Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #1321
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcd1070 View Post
It's amazing how much my taste buds have been changing. Everything tastes sweet to me now. Even meat. Onions. Peppers. All sweet.

I'm up to 60oz of water a day, which is a HUGE HUGE accomplishment for me but still not at goal. Baby steps...

I am no longer feeling defensive about my trip out of town. I feel like I can comfortably just say no thank you without feeling like I have to defend myself.
Yes, it is amazing how sweet things like onions are. Too bad most people in our society will never realize that. Great for you. You are getting it.

Up the water! It will help you lose, trust us on this one.

Good for you on you food planning for your trip. Don't feel like you need to justify your diet to anyone. I don't share my diet with anyone. If pressed, I tell them I am cutting out sugar and leave it at that. Atkins is a horrible word in many circles. I just avoid the discussion. Now since I have lost over 80 pounds, more people are asking. If they are truly interested, I will now explain it to them. But I have been at this for a long while now and am more confident and assured in my way of eating, and you will be also.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #1322
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LauraDavis
Stats: 245.8/190.6/145
Start Date: March 2013
I got a bit boastful.... cheated today had a Red Lobster biscuit. It wasn't as good as I remember. I think a lot of foods would be that way for me now. When I get hungry for something it seems to be a brief thing and today I gave in.... oh well... tomorrow is baking day for the week. I'm adding a bit of nut flours to my diet. Made some low carb gluten free wraps today, they are yummy and only like 1.5 carbs each.

Hope everyones day went well... gotta get ready for work.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #1323
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmcd1070
Stats: pre-op 240/now 167/goal 130
WOE: Organic Low Carb
Start Date: WLS 2-8-11. Atkins (reboot) 4-7-14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
Up the water! It will help you lose, trust us on this one.
I know you're right Big Stevie! I am working on it. I have never been a water drinker, so it has been a huge challenge. I'll get there soon. Thank you for your guidance!
Old 04-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #1324
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
I am no longer feeling defensive about my trip out of town. I feel like I can comfortably just say no thank you without feeling like I have to defend myself. I am going to take the advice given and bring my own food and not feel one bit guilty for not eating their food. =)
Awesome! You've come too far to let someone else derail your progress. You shouldn't feel guilty about doing what you have to do to be healthy.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #1325
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraDavis View Post
I got a bit boastful.... cheated today had a Red Lobster biscuit. It wasn't as good as I remember. I think a lot of foods would be that way for me now.
You're a better cook than any processed, food service stuff could possibly be. Those biscuits come as what? Some sort of mix of salt and food-like powders in a gigantic bag? The food you're cooking and eating every day must taste better than that stuff, even though the food you're cooking is low-carb. I'm not a health food nut, I'm just saying that the food that chain restaurants make is so fake that it all kind of tastes the same. Even fast food burgers taste like cardboard, in my opinion. I guess the patties are just meat but the meat is so super processed that it tastes like cardboard to me.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #1326
Senior LCF Member

I was off to a good start with a really clean diet of just meat, eggs, measured veggies and some cheese. THEN....

my husband bought 4 boxes of atkins bars, 8 atkins chocolate shakes, 4 bags of sugar free candies and 8 boxes of sf Kool-Aid\crystal light\etc. Ugh.

I am trying NOT to do artificial sweeteners, which was easier when they weren't around. Now I'm having to resist the temptation : \

He said it would be easier to stay on plan while we are traveling and easy to pack. We leave for a week in CA in 4 days.

His heart was in the right place at least.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:01 AM   #1327
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: straphe
Stats: 231/194.5/187
WOE: Atkins induction
Start Date: 15 January 2013
So having talked to my uncle (who's kind of a gym rat) and a couple of other close friends, I just don't know what to do with regards to staying on induction or going off plan. My uncle said that I'd be better off eating whatever I want during the day until 6 PM, and not eating after that, because that way I can transform the remaining fat to muscle faster than otherwise. It would be nice to have more choice when it comes to eating at work before going to the gym, but then again I feel like I'm still carrying around a lot of fat that won't go away if I go off induction.

I just don't know. I think I'll start climbing the carb ladder and introduce a couple of things, one at a time so I can see what effect it has on me, and follow my uncle's advice. I'll definitely monitor my weight closely, and if I'm not happy with it or if I start gaining a lot, I'm definitely going back to induction, but until then I feel like I gotta give it a chance.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #1328
Senior LCF Member

I didn't touch any of the fake-foods my DH bought yesterday but I did try a flax muffin because I didn't see that it was not allowed on induction. It was good. I ended the day with slightly less than 6 carbs for the day and I was UP 2lbs today. *sigh.

