Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 06:04 AM   #991
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraDavis View Post
thanks for the tip.. happen to know the carb count on that?
1 ounce of unsweetened, dried, flaked coconut =
227 calories
8g carbs
4g fiber
2g sugar
21g fat
19g saturated fat
2g protein

I measure by weight because I don't trust volume measurements for consistency in baking. I know it's weird! But that's how my mom taught me to cook.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #992
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3Kids4me
Stats: 202/196/155
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: March 1, 2013
So what did you all eat today?

I had coffee with coconut oil and cream first, then around 11:00 I had an omelet with sausage and cheddar. That held me until about 4:00 pm and I had three slices of salami with some melted oaxaca cheese. I knew I was planning an evening workout and wanted to wait to eat after that. I lifted and ran from 6-7 or so and then had some leftover chicken curry and some pork rinds with sour cream.

Total carbs were probably close to 10 for the day, just that sort of day. I need to plan my meals a bit better.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:13 AM   #993
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: straphe
Stats: 231/194.5/187
WOE: Atkins induction
Start Date: 15 January 2013
Experimented with macadamia nuts yesterday, as I try to figure out what I can eat at work before going to the gym - I'm up more than 2 pounds today! The only thing I changed in the way I eat yesterday was the nuts, so I'm positive that that's what made me gain.

I'm so pissed at them now. I was almost down in the 100's, had a solid downward trend, and those damn nuts...! Anyway, hopefully this gain will melt away fast. And no more nuts for me, that's for sure.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:03 AM   #994
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LauraDavis
Stats: 245.8/190.6/145
Start Date: March 2013
Thank you Trillex. I'll go get some coconut to keep on hand.

Straphe - can you post the recipe for the bark... might help Terry out with some cravings.

3kids4me - Todays menu.....

B- Chicken fingers with stuffed Poblano Peppers (cream cheese, cheddar cheese and spinach)

L- Steak and leftover Peppers

B- Egg MockMuffin
Old 03-06-2013, 06:50 AM   #995
Senior LCF Member

Straphe,

Not discounting the nuts, but what did you do at the gym? Lifting hard or hard enough interval work will bump me up 2 lbs in water weight easily. Worked muscles hold water. And I carry a lot of muscle.

Just another possibility.

JM
Old 03-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #996
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Kids4me View Post
So what did you all eat today?
I made a really good soup yesterday. I had some langostinos. I put a cup of chicken stock in the pan and melted a tablespoon of cream cheese in it to give the broth some creaminess. I put in 50g of shredded onion, 1/2 tsp minced garlic, 1/2 tsp dried tarragon, 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, and I let it simmer for a bit to mingle the flavors. Then I added 174g of langostinos and 100g of chopped broccoli and a cup of water. I stirred it all together and let it simmer in a 300-degree oven for 30 minutes. It was very tasty! That was dinner.

I had some grilled catfish, which I blackened with a blend of ground chiles. I chopped the filet up when it was done and tossed it with some chopped, baked brussels sprouts. That was lunch. I don't know if most people would enjoy that, but I really like the texture of the brussels sprouts with catfish.

I didn't have breakfast. I work out in the fasted state on some days. My trainer has let me get away with this since my sixth month because I should be keto-adapted at this point, and because my brothers both prefer to lift in the fasted state. They say they get a bigger pump when they lift while fasted and I feel that, too. So I think there may be some genetic aspect to it. When I work out fasted, I have 8 ounces of liquid Isopure afterwards and a BCAA supplement. My brothers and my trainer all think BCAAs are a worthless marketing ploy but Martin Berkhan -- the nutrition guru of fasted weight training -- recommends BCAAs after a fasted workout, so I take the supplement.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #997
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bethanyblondie
Stats: 255/173/140
WOE: I have the Lap Band/Atkin's
Start Date: Restarted 1/28/2013
Sorry I've been out of the loop the last couple of days. We are doing state testing at my school this week, and even as the music teacher...I get to help proctor tests! There are NO electronics allowed during testing, so my computer time will be limited this week.

I was up a couple of pounds today. I know why and I should be back down by the end of the week, so I'm not worried. I have some inspiration to keep losing the best I can in the next month and a half, because there is a part in a show (my husband and I do community theater) that I would love to go for...so I'll be staying very strict!
Old 03-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #998
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LKey
Stats: 262/251/140
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 02/25/2013
Hi everyone...

I ate this way few years back....so back again ..i know it works. Been reading all your threads last 2 weeks and decided to join in. So hello and good to meet all.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #999
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: straphe
Stats: 231/194.5/187
WOE: Atkins induction
Start Date: 15 January 2013
@3kids4me, I did briefly consider that the gym had to do something with my weightbump, but I did what I usually do: around 10-15 mins of cardio (running and rowing), then did some leg and chest exercises, nothing unusual. And what really bothers me is that I was losing around a pound per day, and then gain 2 overnight? Even with the nuts, I didn't ovestep the 20g limit.

