Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #1381
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
wow.I thought hubby and I were bad for our 2 bags of chips(hubby) and whole packet of double chocolate biscuits washed down with wine(me) 'treat nights'.
I still don't know why we thought that was a 'treat' as every time ended with us saying ''I feel sick'' and ''never again''.

Now I'm Atkins and he is heading towards a paleo/gym lifestyle and both of us to some degree doing intermittent fasting I am baffled as to how we lived like that...

never again.
If nothing else I am getting to rather like a husband with a six pack

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #1382
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcd1070 View Post
Hi! I'm back from vacation.
Good for you. We had great weather while you were here as well. Hope you enjoyed your vacation.

I remember my first big outing after I was on the diet. It happened at about 40 days in. I went to Del Mar race track for the opening day of horse racing. It is a big to do for those that don't know, and I was with a group of business colleagues with a full catered lunch and lots of drinks. We took the train down with fancy boxed lunches provided. I brought my own food to make sure I had enough of the right kinds of foods to eat. I didn't end up needing it. Giving my big cookie away raised some eyebrows and not drinking raised a few questions.

Making it through that day gave me the confidence that I need at that time. I really relaxed after that and stopped worrying about food as much. Maybe your vacation will do the same for you, I sure hope it does.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #1383
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: squirrel watch
Stats: 5'6"~202/186/140~29yrs
WOE: Atkins <25g + JUDDD
Start Date: LoCarb:4-14-13/JUDDD: 5-13-13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
I was an insane person with regard to eating -- I was treating myself like those ducks that people stuff to make foie gras! I was rarely actually hungry when I ate, I was just eating massive amounts because it *felt* good. I have never met a person -- at any weight -- who ate/eats as much as I ate on a daily basis. I was so *mentally* out of control with food, I just had to completely let that stuff go. It sounds crazy -- it IS crazy -- but I had to learn what "hunger" was and then learn to "eat when I'm hungry." Everybody else learns this when they're, like, toddlers but something was wrong inside my head. Now I feel kind of like a drug addict, I count my "clean" months without a chalupa, or ice cream, or pizza. I seriously considered giving myself those chips, like they do at Alcoholics Anonymous.
ROFL! I you! I totally understand, and I couldn't have said it better. This is a mental battle on so many levels. It really is crazy. I now get the Athleta catalog in the mail. I want to reward my next milestone with cute workout clothes.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:59 AM   #1384
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwistars View Post
Are you on tank or mains?I miss tank.I grew up on it.
Sometimes did it taste like possum or pohutakawa leaves but otherwise bliss
It comes from the local river. it is perfectly drinkable, I am just fussy and want less fish vibes
Old 04-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #1385
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel watch View Post
I now get the Athleta catalog in the mail. I want to reward my next milestone with cute workout clothes.
We must have been separated at birth, because I had that exact same idea when I lost my first 20 pounds.

I had not yet gone down a clothing size, so I was still a size 16, but I bought 3 pairs of beautiful, slim-cut Under Armour workout pants in a size 12. They're the windbreaker type of temperature-adjusting pant that is tailored like chinos, with a low-rise waist. So cute! For some reason, 12 always seemed like a "normal" size to me and the pants looked really tiny to my size 16 eyes when I held them up in the store. So I spent almost $200 on those 3 pairs of pants and believed, for some inexplicable reason, that the pants were an "investment" and that, once I could fit into them, then I could wear them all the way to goal. I can't even wear those pants with a belt at this point! I tried rolling the cuffs up to wear them like loose, "boyfriend" style pants, but there's too much room in the waist and seat that makes strange, baggy gaps when they're belted.

The tops I've bought have been much more versatile and long lasting. I can still wear the "tiny" tops I bought that have gotten too large. I've even realized that the performance tank tops I bought are more comfortable when they're too large because they hang down really long and don't ride up when I walk or work out.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #1386
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
wow.I thought hubby and I were bad for our 2 bags of chips(hubby) and whole packet of double chocolate biscuits washed down with wine(me) 'treat nights'.
I still don't know why we thought that was a 'treat' as every time ended with us saying ''I feel sick'' and ''never again''.