Why does it seem the lower carbs I eat, the worse I seem to do on weight loss? Should I up the carbs? Can you go TOO low carb?
Old 04-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #1329
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I was off to a good start with a really clean diet of just meat, eggs, measured veggies and some cheese. THEN....

my husband bought 4 boxes of atkins bars, 8 atkins chocolate shakes, 4 bags of sugar free candies and 8 boxes of sf Kool-Aidcrystal lightetc. Ugh.

I am trying NOT to do artificial sweeteners, which was easier when they weren't around. Now I'm having to resist the temptation :

He said it would be easier to stay on plan while we are traveling and easy to pack. We leave for a week in CA in 4 days.

I hear what you're saying and, to be honest, I don't eat that stuff. But I also haven't been in situations where I didn't have total control over my food options. So, it may be better to have those low-carb options and not need them, than to need a low-carb option and not have any. Just a thought...

Quote:
I didn't touch any of the fake-foods my DH bought yesterday but I did try a flax muffin because I didn't see that it was not allowed on induction. It was good. I ended the day with slightly less than 6 carbs for the day and I was UP 2lbs today. *sigh.

Why does it seem the lower carbs I eat, the worse I seem to do on weight loss? Should I up the carbs? Can you go TOO low carb?
When you see a 2-pound gain overnight, it isn't a *fat* gain of 2 pounds. That gain on the scale is reflecting something else that is going on in the body. So if you try to adjust your fat loss approach to address a gain that isn't actually fat, I'm not sure how effective that is for the long-term.

If you're really concerned about the scale, though, and the scale consistently goes up when you eat a very low level of daily carbs, then maybe it would be best to find the level of daily carbs that won't cause these fluctuations to happen. Sometimes you have to make dietary adjustments just to make your life more comfortable.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #1330
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by straphe View Post
So having talked to my uncle (who's kind of a gym rat) and a couple of other close friends, I just don't know what to do with regards to staying on induction or going off plan. My uncle said that I'd be better off eating whatever I want during the day until 6 PM, and not eating after that, because that way I can transform the remaining fat to muscle faster than otherwise. It would be nice to have more choice when it comes to eating at work before going to the gym, but then again I feel like I'm still carrying around a lot of fat that won't go away if I go off induction.

I just don't know. I think I'll start climbing the carb ladder and introduce a couple of things, one at a time so I can see what effect it has on me, and follow my uncle's advice. I'll definitely monitor my weight closely, and if I'm not happy with it or if I start gaining a lot, I'm definitely going back to induction, but until then I feel like I gotta give it a chance.
If you're serious about changing your body composition and are willing to do some work, then you may be better off looking up information on bodybuilding "CKD" (cyclical ketogenic diets) online. I've spent a lot of time talking with bodybuilders and I have supported many of them before competitions -- both of my brothers are competitive bodybuilders, two of my uncles are champion bodybuilders who currently train young competitors, most of my oldest, closest friends and several ex-boyfriends compete and/or train bodybuilders and/or have worked for collegiate or professional sports training programs -- so even though your uncle is a gym rat, that info about "converting fat to muscle" is a superstition that athletes haven't believed since the 1950s.

Putting on muscle usually means also adding bodyfat. But fat doesn't "convert" to muscle, they are separate body components. Bodybuilding consultant Lyle McDonald has a pretty comprehensive overview of "bulking" and "cutting" here:
General Philosophies of Muscle Mass Gain
General Philosophies of Muscle Mass Gain | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
If you want more dietary freedom, you might also look into the "IIFYM" (If It Fits Your Macros) movement. And rockstar Norwegian trainer, Borge Fagerli, has a couple of programs that are available for free online, and Fagerli believes muscle is achieved with a lot more dietary freedom, rather than serious restriction.