@LauraDavis, if you search for coconut bark on the forum, you'll get around a **** tonne of recipes. I opted for the very basic recipe: 3 Tbls coconut oil, 1 Tbls unsweetend cocoa, Splenda to taste. Melt the CO and stir in the cocoa, put it in the freezer. It wasn't heavenly, it definitely could be improved (as so many people did), but it was okay for a first try. Also, have a search for fat bombs - I liked those better.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #1000
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by straphe View Post
@3kids4me, I did briefly consider that the gym had to do something with my weightbump, but I did what I usually do: around 10-15 mins of cardio (running and rowing), then did some leg and chest exercises, nothing unusual. And what really bothers me is that I was losing around a pound per day, and then gain 2 overnight? Even with the nuts, I didn't ovestep the 20g limit.
I have a terrible relationship with the scale, lol. Honestly. I can lose inches like mad, be down a clothing size, and have the scale bump up and down the same 2 lbs for weeks. I go up a bit mid-cycle with ovulation hormones, I go up after a challenging workout, I go up if I'm not sleeping as well, or my salt is too low (sodium supplementation is really important on a ketogenic diet), etc. etc. But I'm losing fat during that time. I know I didn't gain fat or stop losing fat based on those numbers if I'm doing everything right!

JM
Old 03-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #1001
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LKey
Stats: 262/251/140
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 02/25/2013
Although this my 2nd time on atkins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezie View Post
Hi All. I thought I would start a thread for people like me who are brand new to Atkins (or back after many years) and who need support, guiadance from more experienced members, accountability, tips, ideas, recipes, menus, cyberhugs, etc. We can share our weight loss goals and cheer each other on!
Denise
Im trying to find my way around and how to post...so hello to ya..
Old 03-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #1002
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by straphe View Post
I'm probably the least qualified person to have an opinion on this because I only weigh once per month, and I've been weighing only once per month since I started the diet so I have no idea what my scale fluctuations look like. With that said, though, here's my $0.02:

There's no possible way that eating a few macadamia nuts caused you to gain 2 pounds of fat overnight. Given your diet, that is physically impossible. If you read about sumo wrestlers, they're experts on fat gaining and, even though they spend huge amounts of time and money and tons of food to quickly gain fat, they struggle to gain 2 pounds of fat in a single day. So I believe I can say with absolute certainty that your 2 pound *macadamia nut* fluctuation has nothing to do with additional fat.

It is probably just a simple, natural, normal fluctuation in your body's water balance. I know that losing excess retained water is helpful because it can take pressure off the joints and back. And I know that many dieters avoid sodium or anything that they believe will cause them to retain water in any way but, personally, I don't think that is necessary for me. Because my weight problem is the result of too much fat, not too much water. If I ever get to the point where my bodyfat level is healthy and normal, but I'm retaining excess water, then I will address the water problem at that time. For now, my focus is on what's happening to my bodyfat because those are the changes that are going to change my body and health status for the better.

Human bodies will always be comprised of large amounts of water. The water will ebb and flow, come and go. But a healthy human body doesn't carry the amount of fat that I'm currently carrying. And that knowledge helps me keep scale losses in perspective, while looking at additional data points like my physical measurements, clothing size, and health markers.

Also, I would like to say that I've spent most of my life living with bodybuilders. Honestly, if you spent one single month living with a bodybuilder during a pre-contest cycle, you would never again trust a scale to tell you anything significant about bodyfat. Those guys gain or lose 10, 15, or 20 pounds overnight just by doing little *tricks* that either add or drain water weight. Part of being a successful competitive bodybuilder is learning ways to pack water into muscle tissue in order to gain volume and definition, etc. And another part is learning ways to dehydrate the surface level in order to show off the veins and striations, etc. I think most people would be genuinely amazed at the way that things other than bodyfat affect scale weight. Bodybuilders take these processes to an extreme, so it's easy to see the impact. But every body has these fluctuations to a certain extent.

In my opinion, if eliminating nuts will eliminate this type of gain and help you to see your progress more clearly, then you should totally do that. But you should also be aware of the fact that this type of scale gain isn't a setback with regard to your progress toward your goal of lower bodyfat. Two pounds overnight is a fluctuation, not a fat gain.

Last edited by Trillex; 03-06-2013 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: Forgot to say "of fat"
Old 03-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #1003
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKey View Post
I ate this way few years back....so back again ..i know it works. Been reading all your threads last 2 weeks and decided to join in. So hello and good to meet all.
Hello! Welcome! Nice to meet you, too!
Old 03-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #1004
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanyblondie View Post
Sorry I've been out of the loop the last couple of days. We are doing state testing at my school this week, and even as the music teacher...I get to help proctor tests! There are NO electronics allowed during testing, so my computer time will be limited this week.

