Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #1231
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'g View Post
I have been on many diets, never Atkins. Just started. This morning I had a frittata with sauteed onions, peppers, mushrooms and a little cheddar with a sausage patty. Quite delicious, although I do miss the home fries and toast! I am certainly willing to give this a go.
Good luck! I hope you enjoy Atkins as much as I have!

I don't have a history with diets but I've found Atkins to be MUCH easier than I thought dieting was going to be. Before I started, I thought going on a "diet" -- any diet -- was going to be really hard and that I was going to be hungry all the time and that I would probably quit or go crazy after a few weeks. But it really hasn't been that hard.

Somehow, for me, it has been easier to just *avoid* certain foods than it would be to *limit* certain foods. I guess I feel like it's easier to have good, tasty lamb without rice, for example, than it would be for me to have fat-reduced lamb and a limited amount of rice. At least with Atkins, I can eat until I'm genuinely satisfied rather than having to stop eating just because I've eaten a certain amount of calories at a given meal or on a given day. Mentally, I feel like I'm on a "diet" because I'm tracking everything I eat and I'm only eating certain things. Physically, though, I don't feel like I'm on a diet because I genuinely enjoy the food I'm eating and the quantity I eat is based on my hunger rather than calorie guidelines or some other guideline that has been imposed on me from an outside source.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #1232
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiloo View Post
After a couple of days you'll miss the potatoes and bread less...This my 2nd time on Atkins and today is my 5th day on Induction. The only craving I've really had is potato chips! So...I found a recipe for Zucchini Dorrito style chips. I made them, but haven't tried yet. Will keep you posted!
Are you familiar with "cheese chips?" I haven't had them in a while and, to be honest, I was never a huge chips person to begin with. But I made them a few Sunday afternoons during the summer, to serve with guacamole, and they are very "chippy" like potato chips or tortilla chips.

I just took deli slices of cheddar cheese and cut each slice in square quarters, put them on baking parchment paper on a cookie sheet, placed apart the way one would place cookie dough, and then baked them for about 5 minutes in a 400-degree oven until they were bubbly and light brown in the center and darker brown on the edges. Then I let them cool until they were "stiff" like chips. They have little bubbly "holes" in them but they're still appropriate for picking up guacamole or other dips.

I made them because I had people over who needed a little appetizer. None of those people were on diets, but everyone loved them and thought I was getting *gourmet* by serving cheese chips instead of standard chips.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #1233
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpass001 View Post
Hello all! Been a long time since I've low-or no-carbed it. I have found great success with completing induction before, but always stopped because of the glorious weight loss, only to eventually find myself back at the same big, or bigger, sizes once more.

I am done with yo-yoing and putting my life in danger, so I'm ready to start over and determined to see all of the phases through.

Started induction 2 days ago, and have been really strict on myself. I even passed on a small glass of red wine last night at a party, which is SO unlike me! Overall feel like I'm having an out of body experience. I read somewhere on one of the boards that the first 3-7 days of induction may make you feel like you have the common flu. That's exactly how I would describe this. I've got a headache, I feel achey, and I'm not going to even to describe what's going on in the bathroom.

But what's funny is, this general feeling of yuckiness is honestly WONDERFUL, because guess what? I'm not hungry! Hallelujah! I'm usually ALWAYS hungry! I love the fact that I am not tempted to eat foods I normally crave because I honestly just don't want them.

...and the best part is, I am already down 1.5 pounds in 2 DAYS!

I am happy with the immediate results I am finding, but know that I will need inspiration to press on.

Look forward to taking this journey with you ladies! Congrats and good luck to all of you!
Welcome back to Atkins!

I hope you'll stick with it because, in my experience, Atkins has genuinely gotten easier the longer I've done it. It took me a few months, but something eventually *clicked* in my brain that convinced me that I just "don't eat" certain foods. I don't know if this attitude will last forever, but I've kind of gotten to the point now where I *feel* like I'm allergic to off-plan foods. Maybe that's because I've had some significant health and stamina improvements since starting the diet, so I feel like the way I ate before was making me ill.

