Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 04:44 AM   #1471
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: straphe
Stats: 231/194.5/187
WOE: Atkins induction
Start Date: 15 January 2013
Hey guys, long time no see. Just wanted to check in and let everyone know that I'm still being a good boy, down to 192 lbs. Want to go below 190 and keep it there. I'm still doing Atkins induction, although I'm far less strict, so I really shouldn't be calling it induction.

I had two weeks where I drifted off plan, because of work and uni and stress and whatnot, and I have to tell you, those two weeks when I was eating anything and everything were simply horrible. I was very looking forward to going back to eating healthy food, which in and of itself is the best thing that could have happened while on Atkins.

Keep going people.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #1472
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by straphe View Post
Hey guys, long time no see. Just wanted to check in and let everyone know that I'm still being a good boy, down to 192 lbs. Want to go below 190 and keep it there. I'm still doing Atkins induction, although I'm far less strict, so I really shouldn't be calling it induction.

I had two weeks where I drifted off plan, because of work and uni and stress and whatnot, and I have to tell you, those two weeks when I was eating anything and everything were simply horrible. I was very looking forward to going back to eating healthy food, which in and of itself is the best thing that could have happened while on Atkins.

Keep going people.
How are the workouts going, Straphe? Just wondering! And when do your classes end? I teach at an American university and our classes ended a few weeks ago. Summer should be much less stressful for you, right?
Old 05-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #1473
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: straphe
Stats: 231/194.5/187
WOE: Atkins induction
Start Date: 15 January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
How are the workouts going, Straphe? Just wondering! And when do your classes end? I teach at an American university and our classes ended a few weeks ago. Summer should be much less stressful for you, right?
Workouts are going very well, although I haven't been able to go as regularly as I'd like - I'm still not comfortable going on my own and my friend had a very bad week, so haven't been this last week, but we're gonna hit it hard these coming days.

Last week was the last week of the semester, so that's out of the way. That means that all hand ins and coursework is done and dusted, and the exam period start tomorrow. It only lasts for ten days, and I only have one exam, on the ninth, so I should be fine.

Summer's going to be interesting - I'm starting a full time job on June 3rd, since this is my "placement year". Having finished two years of uni I could go out and get a real job for a year, while still being a part of the university and remaining a student, and than finish the third and final year next year. So basically my three year course is four years because of the sandwich placement year between years 2 and 3.

I've been working part time at the same web development company that I'm going to work at now since, like, last April, so I know what I'm going into, but it's going to be weird not having a proper break. At least I'll have money, tho.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I'm going to be going home to Transylvania on the 19th for two weeks, meeting up with some friends, that should be very fun and quite rewarding. I hope, at least.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #1474
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by straphe View Post
I'm going to be going home to Transylvania on the 19th for two weeks, meeting up with some friends, that should be very fun and quite rewarding. I hope, at least.
It sounds like you have a fun summer ahead -- even with working. You'll probably have more fun and socializing with colleagues than you did at university. At least, that was my experience with my first professional job after college. I ended up socializing more because the people around me had money to spend, unlike the money crunch in college. Have fun!

If you get to Bucharest, please give my regards to Gigi Becali. I seriously follow Steau just to see what Crazy Gigi is up to. That man is... Unique.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #1475
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmcd1070
Stats: pre-op 240/now 167/goal 130
WOE: Organic Low Carb
Start Date: WLS 2-8-11. Atkins (reboot) 4-7-14
I don't weigh again until Sunday but today I tried on my size 14 pants that I could not button before my trip to CA last month. Not only could I button them but they zipped up easily and the waist was actually an inch too big (but of course not too big for my big wide hips!) So I wore my size 14 slacks to work today and a sleeveless (GASP!) blouse to work and my boss said right away "How much weight have you lost? You can really tell!" She always comments on people's appearances so it wasn't that unusual, I was just excited that they fit and comfortably when sitting at my desk all day! =)
I'm less excited by the scale and way more interested in the Pant-O-Meter!
Old 05-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #1476
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Amandaetr
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcd1070 View Post
I don't weigh again until Sunday but today I tried on my size 14 pants that I could not button before my trip to CA last month. Not only could I button them but they zipped up easily and the waist was actually an inch too big (but of course not too big for my big wide hips!) So I wore my size 14 slacks to work today and a sleeveless (GASP!) blouse to work and my boss said right away "How much weight have you lost? You can really tell!" She always comments on people's appearances so it wasn't that unusual, I was just excited that they fit and comfortably when sitting at my desk all day! =)
There is nothing quite like fitting into a previously tight pair of pants!
Old 05-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #1477
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Congratulations on the downward progress! I take measurements but I think clothes actually tell you a lot more than the tape measure because clothes show how much you've lost *overall*, not just at certain points. Like, when the waistbands of pants get bigger, I've found that a lot of the extra roominess in the waist is a compound result of losing size on the hips and thighs. Even if your *main* hip measurement hasn't changed a lot, sometimes areas of the hips have lost some size that totally changes the fit of the pants -- which is awesome!
Old 05-08-2013, 02:15 AM   #1478
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LauraDavis
Stats: 245.8/190.6/145
Start Date: March 2013
CONGRATZ cmcd1070

