Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 09:06 AM   #121
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cosmicstargoat
Stats: 248.5/241.4/215.0 by Oct. 1
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 21, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezie View Post
Hi Cosmicstargoat(are you an astronomer?)

Shirataki noodles seem to be mostly fiber and plant derived. I got them at safeway. They have 40 calories for a whole bag and 1 net carb. They smell weird out of the package but after you rinse and cook them for two minutes they really taste like noodles. We will see if they stall me or not.
Thanks, I'll order some and see how it goes. Any low carb canned tomato products out there?

No, not an astronomer, but I am very interested in the universe.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Neezie
Stats: 238.2/getting smaller!/130
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: July 2012
I love these tips, Cosmicstargoat. Thanks!

cosmicstargoat wrote:

-Don't overeat. The first time I attacked the meat like it was a personal challenge. I ended up taking in too many calories and gained weight on induction.

-Use ****** or the equivalent to monitor your food. Enter everything

-Don't cheat, not even a tiny bit (see ******)

-AVOID Diet Sodas like the plague. Diet sodas will fool your body into thinking its getting something and when it realizes its not, it will ravage you with hunger pangs. Just don't.

-Eat the proper ratio of fat/protein. Fat is your friend. Again, don't gorge on meat (or anything else)

-Make sure most of your >20 grams of carbs are from vegetables, not food processing additives.

-Don't weight yourself more than every two weeks. I know that it's tempting and everyone wants that gratification, but daily fluctuations can send you into a psychological tailspin. Hide the scale.

-Don't Panic. If you screw up, don't think that all is lost. Simply forget it and stick to your guns the rest of the way.

-No alcohol. I love beer like sex, but you cannot rationalize with "Well, Jack Daniels doesn't have carbs, so I can have some instead of beer. Just say no.

-Give yourself time. It took a long time to get overweight, so how can you rationally expect to solve this issue in days or weeks?

-If you're stalled or not losing, come here for help. There are lots of reasons and some of us can help. Some drugs like statins or Singulair for asthma can make it had to lose weight. Just ask us for help.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #123
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I love these tips, Cosmicstargoat. Thanks!

cosmicstargoat wrote:

-Don't overeat. The first time I attacked the meat like it was a personal challenge. I ended up taking in too many calories and gained weight on induction.

-Use ****** or the equivalent to monitor your food. Enter everything

-Don't cheat, not even a tiny bit (see ******)

-AVOID Diet Sodas like the plague. Diet sodas will fool your body into thinking its getting something and when it realizes its not, it will ravage you with hunger pangs. Just don't.

-Eat the proper ratio of fat/protein. Fat is your friend. Again, don't gorge on meat (or anything else)

-Make sure most of your >20 grams of carbs are from vegetables, not food processing additives.

-Don't weight yourself more than every two weeks. I know that it's tempting and everyone wants that gratification, but daily fluctuations can send you into a psychological tailspin. Hide the scale.

-Don't Panic. If you screw up, don't think that all is lost. Simply forget it and stick to your guns the rest of the way.

-No alcohol. I love beer like sex, but you cannot rationalize with "Well, Jack Daniels doesn't have carbs, so I can have some instead of beer. Just say no.

-Give yourself time. It took a long time to get overweight, so how can you rationally expect to solve this issue in days or weeks?

-If you're stalled or not losing, come here for help. There are lots of reasons and some of us can help. Some drugs like statins or Singulair for asthma can make it had to lose weight. Just ask us for help.
You're welcome. I wrote them as much for me as for everyone else. It's so easy to get discouraged, rationalize, fall off the wagon and give up. I know, I've been there and it is painful. I still think that they most important key is to educate ourselves about nutrition. When I get discouraged, I pick up the Atkins book or watch the Dr. Robert Lustig video again.

Low carbs does work. Low carbs is the answer, there is no doubt in my mind. Anything that is worth achieving usually come at a price, nothing is easy.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #124
Senior LCF Member

dagnyt- Isn't keeping track of our carb intake surprising? I thought I was at 5 carbs one day, but was really at 18.

Cosmicstargoat- I am watching the video. I am loving it and on part 5. WOW!!! This is so enlightening and finally makes sense about why I wasn't losing any weight on a 1200 calorie diet for years. Also, explains why I developed hypoglycemia based on insulin resistance. Everyone should watch this. I am wondering why low carb diets aren't being embraced by the majority of the medical community.

Sails- I am in love with Low Carb Linda's recipes. Everything I've ever tried of hers is delicious. Her pizza tastes just like pizza (induction friendly). Her chile relleno casserole is amazing and even her pork fried rice. All induction recipes.