My point is, whatever you do should be based on some sort of plan that makes sense. And there are countless available plans that have actually been tested and evaluated by the bodybuilding community.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #1331
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
I hear what you're saying and, to be honest, I don't eat that stuff. But I also haven't been in situations where I didn't have total control over my food options. So, it may be better to have those low-carb options and not need them, than to need a low-carb option and not have any. Just a thought...
Thank you, voice of reason! I had not thought of it that way. It was a lot easier to control my diet years ago when I lived alone. I have to learn to compromise and keep my head in the game. But it's a very good point. It's working out really well for my DH, He's been plowing through them all morning so maybe they won't even be an issue for long =)

Quote:
When you see a 2-pound gain overnight, it isn't a *fat* gain of 2 pounds. That gain on the scale is reflecting something else that is going on in the body. So if you try to adjust your fat loss approach to address a gain that isn't actually fat, I'm not sure how effective that is for the long-term.

If you're really concerned about the scale, though, and the scale consistently goes up when you eat a very low level of daily carbs, then maybe it would be best to find the level of daily carbs that won't cause these fluctuations to happen. Sometimes you have to make dietary adjustments just to make your life more comfortable.
Of course, I know this and actually once I was done reacting emotionally to the scale I thought logically that couldn't have been fat and I need to give this a lot more time before reaching a decision. If the trend continues upward I will re-evaluate. I was really proud of how much progress I had made toward cleaning up my diet to clean induction so I was dismayed to see it didn't reflect on the scale. But I am the queen of instant gratification so I need to learn patience too. It took half a lifetime to get obese, it's going to take some time to find normal again.

I sort of see this the way an alcoholic sees sobriety. It's one day at a time. Every morning I make a conscious choice to live this WOE because I'm tired of my life being out of control and feeling terrible.

Right now this thread is my lifeline. I couldn't PAY for this kind of support and therapy, so thank you thank you!!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #1332
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mexxy1217
Stats: 206/161/140
Start Date: 2010
Quote:
I tried the pork rind "breading," Laura. I was happy with the texture. I put the fish into an egg bath before tossing the fish in the crumbs. Unfortunately, I got the "barbecue" flavor -- I was trying to do a Cajun-style catfish, but it had a funky flavor. I will buy the plain pork rinds next time.
Sounds interesting, I will have to try this ;-)
Old 04-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #1333
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

my husband bought 4 boxes of atkins bars, 8 atkins chocolate shakes, 4 bags of sugar free candies and 8 boxes of sf Kool-Aidcrystal lightetc. Ugh.

I am trying NOT to do artificial sweeteners, which was easier when they weren't around. Now I'm having to resist the temptation :

Hey give your husband a break. He was just looking out for you. Whenever I try to help my wife out, it usually ends up twisted like this. Pretty soon I just stop trying. I can assure you, you don't want that.

Now, avoid the stuff he bought you if you can. But as Trillex pointed out it is better than most of the stuff you will find in the gas station markets while you are on the road.

I happen to live in California, and I can assure you we have plenty of low carb foods here so you will be able to stay on plan. Finally, relax and have some fun on your trip. Don't stress to much about eating.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #1334
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
Hey give your husband a break. He was just looking out for you. Whenever I try to help my wife out, it usually ends up twisted like this. Pretty soon I just stop trying. I can assure you, you don't want that.

Now, avoid the stuff he bought you if you can. But as Trillex pointed out it is better than most of the stuff you will find in the gas station markets while you are on the road.

I happen to live in California, and I can assure you we have plenty of low carb foods here so you will be able to stay on plan. Finally, relax and have some fun on your trip. Don't stress to much about eating.
He is VERY sweet and I know he meant well, I would NEVER tell him what I tell you here. I told him it was very thoughtful and thanked him copiously. I know he really doesn't understand the concept of being "addicted" to sugar. To him, this is just a "diet".

But here, I can tell you frankly, that I did dread all that sugar alcohol lurking in my kitchen because I'm not that far into this WOE and being a recovering sugar addict, I'm terrified of getting myself hooked on this sugar instead of the old sugar. And being a WLS patient, my body doesn't tolerate these ones as well as I trained myself to tolerate real sugar. But I'm sure with time I could adjust, like I did with sugar.

My will is weak. Stronger than it was but I still don't trust myself. I have to make a conscious decision every single day, sometimes every single minute.

