Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 12:34 AM   #1291
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinglessofme View Post
My problem occurs when I start to lose weight, I reward myself with a carby meal. I now know, well I've always known, I am incapable of getting back on plan with the next meal; like I said in a previous post its an all out month or year long binge. However, I tried to convince myself, the last 10 years, that I could get back on plan the next meal. Occasionally, I did but that was few and far between. I guess I could not admit to it because that would mean acknowledging how out of control I am when it comes to food. It means admitting my carb cravings are the boss of me; frankly, that's very scary because I always need to be in control. Hummm, can't believe I just put that in writing.
The *reward* thing can be tricky. As tasty as food is, off-plan food is actually more of a punishment than a gift because it comes with horrible consequences. I was a major overeater before I started the diet and I'm not sure if I've actually *beaten* the habit of overeating or if I've just temporarily gotten away from it. Only time will tell! I hope I'm better than I was, though, because I don't want to go back to having back pain and terrible stamina.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2013, 12:42 AM   #1292
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexxy1217 View Post
Today is day 1 im still very confused, I hope I'm doing this right!
B-2 scrambled eggs, 3 slices of Turkey bacon and 5 cucumbers
L- I want really hungry but I forced myself to eat something- 10 cucumbers, 3 celery sticks and 1 slice of salami.
D-buffalo balls (low carb recipe found on pinterest) and celery sticks.
S- sugar free more jello strawberry
water-45 oz.
I went to zumba class and burned some calories! PLEASE ANY OF YOU SEASONED PALS DOES THIS LOOK OK? WHAT AM I MISSING? JUST LOOKING FOR GUIDANCE! THANKS.
Do you know what the carb count is? It seems, to me, like kind of a lot of cucumbers. From my tracking, I've noticed that cucumbers don't have a lot of fiber so their carb count ends up being higher than many other veggies. I know that a lot of people don't have problems when they go over their carb count with vegetables, but it might be good to get into the habit of logging your daily carb count and becoming accustomed to eating at the induction level of 20g daily carbs, for at least the first two weeks.

Honestly, though, as long as you're satisfied with what you're eating and your carb count is low, just take a look at your weight at the end of the week and you'll know if your menus are helping you make progress.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:46 AM   #1293
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
what did you crumb the buffalo balls in?if you used pork rinds or similar,good but panko crumbs,breadcrumbs etc are pure carb.just a thought.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:44 AM   #1294
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetShelly
Stats: 170/164/140
Start Date: April 2013
I think I also have a bad habit of "rewarding" or treating myself after a good day with a higher carb treat.. The only good thing is I think I found what causes me me stall. My evening treat has been what I thought was an atkins friendly pancake: egg, cream cheese and peanut butter but now I realize the cream cheese and peanut butter is stalling me. I had a five day stall until one night I skipped the pancake and lost a pound (yay!) and then last night I had a pancake again was up a pound this morning (boo)
Old 04-09-2013, 08:00 AM   #1295
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Nut butters and nuts are tricky. Peanuts can pack quite a few carbs, so measure and count.
They taste so good too. I have difficulty not eating too many/much if I have in the house. You might go with cream cheese or p-butter, but not both.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:11 AM   #1296
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmcd1070
Stats: pre-op 240/now 167/goal 130
WOE: Organic Low Carb
Start Date: WLS 2-8-11. Atkins (reboot) 4-7-14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
I'm too concerned with burning fat to be distracted by water.
Thank you Trillex. I'm going to put that on a Post-It note on my scale! You're very right, it is the fat loss that really matters. (but I do think I need to reign in the sodium a bit, I don't like feeling water logged either) =)
Old 04-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #1297
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcd1070 View Post
Thank you Trillex. I'm going to put that on a Post-It note on my scale! You're very right, it is the fat loss that really matters. (but I do think I need to reign in the sodium a bit, I don't like feeling water logged either) =)
That's a good point. I mean, your ring became tight and that sounds quite uncomfortable.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #1298
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dinalyn
Stats: 5"2- goal met -86 pounds gone
Quote:
Don't give up, Dinalyn!