I was up a couple of pounds today. I know why and I should be back down by the end of the week, so I'm not worried. I have some inspiration to keep losing the best I can in the next month and a half, because there is a part in a show (my husband and I do community theater) that I would love to go for...so I'll be staying very strict!
Stay strong, Bethany! Aren't you planning a Hawaiian vacation, too? Or am I misremembering?
Old 03-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #1005
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dynaMOna
Stats: 314/?/260
Start Date: March 3, 2013
Hello, I definitely need some support and reminding that I need to be patient and let induction work!

I have been doing lo carb since January without weight loss. Took some advice I read here, and read Atkins New Diet Revolution (2002) and properly started induction 4 days ago. I also had an accident in December that has kept me from being physically active, and helped me put on another 30lbs, so that is a bit depressing.

I've got this crazy idea that Atkins isn't going to work...that I'll be in that tiny percentile of people. I sure hope I'm wrong! I am trying very hard to stay away from the scale, and took my measurements when I started. This thread is filled with positive people, and I soon hope to become one of them!
Old 03-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #1006
Senior LCF Member

Trillex--

Have you or your trainer read anything credible on long term low carb being a problem for the thyroid? Or is that more of a function of very low calories? Or becoming more insulin resistant over time so that adding carbs back in eventually causes faster fat regains.

I'm over-reading things on the internet, and of course everyone has an opinion on low carb and ketogenic diets.

I'm personally comfortable with my carb and calorie intake right now, though it's early days for me still back in induction. But I've struggled with the yo-yo since losing my first 60 lbs and want what I lose from now until goal weight to stay off but walk away with a healthy metabolism and sustainable way of eating. I'm trusting Dr. Atkins carb ladder to get me there this time!

--JM
Old 03-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #1007
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Trillex--

Have you or your trainer read anything credible on long term low carb being a problem for the thyroid? Or is that more of a function of very low calories? Or becoming more insulin resistant over time so that adding carbs back in eventually causes faster fat regains.

I'm over-reading things on the internet, and of course everyone has an opinion on low carb and ketogenic diets.

I'm personally comfortable with my carb and calorie intake right now, though it's early days for me still back in induction. But I've struggled with the yo-yo since losing my first 60 lbs and want what I lose from now until goal weight to stay off but walk away with a healthy metabolism and sustainable way of eating. I'm trusting Dr. Atkins carb ladder to get me there this time!

--JM
I think most of the information about metabolic down-regulation needs to be put into context, because a lot depends on the dieter's starting bodyfat level and on the composition of what people are actually eating.

Bodybuilders definitely experience extreme down-regulation of thyroid function and of the metabolic mechanisms related to the sympathetic nervous system (SNS) after a few weeks of consistent very low-carb dieting. Until the 1970s, the standard "cutting" diet (used for decades) was called the "fish and water" diet, which was comprised of pretty much just low-fat fish, flax oil, and drinking lots of water. That diet was great for fat cutting for a few weeks -- and bodybuilders lost very little muscle tissue on the diet -- but fat loss would come to a screeching halt after a few weeks, no matter what calorie level the dieter was eating at. They tried drugs to extend the fat loss period, but drugs couldn't stop the down-regulation. There was an animal steroid that could dramatically increase fat loss during the initial few weeks (while preserving muscle tissue), and that drug was extremely popular for many years, but it couldn't stop the down-regulation problem that always eventually occurred.

In the 1970s, Mauro di Pasquale -- a bodybuilder, coach, researcher, and physician -- discovered that adding regular high-carb re-feeds to a very low-carb diet stopped the metabolic down-regulation and could keep fat loss going for indefinite periods. In the 1980s, Dan Duchaine -- a bodybuilder and bodybuilding coach / training consultant -- built on Di Pasquale's (and Michael Zumpano's) work and discovered that there were ways to optimize both the low-carb feeds and the high-carb re-feeds to achieve better results. Today, most standard bodybuilding "cutting" diets still build on these principles that were developed back in the 1970s and 1980s -- because they work really well.

Duchaine found that calorie level also had a significant impact, but in the opposite way that people thought. Ducahine found that cutting below a certain calorie deficit during a low-carb cycle meant *less* fat loss in a given period of time and *increased* the potential for muscle tissue loss. So one of Duchaine's innovations was to add larger amounts of fat to the low-carb feeds. Counter-intuitively, more calories during the cutting phase (but still fewer calories than maintenance level) produced greater fat loss. When Duchaine found that cutting calories too low caused some level of bodyfat conservation or metabolic down-regulation, the composition of "cutting" diets changed from just fish and water to protein and fat and water. And Duchaine's high-carb re-feeds carefully timed the feedings and changed the type of re-feed sugars in a way that preferentially re-fed glycogen stores (and over-filled muscle glycogen) without converting the excess food into fat. This change was a major historic moment in the history of modern bodybuilding because *regular* people -- not just the *metabolically gifted* -- could cut down to 3% bodyfat. Before Di Pasquale and Zumpano and Duchaine, only really gifted bodies -- using lots of drugs -- could cut that low. Today, it's common to cut that low.