Now I'm Atkins and he is heading towards a paleo/gym lifestyle and both of us to some degree doing intermittent fasting I am baffled as to how we lived like that...

never again.
If nothing else I am getting to rather like a husband with a six pack
How does the intermittent fasting work for you guys? Are you eating just one or two meals per day? Or are you doing the plan where you alternate calories from day to day? A lot of bodybuilders are getting into intermittent fasting now and the ones who are doing it say that it's super effective. The bodybuilding approach to intermittent fasting is typically to just eat one or two meals per day, during a 5 or 8 hour eating window.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #1387
Senior LCF Member

My husband picked it up as he always ate breakfast under sufferance and it just gave him permission not to bother.He loves it,doesn't miss it and it means he could reset the alarm 10 minutes later.He has a 12 noon to 8pm window for food.
He trains better if anything at the gym and has gone on 5 mile runs with no problem just before 'breaklunch'.
I just prefer coffee before 9 or 10am and after watching him I just stopped rushing.I'm not truly IF as I am only eating 2 or 3 hours later but it doesn't affect my weightloss so I'm happy.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #1388
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JustJessie
Stats: ?/163.5/135 (5'0"/39 yo)
Start Date: 01/27/2014
New here well I am back but only did it for a few days about 4 years ago... Help there is so much info where to start!
Old 04-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #1389
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJessie View Post
New here well I am back but only did it for a few days about 4 years ago... Help there is so much info where to start!
Welcome back to Atkins, Jessie!

If you have any questions, I'm sure we'll all do our best to try and find an answer for you.

My main advice would be to look through the induction foods list and build menus around the foods that you most enjoy eating. I have found it surprisingly *easy* to stick to the diet for the past 11 months because I genuinely enjoy what I'm eating. I haven't eaten food that I didn't like just to try and *lose weight* because I feel like that would have made me miserable and eventually caused me to quit the diet. So even though I'm only eating foods from the lists in the book I'm following, Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution, but I honestly think they're delicious and satisfying. And I genuinely haven't been hungry. I've been eating stuff like salmon, brie, pan-fried catfish, grilled steaks when the weather is nice, etc. Just eating stuff that I like that is on plan.

Good luck!
Old 04-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #1390
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
My husband picked it up as he always ate breakfast under sufferance and it just gave him permission not to bother.He loves it,doesn't miss it and it means he could reset the alarm 10 minutes later.He has a 12 noon to 8pm window for food.
He trains better if anything at the gym and has gone on 5 mile runs with no problem just before 'breaklunch'.
I just prefer coffee before 9 or 10am and after watching him I just stopped rushing.I'm not truly IF as I am only eating 2 or 3 hours later but it doesn't affect my weightloss so I'm happy.
For the past couple of months, my trainer has let me work out in the fasted state and it feels GREAT! I get a bigger *pump* in the fasted state. So I can totally relate to your husband's experience.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #1391
Major LCF Poster!

I don't want to dwell on my recent size change. But for some reason, I had great difficulty in believing I had really moved into a size 8. I've been using Levi's 515 bootcut jeans as the gauge for my size changes but the size 8 Levi's 515s, for some reason, struck me as not *really* a size 8. So I worked up the courage today to do two *scary* things: I went into the "juniors" department to buy jeans, and I bought "skinny" jeans. I think skinny jeans are super cute but I've avoided them like the plague because I felt like a "fat girl" like myself couldn't (shouldn't) wear "skinny jeans."

"Juniors" sizes are a bit different from "misses" sizes, they're measured by waist size like men's jeans. So I bought the equivalent to a misses size 8, which was a juniors size 29. To my astonishment, they fit perfectly! They are skin tight -- because that's what skinny jeans do -- but I didn't have to fight to get into them. I pulled them right up and fastened them with no problems. So I really, genuinely have moved down into the smaller size.