Big Stevie- Way to stay on plan in a social eating situation!

LoveLosingit- HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!
Old 07-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #125
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
Day 4 was tough. I was hungry all day. In another thread someone said drinking alcohol causes cravings. Well I sure had them yesterday after having one drink on day 3. I dont know if it was related to the alcohol or not but i wont be finding out again any time soon. Good news is I fought through it and ate right all day. Hopefully today will be better.

A couple people have already said I look thinner. I think carbs just puff you up.

Last edited by Big Stevie; 07-27-2012 at 10:36 AM..
Old 07-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #126
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
dagnyt- Isn't keeping track of our carb intake surprising? I thought I was at 5 carbs one day, but was really at 18.

Cosmicstargoat- I am watching the video. I am loving it and on part 5. WOW!!! This is so enlightening and finally makes sense about why I wasn't losing any weight on a 1200 calorie diet for years. Also, explains why I developed hypoglycemia based on insulin resistance. Everyone should watch this. I am wondering why low carb diets aren't being embraced by the majority of the medical community.
It's a political and economic issue. The Food Companies are not about to let their big selling products be undermined by something as mundane as THE TRUTH. There are a lot of dollars at stake. Just look at the explosion of the phenomena known as Energy Drinks. Those things are absolute poison. Look at Gatorade, for example. Even the G2 version is off the charts for carbs.

America and the world is sick and getting sicker. The enemy is sugar. Only until there is an outcry like there was for cigarettes will anything be done. Corporate America will not relinquish these profits without a fight, count on it. The key is education, but unfortunately this country is becoming dumber as they become fatter.

It's a big, complex problem.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #127
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kristall
Stats: 286/258/145
Start Date: 06/10/12
Last week I borrowed Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution Cooksbook from the library. I tried some of the recipes and they were really good. I needed some new ideas and everything was easy.

I know about Linda's Low Carb website. Anyone else find any good low carb cookbooks or recipe websites?

Want to share something you've created?
Old 07-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #128
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sails92
Stats: 319/309/175
WOE: Low Carb / Exercise (-10)
Start Date: 06/01/14
Thanks for the OMM recipes, I'll have to make another stop at Walmart for the ground flax seeds. THANK YOU!!!!!!
Old 07-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #129
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cstyles
Stats: 297/293/150
WOE: Atkins, the "old" one
Start Date: 07/15/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by amlyjo View Post
I have 2 packages of them in my fridge that I got at Sprouts. Mine have Tofu so they aren't as completely carb/calorie free as some I have seen. I'm scared to try them. They look like worms packaged in water. I have read some threads on the best way to cook them and I am still scared of them. I guess I need to just do it already. Most people like them because they bulk up your recipe, but so far I haven't needed to add bulk, so I haven't thought to break them out.

Mmmmmmmm, slimy worms for dinner!!
I have some in my fridge, too. I'm unsure of what to do with them. I'd like to know what other people do with them. My plan was to use them with veggies and a bit of LC alfredo sauce. Maybe tomorrow.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #130
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
Day 4 was tough. I was hungry all day. In another thread someone said drinking alcohol causes cravings. Well I sure had them yesterday after having one drink on day 3. I dont know if it was related to the alcohol or not but i wont be finding out again any time soon. Good news is I fought through it and ate right all day. Hopefully today will be better.

A couple people have already said I look thinner. I think carbs just puff you up.
Great job! I have some wine in the pantry that I keep looking at, but will not open. Hang in there....
Old 07-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Cathy,
Try Low Carb Linda's chicken alfredo sauce and put over noodles with parm cheese. Tasted like the real thing!
Old 07-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #132
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Cathy,
Try Low Carb Linda's chicken alfredo sauce and put over noodles with parm cheese. Tasted like the real thing!
thanks, Neezie! I'll cook it tomorrow.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #133
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Catrapoin
Stats: 214/184/118 (highest is pregnancy weight)
WOE: Low carb plus exercise
Start Date: 01/27/2010... Restart 01/11/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by betty301 View Post
oh and hello fellow military person :P
what part of MD?
We're in Pax River.