With regard to the "induction flu," the authors of The New Atkins for a New You and The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance, clinical researchers Stephen Phinney and Jeff Volek say (and my trainer also told me the same thing) that adequate electrolyte intake can help low-carb dieters avoid the unpleasant side effects that come with starting a low-carb diet. My trainer gave me a comprehensive, sugar-free/starch-free electrolyte supplement when I started Atkins and he told me that it would help prevent weakness, crankiness and the other symptoms of "induction flu." I took the supplements as instructed and I didn't have any bad feelings or weakness or illness, at all, from the very first day that I started Atkins. You could also just try eating some high-sodium broth to raise systemic sodium levels, which helps stabilize the systemic levels of other tissue electrolytes.

Stephen Phinney says:
The body’s metabolism of salt is uniquely different when one is adapted to a low carbohydrate diet.

Salt and water are more efficiently excreted, which is a good thing as long as you maintain an adequate minimum sodium intake.

Ignore this lesson and you are likely to suffer the completely avoidable problems of headache, fatigue, weakness and constipation—maladies that any Inuit healer would have promptly resolved by giving you a bowl of blood soup, or meat broth made with sea ice of the proper age.

http://jonnybowdenblog.com/salt-and-the-low-carb-diet/
Jeff Volek explains:
Individuals on low carb diets often do not have enough sodium in their diets. Keto adapted kidneys excrete more sodium. In an effort to retain sodium, the body will then excrete potassium which can affect muscle protein balance negatively. This disturbed mineral management can also affect magnesium balance. Suboptimal magnesium levels in cells are linked with muscle twitches and cramps. Thus if one is not careful in ensuring adequate sodium intake this can cause problems in mineral balance in the body.

http://www.apec-s.com/wp-content/upl...nforcement.pdf
Apparently, potassium is vital to protein synthesis in muscle tissue so the loss of potassium can cause weakness and muscle fatigue. My trainer gave me a comprehensive electrolyte supplement -- with sodium, potassium, magnesium, and other supporting electrolytes -- because he has me working with heavy weights. But Phinney and Volek say that most people will be fine if they just make sure to get sufficient sodium, which will help protect the balance of the body's other minerals.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #1234
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Look forward to taking this journey with you ladies! Congrats and good luck to all of you!
It's not just ladies! Big Stevie is, by far, the most successful Induction Baby.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #1235
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dinalyn
Stats: 5"2- goal met -86 pounds gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
Welcome to Atkins, Dinalyn! Congratulations on losing 73 pounds. That is so fantastic, you must feel wonderful!
Thank you! i havent been this size in 20yrs and i feel fantastic and getting my much needed exercise
Old 04-04-2013, 02:30 PM   #1236
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmcd1070
Stats: pre-op 240/now 167/goal 130
WOE: Organic Low Carb
Start Date: WLS 2-8-11. Atkins (reboot) 4-7-14
My husband was telling me this morning that people are going to be upset if we don't eat their food while we are visiting, and I got really defensive (and well, scared) about my right NOT to eat carbs. I need to learn how to assert myself without being defensive.

If I was a recovering alcoholic, would people offer me drinks? And if they did, what is the appropriate response? No thank you seems like enough to me, but what if it's not? How much personal disclosure is enough? =(

I'm no longer looking forward to this trip out of town.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #1237
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hayek
Stats: 220/165/175
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/26/13 (Atkins-ish); 5/6/13 (Keto)
I think "no thank you" is more than enough to respectful and appropriate people.

I'm an assertive person, but I'm open with most people I know that what they may be serving is not my way of eating. Most people I know are supporting of it, but I do get the "one bite" or "a little bit" won't "kill you." And I generally reply, "you're right, it won't kill me, but I don't want it and it doesn't fit in with my lifestyle so that's that." And they usually shutdown right then and there. But then again, I'm not afraid to be assertive, and if they view that as rude or disrespectful after their imposition, I'm not too concerned and view it as their problem. I was merely succinct, straight-forward, and honest.

I suppose if you want a more diplomatic way, perhaps just saying no thank you, I really do not enjoy eating that way or (if you want a slight white lie -- although it's not necessarily a white lie) say you have a food sensitivity to whatever it is they're pushing. I mean, most of us here are carb sensitive after all? Most people probably wouldn't inquire after that... I'd hope.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #1238
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dinalyn
Stats: 5"2- goal met -86 pounds gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcd1070 View Post
My husband was telling me this morning that people are going to be upset if we don't eat their food while we are visiting, and I got really defensive (and well, scared) about my right NOT to eat carbs. I need to learn how to assert myself without being defensive.