I can't tell so well where I am pants wise... I out grew my pants then out grew his old pants... they were so tight I had to break down and go to good will and buy new pants so they came in all kinds of sizes. Just real hard to tell where I'm at. Can't wait till I'm back in my own pants and then I'll really be able to tell where I'm at. Plus I have a pile about 3 - 4' tall of pants I can't wear any more on the shelf above my clothes... they just stare at me daring me to be able to wear them again... sigh... want to be able to wear them now!

Last edited by LauraDavis; 05-08-2013 at 02:19 AM..
Old 05-08-2013, 02:55 AM   #1479
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraDavis View Post
Plus I have a pile about 3 - 4' tall of pants I can't wear any more on the shelf above my clothes... they just stare at me daring me to be able to wear them again... sigh... want to be able to wear them now!
That was ME all last summer, Laura! I gained weight as an adult and I kept all of my favorite clothes, even when I outgrew them. And for some foolish reason, I've divided my storage boxes up by season and type of clothing but not by size. So when I went through the summer boxes last year, I had to look at all of these clothes that I loved but couldn't wear. So while I was dieting and working so hard all last summer, I would occasionally go down to the basement and pull out cute summer clothes and try them on and they still didn't fit and it was soooo upsetting -- I can't even describe that feeling to you. I lost almost 40 pounds between May and the end of August, so I was somewhat devastated that I was never able to get into most of the clothes in my boxes. I got into the size 14s, which was great. But size 12 still felt like a dream. And the smaller sizes were just painful to look at.

When the weather changed a few weeks ago, I packed up the winter clothes and pulled out the summer clothes that I wanted to wear so DESPERATELY last summer and, I kid you not, they're now too big! The tops are fine. You know, tops are pretty forgiving. And some of the dresses are fine, especially sundresses where I can just pin the straps underneath and close up the arm gap. But the skirts and pants are totally unwearable. I have a pair of beautiful, pink, wide-leg silk pants that I loved (and spent a fortune on) but they looked ABSURD on me when I tried them on with a belt because they bag out under the belt and the crotch hangs too low to be decent. The thing that amazes me is that I tried LAYING DOWN ON THE BED and zipping those pants up last summer while wearing spanx and I got nowhere with them, even though they're wide-leg pants and I'd hoped they would be forgiving.

I guess I should have expected this -- this is what I was *hoping* for when I started the diet, right? But I'm still amazed that it actually happened. I guess I never truly believed that I would ever have to pack those clothes away because they're too *large* -- but that's what happens! Mark my words: you will pack that stack of pants away one day because you'll be wearing a smaller size. It feels unbelievable, until it happens. And it happens sooner than you think. It took me something like 5 years to grow past the size 10s and 12s and it's taken less than a year to lose down past them -- and I didn't lose as quickly as you've been losing!
Old 05-08-2013, 04:16 AM   #1480
Major LCF Poster!

I hope so I keep grabing the biggest pair of my size 16s and trying them. I can get them on but way too tight for my taste. I have been wearing nice lose clothes but the 16s give me a muffin top when I put them on and I don't like it. I needed space in my capris area in my closet so I put up the Baby Phatt capris today... it made me sad. They are 14s so maybe the goal for this summer. But if it comes to it I'll wear them this fall and even this winter.... I want to wear them again. It will be almost a shame when they are too big... but I'm ready for that too....

Had to laugh to myself tonight at work. The gal that came back and made it so I changed jobs is doing all this talk about eating low carb. She went out of her way to get this low carb quiche and then 20 minutes later she ate this hugh piece of regular full sugar cheesecake.... it really had me rolling and I would have if I could have gotten away with it and not been rude.... just needed to share. Still laughing inside.

Last edited by LauraDavis; 05-08-2013 at 04:19 AM..
Old 05-08-2013, 04:33 AM   #1481
Major LCF Poster!