For a few days I've been trying to drink plain water and it was SO intensely painful on my surgically altered stomach, I was sick for HOURS. I have to find a way to get the fluids in, and increase them to my goal amount, in a way that still allows me to FUNCTION like a normal adult and without fake sugars. Right now I'm trying herbal teas, naturally decaf with no added sweetners over ice. It's a process but I'm making progress slowly.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #1335
Senior LCF Member

I hear you. The sugar alcohol in both the Atkins bars and drinks messes with my blood sugar. They end up making me really hungry after I eat them. So I try to just stay away. Most people don't have problems with them, but I guess I am just special.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #1336
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: thetherapist
Lisa

can we have miracle whip instead of mayo?
Old 04-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #1337
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: thetherapist
Lisa

What can we eat for snacks during induction...I need ideas!
Old 04-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #1338
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa.hall View Post
There are 2 Net Carbs per Tbsp in Miracle Whip, so not as low carb as mayo which has 0.0 per Tbsp (Best Foods, Regular)
Old 04-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #1339
Senior LCF Member

Does anyone have any insight into this please?

My husband ate 6 slices of a medium pizza, crust and all. He weighed just before eating and just after. He was up 4lbs after eating. It usually takes him 2 days to get back to his previous weight. Does anyone know why this happens?

I wish I understood what causes those weight fluctuations because I know they are not fat loss or gain. Water retention? But how so soon after eating?

When I introduced that flax seed muffin to my diet a couple of days ago, it made my weight go up 2lbs overnight. After a couple of days of my body dealing with flax seed meal, I'm back down to the weight I was before eating it. I don't get it?

(I really cant wait for April Challenge to be over so I can quit weighing myself daily. No more challenges for me!)
Old 04-15-2013, 04:50 PM   #1340
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Just a guess, and that would be salt increasing water retention.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:24 PM   #1341
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
That would be my guess too, water retention might be some of it. The scale is so fickle that the daily fluctuations are inevitable, but as long as there is a downward trend over the weeks and months, then you'll be ok. I know it's hard, but try not to let the daily fluctuations upset you.

Lisa, Miracle Whip isn't a great choice for induction, mayo is much better. There are some people that make their own version of Miracle Whip, so maybe you can find a recipe for that. Snacks for induction would be things like ~ Hard Boiled Eggs, Deviled Eggs, Cheese, Bacon, Pork Rinds. Those are the first things to come to mind, but I know you'll get lots of other ideas too!
Old 04-15-2013, 10:11 PM   #1342
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Miracle Whip has sugar and corn syrup in it, so it's probably not the best choice for Atkins dieters at any level.

Miracle Whip is really a salad dressing. So if you don't like mayo, maybe just use a salad dressing that you like, which doesn't contain sugar and starch. There are blue cheese dressings and ranch dressings that don't contain sugar or starch.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #1343
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cinglessofme
Stats: 265/250/150
WOE: High-Fat, Low-Carb
Quote:
•Pepperoni Chips (Nuke in microwave til crispthe on a papertowel to sop up the grease)
•Cheese Chips (Nuke your choice, about a TBSP, of cheese in the microwave until crisp. Some use American cheese slices)
•Fried Cheese: Slice Queso Asadero (or any Mexican frying cheese) & fry in a small amount of oil
Old 04-15-2013, 10:28 PM   #1344
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cinglessofme
Stats: 265/250/150
WOE: High-Fat, Low-Carb
LISA keep in mind all the snacks I suggested are high in sodium therefore eat in moderation. During periods of extended induction I eat 1/2 a 7oz. tub of Fage Total Greek Yogurt, the juice of two fresh lemon wedges, a couple drops of liquid sweetner and Organic Golden Flax Mill. The taste reminds me of a lemon cheesecake AND its filling.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:13 PM   #1345
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Does anyone have any insight into this please?

My husband ate 6 slices of a medium pizza, crust and all. He weighed just before eating and just after. He was up 4lbs after eating. It usually takes him 2 days to get back to his previous weight. Does anyone know why this happens?

I wish I understood what causes those weight fluctuations because I know they are not fat loss or gain. Water retention? But how so soon after eating?

When I introduced that flax seed muffin to my diet a couple of days ago, it made my weight go up 2lbs overnight. After a couple of days of my body dealing with flax seed meal, I'm back down to the weight I was before eating it. I don't get it?

(I really cant wait for April Challenge to be over so I can quit weighing myself daily. No more challenges for me!)
This is why it's so totally important to remember that the scale only tells *part* of your fat loss story. I lived for a year with an ex-boyfriend who was a competitive bodybuilder and his "post-contest" ritual meal was an extra-large meat lover's pizza with a couple of 2-liter bottles of Sprite (and sometimes 4 or 5 orders of supersize fries, or a box of Krispy Kremes, depending on his mood). For contests, he would diet down to the high 180s. After his crazy meal and Sprite, he would sometimes be over 200 pounds. After watching that, I lost all faith in scales -- because it was FREAKY!