Here is my starting photo (235 pounds, size 16) compared to me currently wearing the size 8 skinny jeans:

I don't know *why* this size change seemed so weird to me, when the previous 3 size changes I've made on this diet seemed normal and natural. I was a size 6 when I started college and started gaining weight. Maybe I'm afraid of success. Maybe I didn't believe I could once again be the smaller size that I once was. I don't know. Right now, to be honest with you, I'm actually feeling more of a sense of disbelief than a sense of accomplishment.

It was nice, though, to be able to go into the juniors department! And my size was in the middle of the rack, not at the high end where they never seem to have any of the cute styles available. I bought the shiny, distressed, rocker girl jeans -- just because I could!
Old 04-25-2013, 07:25 PM   #1392
Senior LCF Member

YaY!! go you!

29" waist,sigh,my old size from skinny days.5 or 6 inches to go I think(I need to measure soon)
I have a pair of NZ14 skinnies in one of my drawers waiting.I bought them and got fatter the next week so i have never worn them.They are about a junior size 30 I guess?...

By the way, you _rock_ those jeans.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #1393
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JustJessie
Stats: ?/163.5/135 (5'0"/39 yo)
Start Date: 01/27/2014
Trillex You look great, congrats. I dont know when or what my exercise will be havent thought that far yet.
I just bought ketostix and figured in a few days I would be in ketosis...Is it possible that I am already cause i am measuring moderate after one day! I am excited if thats the case. Anyone have any remedies for the keto breath thingy???
Old 04-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #1394
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
FANTASTIC trillex! (wild applause)
Old 04-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #1395
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
trillex, you look amazing! Well done you. I get you will finding LC surprisingly easy. The odd time I am tempted to et off plan, I can usually find some totally decadent, yet entirely legal treat that surpasses the boring carbohydrate I 'thought' I wanted.

I just made 30" yesterday on my waist measurement
Old 04-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #1396
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmcd1070
Stats: pre-op 240/now 167/goal 130
WOE: Organic Low Carb
Start Date: WLS 2-8-11. Atkins (reboot) 4-7-14
Most of the people there had not seen me for a very long time so were surprised at how much weight I've lost already. I kept having to interject that I still had 40lbs to go. I don't think anyone paid one bit of attention to what I did or did not eat haha. It was really all in my head!
We didn't end up needing the bars but the sf drink mixes did come in handy at Disneyland because I have such trouble drinking plain water (wls issues).
WOW size 8!!! That is soooo tiny!! I haven't worn that size since high school! YAY YOU!!!
Hmmm, has anyone considered a clothing exchange on this site??
Yes, this vacation was exactly that Big Stevie. I feel a lot more secure in this woe. I hope to be a LOT closer to goal by Christmas, which is when we hope to be back in CA again.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:43 PM   #1397
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
29" waist,sigh,my old size from skinny days.5 or 6 inches to go I think(I need to measure soon)
My waist measurement was 38" when I started (hips 46") -- my HIPS are now the size my WAIST started at, which is a significantly better result than I *expected* when I started the diet. I mean, I set goals and whatever at the beginning, but in my mind I felt like it would be *impossible* to lose 100 pounds and/or to get back into a size 6. I now believe that it's not only possible, it's actually pretty simple. I just have to stick to the plan, being patient and persistent. Patience and persistence are *hard* but they bring incredible changes.

I went through my boxes earlier today and pulled out the clothes I wore when I was last a size 8. Wow! Either I was incredibly trampy or the early 2000s were a very trampy time in history.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #1398
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJessie View Post
Trillex You look great, congrats. I dont know when or what my exercise will be havent thought that far yet.
I just bought ketostix and figured in a few days I would be in ketosis...Is it possible that I am already cause i am measuring moderate after one day! I am excited if thats the case. Anyone have any remedies for the keto breath thingy???
I work out because I have a close friend who is doing me a favor by being my personal trainer. But I think the diet is the most important part. I don't think most people on the forum work out and most of them have made much better, faster progress than me. I love working out but, if you have to pick your battles, I don't think you can go wrong by focusing on your eating plan and making that work.

