Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 01:10 AM   #1081
Senior LCF Member
 
Big Stevie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 851
Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
Well I got on my scale today and it said I was up 20 pounds. WHAT!!! This is a new scale, about 4 months old. I guess it isn't working right. Which means I have to throw it out and get a new one. Oh well, I know I haven't gained anything since I lost another belt loop since I weighted in last two weeks ago. I know for sure I am not up 20. I really do hate scales. They are so unreliable. I did a lot of research and spent a lot for it. Not happy right now.
Big Stevie is offline  

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2013, 06:31 AM   #1082
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 4
Gallery: Em55
Stats: 251/246/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3-5-13
Hi all,
I could use some guidance. I'm new to induction, (day 8 though I lost 40 lbs on Atkins 20 years ago). I haven't bought the book yet this time. I printed the list of allowable foods and I've been keeping my carbs below 20 each day. The truth is I'm eating a lot of food, and if it weren't for the cravings (I'm typing with one hand because I chewed the other arm off on day 3) it wouldn't feel like dieting. But, I'm now concerned I'm eating too much food because the scale isn't moving much. According to the strips I move between "some" to "large" amount of ketones. Here are some questions I have:
-how important is giving up the coffee (sob)?
-is waking up with headaches normal?
-is there a calorie range I should try to stay within to manage the volume of food I'm eating?
-are the Atkins bars ok (they say they are, but I had my first last night and I was up this morning on the scale)?
-is it ok to eat pork rinds out of the bag?
-should I be on new induction or 72 induction? (And should I break down and buy the book. I get the concept and there is plenty of info online.)
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Em55 is offline  
Old 03-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #1083
Senior LCF Member
 
Big Stevie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 851
Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
Welcome em55. Lots of questions, I will try to help. First, relax. If you have lost weight on Atkins before, it will work for you again. You should get the book. It has a lot of good information beyond the induction food list.

Coffee. For some people it effect their blood sugar and causes cravings. It can lead to you being extra hungry. If it doesn't cause you these problems, then go ahead and drink it. Just really pay attention to what it does to you.

Headaches. You should be done with those by now. They may be related to caffine withdrawal. Make sure you are taking vitamins. Make sure you are getting enough salt as well.

Calories. In the beginning don't worry about calories. Just eat until you are satisfied. Once things settle down, put your menu into an online tracker and figure out how many calories you are eating. Most women eat around 1,300 and men around 1,800. This usually happens naturally by just eating less than 20 grams of carbs a day. If it doesn't for you, let us know and we can help you adjust your menus.

Atkins bars. They don't work for me. They cause me to be hungry and I obsess over eating them when they are in my house. Again, everyone is different and you need to find what works for you!

Pork rinds. They can be addictive. I pull some out of the bag before I start eating them so I don't over eat. Since you are just starting it is more important for you just to stay on induction foods so for now I wouldn't worry about it.

Book. I have the the New Diet Revolution book. Yes buy it and read it.

Good luck. Stick around. We can help you do this!
Big Stevie is offline  
Old 03-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #1084
Junior LCF Member
 
indigocrush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: TX
Posts: 11
Gallery: indigocrush
Stats: 186/183/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2013
Day 2 of Induction. Had a really bad headache, but I'm on break so I took an hour nap and my energy is much better now. I'm keeping myself hydrated. I made a broccoli quiche for breakfast for the rest of the week. I'm keeping off the scale until the weekend--I want to surprise myself.
indigocrush is offline  
Old 03-12-2013, 07:38 PM   #1085
Junior LCF Member
 
dynaMOna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 27
Gallery: dynaMOna
Stats: 314/?/260
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 3, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigocrush View Post
I'm keeping off the scale until the weekend
I've made a commitment to stay away from the scale until I finish 2 weeks of Induction. I weighed during the first week, and was disappointed, so instead, I'm just sticking to the plan, staying in today, and checking in here where I get positive feedback on anything I ask!
dynaMOna is offline  
Old 03-12-2013, 11:14 PM   #1086
Major LCF Poster!
 