His bodyfat would still be at a very low percentage, generally 5% or less, but his body would bloat up because he hadn't had sugars and processed food for several weeks. When he did "re-feeds" on his cutting diet, he used starches, so the fructose in the soda filled his liver and muscle glycogen stores with sugar and water until they were overflowing. And all of the salt and preservatives in the pizza meat also caused his body to retain a ton of water.

Some foods, especially processed foods, produce more waste in the digestive system and, until you excrete that waste, they can add a few extra pounds in the colon and whatever. Some foods draw in and hold a lot of water as they go through the digestive system, so they hold more water and are heavier in the digestive system until they pass. Fiber, for example, is an effective colon cleaner (in most people) because the fiber draws in a lot of water and washes the waste out like a sponge. Vegetables are really low in calories, relative to their weight and size, because their fiber holds a lot of water.

And some meals, especially if they have a lot of meat and/or cheese, can stay in the digestive system for a few days. The proteins in meat and cheese go through several different processing systems -- from the mouth all of the way out the other end -- because they are full of super-useful building blocks and the body pulls nutrient value out of them in several different ways. Cheese (and dairy in general) is also kind of a *weird* food that generates mucous in the human system and can add weight in strange ways until the mucous clears out.

Another thing that I didn't realize until I helped a buddy of mine prep for a bodybuilding contest, is that the body's serum level of sodium -- the amount of sodium that is circulating in the bloodstream -- is a key factor in regulating the volume of blood that the body keeps in circulation. Basically, the body has to keep the ratio of sodium to fluid at a certain level. When the amount of sodium rises past that level, the kidneys generally just filter out the excess and excrete the additional sodium through urination. *But* sometimes the body adjusts by increasing the blood volume, by increasing the fluid level, so that the sodium in the bloodstream is diluted to the correct ratio. So there are times when your body may actually be heavier because there is literally an extra liter or more of blood in circulation -- and blood is very heavy. Some bodybuilders take special (prescription) diuretic drugs that keep the regulating hormones from increasing the blood volume.

And aside from all of these factors, when you're on a low-carb diet, the level of water that the tissues hold can be very unpredictable. Normally, the liver and muscles of your body are stocked with "glycogen." Glycogen is a starchy substance that is easily released and converted to glucose, which helps keep the blood glucose level steady and is used by the muscles as quick energy whenever you walk up a flight of stairs, for example, or sprint across the street to beat a traffic light. A very low intake of dietary carbohydrates depletes the body's glycogen stores, which is what allows your body to go into "ketosis" and switch its systems over to use fat as its primary energy source on your low-carb diet.

Glycogen depletion, which is an important and necessary part of a low-carb diet, has a MASSIVE effect on the way body tissues store water. Each glycogen molecule is stored with about 3 water molecules when glycogen stores are full. When the body goes into ketosis on a low-carb diet, the glycogen AND the water are (mostly) absent from the muscles so the muscle tissue loses a major source of hydration. As the muscles naturally rebuild and repair themselves, they need water and, since the bulk of their stored water is gone, the muscle tissue pulls water into the tissues on an as-needed basis. So the water that is present in muscle tissue will rise and fall as the muscles need it, and the dieter has no control over this process and can't necessarily know when or where or why or which muscles are holding extra water. The body simply does what it needs to do for maintenance as it needs to do it -- which is a super good thing!

There's a whole array of different hormones that affect the body's fluid balance in different ways, and most of those hormones can be affected by what you eat and drink. This can affect scale numbers -- up or down -- but it isn't a *bad* thing. It isn't fat gain. It's just what the body does. Every living thing is kind of an amazing miracle that is so complex that even the most brilliant human mind couldn't build one or even consciously operate all of the complex mechanisms. Your body does billions of complicated things every day without your conscious mind knowing that most of them are happening. What you see on the scale is part of that miraculous mystery, which can be frustrating, but it benefits you because those processes keep you alive and functioning. When your muscles draw in extra water, for example, they do it to keep you strong.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:38 PM   #1346
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I would add pepperoni to Mother Goose's list. Also, a nice cup of tea hits the spot for me. I like to kick back with a hot cup of tea -- which I'm actually doing right now!