The recipe I found for the OMM is:

1/4 cup ground flax
1tsp- 2tbsp butter ( i guess it varies??)
1 egg
1/4 tsp baking powder
cinnamon
splenda

mix dry ingredients in a coffee cup, add wet ingredients...pop into mic for 1 minute..(mine takes 1 min 30s) I liked it with extra butter spread on top and cinnamon.
We're at Ft Meade, but I'm currently in Cali for training. I'll be back soon though

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstyles View Post
I have some in my fridge, too. I'm unsure of what to do with them. I'd like to know what other people do with them. My plan was to use them with veggies and a bit of LC alfredo sauce. Maybe tomorrow.
I've found that the shirataki type noodles go best with Asian style dishes and stir fries. Personally I didn't like them with Italian dishes, but that's just my opinion.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #134
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrapoin View Post
We're at Ft Meade, but I'm currently in Cali for training. I'll be back soon though

I've found that the shirataki type noodles go best with Asian style dishes and stir fries. Personally I didn't like them with Italian dishes, but that's just my opinion.
Thanks! I do like stir fry. Do the noodles go in toward the end? I usually put chicken, mushrooms, chopped cabbage, egg sometimes, pepper, onion. not necessarily in that order though...
Old 07-27-2012, 04:34 PM   #135
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Betty301 my daughter lives there.husband works at pax..we go there lots.she wants me to move there.but I live in va right off the blue ridge parkway so beautiful here hate to leave but I hate the 6 hr drive..

I've been doing Atkins for 11 days.i did it before and lost 70 lbs.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #136
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dagnyt
Stats: 228/228/145
Start Date: July 23, 2012
Ack! Somebody please smack me upside the head or tell me not to freak or something.

I stepped on the scale (after eating dinner) and it showed a 4 pound gain!! I'm freaking out!

I know, logically, that I should not be getting on the scale after I ate dinner. I also know that I drank way less water than I should have today. I know that I barely ate any vegetables today too. (about 2 cups of lettuce, 3 slices of green pepper, 1/4 of an avocado, and 2 tomato slices, about 1/4 of a cucumber, and 2 carb-free dill pickles)

Still...4 pounds! UP! Totally wrong direction here!

As far as how I feel...mostly I feel great. Plenty of energy, no afternoon slump where I feel like I need a nap.

I've been having heart palpitations that annoy the crap out of me, but otherwise I feel great.

I have not gone off the plan at all. Not one tiny bit. If I come through 2 weeks of this with a gain I'm going to cry.

Oh, I'm on day 5 of induction.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #137
Senior LCF Member

Dagnyt- Post some of your menus? Maybe some old pros can help you. No worries. I know that my weight can go up even 5 pounds during the day from food and water.

Cathy and Catrapoin- I will try some asian dishes with the shirataki, though my chicken alfredo was delicious. But, hey, I'm Italian. I could put chicken alfredo sauce on anything and love it.

Today, I wasn't that hungry. Hubby took me golfing 14 holes yesterday for his Bday and I was tired today.

B-flax muffin with cream cheese
L- One chicken breast
S-another flax muffin with cream cheese
D- ribeye and creamed spinach.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:39 AM   #138
Junior LCF Member

Sure!

Yesterday:

Breakfast - 2 eggs, 1 ounce of cream cheese, about 1 tablespoon of shredded cheddar, about 2 ounces of breakfast sausage (checked to be sure, no sugars or carbs)

Lunch - 2 ounces of roast beef, 1/2 tablespoon of Ken's ranch dressing (1 carb), 2 dill pickles (no more carbs than 1/4 of a cucumber)

Snack - small handful of pork rinds

Dinner - 2 cups romaine, 4 slices of green pepper, 1/4 avocado, 2 small tomato wedges (maybe 1/8 of a tomato), a few chunks of celery (less than a stalk), boneless/skinless chicken breast with a homemade spice rub (no sugar)
ranch made with sour cream and mix. no carbs in the mix, no sugars. about 1 tablespoon

Snack and dessert - flourless/carbless chocolate cake (made in the microwave..got the recipe here. Splenda, egg, cocoa powder, baking soda, cream of tartar), cheese chips (small amounts of shredded cheddar and grated parmesan cooked in the microwave until crispy). About 8 chips.

One coffee in the morning. Water during the day, dinner, and evening.

Same breakfast this morning with a side of bacon.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:47 AM   #139
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
Such as?
~I'd like to see some studies on a long term VLC diet and the effects it has once you start exercising.

~The average time people manage to stay in induction to come within 5-10lbs of the goal weight.

~How many people have actually made it from induction to long term maintenance. Adding those 5carbs/week at a time seems tedious.

I imagine this is where people struggle...