Bodybuilders are often used as models for mechanisms of fat cutting because their training journals and bodyfat scans provide a lot of hard data. And unlike most dieters (outside a clinical setting), bodybuilders will religiously stick to their diets and eat exactly what they *report* they're eating. But bodybuilders are not an appropriate model for people who have normal to large amounts of bodyfat because bodybuilders typically start dieting with bodyfat levels that are below 10%. As a result of having such low levels of bodyfat, their hormone profiles are completely different than those of a person who has larger amounts of bodyfat and they are prone to levels of down-regulation that people with higher levels of bodyfat don't *typically* experience.

Dieters with normal to large amounts of bodyfat don't *seem* to suffer the same level of metabolic down-regulation that bodybuilders experience. Lyle McDonald -- a bodybuilding consultant -- has pointed out discrepancies in the down-regulation data between "lean" dieters and "overweight" dieters. For some reason, most of the long-term studies of metabolic down-regulation use lean, male dieters -- "regular" guys. But studies of obese dieters don't show the same, dramatic level of SNS and thyroid down-regulation.

This is complicated, though, because large studies of obesity show that overweight dieters *start* with less SNS output, so they (generally) start with relatively slower metabolisms. However, tests of adrenal receptor function show that obese dieters continue to produce more of the metabolic stimulants while dieting -- epinephrine and norepinephrine, especially -- than lean dieters, so the metabolic burn rate in obese dieters stays consistently higher (relative to the original rate) than lean dieters (until obese dieters lose significant percentages of bodyfat, when they suffer greater down-regulation). These adrenal receptor studies led to the discovery of "beta 3" adrenal receptors in the 1980s, which were previously unknown, and which are not as prone to down-regulation as other adrenal receptors.
the beta 3AR subtype was resistant to agonist-mediated sequestration, downregulation, and desensitization. Thus, when endogenously expressed in the same cell line, human beta 1AR and beta 3AR display differences in their ability to be regulated by agonist.

Endogenous beta 3- but not beta 1-adrenergic rec... [Cell Signal. 1996] - PubMed - NCBI
An adrenal "agonist" is a compound, like the hormones epinephrine or norepinephrine, that activates the adrenal receptor and stimulates the metabolic rate. Beta 3 receptors are primarily located in fatty tissue -- and they don't down-regulate as readily as the other adrenal receptors -- so dieters with higher levels of bodyfat don't down-regulate metabolic function as readily as dieters with lower levels of bodyfat (partly) because their beta 3 receptors keep the metabolic systems elevated for a longer period of time.

Also, it just takes more energy for the muscles to lift larger amounts of body weight during normal activities.

However, all dieters -- regardless of bodyfat percentage -- experience down-regulation of the hormone leptin after a period of *calorie* restriction -- this is not disputed or even questioned by anyone because the research data consistently supports this conclusion. Lyle McDonald says -- based on his extensive research and his reviews of the massive amounts of published data that he cites in several books (including The Ketogenic Diet, The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook, The Stubborn Fat Solution) -- that cutting *carbohydrates* also causes leptin down-regulation that can't be reversed by raising calories, but which can only be reversed by a period of higher-carb re-feeding. McDonald isn't an expert on obesity -- which he admits -- but he says that, according to his research, obese dieters can cut carbs and/or calories for longer periods of time, while maintaining optimal metabolic function, but that they should (must) eventually have higher-carb/higher-calorie intervals to raise leptin levels and restore optimal metabolic function.
In addition to being related to the amount of bodyfat you have, leptin levels are also related to how much you’re eating. For example, in response to dieting, leptin levels may drop by 50% within a week (or less) although you obviously haven’t lost 50% of your bodyfat. After that initial rapid drop, there is a slower decrease in leptin related to the loss of bodyfat that is occurring. In response to overfeeding, leptin tends to rebound equally quickly. In contrast to what you might think, it looks like leptin production by fat cells is mainly determined by glucose availability (you’d think it was fat intake). So whenever you start pulling glucose out of the fat cell (dieting), leptin levels go down, when you drive glucose into fat cells, it goes up.