If I was a recovering alcoholic, would people offer me drinks? And if they did, what is the appropriate response? No thank you seems like enough to me, but what if it's not? How much personal disclosure is enough? =(

you stick to your guns, this is one time its more than ok to be putting yourself first. we have a trip coming up next month,and im gonna be in the same boat. we can do it!

Last edited by Dinalyn; 04-04-2013 at 02:56 PM..
Old 04-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #1239
Senior LCF Member

yes, that is exactly what my husband is telling me. "just one bite"

he is only about 10lbs overweight and has never been obese in his life. He has no idea what "just one bite" could do! I'm in a really good place emotionally with my food and I don't want to mess that up with "just one bite" of ANYTHING.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #1240
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Quote:

Is it possible for you to talk to the people that you'll be visiting with before you go? Just to clarify things before you even take the trip, and avoid any problems. Just explain that you've made a lifestyle change and what you are and aren't eating. Let them know that you'd love to share their amazing treats, but that you just can't right now. Explain that you don't expect them to make special food for you, you can bring your own if they'd like, but you just want them to know before you get there. It would just avoid any problems before they even start.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #1241
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LauraDavis
Stats: 245.8/190.6/145
Start Date: March 2013
Hi everyone

So many new people it's so exciting. Welcome everyone.

cmcd1070 - you have to stick to what is right for you. Just be polite and I think most people will understand.

Ok gettin hungry have to go make pizza will finish post in a bit.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #1242
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
Is it possible for you to talk to the people that you'll be visiting with before you go? Just to clarify things before you even take the trip, and avoid any problems. Just explain that you've made a lifestyle change and what you are and aren't eating. Let them know that you'd love to share their amazing treats, but that you just can't right now. Explain that you don't expect them to make special food for you, you can bring your own if they'd like, but you just want them to know before you get there. It would just avoid any problems before they even start.
Yes, that is an option. My struggle with food is visible, I can't hide it. I wear it every single day. But I don't talk to people about it. It feels deeply personal and I have a lot of anxiety around opening up about my food addiction. But I'm always looking for the EASY way out. I'm just going to have to be frank and assertive. Not exactly words people would use to describe me.

I can do this.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #1243
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
You're right, you CAN do this. And you will! I wouldn't go into a lot of detail, I would just that you're making a lifestyle change and not eating carbs. That's all they need to know. I know it's not easy, but you are so worth it!
Old 04-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #1244
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kpass001
Stats: 229/225/140
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: April 2013
Quote:
Welcome back to Atkins!

I hope you'll stick with it because, in my experience, Atkins has genuinely gotten easier the longer I've done it. It took me a few months, but something eventually *clicked* in my brain that convinced me that I just "don't eat" certain foods. I don't know if this attitude will last forever, but I've kind of gotten to the point now where I *feel* like I'm allergic to off-plan foods. Maybe that's because I've had some significant health and stamina improvements since starting the diet, so I feel like the way I ate before was making me ill.

With regard to the "induction flu," the authors of The New Atkins for a New You and The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance, clinical researchers Stephen Phinney and Jeff Volek say (and my trainer also told me the same thing) that adequate electrolyte intake can help low-carb dieters avoid the unpleasant side effects that come with starting a low-carb diet. My trainer gave me a comprehensive, sugar-free/starch-free electrolyte supplement when I started Atkins and he told me that it would help prevent weakness, crankiness and the other symptoms of "induction flu." I took the supplements as instructed and I didn't have any bad feelings or weakness or illness, at all, from the very first day that I started Atkins. You could also just try eating some high-sodium broth to raise systemic sodium levels, which helps stabilize the systemic levels of other tissue electrolytes.

Stephen Phinney says:
The body’s metabolism of salt is uniquely different when one is adapted to a low carbohydrate diet.

Salt and water are more efficiently excreted, which is a good thing as long as you maintain an adequate minimum sodium intake.