Oh I just decided my next reward! SPA DAY with hair cut. Now I have to decide if it's for the next 20# or wait 5# more and make it for hitting onederland... decisions decisions. What do you guys and gals think?
Old 05-08-2013, 05:43 AM   #1482
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I vote for the nearer term reward.
You deserve it, plus it will give you momentum.
Well done!
Old 05-08-2013, 06:46 AM   #1483
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosealenephoto
Stats: 216.8/214.2/140
WOE: atkins
Start Date: May 5, 2013
Ok foods?

So I made a shopping trip last night. Lots of eggs to make deviled eggs (can I eat as many as I want throughout the day?) lots of fish to grill for the week... Also I bought some steak- already cut with onion and fresh cilantro. Was thinking about making some today for lunch- taco minus the shell- just wrap in lettuce with some cheese and a little sour cream would this be ok in the induction phase?
Also-last night image sugar free jello and whipped with some cool whip(1 carb) is that an ok dessert?
I haven't purchased ketone strips yet- and have only started this diet Monday. As of last night no difference on the scale.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:51 AM   #1484
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosealenephoto
Stats: 216.8/214.2/140
WOE: atkins
Start Date: May 5, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2tjanaw View Post
Hi. I'm Kat and I'm new to this but I've got to do something. I'm 5 foot 4.5 inches and just over 200 lbs, with all my weight in my belly so I look perpetually pregnant. I've had 6 babies and after #6 made sure there were no more coming, so now I am focusing on me. My husband did Atkins a few years ago and lost 40 lbs in 2 months. Not that I expect to have that drastic of a loss but my goal weight is 140. I am also nursing so I plan on finding a good multivitamin or vitamins to ensure he isn't affected by this. This will be trail and error, with tweaking it as I go. I look forward to reading other posts to help me along.
I'm also nursing still. What kind of vitamin do you take and do you alter anything else?
Old 05-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #1485
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for the support I know 14 is still a plus size but coming from a 22/24 Petite, 14 is a great place to be.

Quote:
...But size 12 still felt like a dream. And the smaller sizes were just painful to look at.
That's where I am now! 12 seems like a dream!! Size 10 is fantasyland!

Quote:
...you will pack that stack of pants away one day because you'll be wearing a smaller size.
I just got rid of all the size 18's in my house. They were silly big on me for a while but I was afraid I might gain again so I kept them. When 14 ever gets loose, I will ditch the 16's too. I don't want to give myself any room to get that big again!! (plus I really don't have a lot of room for storage)

Laura, I think you should do it at your 20lb mark. That's a HUGE accomplishment in such a short amount of time! You deserve a nice spa day reward!
Old 05-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #1486
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraDavis View Post
Oh I just decided my next reward! SPA DAY with hair cut. Now I have to decide if it's for the next 20# or wait 5# more and make it for hitting onederland... decisions decisions. What do you guys and gals think?
I think you should do both, since both are legitimate milestones that you value. I think it's super smart that you thought of doing this!
Old 05-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #1487
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosealenephoto View Post
So I made a shopping trip last night. Lots of eggs to make deviled eggs (can I eat as many as I want throughout the day?) lots of fish to grill for the week... Also I bought some steak- already cut with onion and fresh cilantro. Was thinking about making some today for lunch- taco minus the shell- just wrap in lettuce with some cheese and a little sour cream would this be ok in the induction phase?
Also-last night image sugar free jello and whipped with some cool whip(1 carb) is that an ok dessert?
I haven't purchased ketone strips yet- and have only started this diet Monday. As of last night no difference on the scale.
Welcome to Atkins!

With regard to the deviled eggs, I would say to eat whenever you're hungry. If that means eating 10 deviled eggs in a day or 2 deviled eggs in a day, I think you'll be fine as long as you're legitimately eating in response to your hunger -- and not "overeating" just because there are handy deviled eggs to snack on, or "undereating" in response to trying to quickly lose weight on a diet.

With regard to the tacos, check the details about daily amounts of cheese and sour cream in whichever version of Atkins you're following. The version I'm following limits cheese to 3-4 ounces per day and limits sour cream to 1 ounce per day, but I believe there are different rules in different versions of the plan. Even if you don't weigh and track *all* of your food, you might benefit from measuring and keeping track of the foods that your Atkins plan puts specific limits on. This way, you can be absolutely sure you're being compliant with the diet and making the best progress you can make.