Trillex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 1,200
Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
Well I got on my scale today and it said I was up 20 pounds. WHAT!!! This is a new scale, about 4 months old. I guess it isn't working right. Which means I have to throw it out and get a new one. Oh well, I know I haven't gained anything since I lost another belt loop since I weighted in last two weeks ago. I know for sure I am not up 20. I really do hate scales. They are so unreliable. I did a lot of research and spent a lot for it. Not happy right now.
Just wondering... Is it one of those special, digital scales? I don't currently own a scale but when my trainer leaves me in May, I will need one. I've been looking at the scale that coordinates with the fitbit. So I was wondering if you have that one or a similar one. I've been weighing in on one of those big, medical, balance-type scales at the gym, but I don't have room for that kind of scale.
Trillex is offline  
Old 03-12-2013, 11:35 PM   #1087
Major LCF Poster!
 
Trillex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 1,200
Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em55 View Post
(And should I break down and buy the book. I get the concept and there is plenty of info online.)
I would suggest that you buy an Atkins book and re-read it. You can get used copies from Amazon for just a couple of bucks, including shipping. Maybe you don't *need* it. I mean, the stuff is all online and it's a pretty simple diet concept. But it seems to me that buying the book and reading it would represent an important level of commitment to following the diet and making a real change in your lifestyle. Even if this is just a diet that you're planning to use for a short period of time to achieve a short-term goal, you'll probably get better results from fully committing to it during the period of time it takes to achieve that goal.

If you're doing fine without the book, then you're probably okay just doing what you're doing. But if you're having problems -- or if you have problems in the future -- then maybe double-checking the guidelines in the book and making sure you're being compliant with the plan can help you sort yourself out and correct any problems.

I think most people don't weigh and measure their food portions, and they do fine without measuring and tracking what they eat. But if you're having trouble, maybe you could weigh and measure portions for a few days and enter the info into a tracking program to make sure that your carbs really are where you think they are. For example, a big salad -- without croutons or dressing -- can have 20g carbs in it from induction-friendly things like green peppers and cucumbers and tomatoes. So if you're shooting for 20g carbs per day and having a couple of salads because you feel like salad just couldn't possibly conflict with your plan, you might find that innocent-seeming things might be putting you over the limit.

I've only read/used the 2002 version of Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution so I don't know much about the other Atkins plans. From reading the forum, it seems like people really love the old school 1972 Atkins diet.

Good luck!
Trillex is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #1088
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 4
Gallery: Em55
Stats: 251/246/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3-5-13
Thank you Trillex and Big Stevie,
Your feedback is very helpful and I ordered the book yesterday. Can one skip vegetables altogether during induction to avoid the carbs?
Also, if the ketostix say "small" amount am I ok?
I get tired going up the stairs this past week and I still have the morning headaches and its day 10 (though truthfully, I started on Paleo the first 3 days and then switched to Atkins.)
I really get a lot out of reading these forums. It's generous of you to be so helpful to the rookies.
Emily
Em55 is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 09:17 AM   #1089
Senior LCF Member
 
Big Stevie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 851
Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
Most of the ketosis stick just show whether you are in ketosis or not. Color darkness usually doesn't indicate more or less. If it is darker, it typically means you are not drinking enough water. I have only used them a few times. You don't need to continually use them.

Your headaches should be going away. Did you give up caffeine as well? Sometime those are the worst withdrawals.
Big Stevie is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #1090
Major LCF Poster!
 
Trillex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 1,200
Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em55 View Post
Can one skip vegetables altogether during induction to avoid the carbs?
Some people do what's called a "meat and egg" fast to speed their pound loss, where they basically only eat meat and eggs and leave out the veggies. And some people say that they prefer the 1972 version of Atkins because they say that the focus of that plan on meat, with fewer veggies, causes faster pound loss. So that approach seems to work really well for a lot of people.