I can't really speak to the ketosis issue because the sticks never worked for me. I tried using them for months when I started but they just never changed colors, at all.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #1399
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeetle View Post
I just made 30" yesterday on my waist measurement
Congratulations on getting to 30", Beetle!
Old 04-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #1400
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcd1070 View Post
Most of the people there had not seen me for a very long time so were surprised at how much weight I've lost already. I kept having to interject that I still had 40lbs to go. I don't think anyone paid one bit of attention to what I did or did not eat haha. It was really all in my head!
We didn't end up needing the bars but the sf drink mixes did come in handy at Disneyland because I have such trouble drinking plain water (wls issues).
WOW size 8!!! That is soooo tiny!! I haven't worn that size since high school! YAY YOU!!!
Hmmm, has anyone considered a clothing exchange on this site??
Yes, this vacation was exactly that Big Stevie. I feel a lot more secure in this woe. I hope to be a LOT closer to goal by Christmas, which is when we hope to be back in CA again.
I'm glad your vacation went well! I knew it would. You're so focused, and you and your husband are so adorable, I didn't think you would have any problems staying on plan.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #1401
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyQueen View Post
FANTASTIC trillex! (wild applause)
DQ, you have made me believe a size 4 is *possible*! HaHa!
Old 04-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #1402
Senior LCF Member

Man, Trillex. I really think we are sisters. I just measured myself and am 38.5/47.
I started at 41/47 two weeks ago. I know the hips won't budge for a while, that's how I'm built. But I bet when I'm closer to my goal they will be around 37-38...almost guarantee.

I'm Puerto Rican. It comes with the package, I guess!

Last edited by squirrel watch; 04-26-2013 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 04-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #1403
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Man, Trillex. I really think we are sisters.
Ok, this is creepy. I have a Barca jersey!!!! And also a Libra. I was just looking at your progress pics and I saw the jersey and was like 'heeeelll no'

Which player's jersey is it? I have Xavi's.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:49 PM   #1404
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Man, Trillex. I really think we are sisters. I just measured myself and am 38.5/47.
I started at 41/47 two weeks ago. I know the hips won't budge for a while, that's how I'm built. But I bet when I'm closer to my goal they will be around 37-38...almost guarantee.

I'm Puerto Rican. It comes with the package, I guess!
MY MOTHER IS PUERTO RICAN!!! My family is from Aguadilla but my mom was born in Caguas, where my grandmother lives now. No wonder we have, like, everything in common!

We're jibaros so we've always made our own sofrito -- instead of the stuff in jars -- and it's naturally low-carb when it's homemade (it's basically just seasoned pork fat) so I still use sofrito as a seasoning in many dishes.

I expected my hips and thighs to be my main problem area because the women in my culture (two Caribbean parents) tend to get *hippy* after age 25 and stay that way. My brothers' wives are probably rockin about 15% bodyfat but they're still *hippy* -- which is a great thing in our community! If you look at my progress photos (and measurements), though, I've lost lower body size more consistently and significantly than anywhere else.

My upper arms have been my biggest problem area -- I went 7 months with zero size change on my upper arms. And although I've lost a lot of size on my waist, my torso seems to have, somehow, become disproportionately larger than the rest of my body. I'm hoping things will even out as I get closer to goal -- I really want cuerpo de guitarra! One of my cousins (from the Puerto Rican side of the family) bought me two "levels" of those Brazilian "fajas," which the women on the Puerto Rican side of my family SWEAR restored their guitarra after having babies. But I don't think they actually do any good. Honestly, no matter what shape I end up, I'll still be healthier and better off than I was when I started. So I'm ready for whatever the future will bring, even if I have a proportionally larger tummy.

I'm a huge football fan! My Barca jersey is from Thierry Henry's short-lived stint at Barca, number 14. I will always love Henry because of the 1998 World Cup (despite his horrific tenure at Barca). I also have a Fabregas Barca jersey that I bought in Barcelona in summer 2011. My dad is Haitian so we tend to favor the francophone footballers, having grown up watching football with my dad, so most of my jerseys were gifts from my brothers and they are the jerseys of francophone players. In our family, we all have matching jerseys -- including full replica kits of the French men's national team, with official coordinating base layers for cold weather (I wear Karim Benzema's number 9) -- it's kind of our *thing*.

