my body any more. This fat has nothing on me.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:28 PM   #1545
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgibbon45 View Post
This fat has nothing on me.
You go, girl!
Old 05-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #1546
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Very good work. You made it past the hard part. I see you have a goal weight that is over 100 pounds away. Both Trillex and myself have stayed on induction levels for many months and are coming up on 100 pounds lost. Induction levels works and will help you to continue to lose.

Since you

a) have a long way to go,
b) it is clearly working for you,
c) You have proven you can do it,

Why not stay at induction level for the foreseeable future. Don't change whats working for you!

I see myself as always targeting induction level carbs on a daily basis, with the exception of additional low carb vegetables. When I am at goal, I will eat more carby sauces like BBQ sauce and such occasionally and maybe splurge for one meal (sushi with rice comes to mind), but not one day, or week, I feel too good on this eating plan and I like being thinner.

Last edited by Big Stevie; 05-22-2013 at 01:18 PM..
Old 05-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #1547
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
I see myself as always targeting induction level carbs on a daily basis, with the exception of additional low carb vegetables. When I am at goal, I will eat more carby sauces like BBQ sauce and such occasionally and maybe splurge for one meal (sushi with rice comes to mind), but not one day, or week, I feel too good on this eating plan and I like being thinner.
I feel the exact same way.

I was eating a pint of ice cream or gelato at least once every day -- more than one pint per day on days when I went downtown to a shop that makes homemade ice cream. But I now realize that eating that way was making me ILL -- I couldn't walk a block without back pain, I was always out of breath, and I had zero stamina. So I just honestly don't want to go back to that.

I don't believe ONE bowl of ice cream is going to *destroy* the great health improvements that I've worked to achieve. HOWEVER, ice cream was part of a generally health destroying lifestyle, and I no longer want to live that lifestyle. So I genuinely don't want any ice cream, or ice cream substitutes, or anything in the ice cream *family* because I still have painful memories of sitting at the bus stop and trying not to cry from the frustration of missing a bus because I was too out-of-shape to run 25 feet to catch that bus.

The fact that I genuinely enjoy the food I'm eating helps a lot. I *only* eat foods that I enjoy, it's just that I choose those foods from the induction lists. I think this diet would be very difficult for me if I didn't enjoy meat and fish as much as I do. But there isn't any food item that I'm currently *not* eating that is worth suffering chronic back pain to have. The pleasure of food is just too fleeting, compared to the long-lasting health problems that I endured for years, so I just don't feel compelled to eat anything that I believe will *hurt* me.

With that said, though, I am currently moving up the Ongoing Weight Loss carb ladder. Because I want to test and see how different foods will affect my body.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #1548
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: squirrel watch
Stats: 5'6"~202/186/140~29yrs
WOE: Atkins <25g + JUDDD
Start Date: LoCarb:4-14-13/JUDDD: 5-13-13
Quote:
I don't believe ONE bowl of ice cream is going to *destroy* the great health improvements that I've worked to achieve. HOWEVER, ice cream was part of a generally health destroying lifestyle, and I no longer want to live that lifestyle. So I genuinely don't want any ice cream, or ice cream substitutes, or anything in the ice cream *family* because I still have painful memories of sitting at the bus stop and trying not to cry from the frustration of missing a bus because I was too out-of-shape to run 25 feet to catch that bus.
For me, it's Coke/Pepsi. I just don't want anything to do with any beverages made with a bunch of corn syrup/sugar. Soda is my absolute nemesis. I remember NEEDING it to wake up, to eat, to calm down when stressed, etc. I really felt like I couldn't live without it.

I eat low carb ice cream. I don't have that much of a painful history with it! But I can relate to all the feelings Trillex mentioned; insert-my-trigger-food-names-here.

So I think, really, there are no rules other than following something that supports one's well-being, i.e. keeps us happy and in ketosis

"I refuse to give up on myself."
Old 05-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #1549
Senior LCF Member

You guys are amazing! Trillex, thanks. You and Big Stevie are very inspiring! Thank you both for that. It's nice to know that others have been in my current pair of shoes. I don't have any terrible memories associated with food. I know somewhere it has some grasp on me, but when I WANT to, I can get a grasp on how I feel about food.

My downfall beverage would be sweet iced tea! By the gallon, please! I think I will stay on induction longer than I thought to do. I haven't started any OWL foods as of this time or expanded on anything else being added in. I feel good right now. I can certainly tell, though, if I haven't drank enough water. I keep a water bottle I refill at work and mark it with a Sharpie, making hashmarks each time I finish a bottle. Yesterday I didn't drink but 3 at work, and typically I'm on #5 or 6 by the time I leave each day. I felt ketosis breath approaching and felt a little weak, but I know now why.

But thankfully, I'm enjoying my water when I seldom did before. It seemed like punishment to drink it or had to bribe myself to drink any great, healthy amounts. Trillex, I like the way you said that when you started Atkins, you only had foods you enjoy, but chose them from the list of acceptable foods. I know what you mean. I am trying not to feel like I'm missing out on anything, but choosing to accept and enjoy the foods that are on the induction list, because those are the ones making me feel positive and healthy right now.