Personally, I wouldn't eat the Cool Whip. My understanding of the Atkins diet is that it doesn't just limit carbs, it also removes certain *types* of foods from the diet (at least for a period of time). Double-check the package -- I'm not an expert so I might be mistaken -- but I think even the Cool Whip products that don't contain many carb grams still contains corn syrup. It's a small amount so it probably won't *harm* your diet, to be honest, but some people respond to sugar as an addictive substance. And keeping a sugar addiction fed seems to make low-carb dieting a lot less pleasant for people.

CMD and Big Stevie have both recently mentioned bad responses to artificially sweet things. So you might also want to pay close attention to the way that your body responds to the sugar free jello. Some people don't have problems with artificial sweeteners, but some people seem to react badly to artificial sweeteners.

Good luck! I've found Atkins to be a very pleasant way to lose weight. I honestly think the food choices are quite enjoyable. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!
Old 05-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #1488
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
That's where I am now! 12 seems like a dream!! Size 10 is fantasyland!
I went and found this post that I made back in October:

Quote:
I don't really sweat scale numbers BUT I've been "on the verge" of a size 12 for so long, I will absolutely lose my mind when I can finally, comfortably wear a size 12. Size 12 isn't my ultimate goal, but I've been so close for so long that finally hitting that size 12 milestone will feel like a significant change.
When I wrote that post, on 22 October, I was absolutely DESPERATE to get into a size 12. I spent almost $200 on three pairs of Under Armour size 12 workout pants and those pants looked so TINY to me that I felt somewhat embarrassed to be buying them because the saleslady could clearly see that I would never, ever fit into them. I was so *ready* to be a size 12 that size 12 started to seem like a goal to me, even more than my *real* goal weight.

I finally got into those Under Armour size 12 pants in November -- YAY! -- and I wore them to workout in for most of the winter. But I reached a point in February in which I couldn't wear those pants any more because they literally wouldn't stay up during workouts because they were too large. When I started the diet last May, my trainer said that the only thing that stood between me at 235 pounds and me at 135 pounds was *time*. When he said that, I felt like it was corny, overly-simplistic, and it felt kind of fake to me. But he wasn't being fake. As long as I'm doing what I signed up to do, my only obstacle is time.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #1489
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: angie1
Stats: 176/173.8/155 - 5'5
WOE: JUDDD*
Hi everyone! I am definitely an induction newbie! Today is day 1 and it is going well so far -- no energy drops thanks to caffeine! I am not new to low-carb but I have never dropped my carbs to 20g a day and I hope that is the difference I need to get my carb cravings under control! I binge like crazy when I get one taste of chocolate or bread!
I started today at 184.4 lbs and would to lose around 20 lbs by July!
Old 05-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #1490
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie1 View Post
Hi everyone! I am definitely an induction newbie! Today is day 1 and it is going well so far -- no energy drops thanks to caffeine! I am not new to low-carb but I have never dropped my carbs to 20g a day and I hope that is the difference I need to get my carb cravings under control! I binge like crazy when I get one taste of chocolate or bread!
I started today at 184.4 lbs and would to lose around 20 lbs by July!
Welcome to Atkins induction, Angie! Before I started, I thought it was going to be really difficult to *diet* but it has actually been a very pleasant experience. Once all of the junk food was out of my diet, fresh and simple foods that I never paid attention to before, like bell peppers or cucumbers, started to taste AMAZING!
Old 05-09-2013, 01:05 AM   #1491
Major LCF Poster!

Angie... the people here are great and very helpful. Glad you decided to join us.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:22 AM   #1492
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: squirrel watch
Stats: 5'6"~202/186/140~29yrs
WOE: Atkins <25g + JUDDD
Start Date: LoCarb:4-14-13/JUDDD: 5-13-13
I'm starting to wonder whether I am stalling, gaining, or losing. It's my TOM day 3ish. I really hate this water weight variable! Steady between 189.8 and 190.4. I was losing consistently up to its start. Feeling a bit defeated and icky.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #1493
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel watch View Post
I'm starting to wonder whether I am stalling, gaining, or losing. It's my TOM day 3ish. I really hate this water weight variable! Steady between 189.8 and 190.4. I was losing consistently up to its start. Feeling a bit defeated and icky.
If you look through the posts near the end of the month on past Induction Challenge threads, some people make a note next to their weights during their time of month so when you look at their entire month's progress you can see how some people tend to fluctuate during that time and you can see when things balance out for them again. You could probably even find posts from someone who is approximately your current weight. I know that what *somebody else* does won't necessarily predict *your* future. But it might be interesting to see if you have a similar pattern.