It seems to me that if you love meat and eggs enough to make that kind of approach enjoyable to you, then that could be a good plan for you. If those additional limitations make the diet less pleasant, though, I would be concerned that you would eventually quit the diet altogether. I've seen a lot of people on the forum find ways to make the diet work quickly -- and they lose an impressive number of pounds -- but then they just quit. In the long run, it seems to me, any dieter is better off finding the best menu that they can stick with even if that means losing at a slower pace. I think faster is better than slower, but faster won't do anyone any good if it leads to dissatisfaction with the diet and eventually quitting before goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em55 View Post
I get tired going up the stairs this past week and I still have the morning headaches and its day 10 (though truthfully, I started on Paleo the first 3 days and then switched to Atkins.)
You're the second person that has mentioned headaches in the past couple of days -- so it seems to be kind of a common thing. I didn't have any headaches when I started, even though I gave up caffeine. Before Atkins, I'd been having a large mocha latte with breakfast at least 6 days per week -- I would have 2 or 3 mocha lattes on Saturday mornings -- and I drank a lot of tea during Office Hours and in class while I was teaching. When I gave up caffeine, I started drinking TONS of water and maybe that helped me avoid problems...?

The authors of The New Atkins for a New You and The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance Stephen Phinney and Jeff Volek -- and my trainer also told me the same thing -- say that adequate electrolyte intake can help low-carb dieters avoid the unpleasant side effects that come with starting a low-carb diet. My trainer gave me a comprehensive, sugar-free/starch-free electrolyte supplement when I started Atkins and he told me that it would help prevent weakness, crankiness and the other symptoms of "induction flu." I took the supplements as instructed and I didn't have any bad feelings or weakness or illness, at all, from the very first day that I started Atkins.

Stephen Phinney says:
The body’s metabolism of salt is uniquely different when one is adapted to a low carbohydrate diet.

Salt and water are more efficiently excreted, which is a good thing as long as you maintain an adequate minimum sodium intake.

Ignore this lesson and you are likely to suffer the completely avoidable problems of headache, fatigue, weakness and constipation—maladies that any Inuit healer would have promptly resolved by giving you a bowl of blood soup, or meat broth made with sea ice of the proper age.


http://jonnybowdenblog.com/salt-and-the-low-carb-diet/
Jeff Volek explains:
Individuals on low carb diets often do not have enough sodium in their diets. Keto adapted kidneys excrete more sodium. In an effort to retain sodium, the body will then excrete potassium which can affect muscle protein balance negatively. This disturbed mineral management can also affect magnesium balance. Suboptimal magnesium levels in cells are linked with muscle twitches and cramps. Thus if one is not careful in ensuring adequate sodium intake this can cause problems in mineral balance in the body.

http://www.apec-s.com/wp-content/upl...nforcement.pdf
Apparently, potassium is vital to protein synthesis in muscle tissue so the loss of potassium can cause weakness and muscle fatigue. My trainer gave me a comprehensive electrolyte supplement -- with sodium, potassium, magnesium, and other supporting electrolytes -- because he had me working with heavy weights. But Phinney and Volek say that most people will be fine if they just make sure to get sufficient sodium, which will help protect the balance of the body's other minerals.
Trillex is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #1091
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2
Gallery: Garnetgirl
So Very New

Hi,

So new to this but think I will love it. Thing is, I never really liked bread, like potatoes, but can do without and never liked rice. Have always liked meat and cannot for the life of me wrap my head around eating things I have been staying away from for years. All the butter, and fat filled meats. It IS BLOWING MY MIND

I started last week and am realizing what kind of an eater I am. I am notiticing that I am snacker when I am working at my computer whether is is home or at work. I am soooooooo missing my trail mix and cashews and all things crunchy and NOT crunchy veggies!!