I think that's it for now.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:03 AM   #140
Senior LCF Member

I never wanted pasta badly enough to eat those shiritaki noodles..I mean, there ok, but not worth the cost in my opinion.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:06 AM   #141
Senior LCF Member

Dangyt- do you track your foods at all?
And so silly to weigh after eating!!! lol
When will it be one week for you?? I'd weigh then.

I'm going to try not weigh until Wed morning.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:21 AM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Dagnyt-I understand why you weighed yourself later in the day. Sometimes the scale can be addictive. Try to do it in the morning after the bathroom.

I would enter all that food into ****** or another tracker and see how many calories you were eating. I was thinking the last few weeks that caloried didn't matter but I didn't lose. Yesterday, I kept my carbs under 15 and calories at 1800 and lost a pound and a half.
Hope that helps,
Denise
Old 07-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #143
Senior LCF Member

Cosmicstargoat-It must be a political issue if the science is so clearly pointing to sugar as being as toxic as cigarettes on the health.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:27 AM   #144
Junior LCF Member

Yesteday I ate 1,419 calories. Too many carbs yesterday though I had 27 according to that site. The carbs that I'm getting dinged on the most are eggs! The last time I did Atkins, eggs were the big thing. Everyone talked about eating loads and loads of eggs. I'm not even going crazy with them, just 2 in the morning. And then if I have that fake cake thing, there's one in that. But that right there is almost 5 carbs!

I'm thinking I might have to stop eating eggs altogether. What sucks about that is I finally found a breakfast that I like! The eggs, with cream cheese, sausage and a little shredded cheddar....it's perfect! I don't feel sick after eating it, it's filling and fulfilling.

I agree it was silly to weigh in after a day of eating. But even this morning, I'm still up a pound. Today I'm going to try to drink more water. Maybe that'll help.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #145
Senior LCF Member

Picked up ingredients at Walmart today for the one minute muffins and I plan to make when I have a minute. I know that was really corny joke - LOL

Menu:
B: coffee & cream, quiche (almost done - lol)
S: 3 pc Gouda Cheese
L: quiche
D: pork loin and salad

Last edited by sails92; 07-28-2012 at 10:07 AM..
Old 07-28-2012, 10:05 AM   #146
Junior LCF Member

I didn't mean to post a link to anything bad. Sorry about that! I do track my intake, that's all I was trying to say.

Anyway, the site tells me that I'm eating under the amount of calories I should intake to lose weight. And my carbs were 7 higher than they should have been. But I really don't understand the egg thing.

I'm really frustrated.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #147
Senior LCF Member

Dagny-Okay here is what I've read from others...I am still learning, too....

There might be a lot of sodium from some of the foods like pork rinds which can make you retain water. If so, drink tons of water. Are you going to the bathroom? Constipation can add weight. Splenda stalls some people. Cocoa powder can spike blood sugar. Caffeine stalls some people. Cheese and cream cheese are more stalling than eggs from what I have heard. I don't think two eggs has all that many carbs? I might try cutting down to 15 carbs ( a few less veggies?) to make sure you are under 20. And if all that doesn't work, maybe up your calories a little because 1400 might be telling your metabolism to slow down.

Just some ideas.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #148
Senior LCF Member

Great menu, Sails!!

Yesterdy for me (lost 1.6 lbs)
B one flax muffin with butter and cream cheese , decaf with cream
L one chicken breast
S one flax muffin with butter and cram cheese
D 9 oz ribeye and creamed spinach(w bacon bits)
Old 07-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #149
Senior LCF Member

WOW EXCELLENT information, thanks for posting. I've been snacking on pork rinds (plain), but will slow that down due to the salt content.

Quote:
Dagny-Okay here is what I've read from others...I am still learning, too....

There might be a lot of sodium from some of the foods like pork rinds which can make you retain water. If so, drink tons of water. Are you going to the bathroom? Constipation can add weight. Splenda stalls some people. Cocoa powder can spike blood sugar. Caffeine stalls some people. Cheese and cream cheese are more stalling than eggs from what I have heard. I don't think two eggs has all that many carbs? I might try cutting down to 15 carbs ( a few less veggies?) to make sure you are under 20. And if all that doesn't work, maybe up your calories a little because 1400 might be telling your metabolism to slow down.

Just some ideas.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #150
Senior LCF Member

Just out of curiosity, how do you make your cream spinach?

Quote:
Great menu, Sails!!

Yesterdy for me (lost 1.6 lbs)
B one flax muffin with butter and cream cheese , decaf with cream
L one chicken breast
S one flax muffin with butter and cram cheese
D 9 oz ribeye and creamed spinach(w bacon bits)
Closed Thread