I do have a hard time wrapping my head around the high fat intake. I'm doing it, but after being trained to eat low fat, low cholesterol, etc, etc, this is hard. It's hard to cook my steak in butter and olive oil, and it's hard to not buy fat free dressing and mayo or eat Lean Cuisine for lunch. I hate seeing oil on my plate after I finish eating, but I'm getting used to it! I only do that at dinner-- my breakfast and lunch are much different, but that's when I get my extra fat in.

I like eating clean this way, and it feels good, but I have to eventually turn off the large, red beeping warning siren telling me something is too fattening! Does that get easier?
Old 05-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #1550
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I don't think you have to cook your steak in butter or oil, as long as you are get your necessary fats in some other way. Grilling or broiling would seem to be a good option. Also, FYI, I found one lean cuisine entree that was low carb (grilled sirloin tips with mushrooms and broccoli). There might be others at other stores. Not so great taste, so when the last one in my fridge is gone (or shared with the dog), I probably won't buy again. But the point is that it's really avoiding the noodles, potatoes and rice that up the carb count. There are some frozen entrees that fit the bill.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #1551
Senior LCF Member

Yes, filling up the carb count is sometimes harder than it seems! I typically don't cook in butter but olive oil. I know that we need several servings of healthy fat/ oils each day:butter, oil, etc, right? Good to know there's a couple of Lean Cuisines out there. I've tried a couple of the Atkins meals. The turkey one is so-so, but I really like the Carne Casada... it's like a bowl of meaty, tomatoey chili-- only 4 net carbs. My favorite with a salad for lunch. I've kind of strayed away from my lunchtime frozen meals and bring more things I should be eating. It's a new change, but I like changes... getting used to it, and honestly, missing carbs is not a problem for me.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #1552
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
My very favorite low carb frozen entree finds are Tandoor Chef Chicken Tandoori with Spinach and a similar one with Paneer and Spinach. I keep several of each in the freezer for when I come home famished. I can eat them and stay on plan.

Cedar Lane makes a pretty good eggplant parmesan and another that is a stuffed pepper, as well as an eggwhite breakfast omelette with spinach. There another brand of eggplant parmesan that's not too bad, but I don't remember the brand.

I think when the Atkins phase was peaking a few years back there were a lot more low carb choices in the freezer case. It's really a challenge to find anything with rice, noodles, potatoes, corn, beans, etc.

I too am pretty happy just eating what I prepare.

Last edited by Patience; 05-23-2013 at 03:38 PM..
Old 05-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #1553
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I do have a hard time wrapping my head around the high fat intake. I'm doing it, but after being trained to eat low fat, low cholesterol, etc, etc, this is hard. It's hard to cook my steak in butter and olive oil, and it's hard to not buy fat free dressing and mayo or eat Lean Cuisine for lunch. I hate seeing oil on my plate after I finish eating, but I'm getting used to it! I only do that at dinner-- my breakfast and lunch are much different, but that's when I get my extra fat in.
Personally, I never *added* a lot of fat to my food. I was putting a couple of tablespoons of butter on veggies during my first couple of months because, for some reason, I thought veggies would be *gross* without something to jazz them up. But then I realized that I actually find veggies quite delicious so I stopped adding butter.

Just cutting the carbs out of my diet, by following the induction guidelines, *naturally* put my daily macros at about 65% fat, 30% protein, and 5% carbs for the first 6 or 7 months. Each gram of fat contains more than twice as many calories as each gram of protein or carbs. And meat naturally contains fairly generous amounts of fat. So, if you measure your portions and log them into a tracking program, you may find that your diet has a higher percentage of calories from fat simply as a result of cutting the carbs.

To be honest, though, I'm probably not the greatest example of diet strategy because I've been eating a lot of seafood since New Year's so my daily macros have actually been pretty low-fat for the past 5 months or so. I just can't bring myself to shoot for particular, high-fat macros because I really enjoy the simplicity of Atkins and I don't want to add extra work to what I've found to be a great, simple program. HOWEVER, I'm not eating seafood because I'm *trying* to be low-fat -- and I definitely don't use low-fat products -- I'm just eating this way because this is what I *feel like* eating right now. Being able to eat what I feel like eating is what has helped me stick with the Atkins plan so I feel like I will be better off in the long-run if I eat in a way that I enjoy and can stick with for the long-term, even in the macros aren't *perfect*.

Now that grilling season is back, I will probably be eating more red meat and my macros will probably change back to what they were last summer.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #1554
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

My downfall beverage would be sweet iced tea! By the gallon, please! I think I will stay on induction longer than I thought to do. .

I can certainly tell, though, if I haven't drank enough water.

I do have a hard time wrapping my head around the high fat intake. .