Help!!! So is it true that I will have have a affair with pork rinds to get my crunchy craving under control?
Garnetgirl is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #1092
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2
Gallery: Garnetgirl
You know, I had a headache for two days and atrributed it to allergies or maybe my lack of coffee over the weekend. I Only drink it at work. So this is making sense, my diet has changed. Ok. None today so that is good.
Garnetgirl is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 03:39 PM   #1093
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Dexter, MO
Posts: 3
Gallery: mrs lucky
Stats: 275/275/190
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 14,2013
Hello everyone!!! I have found myself back to Atkins after a 11 year leave. My husband and myself tried it for about 2 months and I lost 25 lbs but ended up pregnant lol. So since then I have had two back surgerys and have put on massive amounts of weight! Unfortunately I am back up to my heaviest weight of 275. I weighed this much 16 years ago and lost down to 200 and then ended up with 3 pregnancies and the weight came back on. My husband and myself will both be doing Atkins this time but I have a quick question or two. During induction is it ok to :
*Use Liquid MIO in my water. I used the atkins phone app and it says it has 0 carbs but I really need to make sure.
*The same with Propel water it has 0 and in thought should be good. As I am determined to stop drinking diet soda's because of the issues with health I really need something to flavor my water and I know I have to limit my lemon.
*Advil- is it okay to take on induction as I take it daily with my back issues
*Also cheese! My husband and I are having the argument that cheese is ok but only up to 4 oz. He states that if you find some that has 0 carbs (real hard cheese) than you should be able to have more! I disagree. Please help. I already got the multivitamin/multimineral supplement with no iron and the Omega 3 supplement for us to take. I want to loose around 80lbs and my husband wants to loose about 80 as well. We know this is a life style change. Thanks for any help!
mrs lucky is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #1094
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Dexter, MO
Posts: 3
Gallery: mrs lucky
Stats: 275/275/190
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 14,2013
Garnetgirl: If you are use to caffine you will have some withdrawl headaches... should only last a few days then your body should straighten itself out Best of luck

Last edited by mrs lucky; 03-13-2013 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: didn't reference the person I was answering too
mrs lucky is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #1095
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 91
Gallery: straphe
Stats: 231/194.5/187
WOE: Atkins induction
Start Date: 15 January 2013
So, today marks the two month aniversary of me starting Atkins. Two months, around 31 pounds lost, and just dipped below 200 today. And I celebrated that with a huge pizza.

The main reason I wanted to lose weight was to feel comfortable enough to start going to the gym, and I started going quite regularly three weeks ago, so I was well happy with that. I will definitely keep low carbing, it's without a doubt highly beneficial, but I think I'll have a cheat meal once, at most twice a month, just so that I can kill my cravings and actually continue staying on plan.

My last cheat only stalled me for three days and I only went up one and a half pounds, so hopefully I'll be back in the 100's by early next week, if not sooner. Here's to the next two months!
straphe is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #1096
Major LCF Poster!
 
Trillex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 1,200
Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnetgirl View Post
Hi,

So new to this but think I will love it. Thing is, I never really liked bread, like potatoes, but can do without and never liked rice. Have always liked meat and cannot for the life of me wrap my head around eating things I have been staying away from for years. All the butter, and fat filled meats. It IS BLOWING MY MIND

I started last week and am realizing what kind of an eater I am. I am notiticing that I am snacker when I am working at my computer whether is is home or at work. I am soooooooo missing my trail mix and cashews and all things crunchy and NOT crunchy veggies!!

Help!!! So is it true that I will have have a affair with pork rinds to get my crunchy craving under control?
I'm like that, too, with starches! I've always been able to take them or leave them. I've always had a "meat tooth" instead of a "sweet tooth" so Atkins has been really great!