Calorie Partitioning: Part 1 | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
McDonald's conclusion is based on a general observation of metabolic function. It isn't clinically proven because there just aren't enough comprehensive, long-term, clinical studies of low-carb diets to establish, from a research perspective, whether or not what McDonald is assuming to be true is actually true. In his book, Bromocriptine, McDonald cites some fascinating studies about leptin down-regulation and up-regulation but none of the studies were done under low-carb conditions, so I don't think we can definitively apply the data to the context of a low-carb diet. Would periodically raising fat calories, while keeping carbs very low, be enough to raise leptin levels? I don't think anyone knows.

I'm no expert but, based on what I've read, low-carb dieting doesn't/shouldn't increase long-term insulin resistance. Sustained periods of very low-carb dieting DOES down-regulate the production of the enzymes that metabolize glucose, while significantly up-regulating the production of the enzymes that metabolize fat -- because the human body adjusts (over time) to better manage the predominant fuel source.

This is why people who take a "glucose tolerance test" (GTT) after sustained periods of very low-carb eating get ridiculously abnormal test results -- because the body doesn't have a sufficient amount of enzymes in circulation to quickly manage large influxes of glucose. But this isn't a permanent condition. Eating more carbohydrates for a sustained period of time up-regulates the necessary enzymes and the system returns to normal. There are some indigenous groups who normally eat a relatively low amount of dietary carbohydrates so, when medical people test these tribes for diabetes, they have to pre-feed them carbohydrates for several days before giving them a glucose tolerance test because this population would ordinarily have a lower level of the necessary glucose-processing enzymes.
The NDDG and the WHO recommend that individuals undergoing an oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) consume a minimum of 150 gm of carbohydrate on each of three days preceding the OGTT. Carbohydrate restriction affects the diagnostic accuracy of the OGTT.

The impact of low carbohydrate consumption on ... [Med Anthropol. 1989] - PubMed - NCBI
One thing that we *can* learn from bodybuilding practice is that it is possible to re-feed dietary carbohydrates in a way that directs them into glycogen storage, rather than fat storage, following periods of carbohydrate restriction. Carefully re-feeding carbohydrates, following a ketogenic period, allows bodybuilders to re-stock glycogen stores without adding bodyfat -- this is a key principle that has gotten bodybuilders pumped up for competition for the past 40 years. Their bodyfat has to be low but their glycogen has to be pumped up for size and definition.

I don't think it's *necessary* for the average, overweight, or obese person to do a bodybuilding type of re-feed -- and I don't know if a body that is more prone to fat storage than a lean bodybuilder could/would have the same re-feed results. But we do know that it's *possible* to re-feed massive amounts of carbohydrates (bodybuilding re-feeds typically contain hundreds of grams of carbohydrates per day) without adding bodyfat after a ketogenic cycle. So cutting carbohydrates doesn't appear to damage the normal storage systems. In fact, bodybuilders and endurance athletes who cut carbs and re-feed to "super-compensate" their glycogen storage capabilities have shown that repeated periods of carbohydrate restriction and muscle glycogen depletion increase the human body's capacity to store additional glycogen, which allows them to take in more dietary carbohydrates on subsequent re-feeds without converting the excess into stored fat.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #1008
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaMOna View Post
Hello, I definitely need some support and reminding that I need to be patient and let induction work!

I have been doing lo carb since January without weight loss. Took some advice I read here, and read Atkins New Diet Revolution (2002) and properly started induction 4 days ago. I also had an accident in December that has kept me from being physically active, and helped me put on another 30lbs, so that is a bit depressing.

I've got this crazy idea that Atkins isn't going to work...that I'll be in that tiny percentile of people. I sure hope I'm wrong! I am trying very hard to stay away from the scale, and took my measurements when I started. This thread is filled with positive people, and I soon hope to become one of them!
I had the book (Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution, 2002) from the beginning -- I carefully read it and took notes during the month before I started the diet -- and I think that made a big difference. Actually eating foods from the induction list, rather than just reading labels and cutting carbs, I think makes the plan work better. Without the book, I could see myself trying to eat part of a potato or a certain amount of gelato to stay within my carb range, and I don't think that would have worked as well because I don't think that would have done what my body needed to do to become keto-adapted.

To be honest, I've only used the book and I haven't tried to cutting carbs by eating off-plan foods so I guess I can't really say what would work and what wouldn't work with regard to cutting carbs. But I do know that following the book has been pretty easy and very effective for me.

Good luck! Welcome to Atkins!
Old 03-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #1009
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
Good luck! Welcome to Atkins!
Thank you! Your support is so helpful, and knowing that you did it let's me know that I can too.

I'm doing my best to keep my head in today, and stick to the induction food list, which isn't difficult actually. I saw there's a thread with recipes that I will check out when I get bored, but so far no problem with food. I do read a lot about flax though. I hear it has nearly zero net carbs, however I also see people mentioning that it may cause them to stall. I think I'll wait until I start seeing some actual weight loss of my own before I start futzing with it.