I like eating clean this way, and it feels good, but I have to eventually turn off the large, red beeping warning siren telling me something is too fattening! Does that get easier?
Learn to drink Ice tea without sweetener. I do it daily and love it. You will get there.

You need to drink about a gallon of water a day. It really helps you lose. I found when I wasn't at a gallon, I stayed at the same weight.

Yes, it is hard to retrain your way of thinking regarding fats. But you must to be successful on this diet. It gets easier and will become second nature in a few months time.

The times when you are getting week, is probably due to lack of fat. Do one of the online trackers and find out what your ratio of fat, protein and carbs are. I bet you are light on fats. You need the fat to run on since you don't give your body sugar to run on. Target percentage are somewhere around 60% fat, 35% protein and 5% carb. Some eat more fat. Track a couple of days to see where you are at and report back.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #1555
Senior LCF Member

I finally got on a scale I trust. I am the same weight I have been for the past 7 or so weeks, 218 which is 80 pounds down. I am closer to goal and have lost a lot, maybe my body is just taking a break. I haven't been tracking my intake as closely as before. I really want to loose another 20 pounds. I guess at this point I am going to have to watch my calories and start doing more exercise. My exercise to date his been pretty minimal. It is time to dig in and make it to goal.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #1556
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jadelois
Hi I've just started on Induction this week:
Today I had: B- nothing
L- hot smoked salmon with baby leaf salad, a tomato, a tablespoon of honey mustard drizzle, a few slices of salami/pepperoni
D- broccoli, caul, carrot, chicken breast, bacon and cream cheese

Is this a suitable sort of plan. My carbs are below 20 and I usually eat breakfast of eggs with or without bacon. I also have a high protein yoghurt as something sweet now and again.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #1557
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I'm Afro-Caribbean and a large rear end is like dating *magic* in my culture... So flaunt it!

Seriously, though, I know it's a cultural thing but I genuinely don't understand why people in other cultures don't seem to value a larger rear end the way we do. I think it gives a very nice, womanly silhouette so it's very attractive. But my good friends in college were always trying to spanx their butts into submission. I honestly don't understand it.

I also think a large, high rear end looks great on men. Like, if you look at athletes like Didier Drogba, Samir Nasri, Karim Benzema, and Nicklas Bentdner, I think their butt silhouettes make them look stronger and more athletic. I think it makes their legs look longer and stronger.
I have to admit I laughed out loud at your large rear end comment! I have a large rear end and my fiance is 6'4" and 172 pounds.. We are like night and day. He is always telling me if I lose my rear I he will be mad lol.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #1558
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I'm Afro-Caribbean and a large rear end is like dating *magic* in my culture... So flaunt it!

Seriously, though, I know it's a cultural thing but I genuinely don't understand why people in other cultures don't seem to value a larger rear end the way we do. I think it gives a very nice, womanly silhouette so it's very attractive. But my good friends in college were always trying to spanx their butts into submission. I honestly don't understand it.

I also think a large, high rear end looks great on men. Like, if you look at athletes like Didier Drogba, Samir Nasri, Karim Benzema, and Nicklas Bentdner, I think their butt silhouettes make them look stronger and more athletic. I think it makes their legs look longer and stronger.
I have to admit I laughed out loud at your large rear end comment! I have a large rear end and my fiance is 6'4" and 172 pounds.. We are like night and day. He is always telling me if I lose my rear I he will be mad lol.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:35 AM   #1559
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
I finally got on a scale I trust. I am the same weight I have been for the past 7 or so weeks, 218 which is 80 pounds down. I am closer to goal and have lost a lot, maybe my body is just taking a break. I haven't been tracking my intake as closely as before. I really want to loose another 20 pounds. I guess at this point I am going to have to watch my calories and start doing more exercise. My exercise to date his been pretty minimal. It is time to dig in and make it to goal.
You've had these phases before, where you have remained the same weight for longer than a month and then had a substantial drop. So, you may not need to do anything except wait for the adjustments to show on the scale.

If you do need to make some adjustments in order to keep losing pounds, then this holding period might be a good guideline to show you what level of eating will allow you to maintain your weight.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:39 AM   #1560
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadelois View Post
Hi I've just started on Induction this week:
Today I had: B- nothing
L- hot smoked salmon with baby leaf salad, a tomato, a tablespoon of honey mustard drizzle, a few slices of salami/pepperoni
D- broccoli, caul, carrot, chicken breast, bacon and cream cheese

Is this a suitable sort of plan. My carbs are below 20 and I usually eat breakfast of eggs with or without bacon. I also have a high protein yoghurt as something sweet now and again.
Your menu looks good to me. Carrots are not on the induction list in the book I'm following, Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution. And yogurt is also not an induction-level food. But if you're eating small amounts of carrots, staying under 20g carbohydrates per day, and if you're only occasionally eating yogurt, you'll probably be fine. If you have any problems on the diet, though, you might want to consider eliminating the carrots and yogurt, and sticking to the foods on the induction list.
Closed Thread