A lot of the people on the Challenge thread and on the New Year, New You thread post their daily menus and a lot of them seem to eat a lot of pork rinds. I'm not a crunch craver, myself, so I haven't personally had pork rinds -- except in Puerto Rico when they cut it right off the pig out of the grilling pit. Pork rinds are meat, and low in carbs, so I'm sure they're fine. I would say to give it a try, but make sure you log the amount you're eating in a tracker so that you can see what it contributes to your daily nutrition.
Trillex is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #1097
Major LCF Poster!
 
Trillex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 1,200
Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs lucky View Post
Hello everyone!!! I have found myself back to Atkins after a 11 year leave. My husband and myself tried it for about 2 months and I lost 25 lbs but ended up pregnant lol. So since then I have had two back surgerys and have put on massive amounts of weight! Unfortunately I am back up to my heaviest weight of 275. I weighed this much 16 years ago and lost down to 200 and then ended up with 3 pregnancies and the weight came back on. My husband and myself will both be doing Atkins this time but I have a quick question or two. During induction is it ok to :
*Use Liquid MIO in my water. I used the atkins phone app and it says it has 0 carbs but I really need to make sure.
*The same with Propel water it has 0 and in thought should be good. As I am determined to stop drinking diet soda's because of the issues with health I really need something to flavor my water and I know I have to limit my lemon.
*Advil- is it okay to take on induction as I take it daily with my back issues
*Also cheese! My husband and I are having the argument that cheese is ok but only up to 4 oz. He states that if you find some that has 0 carbs (real hard cheese) than you should be able to have more! I disagree. Please help. I already got the multivitamin/multimineral supplement with no iron and the Omega 3 supplement for us to take. I want to loose around 80lbs and my husband wants to loose about 80 as well. We know this is a life style change. Thanks for any help!
Welcome back to Atkins!

My version of the Atkins diet -- the 2002 version of Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution -- specifically says to eat no more than 3-4 ounces of cheese per day. "Fresh cheeses" -- which are listed as cottage cheese, ricotta, soft goat cheese, and mascarpone -- are not included in induction and are on the second rung of the Atkins Ongoing Weight Loss ladder, according to my copy of the book, because they are higher in carbs.

Since Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution specifically limits cheese, even the very low-carb cheeses, I think that's a clear guideline and I believe it's important to obey the guidelines of the diet in order to give the diet a chance to work the way that it's supposed to work. I've only read this particular Atkins book, so maybe older plans allow more cheese per day...? I don't know if they do or not. But my copy says 3-4 ounces of cheese per day.

I take Advil liqui-gels during my time of month -- I figured it would be a good idea to avoid the sugar-coated capsules. I haven't personally had any problems with taking Advil and making progress on the diet. But I only take 5-8 of the 200mg Advils per month and I only weigh once per month so I don't know what effect, if any, Advil has had on my daily pound loss.

The authors of New Atkins for a New You say:
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), including aspirin, ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil), naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn), and ketoprofen (Orudis) cause water retention and may block fat burning. Other OTC drugs can also interfere with weight loss.

No One Made Me Eat It: Trends and Hard Facts
The authors of New Atkins for a New You -- Stephen Phinney, Jeff Volek, and Eric Westman -- are all researchers and experts on low-carb diets. They don't just write diet books, they all also do university-based clinical studies of ketogenic diets so I believe they know what they're talking about.

But I find this claim about NSAIDs (especially aspirin) a bit strange because bodybuilders commonly take aspirin to increase fat loss while they're on low-carb ketogenic diets. Aspirin is a vasodilator, which is taken to expand blood vessels and support fat transport from fat cells into the muscle tissue that will burn the fat, so bodybuilders specifically "stack" aspirin with other supplements to increase fat loss before competitions. It's extremely common for them to take aspirin before workouts to support increased blood flow and faster tissue recovery after workouts due to aspirin's support of the circulatory flow of nutrients into muscle tissue.