Were you eating low-carb before you started Atkins? Not everybody drops a lot of scale weight at the beginning, when they lose their glycogen stores -- I didn't seem to have a big scale drop at the beginning, although I only weigh once per month so I don't really know what happened in the first few days. But most people do see the scale drop at the beginning, so I'm just wondering if you'd already depleted your glycogen stores before you started.
I really dont know what that is,lol can you explain and is there anything i can do?
Did the whole HCG thing with all the phases,and watched the carbs//fat/protein levels in fitpal. stayed very stable with carbs anywhere from 25 to 45,so it mite be as you say.and it wasnt much of a drastic drop as some just starting. but thats ok im not giving up.im jsut happy to be down as low as i am and eating healthy.

Last edited by Dinalyn; 04-09-2013 at 03:29 PM..
Old 04-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #1299
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetShelly View Post
I think I also have a bad habit of "rewarding" or treating myself after a good day with a higher carb treat.. The only good thing is I think I found what causes me me stall. My evening treat has been what I thought was an atkins friendly pancake: egg, cream cheese and peanut butter but now I realize the cream cheese and peanut butter is stalling me. I had a five day stall until one night I skipped the pancake and lost a pound (yay!) and then last night I had a pancake again was up a pound this morning (boo)
This is really the key to being successful on this eating plan. You need to observe and pay attention. If you do, you can eliminate the things that cause you to gain or stall and add in other things that don't. You must customize it for yourself. Everyone is a little different.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #1300
Senior LCF Member

I have seen several people talk about rewards over the past few pages. You really need to learn foods aren't rewards. You have a new way of eating and you should stick to it. Don't "reward" yourself by eating the wrong foods. Reward yourself with something else that won't hurt you. How about some smaller clothes, a pedicure, a date, a movie....... Break that cycle.

Last edited by Big Stevie; 04-09-2013 at 05:22 PM..
Old 04-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #1301
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mexxy1217
Stats: 206/161/140
Start Date: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
I have seen several people talk about rewards over the past few pages. You really need to learn foods aren't rewards. You have a new way of eating and you should stick to it. Don't "reward" yourself by eating the wrong foods. Reward yourself with something else that won't hurt you. How about some smaller clothes, a pedicure, a date, a movie....... Break that cycle.
Great thought process Steve!
Old 04-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #1302
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinalyn View Post
I really dont know what that is,lol can you explain and is there anything i can do?
Did the whole HCG thing with all the phases,and watched the carbs//fat/protein levels in fitpal. stayed very stable with carbs anywhere from 25 to 45,so it mite be as you say.and it wasnt much of a drastic drop as some just starting. but thats ok im not giving up.im jsut happy to be down as low as i am and eating healthy.
I think that may explain why you didn't have the *typical* initial scale drop, you were already eating a very low level of carbohydrates.

When people start a very low-carb diet after eating a standard, western diet that contains hundreds of grams of carbs per day, their body releases the "glycogen" and water that is stored in muscle tissue and in the liver. Glycogen is a starchy compound that is easily converted to glucose, so the body stores glycogen in muscle tissue and in the liver to provide quick energy and to maintain blood glucose levels when the dietary intake of carbohydrates is low.

At the start of a very low-carb diet, the body releases glycogen to fuel the system until the metabolic processes in the body re-adjust to start using fat as the body's primary fuel. Each glycogen molecule is stored with 4 water molecules, so the body releases a significant amount of water when the glycogen is released. Part of the large scale drops that people typically see at the start of a low-carb diet comes from the depletion of their stores of glycogen and water.

Having eaten a very low level of dietary carbohydrates before starting Atkins means that you had no glycogen stores to deplete, which could explain why you didn't immediately have a large scale drop. You may have to be a bit more patient than most new Atkins dieters, but the scale will eventually cooperate!
Old 04-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #1303
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I totally cosign this!