I only have two Barca jerseys but I also adore Xavi -- he's brilliant and his hair is always perfect! And delicious David Villa (also perfect hair). And of course Andres Iniesta, el mago. And I consider Cesc to be my future husband (unless Kiwi can find me a Maori husband)! And of course I love the best footballer in the world, Lio Messi. They are just the perfect team (despite last week's unfortunate events in Germany).
Old 04-27-2013, 01:45 AM   #1405
Senior LCF Member

Check out the all blacks here trillex.
We hire a lot of both native maori and nearby fijians,tongans and samoans as rugby players.Average height 6'2",average body fat percentage 7%...
*fan myself*

wow.

Last edited by kiwistars; 04-27-2013 at 01:47 AM..
Old 04-27-2013, 02:37 AM   #1406
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
We hire a lot of both native maori and nearby fijians,tongans and samoans as rugby players.Average height 6'2",average body fat percentage 7%...
*fan myself*

wow.
I want some of that too, lol!
Old 04-27-2013, 08:14 AM   #1407
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
Cool Trillex, you continue to do awesome.

I want to share some of the opposite this week. As I told everyone, I had my first beer in 8 months last Saturday. I also had some cashews which are high carb and ate a few too many of them over a few days. (Can't have them in the house again, I obsess over them) I was running all week and never went shopping so my snacks were very limited and meals were bigger. I actually bought some Atkins bars and ate them even though I know they aren't good for me. I was also tired and drank more coffee than usual.

The result, I was really hungry all week long. I ate good food, except for the mentioned deviations, but I was obsessed with food and worried about what I would eat for the first time in many months. My blood sugar seemed to be out of whack. It was a very unsettling feeling.

Here I am over 80 pounds down and many months into the WOE and I thought I was immune to this stuff. I again have proven that I am not. I don't think I gained much weight, if any, but I don't like the feelings I had this week. I am shopping today and will cook tomorrow and be back to normal.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #1408
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I gave into beer in November 2011 and is slowly crept back in. Late winter I convinced myself that one of those large bottles of beer were no worse that a bottle or more of wine. Fact is, neither have a place in my diet. Do you think it was the beer that was the trigger?
Old 04-27-2013, 09:30 AM   #1409
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
I want to share some of the opposite this week. As I told everyone, I had my first beer in 8 months last Saturday. I also had some cashews which are high carb and ate a few too many of them over a few days. (Can't have them in the house again, I obsess over them) I was running all week and never went shopping so my snacks were very limited and meals were bigger. I actually bought some Atkins bars and ate them even though I know they aren't good for me. I was also tired and drank more coffee than usual.

The result, I was really hungry all week long. I ate good food, except for the mentioned deviations, but I was obsessed with food and worried about what I would eat for the first time in many months. My blood sugar seemed to be out of whack. It was a very unsettling feeling.

Here I am over 80 pounds down and many months into the WOE and I thought I was immune to this stuff. I again have proven that I am not. I don't think I gained much weight, if any, but I don't like the feelings I had this week. I am shopping today and will cook tomorrow and be back to normal.
Thank you so much for sharing this, Big Stevie!

Now that it's warming up outside and I'm *feeling* better, I have to remember that I can't be like everybody around me and just grab something fast on the way home. "Fast food" doesn't work for me and that's not going to change, no matter how much bodyfat I lose. I have to keep the attitude that has helped me make the progress I've made, if I want to maintain that progress.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #1410
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
*fan myself*

wow.
I hear you, Kiwi! I absolutely love the All Blacks (and your football team, the All Whites). They are such handsome men AND they also seem like very nice, down to earth guys. And, of course, the Haka is the most ultra-baller national pre-match prep on the planet!

A lot of the South Pacific athletes play rugby professionally in Britain, so I sometimes check out the rugby on the BBC when football isn't on. It's quite entertaining!
Closed Thread