Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #1261
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmcd1070
Stats: pre-op 240/now 167/goal 130
WOE: Organic Low Carb
Start Date: WLS 2-8-11. Atkins (reboot) 4-7-14
Thank you for all the supportive words of encouragement! I'm feeling a lot stronger about standing my ground. I'm down 5lbs so far on day 13 of induction and feeling great!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #1262
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cinglessofme
Stats: 265/250/150
WOE: High-Fat, Low-Carb
Hi I'd like to join you ladies and gents. I am 240 lbs today and want to get to at least 150, I will reassess my goal when I left get to 150. For now, a 90 lbs loss, regaining self-esteem and getting off my HBP meds are my immediate goal. I lost 40 lbs in 3 months many, many moons ago on Atkins subsequent tries have resulted in complete and utter failure and weight gain. What I learned from ALL those tries is this, I have to do things by the book without any deviation because one bite sends me on a slipper lope of month and year long Carb binged. It ain't pretty folks. I look forward to getting to know you all.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #1263
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LauraDavis
Stats: 245.8/190.6/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2013
cinglessofme - glad you joined us.

Making an enchilada bake for dinner... it's smells wonderful.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #1264
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinglessofme View Post
Hi I'd like to join you ladies and gents. I am 240 lbs today and want to get to at least 150, I will reassess my goal when I left get to 150. For now, a 90 lbs loss, regaining self-esteem and getting off my HBP meds are my immediate goal. I lost 40 lbs in 3 months many, many moons ago on Atkins subsequent tries have resulted in complete and utter failure and weight gain. What I learned from ALL those tries is this, I have to do things by the book without any deviation because one bite sends me on a slipper lope of month and year long Carb binged. It ain't pretty folks. I look forward to getting to know you all.
You can do this. I had the same sort of story as you. The sooner you realize that you can't do carbs, the quicker you will lose. Don't fight it just give in. Don't think about the things you can't have, and focus on the great stuff you can have and how much better you are going to feel. I am approaching the 90 pound mark. I started at the end of July. I am about ready to go off my blood pressure medicine. Congratulations on the start. This is the right time for you. Stick with us, and you will stick with the program.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:01 AM   #1265
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wistyluv
Start Date: August 07
Hello Everyone!

Welcome to all the new people I've kinda turtled up since the death of my sister but still have been reading the posts. I'm trying to stay on induction and have lost 11 pounds in the last 2 weeks. Its really something to look forward to... Reading all the support that is here for all of us is very heartning.

Hugs to everyone. I hope all of you are having a great day.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #1266
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: niklivers
Stats: 224/205/168
Start Date: 25th March 2013
Hi Big Stevie.
Thanks for the help and information.
I was reading an article on the Uk Atkins website from some on the Atkins team who said they recommend you do start upping your carb after 2 weeks.
Firstly to give you a bit more choice and therefore keep you on the plan but most importantly to learn how to control you carb intake to your personal limit but it also means you can lowet that limit when you do reach a plateau.
She was saying that if you stay at 20g there is no way of going lower when you hit that plateau.
I would love to hear from others on this.
As much as i love the idea of losing quickly i want to make this a permanent lifestyle change and do not want to get bored.
I am not a big meat eater and have survived on chicken, tinned tuna and bacon so far.
What if i add in some strawberries or raspberries but still stick to just 20g?????
xx
Old 04-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #1267
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mexxy1217
Stats: 206/161/140
Start Date: 2010
Hi y'all

This information is amazing...I'm soaking it in like a sponge! I was very confused about what to eat until I get the hang of this. Keep it coming ladies, I have alot to learn. 206/161/140
Old 04-08-2013, 12:30 AM   #1268
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Welcome back to Atkins!

I've stuck quite closely to the instructions in the book, Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution. And I kind of feel like sticking to the book has made it easier for me to stick to the plan. I think that if I had used the book as "guidelines" and gone more with what I wanted to eat, rather than what the book says I'm supposed to eat, even with "watching my carb intake" it would have been easy for me, given my personality, to stray off plan and eat things that wouldn't have helped my health or fat loss goals.

A lot of people stray from the plan for various reasons but, in my opinion, the diet works really well and just sticking with it eventually pays huge dividends.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:32 AM   #1269
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistyluv View Post
Hello Everyone!

Welcome to all the new people I've kinda turtled up since the death of my sister but still have been reading the posts. I'm trying to stay on induction and have lost 11 pounds in the last 2 weeks. Its really something to look forward to... Reading all the support that is here for all of us is very heartning.