I have to regularly remind myself that the momentary, sensual pleasure of food will not make me happy. Indulging myself in that pleasure, without reasonable restrictions, made me sick and constantly exhausted. Food is delicious but there are way more enjoyable things in life that won't eventually lead to obesity-related chronic diseases. For me, thirty minutes of indulging in a pint of ice cream comes with the lasting expense of ill health.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #1304
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/129.6/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Thank you! I needed to hear this tonight!
Old 04-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #1305
Senior LCF Member

Thank you.you explained that very well.and i agree

Quote:
I think that may explain why you didn't have the *typical* initial scale drop, you were already eating a very low level of carbohydrates.

When people start a very low-carb diet after eating a standard, western diet that contains hundreds of grams of carbs per day, their body releases the "glycogen" and water that is stored in muscle tissue and in the liver. Glycogen is a starchy compound that is easily converted to glucose, so the body stores glycogen in muscle tissue and in the liver to provide quick energy and to maintain blood glucose levels when the dietary intake of carbohydrates is low.

At the start of a very low-carb diet, the body releases glycogen to fuel the system until the metabolic processes in the body re-adjust to start using fat as the body's primary fuel. Each glycogen molecule is stored with 4 water molecules, so the body releases a significant amount of water when the glycogen is released. Part of the large scale drops that people typically see at the start of a low-carb diet comes from the depletion of their stores of glycogen and water.

Having eaten a very low level of dietary carbohydrates before starting Atkins means that you had no glycogen stores to deplete, which could explain why you didn't immediately have a large scale drop. You may have to be a bit more patient than most new Atkins dieters, but the scale will eventually cooperate!
Old 04-11-2013, 12:01 AM   #1306
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LauraDavis
Stats: 245.8/190.6/145
Start Date: March 2013
Nuts aren't even part of the induction phase are they? At least not from what I read as acceptable foods. That's my cheat eating almond meal flour in a cheesecake. So far my cheats have still been on plan foods just more than I should have or needed to eat. Maybe I'm wierd.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:49 AM   #1307
Senior LCF Member

on my way to goal

Day 9 Day 9 and i am starting to see some movement on the scale.
Started at 146 and today is 144.5. walking 3 miles,and low carb just mite see me to my goal of hcg/atkins style eating to lose to goal. I say that because i have not lowered my calories intake that i worked so hard to reset to in p3/p4.I am at 1800 ,and i want to keep it that way. all im doing to get to goal is eating a lower amount of carbs following atkins, so im a mix.

Last edited by Dinalyn; 04-11-2013 at 06:52 AM..
Old 04-11-2013, 07:18 AM   #1308
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetShelly
Stats: 170/164/140
Start Date: April 2013
Excellent points by Trillex and Big Steve. It took me a couple weeks of dieting to break my silly food as a reward mentality but now I'm back to a study weight loss which is the ultimate reward. I do feel real silly for having a weeklong stall due to a pancake I wasn't even hungry for but life long habits are hard to break. Now I just have an egg omellet on butter which I expected to find gross for some reason, eating just plain eggs, but I actually like it a lot.

The whole nut thing is confusing! It seems as if it varies by book edition whether its acceptable on induction or not. I have 12 plain organic almonds an evening and they don't seem to do any harm.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #1309
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraDavis View Post
Nuts aren't even part of the induction phase are they? At least not from what I read as acceptable foods. That's my cheat eating almond meal flour in a cheesecake. So far my cheats have still been on plan foods just more than I should have or needed to eat. Maybe I'm wierd.
I don't think it's weird! I've been treating Sundays as sort of an on-plan "cheat" day since my second month. I allow myself to have nuts, heavy cream, and artificial sweetener on Sundays. It *feels* like I'm totally living it up, but I'm still eating Atkins-friendly foods and staying under 20g carbs -- although I've gone up to 25g carbs per day since the beginning of March. I also ate nuts, heavy cream, and artificial sweetener for Thanksgiving and the week between Christmas Eve and New Year's Day. I don't eat those things every day so it feels really special when I do eat them.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #1310
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinalyn View Post
Day 9 Day 9 and i am starting to see some movement on the scale.
Started at 146 and today is 144.5. walking 3 miles,and low carb just mite see me to my goal of hcg/atkins style eating to lose to goal. I say that because i have not lowered my calories intake that i worked so hard to reset to in p3/p4.I am at 1800 ,and i want to keep it that way. all im doing to get to goal is eating a lower amount of carbs following atkins, so im a mix.
You are totally in the mix! And I'll bet you're going to be so much better off from keeping your calories high because you won't have to suffer or gain weight when you get to maintenance -- you're actually already very close to maintenance. Way to go!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #1311
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
The whole nut thing is confusing! It seems as if it varies by book edition whether its acceptable on induction or not. I have 12 plain organic almonds an evening and they don't seem to do any harm.
It is confusing! I sometimes see people list an Atkins rule on the forum and I'm, like, that is totally not in the book I read. Apparently, the New Atkins says to get 12-15g of your daily induction carbs from veggies. I've read DANDR back to front many times over the past 11 months and that instruction is definitely not in the book.