I'm looking forward to some success, praying for it actually!
Old 03-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #1010
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wistyluv
Start Date: August 07
Hello everyone!

I'm going to try once again to lose weight with atkins. I actually love most of the food that you have the freedom to eat. Its not the lackof or cravings for the forbidden that seem to do me in. The diffrence this time around? Support! Lol. I havent ever tried to do it while reaching out for help. I had emerchancy surgery last year & almost didnt make it twice. So after 3 weeks in ICU & 3 weeks in reg room I couldnt wait to get home. I'm at 260lbs would love to be down to 140lbs. I have abdominal & pelvic adhesions. (think of a rubberyband superglue type thing that makes your insides all stick together and pulling it into shapes & places your intestines shouldnt be at). Alot of pain meds daily. Sorry if TMI

Please help me have the emotional strength to stick with this.

As far as reg info..... I'm 53 married almost 30 years 2 daughters that are married and 2 lovely granddaughters from my eldest daughter. I go over to my daughters house at 6am to take care of my sweeties. Am homeschooling the eldest (5yrs) and take care of the youngest(2yrs). I dont get home till about 6pm. Hubby still wants a good home cooked meal & that is where I start to break down at. Can barely cook 1 meal not 2 diffrent meals. I feeled blessed to be with my grandchildren everyday yet when I get home after 12hrs all I want to do is sleep or watch some tv and read.

Whew! Just realized this wasnt supposed to be a book! Lol. Just wanted to say Hello! And cant wait to get to know you all. Looking forward to hearing from ya and finding our inner selves we all cant wait to know.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #1011
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LauraDavis
Stats: 245.8/190.6/145
Start Date: March 2013
Welcome Lkey and dynaMona, glad you joined us. Listen to me actin like I'm an old pro... LOL. I'm new myself. It's always great to have more people to talk to.

Straphe - thanks found tons of recipes... man do i love recipes!!!!!!! I think I have around 6 months worth of dinner recipes before i have to start repeating anything...

Menu for today

B- steak fajitas and mexican "rice" the rice was YUMMY!!!! the fajitas I think next time I'll stick to my seasonings, I like them better.

L- leftovers

Snack- HB egg

D- Egg MockMuffins again.

Gonna get creative tomorrow and whip up something new I'm thinking an egg "pancake" spread with cream cheese mixed with green onions and then bacon crumbled over the top of the cream cheese, then roll them up.

My muscles are feeling a lil weak today... figure it's my body adjusting. Just hope it goes away soon, I have too much to do to keep having to taking breaks. Becasuse of time limitations and the weak feeling I didn't workout today... I know "bad girl". Hope tomorrow is better.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #1012
Senior LCF Member

Awesome information, Trillex, thanks so much for putting some of those words and concepts into a bodybuilding context for me. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer in so much detail!

I most likely need to just stop worrying about some of these things until I'm really close to a goal weight and pretty lean. I wish there were more stories and books about fairly active people using Atkins, the book itself seems to assume very casual recreational exercise, not running 5-10k or lifting serious weights. I've read the Volek and Phinney Performance book, but it seems to assume one is already at goal weight! I'm 30+ lbs from goal weight and want to be a serious fitness geek. Where's my book?

But obviously Induction has worked just fantastically for you while training seriously. There's no reason it shouldn't work for me. I get so tangled up in the end, will I want to be in nutritional ketosis long term? Forever? Will I want to climb the carb ladder to see how high my carbs can be even if it takes me out of ketosis? Those sorts of speculations are what keep tripping me up.

--JM
Old 03-07-2013, 07:37 AM   #1013
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

My muscles are feeling a lil weak today... figure it's my body adjusting. Just hope it goes away soon, I have too much to do to keep having to taking breaks. Becasuse of time limitations and the weak feeling I didn't workout today... I know "bad girl". Hope tomorrow is better.
Make sure you're getting some broth or extra salt. That's almost always the #1 reason I start feeling weak or "carb fluish". Magnesium and potassium are also important supplements, but man, the sodium is the main one I feel if I don't get extra every couple of days.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #1014
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistyluv View Post
Hello everyone!