Aspirin also inhibits what's called "prostaglandin synthesis" -- which is one of the reasons people take aspirin to avoid unwanted blood clotting caused by the action of prostaglandins when they are suffering from cardiovascular disease. This effect on prostaglandin activity is important in a fat loss context because prostaglandins can depress the metabolism by inhibiting the work of the hormone norepinephrine (also called noradrenaline). One of the advantages of a low-carb ketogenic diet is the diet's ability to allow higher systemic levels of norepinephrine, which supports a faster metabolic rate. So bodybuilders commonly take aspirin while on low-carb ketogenic diets to support the diet's positive effect on norepinephrine.

I know that aspirin and Advil are two different drugs, but I wanted to point out this information about aspirin because the fact that the New Atkins authors list aspirin, as well as Advil, as drugs that could inhibit fat loss makes me wonder about the accuracy of their claim. Not everything that bodybuilders do to cut fat is effective or advisable (or safe) for the average dieter, but there are legitimate metabolic reasons and supporting clinical studies to show that aspirin supports several mechanisms that contribute to fat burning.

About MIO and Propel -- is Propel sweet tasting, like VitaminWater? I've never had it. As long as it doesn't have sugar or starches in it, I think it's fine. If you don't like plain water, you have to drink something. Some people have a negative response to artificial sweeteners and had blood sugar swings and hunger -- Big Stevie has had some problems, which he has mentioned in this thread. So I think Big Stevie would be a better person to address that issue.

Welcome back to Atkins! Good luck on the journey!
Trillex is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #1098
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 4
Gallery: Em55
Stats: 251/246/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3-5-13
Wow, Straphe - 31lbs in two months? That's fantastic! Congratulations.
Em55 is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #1099
Major LCF Poster!
 
Trillex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 1,200
Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by straphe View Post
So, today marks the two month aniversary of me starting Atkins. Two months, around 31 pounds lost, and just dipped below 200 today. And I celebrated that with a huge pizza.

The main reason I wanted to lose weight was to feel comfortable enough to start going to the gym, and I started going quite regularly three weeks ago, so I was well happy with that. I will definitely keep low carbing, it's without a doubt highly beneficial, but I think I'll have a cheat meal once, at most twice a month, just so that I can kill my cravings and actually continue staying on plan.

My last cheat only stalled me for three days and I only went up one and a half pounds, so hopefully I'll be back in the 100's by early next week, if not sooner. Here's to the next two months!
Congratulations on 31 pounds in two months, Straphe! That's A LOT in a really short amount of time.

Since you're a fast loser, it seems like you have some room to play around and occasionally stray from the plan without derailing your forward progress. I think the main thing that has kept me honest is my slower rate of pound loss. It takes me such a long time to lose a few pounds, off-plan food just doesn't seem worth it to me.

Bodybuilders regularly cycle on and off very low-carb diets and they lose significant amounts of bodyfat without slowing their metabolic burn rate, so some lucky people have that additional flexibility.
Trillex is offline  
Old 03-14-2013, 12:28 AM   #1100
Major LCF Poster!
 
LauraDavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 1,184
Gallery: LauraDavis
Stats: 245.8/190.6/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2013
Straphe - Congrats

Missed ya'll yesterday.. really busy at work. Weighted myself today when I got up... down to 231 so 14#... just seems this is working too well... waiting for the other shoe to drop and loss to stop cold.

Welcome to the new peoples.


B- hamburger/spinach bake
S- summer sausage and cheese
L- 2 hamburger patties from BurgerKing
D- breakfast taco misus the turkey
LauraDavis is offline  
Old 03-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #1101
Major LCF Poster!
 
Rebecca1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indian Trail, North Carolina
Posts: 2,399
Gallery: Rebecca1979
Stats: 286/239/199 (for now!)
WOE: 2208/442 (11/5/13)
Start Date: October 19, 2013
Congrats Laura!