My condolences on the loss of your sister! I'm so sorry for you and your family. HUGS!
Old 04-08-2013, 12:32 AM   #1270
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcd1070 View Post
Thank you for all the supportive words of encouragement! I'm feeling a lot stronger about standing my ground. I'm down 5lbs so far on day 13 of induction and feeling great!
You are doing SO well! Congratulations!
Old 04-08-2013, 12:35 AM   #1271
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraDavis View Post
I tried the pork rind "breading," Laura. I was happy with the texture. I put the fish into an egg bath before tossing the fish in the crumbs. Unfortunately, I got the "barbecue" flavor -- I was trying to do a Cajun-style catfish, but it had a funky flavor. I will buy the plain pork rinds next time.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:38 AM   #1272
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by straphe View Post
I've been very good this week, after hitting an all-time low emotion-wise last week. Having been stuck for almost a month, mainly because of cheats, my weight loss has started again, so I'm very happy with that. Couldn't go to work today because of a horrible cold I've been dragging around since the start of the week, so I couldn't go to the gym at all, unfortunately. But hopefully I'll start getting out of the woods today. Have a shitload of uni coursework to catch up on as well, so fun day...
Hang in there, Straphe! The sunny season is almost here, so perhaps your emotional state will brighten up as well.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:41 AM   #1273
Major LCF Poster!

Trillex - I think I like the plain ones better too.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:43 AM   #1274
Major LCF Poster!

where at in Indiana if I can ask. I'm from Fort Wayne... well Roanoke but no one knows where that is, unless you say the GM plant. Been in St. Louis for 2years now, need to come home and visit soon.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:49 AM   #1275
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: straphe
Stats: 231/194.5/187
WOE: Atkins induction
Start Date: 15 January 2013
I've been hearing from a lot of people about how much my weight loss shows, and how happy they are for me, asking me what my goal is. When I tell them 170-165, they get horrified and say that I shouldn't go down that low, and that I should stop at around 185, if I even want to continue losing.

I've found that quite strange, because I thought that I still had a lot to lose, so I've decided to dig out my old measurements that I did after being 3 weeks on Atkins. Here are my stats, everything's in relation to 29th of January:

Height: 6 feet (just measured, previously unknown but estimated at 5.7 feet)
Right arm: .5 inches gained
Waist: 3.6 inches lost
Right thigh: 2 inches lost
Right calves: 1.2 inches lost

So, with my current weight of 195 lbs, that puts me to 26.5 on the BMI, which is pretty darn good. I never even realised how much my stomach "deflated", other than noticing that my shirts are becoming way too big. I just realised that I can run my hand down from my chest to my waist without bumping into my stomach.

That's all well and good, but I still carry a lot of fat around on my stomach and my thighs that I want to get rid of. I've been going to the gym with a friend of mine since the middle of February, pretty much three times a week (except for two weeks when I didn't go at all), doing around 10 mins of cardio followed by weights training. So I'm kinda at a crossroads here, because my main goal is not to be scrawny, but to build mucle tone and definition, and for that to effectively work, I don't know if I should stay on Induction and lose more weight or start going through the next steps to Maintenance, hitting the gym hard.

Wow, this became quite lenghty, apologies for that. Any advice would be very welcome.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #1276
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dinalyn
Stats: 5"2- goal met -86 pounds gone
Day 5 and no loss so far.but im not giving up! doing everything right(im pretty sure) so sooner or later the scale has to move,right? lol

Last edited by Dinalyn; 04-08-2013 at 12:08 PM..
Old 04-08-2013, 03:37 PM   #1277
Senior LCF Member

I was feeling great, doing great, down 6lbs, no cravings... and then I made pork adobo for dinner (pork, soy sauce, vinegar and bay leaf) I left all the sauce in the pan and just ate the meat. I was up THREE pounds this morning and my wedding ring which is normally a little loose is cutting off my circulation. *feeling very defeated* =(
I know the water weight will eventually go away, it's just such a let down.
It's a long, bumpy road to healthy.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #1278
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dinalyn
Stats: 5"2- goal met -86 pounds gone
Quote:
I was feeling great, doing great, down 6lbs, no cravings... and then I made pork adobo for dinner (pork, soy sauce, vinegar and bay leaf) I left all the sauce in the pan and just ate the meat. I was up THREE pounds this morning and my wedding ring which is normally a little loose is cutting off my circulation. *feeling very defeated* =(
i think your right and its water retention,soy sauce is good for that. chin up,drink your water and it will be gone in no time. i envy your 6 pounds