Ignore this lesson and you are likely to suffer the completely avoidable problems of headache, fatigue, weakness and constipation—maladies that any Inuit healer would have promptly resolved by giving you a bowl of blood soup, or meat broth made with sea ice of the proper age.

http://jonnybowdenblog.com/salt-and-the-low-carb-diet/
Jeff Volek explains:
Individuals on low carb diets often do not have enough sodium in their diets. Keto adapted kidneys excrete more sodium. In an effort to retain sodium, the body will then excrete potassium which can affect muscle protein balance negatively. This disturbed mineral management can also affect magnesium balance. Suboptimal magnesium levels in cells are linked with muscle twitches and cramps. Thus if one is not careful in ensuring adequate sodium intake this can cause problems in mineral balance in the body.

http://www.apec-s.com/wp-content/upl...nforcement.pdf
Apparently, potassium is vital to protein synthesis in muscle tissue so the loss of potassium can cause weakness and muscle fatigue. My trainer gave me a comprehensive electrolyte supplement -- with sodium, potassium, magnesium, and other supporting electrolytes -- because he has me working with heavy weights. But Phinney and Volek say that most people will be fine if they just make sure to get sufficient sodium, which will help protect the balance of the body's other minerals.
Thanks Trillex! Sounds like you really know your stuff. Glad to know there are supplements out there that can help me find some relief. Thought this "flu" was just par for the course.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #1245
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

he is only about 10lbs overweight and has never been obese in his life. He has no idea what "just one bite" could do! I'm in a really good place emotionally with my food and I don't want to mess that up with "just one bite" of ANYTHING.
You are in a great, positive place! I really admire your determination!

"One bite" isn't just about what it does to your body, to me, it's also about what it does to your emotional commitment to healing your body. I can see why people don't necessarily understand the significance of "one bite" of off-plan food if they've never had to lose a significant amount of bodyfat. One of my former co-workers lost more than 100 pounds on a diet and one of the guys in our office said to her at an office birthday party, "You look great! Now you can have a piece of cake." And she told him, "If I hadn't stopped eating stuff like that, I wouldn't look great or feel great." After she said that, his expression changed and he looked like, "OH! Okay." It seemed like he just didn't *get it* until she clarified the situation.

I'm sort of *lucky*, in a weird way, because I'm the only obese person in my family so the people who are close to me understand that what works for them doesn't work for me, so they allow me to do what I need to do with regard to my diet. Also, I'm like Hayek, I'm a very assertive person. But since you're not comfortable being a bit pushy, maybe if you gently -- but clearly -- tell them that your body chemistry is a bit different from theirs and from the mainstream, maybe they'll understand *why* you can't eat "one bite" of what they eat. Maybe they just genuinely don't understand that not everyone will have the same physical results from eating certain foods.

Stay strong! You've come way too far to let someone else interfere with your progress. HUGS!
Old 04-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #1246
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraDavis View Post
Hi everyone

So many new people it's so exciting. Welcome everyone.

cmcd1070 - you have to stick to what is right for you. Just be polite and I think most people will understand.

Ok gettin hungry have to go make pizza will finish post in a bit.
Congratulations on breaking past 230, Laura!

I'm going to try the pork rind breading on some fish on Saturday. A buddy of mine is coming over to watch some movies and I want to serve some crunchy fish. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #1247
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
It's good to see you back, Mother Goose! I wondered how you were doing. I also follow the Challenge thread and you have been making wonderful progress!
Old 04-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #1248
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks Trillex! Sounds like you really know your stuff. Glad to know there are supplements out there that can help me find some relief. Thought this "flu" was just par for the course.
I don't really *know* how all of this works because, you know, different bodies have such different reactions to dietary changes. But I've read and been told that the loss of electrolytes causes the "induction flu" imbalance and the feelings of illness, and taking the electrolytes seemed to work for me. So, it will hopefully help you!
Old 04-05-2013, 01:43 AM   #1249
Major LCF Poster!

Trillex - let me know about the fish.... gettin a bit hungry for fish.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:06 AM   #1250
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
Quote:

What you do is call a week in advance and inform them that you are on a special diet and will be bringing your own food and will be cooking for them. I think the issues happen when the person spent there money and time to,prepare something for you that you didn't want. They are just trying to love you. Tell them early and tell them they can love in other ways so everyone is happy.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:11 AM   #1251
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

You need to reframe this for them. I usually use the would you offer an alcoholic just one drink or a heroine addict just one taste argument. The light comes on for most people when I have this conversation. For some it won't and you just need to avoid those people.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:17 AM   #1252
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
It's not just ladies! Big Stevie is, by far, the most successful Induction Baby.
Yes I am a man,, don't hate me!

As far as most successful I don't know about that. You are doing great as well Trillex. I haven't done the math to see the percentage to goal we are each at, but don't sell yourself short.