I'm going to try once again to lose weight with atkins. I actually love most of the food that you have the freedom to eat. Its not the lackof or cravings for the forbidden that seem to do me in. The diffrence this time around? Support! Lol. I havent ever tried to do it while reaching out for help. I had emerchancy surgery last year & almost didnt make it twice. So after 3 weeks in ICU & 3 weeks in reg room I couldnt wait to get home. I'm at 260lbs would love to be down to 140lbs. I have abdominal & pelvic adhesions. (think of a rubberyband superglue type thing that makes your insides all stick together and pulling it into shapes & places your intestines shouldnt be at). Alot of pain meds daily. Sorry if TMI

As far as reg info..... I'm 53 married almost 30 years 2 daughters that are married and 2 lovely granddaughters from my eldest daughter. I go over to my daughters house at 6am to take care of my sweeties. Am homeschooling the eldest (5yrs) and take care of the youngest(2yrs). I dont get home till about 6pm. Hubby still wants a good home cooked meal & that is where I start to break down at. Can barely cook 1 meal not 2 diffrent meals. I feeled blessed to be with my grandchildren everyday yet when I get home after 12hrs all I want to do is sleep or watch some tv and read.

Whew! Just realized this wasnt supposed to be a book! Lol. Just wanted to say Hello! And cant wait to get to know you all. Looking forward to hearing from ya and finding our inner selves we all cant wait to know.
Welcome!

I agree that support is critical to success. Especially when one chooses a counter-cultural way of eating.

Can you prep dinner at your daughter's house to take home? I homeschool my four kids (11, 10, 8, 4) and I don't start at 6 am! No wonder you're beat. I'd want to crash at 6 pm too. What a gift you're giving your daughter and grandchildren by being their caregiver. I hope you can work out how to do meals at home that aren't so much effort in the evenings.

What about a crock pot on a timer? You could assemble things the night before, and refrigerate, and then dump things in the crock when you head out in the morning. Or maybe your husband could take care of some of the prep if he leaves a bit later than you do.

--JM
Old 03-07-2013, 08:06 AM   #1015
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaMOna View Post
Thank you! Your support is so helpful, and knowing that you did it let's me know that I can too.

I'm doing my best to keep my head in today, and stick to the induction food list, which isn't difficult actually. I saw there's a thread with recipes that I will check out when I get bored, but so far no problem with food. I do read a lot about flax though. I hear it has nearly zero net carbs, however I also see people mentioning that it may cause them to stall. I think I'll wait until I start seeing some actual weight loss of my own before I start futzing with it.

I'm looking forward to some success, praying for it actually!
Welcome. You should be losing weight if you are eating from the induction food list and staying under 20 grams of carbs. However for some people it is still possible to over eat and get too many calories. Dr. Atkins discusses this in the book. Please post your menus here and/or put your menus into an on line tracker to ensure you are eating within the plan and at a reasonable calorie level. Also make sure you are drinking lots of water.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #1016
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
Wow lot of new folks, we are growing. Great.

I have had a tough week. My mother-in-law had a minor stroke and is in the hospital. My wife has been gone for 48 hours. The extra stress has really caused me problems. Trying to get life done without my wife to do her part has been hard. On top of it, we don't have much food in the house right now and i don't have the time to shop. I ended up getting fast ford for the kids dinner but of course it is a struggle to eat Atkins at Taco Bell. I ended up eating a can of tuna. Never before had I been so tempted just to say screw it and eat some burritos.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #1017
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Gonna get creative tomorrow and whip up something new I'm thinking an egg "pancake" spread with cream cheese mixed with green onions and then bacon crumbled over the top of the cream cheese, then roll them up.

I'm the QUEEN of the egg and cream cheese "crepes" for breakfast! I wrap meat and veggies inside them and freeze them, so I can quickly heat them up for breakfast. They're my number one breakfast choice because they're so quick and easy and filling. I was never a big bread eater, but it really does help to have something to hold the food in.

I would also like to second JM's recommendation -- if you're feeling any ill effects, like muscle weakness, you should immediately have some salty broth. For the long-term, I would also recommend that you buy a comprehensive, sugar-free, starch-free electrolyte supplement. Very low-carb eating changes the way that the body manages sodium, which leads to imbalances in other electrolytes, which can lead to muscle weakness and/or feelings of illness.

Jeff Volek, a researcher who co-wrote the book The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance, warns that:
Individuals on low carb diets often do not have enough sodium in their diets. Keto adapted kidneys excrete more sodium. In an effort to retain sodium, the body will then excrete potassium which can affect muscle protein balance negatively. This disturbed mineral management can also affect magnesium balance. Suboptimal magnesium levels in cells are linked with muscle twitches and cramps. Thus if one is not careful in ensuring adequate sodium intake this can cause problems in mineral balance in the body.

http://www.apec-s.com/wp-content/upl...nforcement.pdf
I don't think that everyone who eats low-carb necessarily needs to supplement their electrolytes -- some people don't seem to experience any negative effects and adjust rather quickly. But it you're having problems, you should definitely make sure you take some electrolyte supplementation.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #1018
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Awesome information, Trillex, thanks so much for putting some of those words and concepts into a bodybuilding context for me. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer in so much detail!