I had a rise in weight (like a pound) which is really weird, because we are following the book! I figured I just over dosed myself on crystal light. I'm down to 237 today and I'm ok with it.. Not discouraged. I think my body is SO metabolically challenged that I have to be careful what I consume (even allowed) at this time.

Breakfast: 3 eggs, Hot Dog (fried) with Franks Red Hot Buffalo Sauce. 23 oz water.
Rebecca1979 is offline  
Old 03-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #1102
Major LCF Poster!
 
Trillex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 1,200
Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraDavis View Post
Straphe - Congrats

Missed ya'll yesterday.. really busy at work. Weighted myself today when I got up... down to 231 so 14#... just seems this is working too well... waiting for the other shoe to drop and loss to stop cold.

Welcome to the new peoples.


B- hamburger/spinach bake
S- summer sausage and cheese
L- 2 hamburger patties from BurgerKing
D- breakfast taco misus the turkey
You're losing really well, Laura, because your menus are always fantastic! Your food always sounds delicious and your nutrition is always on point. Go, girl!
Trillex is offline  
Old 03-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #1103
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 4
Gallery: Em55
Stats: 251/246/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3-5-13
Can I get some feedback on my menu's? (I'm nervous you're all going to gasp at how much food I'm eating):
yesterday
B-2.5 cups of coffee, 3 slices bacon
L-2 oz cheddar cheese and 5 slices sandwich size pepperoni (2 oz), 1/2 cup sf jello and 1/2 cup sf whipped cream
SN - 1.5 oz pork rinds dipped in 2TB ranch dressing
D-salmon, asparagus, cucumbers
SN-1 cup sf jello, 1/2 cup sf whipped cream

today
B-2 scrambled eggs with cheese and mushrooms, 3 pieces bacon
L-steak, salad with O&V
SN-1/2 cup jello, 1/2 cup whipped cream; 5 slices pepperoni and 2 deviled eggs
D-pork chop, salad
SN-1 cup jello, whipped cream
Em55 is offline  
Old 03-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #1104
Junior LCF Member
 
dynaMOna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 27
Gallery: dynaMOna
Stats: 314/?/260
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 3, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
Just wondering... Is it one of those special, digital scales? I don't currently own a scale but when my trainer leaves me in May, I will need one. I've been looking at the scale that coordinates with the fitbit. So I was wondering if you have that one or a similar one. I've been weighing in on one of those big, medical, balance-type scales at the gym, but I don't have room for that kind of scale.
I've got a digital scale, and when I weigh, I've got to get on at least 3 times to try and get the same number at least twice. Maybe I'll just start weighing every couple weeks at the Dr's office instead and chuck this thing. That way I won't tempted to get on and get all these varying reading that just end up disappointing me anyway.
dynaMOna is offline  
Old 03-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #1105
Senior LCF Member
 
Big Stevie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 851
Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
Em55, you are doing fine for now. Eat as much as you need to stay sissified. You will start to eat less as your body chemistry changes. Be patient and just focus on grams of carbs for now. What the cream. It can stall folks. Although I eat it regularly without issue.
Big Stevie is offline  
Old 03-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #1106
Major LCF Poster!
 
Trillex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 1,200
Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em55 View Post
Can I get some feedback on my menu's? (I'm nervous you're all going to gasp at how much food I'm eating):
yesterday
B-2.5 cups of coffee, 3 slices bacon
L-2 oz cheddar cheese and 5 slices sandwich size pepperoni (2 oz), 1/2 cup sf jello and 1/2 cup sf whipped cream
SN - 1.5 oz pork rinds dipped in 2TB ranch dressing
D-salmon, asparagus, cucumbers
SN-1 cup sf jello, 1/2 cup sf whipped cream

today
B-2 scrambled eggs with cheese and mushrooms, 3 pieces bacon
L-steak, salad with O&V
SN-1/2 cup jello, 1/2 cup whipped cream; 5 slices pepperoni and 2 deviled eggs
D-pork chop, salad
SN-1 cup jello, whipped cream
I would just point out that if you're following Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution, my copy of the book limits daily cream intake to "three ounces of unsweetened heavy cream." A half cup would be 4 fluid ounces. So depending on the volume before the cream is whipped, you may be going beyond the induction limit.