Last edited by Dinalyn; 04-08-2013 at 04:33 PM..
Old 04-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #1279
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
You can do this. I had the same sort of story as you. The sooner you realize that you can't do carbs, the quicker you will lose. Don't fight it just give in. Don't think about the things you can't have, and focus on the great stuff you can have and how much better you are going to feel. I am approaching the 90 pound mark. I started at the end of July. I am about ready to go off my blood pressure medicine. Congratulations on the start. This is the right time for you. Stick with us, and you will stick with the program.
Hi Stevie,

Thanks for the warm welcome. Wow 90 lbs! That's fantastic. And in less than a year?! Gives me hope. When I was first diagnosed with the HBP, the Physician I had at the time, was so negative. She told me that I would have to be on the meds, for the rest of my life. I knew she and the devil are both liars and I MY life. I am glad to hear you have decreased and will soon be off the meds.

Besides carbs making me fat, I have a diagnosed Gluten intolerance so at this point I really don't have a choice but to conform to this way of eating. I am not interested in all the gluten free products out there, they taste funny and are way too expensive. If I can get off the HBP meds I can put $191 (the cost of my RX) back into my monthly budget. Hows that for motivation!!!
Old 04-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #1280
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
Welcome back to Atkins!

I've stuck quite closely to the instructions in the book, Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution. And I kind of feel like sticking to the book has made it easier for me to stick to the plan.
I am following the same version of the book. I have the original 1972 version, the 2002 diet Revolution and a newer version. The Revolution is more to my liking. I agree when I am on plan, exactly as written, I fair better.

My problem occurs when I start to lose weight, I reward myself with a carby meal. I now know, well I've always known, I am incapable of getting back on plan with the next meal; like I said in a previous post its an all out month or year long binge. However, I tried to convince myself, the last 10 years, that I could get back on plan the next meal. Occasionally, I did but that was few and far between. I guess I could not admit to it because that would mean acknowledging how out of control I am when it comes to food. It means admitting my carb cravings are the boss of me; frankly, that's very scary because I always need to be in control. Hummm, can't believe I just put that in writing.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #1281
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraDavis View Post
cinglessofme - glad you joined us.

Thanks for the welcome. You are quite the cook. After I get through the next two weeks of induction you will have to give me that enchilada recipe. Mexican food is one of my favorites.

cmcd1070, I agree with both you and Dinalyn it's just water retention. Soy sauce used to get me every time I ate it. Flush it out with LOTS of water.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #1282
Major LCF Poster!

sure will... although I believe the bake is induction friendly.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #1283
Junior LCF Member

Today is day 1 im still very confused, I hope I'm doing this right!
B-2 scrambled eggs, 3 slices of Turkey bacon and 5 cucumbers
L- I want really hungry but I forced myself to eat something- 10 cucumbers, 3 celery sticks and 1 slice of salami.
D-buffalo balls (low carb recipe found on pinterest) and celery sticks.
S- sugar free more jello strawberry
water-45 oz.
I went to zumba class and burned some calories! PLEASE ANY OF YOU SEASONED PALS DOES THIS LOOK OK? WHAT AM I MISSING? JUST LOOKING FOR GUIDANCE! THANKS.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #1284
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistyluv View Post
Hello Everyone!

SO SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS!
Old 04-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #1285
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
...It means admitting my carb cravings are the boss of me; frankly, that's very scary because I always need to be in control. Hummm, can't believe I just put that in writing.
If it helps, you are not alone. I have recently had to acknowledge that I am a sugar addict and even after having weight loss surgery that I paid for out of pocket ($25K) I immediately found ways to break all the rules of surgery and eat sugar sugar sugar. At first I could eat all the sugar I wanted and keep losing weight, but two years later, that weight loss has stopped and now I have to face my addiction head on. It hasn't been easy, I have a long way to go, but every day I stay clean from sugar (14 days but who is counting haha) is another victory. There are so many informed, supportive people on this board that keep me motivated daily.

You can do this!
Old 04-09-2013, 01:19 AM   #1286
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by straphe View Post
I've been hearing from a lot of people about how much my weight loss shows, and how happy they are for me, asking me what my goal is. When I tell them 170-165, they get horrified and say that I shouldn't go down that low, and that I should stop at around 185, if I even want to continue losing.

I've found that quite strange, because I thought that I still had a lot to lose, so I've decided to dig out my old measurements that I did after being 3 weeks on Atkins. Here are my stats, everything's in relation to 29th of January:

Height: 6 feet (just measured, previously unknown but estimated at 5.7 feet)
Right arm: .5 inches gained
Waist: 3.6 inches lost
Right thigh: 2 inches lost
Right calves: 1.2 inches lost

So, with my current weight of 195 lbs, that puts me to 26.5 on the BMI, which is pretty darn good. I never even realised how much my stomach "deflated", other than noticing that my shirts are becoming way too big. I just realised that I can run my hand down from my chest to my waist without bumping into my stomach.