I'm not a big snacker, so I don't really have a ton of ideas about snacks. I ate, like, 5 or 6 small meals every day during my first 6 months on Atkins so I didn't snack because I felt like I was always only 5 minutes away from my next meal. And now that I've been on Atkins for 11 months, I'm only eating 2-3 meals per day but I'm just never hungry enough to actually snack. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like Atkins really kills the appetite and I think that effect has actually increased the longer I've been on the diet.

I haven't tried them, but people seem to be SUPER fond of "fat bombs." They're basically pure fat and I've heard they totally fill you up. There's a recent thread in the Atkins Induction section with some induction-friendly fat bomb recipes.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:11 AM   #1347
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: niklivers
Stats: 224/205/168
Start Date: 25th March 2013
Thanks Trillex

Hi,

Thank you for the reply and information.
I am not a big fan of meat or mayo so dont think it was that.
It seems to have sorted it self out now, thankfully.
xx
Old 04-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #1348
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Trillex, I knew you would give us a very detailed explanation of what is happening with the crazy scale changes =) I figured it might have something to do with water retention but did not consider changes in blood volume!

Overall, there is a slow, downward trend on my weight so that's good enough. Right now my main focus is staying clean from sugar. 23 days clean today.

Artificial sweeteners are now my battle. Not from shakes or bars or candies but from drinks. I found an herbal tea naturally decaf that makes a great unsweetened iced tea but I have to make it. When I'm on the go it's so much easier to grab a crystal light packet or something to get he water down. I had hoped to be doing better on that but I will be patient with myself. All things in due time...
Old 04-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #1349
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by niklivers View Post
Hi,

Thank you for the reply and information.
I am not a big fan of meat or mayo so dont think it was that.
It seems to have sorted it self out now, thankfully.
xx
HaHa! Sorry, I was no help at all! I'm just glad it's sorted.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #1350
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thank you Trillex, I knew you would give us a very detailed explanation of what is happening with the crazy scale changes =) I figured it might have something to do with water retention but did not consider changes in blood volume!

Overall, there is a slow, downward trend on my weight so that's good enough. Right now my main focus is staying clean from sugar. 23 days clean today.

Artificial sweeteners are now my battle. Not from shakes or bars or candies but from drinks. I found an herbal tea naturally decaf that makes a great unsweetened iced tea but I have to make it. When I'm on the go it's so much easier to grab a crystal light packet or something to get he water down. I had hoped to be doing better on that but I will be patient with myself. All things in due time...
To be fair, it probably isn't actually a change in blood volume in your case. The kidneys ordinarily just excrete excess sodium. I just wanted to mention it because I think this is one of those weird, cool regulating things that the body does without our even being aware of it. I think bodybuilders are more prone to have these irregularities in blood volume because their body mass changes so dramatically over such a short period of time, and the body has to re-calibrate the blood volume to appropriately serve the existing body mass. Losing a lot of fat changes A LOT of systems.

This might sound kind of obnoxious but I have an honest, serious question: You went from *real* sugar to artificial sweeteners, how can you stand the taste of the artificial sweeteners? I use artificial sweeteners on Sundays and I bought some of the Crystal Light liquid bottles a few weeks ago, to try something new on Sundays. OMG, they were just FOUL! I was never a *big* sweets eater but, when I ate sweets, I ate real sugar. I can enjoy xylitol and liquid splenda in dessert-type things, to a certain extent, like a cheesecake or creme brulee where there's very little sweetness and a lot of richness. But just drinking fake sugar in a beverage just tastes too horrible. I can stomach a bit in strong tea with cream, but I wouldn't say that I enjoy it. Is it just me? I've had co-workers who swear they can't tell the difference between splenda and real sugar in coffee, and I always thought that was because they were just so accustomed to drinking diet sodas that they'd reconditioned their tastes. But you went from using real sugar to artificial sweeteners, do you just *endure* the fake taste or do you really *like* the artificial sweeteners?

I'm honestly just curious! I've read a lot of people on the forum say that the only way they can force water down is by putting Crystal Light and stuff in it. I don't find water *delicious*, but I feel like the artificial sweeteners make water taste worse. I think I'm just weird, but I've never actually asked anyone who gave up *real* sugar what they think.
Closed Thread