Even when fat loss is steady from day to day, the scale won't necessarily show what's really happening because so many other factors, which aren't related to fat loss, affect your scale weight. I think women see this more acutely than men because our gender-dominant hormones affect water balance and tissue inflammation, but Big Stevie has had times where the scale stayed exactly the same for several weeks and then he would suddenly drop 10 or more pounds.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #1494
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I'm actually feeling better already. I know for sure before I was working out a lot, and then I stopped because of my TOM symptoms. I will get back to the gym and see if I can get things going again.

Also darned sugar alcohols!
Old 05-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #1495
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Even when fat loss is steady from day to day, the scale won't necessarily show what's really happening because so many other factors, which aren't related to fat loss, affect your scale weight. I think women see this more acutely than men because our gender-dominant hormones affect water balance and tissue inflammation, but Big Stevie has had times where the scale stayed exactly the same for several weeks and then he would suddenly drop 10 or more pounds.
indeed, my hormones are crazy!!!!

How are you doing, Trillex?

Last edited by squirrel watch; 05-09-2013 at 12:07 PM..
Old 05-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #1496
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
How are you doing, Trillex?
I'm fine! I'm a bit annoyed right now, to be honest, because there's a major bodybuilding competition in Michigan this month (actually two majors, one professional and one amateur) so the guys at the gym are behaving very badly. They all turn into monsters right before competition because the guys who are competing are starving and the guys who aren't competing feel intimidated by the guys who compete. Let me tell you, a woman's menstruation hormones are MILD compared to the hormonal madness of pre-contest bodybuilders! A couple of guys actually made fun of me this week, and I am not going to allow that.

/end Rant
Old 05-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #1497
Major LCF Poster!

you get them Trillex... don't let them do that!!!!
Grrr... up 2 hours early... but can't go back to sleep. Tonight is gonna be a long night.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #1498
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I went and found this post that I made back in October:

When I wrote that post, on 22 October, I was absolutely DESPERATE to get into a size 12. I spent almost $200 on three pairs of Under Armour size 12 workout pants and those pants looked so TINY to me that I felt somewhat embarrassed to be buying them because the saleslady could clearly see that I would never, ever fit into them. I was so *ready* to be a size 12 that size 12 started to seem like a goal to me, even more than my *real* goal weight.

I finally got into those Under Armour size 12 pants in November -- YAY! -- and I wore them to workout in for most of the winter. But I reached a point in February in which I couldn't wear those pants any more because they literally wouldn't stay up during workouts because they were too large. When I started the diet last May, my trainer said that the only thing that stood between me at 235 pounds and me at 135 pounds was *time*. When he said that, I felt like it was corny, overly-simplistic, and it felt kind of fake to me. But he wasn't being fake. As long as I'm doing what I signed up to do, my only obstacle is time.
Yes, I read when you were wanting to fit into size 12 and now look at you!!! I have to tell you how inspiring it is for me to see the progress you made over the course of your postings in here. You're several steps ahead of me but I know if I stick to it, I will follow in your wake!

Soooo... I ordered some jeans online before we went on vacation in April. They were regular store (as opposed to plus sized store) 16 petite (not stretchy). I'm a 14 petite (P) at plus stores and THOUGHT i was a 16 P in regular stores, but those jeans just would NOT button!! I almost sent them back because they were SO impossible at the time I thought eeesh, it will be years before THOSE darn things fit! But I got lazy and just threw them on the shelf. I got them out this morning and they fit too, just like those capri pants. I couldn't believe it. Again, a little too big in the waist but comfortable around my hips\butt. I'm a little sad that they are SIZE 16 but I know a little less than a month ago they didn't fit so progress is progress!

I really really really wanted to weigh but I am going to stick to only Sundays at least, maybe less as time goes on. As long as the trend continues downward, it doesn't really matter exactly what the scale says at any given moment.

Last edited by cmcd1070; 05-09-2013 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: wanted to add re: scale
Old 05-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #1499
Major LCF Poster!

Going to pull size 16 out the closet again... try try again...
Old 05-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #1500
Senior LCF Member

Trillex,

Darn that was so rude. Ugh. And I thought estrogen was evil

cmcd,

Congrats on fitting into pants!!!! I'm looking forward to that in the near future. I have tons of cute GAP khaki shorts that are 14. Some are 16 because of the style. So I think the size itself doesn't matter as much as the fit/cut. I have a huge butt so I commiserate.
Closed Thread