That's all well and good, but I still carry a lot of fat around on my stomach and my thighs that I want to get rid of. I've been going to the gym with a friend of mine since the middle of February, pretty much three times a week (except for two weeks when I didn't go at all), doing around 10 mins of cardio followed by weights training. So I'm kinda at a crossroads here, because my main goal is not to be scrawny, but to build mucle tone and definition, and for that to effectively work, I don't know if I should stay on Induction and lose more weight or start going through the next steps to Maintenance, hitting the gym hard.

Wow, this became quite lenghty, apologies for that. Any advice would be very welcome.
Congratulations, Straphe!

I don't know anything about maintenance but, it seems to me, that you're currently at the point where you need to find your best long-term strategy to eat and work out in a way that will help you maintain your lower weight and improved health.

Bodybuilders get muscle definition by stripping away the fat that covers their muscles, so they'll *show* better. What we think of as "muscularity" is actually muscle "definition" that makes the texture and shape of the muscles more apparent. You don't actually need to have bulky muscles to have a ripped physique, you need a low bodyfat level. So you may be happy with the results you get from continued fat loss, without increasing muscle size. But most guys want big biceps and pectoral muscles, so you might want to keep raising your bench press!
Old 04-09-2013, 01:25 AM   #1287
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Don't let the scale mess with your head! Daily scale fluctuations are not an indication of fat gain -- there is literally no physiological way that you could possibly have gained 3 pounds of fat overnight -- so what the scale says on a daily basis is not an accurate indication of your fat loss progress.

In my opinion, water weight fluctuations are something that I don't have to worry about until I'm at my goal weight. Right now, I'm too concerned with burning fat to be distracted by water.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:29 AM   #1288
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinalyn View Post
Day 5 and no loss so far.but im not giving up! doing everything right(im pretty sure) so sooner or later the scale has to move,right? lol
Don't give up, Dinalyn!

Were you eating low-carb before you started Atkins? Not everybody drops a lot of scale weight at the beginning, when they lose their glycogen stores -- I didn't seem to have a big scale drop at the beginning, although I only weigh once per month so I don't really know what happened in the first few days. But most people do see the scale drop at the beginning, so I'm just wondering if you'd already depleted your glycogen stores before you started.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:34 AM   #1289
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
My problem occurs when I start to lose weight, I reward myself with a carby meal. I now know, well I've always known, I am incapable of getting back on plan with the next meal; like I said in a previous post its an all out month or year long binge. However, I tried to convince myself, the last 10 years, that I could get back on plan the next meal. Occasionally, I did but that was few and far between. I guess I could not admit to it because that would mean acknowledging how out of control I am when it comes to food. It means admitting my carb cravings are the boss of me; frankly, that's very scary because I always need to be in control. Hummm, can't believe I just put that in writing.
The *reward* thing can be tricky. As tasty as food is, off-plan food is actually more of a punishment than a gift because it comes with horrible consequences. I was a major overeater before I started the diet and I'm not sure if I've actually *beaten* the habit of overeating or if I've just temporarily gotten away from it. Only time will tell! I hope I'm better than I was, though, because I don't want to go back to having back pain and terrible stamina.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:42 AM   #1290
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexxy1217 View Post
Today is day 1 im still very confused, I hope I'm doing this right!
B-2 scrambled eggs, 3 slices of Turkey bacon and 5 cucumbers
L- I want really hungry but I forced myself to eat something- 10 cucumbers, 3 celery sticks and 1 slice of salami.
D-buffalo balls (low carb recipe found on pinterest) and celery sticks.
S- sugar free more jello strawberry
water-45 oz.
I went to zumba class and burned some calories! PLEASE ANY OF YOU SEASONED PALS DOES THIS LOOK OK? WHAT AM I MISSING? JUST LOOKING FOR GUIDANCE! THANKS.
Do you know what the carb count is? It seems, to me, like kind of a lot of cucumbers. From my tracking, I've noticed that cucumbers don't have a lot of fiber so their carb count ends up being higher than many other veggies. I know that a lot of people don't have problems when they go over their carb count with vegetables, but it might be good to get into the habit of logging your daily carb count and becoming accustomed to eating at the induction level of 20g daily carbs, for at least the first two weeks.

Honestly, though, as long as you're satisfied with what you're eating and your carb count is low, just take a look at your weight at the end of the week and you'll know if your menus are helping you make progress.
Closed Thread