All of the different plans seem to work, so it seems to me that just sticking with any of the plans will produce results. Plus, there are plenty of people who don't really follow the rules -- they'll eat nuts and fruit and yogurt and whatever -- but still do really well and lose a lot of weight. One of my former co-workers was a really heavy guy and he, basically, just gave up white bread and beer and lost over 40 pounds. He lost his double chin, everything, and looked like a different guy. It seems to me that each individual just has to find what works best for them.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #1312
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Excellent points by Trillex and Big Steve. It took me a couple weeks of dieting to break my silly food as a reward mentality but now I'm back to a study weight loss which is the ultimate reward. I do feel real silly for having a weeklong stall due to a pancake I wasn't even hungry for but life long habits are hard to break.
Trust me I am no saint. Just learning the lessons the hard way. I had lost on Atkins before followed by a cruise when I was at goal. I said I would reward myself since I had lost so much weight. Well that started the slide in the wrong direction. I stayed off plan for several years. I am glad to be back and I know the results of not low carb eating aren't good for me. Being fat, having a foggy brain, not sleeping well, high blood pressure, hypoglycemia, pre-diabetic. I gave myself some great reward.

I have now found other ways to reward myself. And the truth is, the longer I am away from high carb and sugar foods, the less I miss them. They don't even entice me any more. I really don't feel like I am missing anything. I feel like I have gained soooo much that I don't want to do anything to mess it up.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:40 PM   #1313
Major LCF Poster!

Thursday was my 11th month on Atkins -- bless dear Dr Atkins because that man was a freakin' genius! He developed a diet that even a spoiled brat like me could stick to!

Yesterday, I was able to SQUEEEEZE into size 8 Levi's 515 jeans. It wasn't pretty, you guys, but I was able to pull them all of the way up and zip and button them. I was a size 16 Levi's 515 jeans when I started Atkins. And I was a size 6 Levi's 515 jeans when I started gaining weight in college. So, I'm really happy with my progress! My goal is to lose another 25 pounds and, looking at myself right now, I think that will be about right for my frame.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:16 PM   #1314
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Rebecca1979
Stats: 286/239/199 (for now!)
WOE: 2208/442 (11/5/13)
Start Date: October 19, 2013
SPeaking of Peanut Butter! When can I added it back in to my diet?? Do I avoid it the whole time on induction or just first two weeks?
Old 04-12-2013, 06:59 AM   #1315
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: niklivers
Stats: 224/205/168
Start Date: 25th March 2013
Help

Hi,
I am just finishing my 3rd week of induction and am suffering with an upset tummy about 30 minutes after eating!!!!!
Has anyone else had this??
I did not get constipated, as many do, when i started.
Thanks
Old 04-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #1316
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Being fat, having a foggy brain, not sleeping well, high blood pressure, hypoglycemia, pre-diabetic. I gave myself some great reward.
I can relate so strongly to this! I had a slightly different set of health issues but they all came from food. But when I would sit down at night after a long day of dealing with my students' needs and my colleagues and all of the other stress, I felt like eating an entire pizza was a way of "taking care of myself." But that makes no sense at all because I knew that what I was eating was slowly poisoning me and leading me into the chronic diseases of obesity. I consider myself a rational person so I don't understand why it took me so long to decide that eating to support my health is a better way of "taking care of myself."
Old 04-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #1317
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
congrats Trillex on the PANTS!!!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #1318
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca1979 View Post
SPeaking of Peanut Butter! When can I added it back in to my diet?? Do I avoid it the whole time on induction or just first two weeks?
The way I understand it, the first two weeks of induction are designed as sort of a "reset" to get you into ketosis and to change your body chemistry from primarily burning glucose to primarily burning fat as fuel. So limiting yourself to the induction list for two weeks and limiting your carb intake to 20g per day is the most certain way to ensure that your body will make the necessary metabolic changes. Then, the ongoing weight loss ladder introduces foods back in a way that allows you to "test" different food categories and find out which carb groups negatively affect your body and which carb groups your body can handle without problems. According to the ongoing weight loss ladder in DANDR, nuts and seeds are the third rung, after adding more veggies on the first rung and then more cheeses on the second rung.