I don't know if that will be a problem for you, or not. I just wanted to point out the guideline.

Reading your menu just made me crave pepperoni with provolone!
Trillex is offline  
Old 03-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #1107
Major LCF Poster!
 
Trillex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 1,200
Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaMOna View Post
I've got a digital scale, and when I weigh, I've got to get on at least 3 times to try and get the same number at least twice. Maybe I'll just start weighing every couple weeks at the Dr's office instead and chuck this thing. That way I won't tempted to get on and get all these varying reading that just end up disappointing me anyway.
Thanks for this info! I guess I'll just keep getting weighed at the gym...
Trillex is offline  
Old 03-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #1108
Junior LCF Member
 
indigocrush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: TX
Posts: 11
Gallery: indigocrush
Stats: 186/183/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2013
I thought I would check in. I am on Day 5 of Induction. The first 3 days were a little rough--headaches and low, low energy. I'm on Spring Break, so it made it easier to nap and just take it easy. It made all the difference starting Induction this week instead of during the semester when I am crazy busy. I'm drinking lots of water and using Nuun (electrolyte enhanced drink tabs). Nuun has sorbitol in it so I only use one tab a day. One tab is good for 16 oz. of water. I'm also using the l-glutamine and chromium. The sugar cravings has subsided quite a bit. I'm also feeling fuller and don't get as hungry between meals. I also use the keto strips---I find that going to medium pink or purple is a big motivator.

I've also downloaded the Atkins app on my iPod Touch and have been tracking everything there. Some days it is hard to keep right at 20. I've been over by 2 to 3 carbs. I'm holding steady today. I just like those veggies so much!

I'm really inspired by all the success stories and positive words in this forum. When I'm feeling the urge to break Induction or just feeling low, I come on to LCF and read posts. It is good to know I'm not alone in this.

Spring Break is coming to an end and I have a paper due tonight. Time to hit the books again!
indigocrush is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #1109
Senior LCF Member
 
Big Stevie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 851
Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
Hang in there Indigocrush. You sould be feeling really good soon. More enegergy than before. Be patient. Since you are busy, make sure you cook stuff on the weekends so you always have food ready to go. You can do this!
Big Stevie is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #1110
Major LCF Poster!
 
Trillex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 1,200
Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigocrush View Post
I thought I would check in. I am on Day 5 of Induction. The first 3 days were a little rough--headaches and low, low energy. I'm on Spring Break, so it made it easier to nap and just take it easy. It made all the difference starting Induction this week instead of during the semester when I am crazy busy. I'm drinking lots of water and using Nuun (electrolyte enhanced drink tabs). Nuun has sorbitol in it so I only use one tab a day. One tab is good for 16 oz. of water. I'm also using the l-glutamine and chromium. The sugar cravings has subsided quite a bit. I'm also feeling fuller and don't get as hungry between meals. I also use the keto strips---I find that going to medium pink or purple is a big motivator.

I've also downloaded the Atkins app on my iPod Touch and have been tracking everything there. Some days it is hard to keep right at 20. I've been over by 2 to 3 carbs. I'm holding steady today. I just like those veggies so much!

I'm really inspired by all the success stories and positive words in this forum. When I'm feeling the urge to break Induction or just feeling low, I come on to LCF and read posts. It is good to know I'm not alone in this.

Spring Break is coming to an end and I have a paper due tonight. Time to hit the books again!
With the Nuun and tracking, you're already a pro at this! That is so awesome!

As long as you remember that your health is just as important as your studies and your commitments to students, you'll do great. As a stronger and healthier student and teacher, you'll be a better student and teacher.
Trillex is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:22 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.