Others can do this as well. It is relatively easy. Just give in and submit to the induction food list isn't don't fight it and you to can be successful on this eating
Plan
Old 04-05-2013, 03:57 AM   #1253
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: straphe
Stats: 231/194.5/187
WOE: Atkins induction
Start Date: 15 January 2013
I, too, was feeling like the only man on this board until I found this thread. Now there's three men that I know of on this board.

I've been very good this week, after hitting an all-time low emotion-wise last week. Having been stuck for almost a month, mainly because of cheats, my weight loss has started again, so I'm very happy with that. Couldn't go to work today because of a horrible cold I've been dragging around since the start of the week, so I couldn't go to the gym at all, unfortunately. But hopefully I'll start getting out of the woods today. Have a shitload of uni coursework to catch up on as well, so fun day...
Old 04-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #1254
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: windiloo
Stats: 195/192
Start Date: March 31, 2013
Didn't the cheese spread out? The zucchini chips weren't bad in taste...make sure you get all the water out of them first using many paper towels. I had a hard time getting the seasoning just right. Not bad though...
Old 04-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #1255
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: windiloo
Stats: 195/192
Start Date: March 31, 2013
cheese chips

Quote:
Are you familiar with "cheese chips?" I haven't had them in a while and, to be honest, I was never a huge chips person to begin with. But I made them a few Sunday afternoons during the summer, to serve with guacamole, and they are very "chippy" like potato chips or tortilla chips.

I just took deli slices of cheddar cheese and cut each slice in square quarters, put them on baking parchment paper on a cookie sheet, placed apart the way one would place cookie dough, and then baked them for about 5 minutes in a 400-degree oven until they were bubbly and light brown in the center and darker brown on the edges. Then I let them cool until they were "stiff" like chips. They have little bubbly "holes" in them but they're still appropriate for picking up guacamole or other dips.

I made them because I had people over who needed a little appetizer. None of those people were on diets, but everyone loved them and thought I was getting *gourmet* by serving cheese chips instead of standard chips.

Didnt the cheese spread out?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #1256
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiloo View Post
Didnt the cheese spread out?
They spread out a little bit. So I place them on the parchment paper like cookies, about 1 inch apart.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:39 PM   #1257
Major LCF Poster!

I also had pepperoni chips they were nice and crispy also. Could be used for dips. Next time I make them I think I'll use sandwich pepperoni which is bigger.

Ok so I cheated today. Went to McDonald's I got grilled chicken and bacon, but I ate one of my bf french fries... didn't taste so good. Then I had a dream that I ate candy, the christmas mint things that are white chewy with red center and green and red strips coming out of the center. Strange huh?
Old 04-06-2013, 03:23 AM   #1258
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
When I go to others for dinner, I eat a little before getting there so I'm not starving, and then just don't eat the carbs on the plate. If anyone says anything, I just say I'm full.

I go out to enjoy others company, not particularly to eat
Old 04-06-2013, 03:51 AM   #1259
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: niklivers
Stats: 224/205/168
Start Date: 25th March 2013
Hi,
I am on my 13th day of Induction, yipee.
I lost a stone and a half(21 lbs) on Atkins 8 years ago, for my wedding, and kept it of for over a year.
I never did the entire 14 day induction and after 4 days i started to have some raspberries and the odd slice of toast.
Here i am 8 years later and now need to lose 56lbs to get back to my wedding weight!
I have strictly stuck to Induction and have lost 9lbs and i still have today and tomorrow before i finish my two weeks.
The main thing i have learnt this time is you must stick to the induction stage.
I am not craving anything and often do not feel hungry even at meal times.
I have found some great receipies on the UK Atkins.com which has given me the motivatiin to stay on induction for just a little longer.
My advise is to stick with it, even though it can be rough, and you will lose those cravings and your apetite will decrease.
Thanks to everyone who wrote on this thread, you have kept me strong for the last 13 days xx
Old 04-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #1260
Senior LCF Member

Welcome Niklivers. It sounds like you are doing great. Might I suggest that you just stick on Induction for awhile. You still have a lot of weight to loss and it will get you there faster. I personally have been on Induction for six or seven months. I since have added a few things back in, but still not a lot. You are feeling great on induction so why not stay. It gets easier and easier.
Closed Thread