I think a lot of people start by adding nuts back, though, skipping the first two rungs. Which makes sense to me because you're already eating the foods on the first two rungs during induction so you kind of already know how your body handles those foods. In my opinion, you're probably better off spending the first two weeks on the basic induction foods -- just to get your body chemistry together -- but then it's up to you to decide whether or not you're ready to try adding peanut butter back. If you're tracking your food intake, it should be pretty easy to start with a limited amount.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #1319
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyQueen View Post
congrats Trillex on the PANTS!!!
Thanks, DQ!
Old 04-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #1320
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by niklivers View Post
Hi,
I am just finishing my 3rd week of induction and am suffering with an upset tummy about 30 minutes after eating!!!!!
Has anyone else had this??
I did not get constipated, as many do, when i started.
Thanks
I don't know if this applies to you but, during my first couple of months, I had some stomach issues wherein I felt *greasy-queasy* by the end of the day. I didn't feel sick or nauseous, exactly, but my stomach felt uncomfortably like a big bag of grease and I felt kinda queasy by the time I went to bed. I assumed that this feeling was just a natural result of my Atkins induction diet being 65-75% fat at that time. It turns out, though, that all of the mayonnaise I was eating was making me feel queasy. When I cut back on mayo, I stopped having that queasy feeling.

I cut back on mayo after I read about a study in The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance in which long-distance cyclists were sequestered and put on a very low carb (~1%) / very high fat (~80%) diet (with a stable protein level that equalled 1.5g / kg of lean body mass) and this study found that ALL (not just some) of the study participants had queasiness or a general feeling of stomach discomfort when the majority of their fat calories came from foods that contained a substantial percentage of polyunsaturated fats (like soybean oil, corn oil, peanut oil). When they removed the foods that had a high concentration of polyunsaturated oils (like soybean oil based mayonnaise) the study participants stopped having this uncomfortable feeling, which the book describes as "they just said that they didn't feel completely well after eating them."

The nutritionists initially switched the brand of mayonnaise and oil products they were using, but the study participants still had this queasy feeling. So the program directors completely removed the foods that had high ratios of polyunsaturated fats and replaced them with foods high in saturated fat (like butter) and/or monounsaturated fat (like olive oil), after which the participants stopped having this feeling of stomach discomfort.

This may not apply to you! But if you're eating as much mayo as I was, that may be causing you some digestive problems.

Or it could be a food allergy or a bad reaction to some new food that you're eating. Are you eating any foods now that you didn't eat before the diet? If you introduced coconut oil into your diet, for example, many people initially have bad digestive reactions to coconut oil. My family is Caribbean so we use a lot of coconut oil and some non-Caribbean spouses initially had bad stomach episodes when they married into the family and started eating a lot of coconut oil with us. Their bodies eventually get accustomed to it, but I've heard horror stories about bad digestive reactions to coconut oil from my cousin's husband!

Or if you're eating a lot more meat than you ate before the diet, your body may simply need additional time to up-regulate enzyme production of protease to manage your increased protein intake. Meat takes a longer time to digest -- as opposed to egg protein, for example, which digests quite quickly -- and the time it takes to digest could make your tummy feel a bit uncomfortable. If you're eating a lot more meat than on your previous diet, you might try splitting your meat portions across several smaller meals instead of eating a lot of meat at a single time in fewer, larger meals.
Closed Thread