I most likely need to just stop worrying about some of these things until I'm really close to a goal weight and pretty lean. I wish there were more stories and books about fairly active people using Atkins, the book itself seems to assume very casual recreational exercise, not running 5-10k or lifting serious weights. I've read the Volek and Phinney Performance book, but it seems to assume one is already at goal weight! I'm 30+ lbs from goal weight and want to be a serious fitness geek. Where's my book?

But obviously Induction has worked just fantastically for you while training seriously. There's no reason it shouldn't work for me. I get so tangled up in the end, will I want to be in nutritional ketosis long term? Forever? Will I want to climb the carb ladder to see how high my carbs can be even if it takes me out of ketosis? Those sorts of speculations are what keep tripping me up.

--JM
To be honest with you, most of what I know about fat loss comes from the world of bodybuilding simply because I've been surrounded by that culture for so long. I think the information is mostly irrelevant to the *average* person who is trying to cut excess bodyfat, but some of the information has been helpful to me because it has helped me to know what I need to worry about and, even more importantly, what I don't need to worry about (until I have much less bodyfat).

Dan Duchaine, who pioneered the modern bodybuilding "cutting" diet, says that women don't really need to address metabolic issues until they are below 16-20% bodyfat (whether they will run into problems at the higher end, at 20%, or the lower end, at 16%, depends on the individual metabolism). Lyle McDonald agrees with this and repeats it over and over in his books. Most of McDonald's books were written with the input of a female research partner, Elzi Volk, and so McDonald is very good about pointing out the additional issues that women face when they need to cut bodyfat below *normal* levels. But McDonald says, based on his research and consulting experience, that women with substantial levels of excess bodyfat need consistency and accuracy and intensity more than they need metabolic tweaks.

Duchaine was an expert on the needs of bodybuilding males but, even for relatively lean men, he created three distinctly different "cutting" diets to address the different needs of people with different levels of bodyfat. Special metabolic tweaks don't *typically* become necessary until the body is below a healthy/normal level of bodyfat so Duchaine's higher-level cutting diets focus on the fundamentals of lowering carbs and lowering calorie intake, leaving the metabolic tweaks for the lowest bodyfat group who need extra fat-cutting strategies.

With regard to my performance while I'm eating very low-carb, I'm EXTREMELY fortunate to have a trainer who is an experienced bodybuilder and a successful bodybuilding coach because he understands the underlying mechanisms of my nutrition and training and he knows how to effectively address potential issues. I train with weights twice per week but I only do each muscle group once per week -- I do upper body training on Tuesdays and lower body training on Thursdays, with some lower body barre training on Mondays.

While eating at induction level for all these months, my gym performance is extremely strong BUT recovery takes much longer. My trainer knew, from the beginning, that recovery is an issue that we would have to deal with -- because he has personally experienced the differences in muscle recovery during low-carb cycles versus higher-carb cycles. Bodybuilders on a ketogenic diet would typically do full-body circuits twice per week, working each muscle group twice each week, but their re-feeds address the recovery issue. Insulin is anabolic. It feeds muscle tissue. Because I'm not doing re-feeds, I need to allow additional recovery time. I'm not just saying that based on the general principle -- my "delayed onset muscle soreness" (DOMS) lasts 4-5 days after workouts so I can genuinely feel the need for the longer recovery time. Fortunately, my training program has that time built into it.

I'm not a high-performance athlete. So I definitely don't believe I need carbs to perform at my highest level. But my training has to conform to my nutrition. I can't workout like a bodybuilder who has multiple anabolic feedings each week. But my goals aren't the same as a bodybuilder -- my primary goal is maximum fat-cutting, not muscle building. While I find all of the bodybuilding books and research fascinating, I always have to remember that it isn't all directly applicable to my situation, as an overweight woman.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #1019
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistyluv View Post
Hello everyone!

Welcome back to Atkins!

Can you do some of the cooking in advance, like on weekends, so that it's less work in the evenings? Just a thought! I'm not nearly as busy as you, but I still find it helpful to pre-cook meals that I can just re-heat during the week.

Good luck! With the health problems you've had, I think you definitely owe it to yourself to take care of your health needs. Your family clearly needs you to be healthy and alive.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #1020
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
You should be losing weight if you are eating from the induction food list and staying under 20 grams of carbs. However for some people it is still possible to over eat and get too many calories. Dr. Atkins discusses this in the book. Please post your menus here and/or put your menus into an on line tracker to ensure you are eating within the plan and at a reasonable calorie level. Also make sure you are drinking lots of water.
Thanks BigStevie!

I'm using a tracker, however I believe I may be a bit excessive in terms of calories. No physical exercise in in my near future due to an accident that munched both legs and one arm. I'm doing some super easy yoga for recovery/rehab, but it's going to be awhile before cardio comes into play.

My carbs are below 20 every day, and my calories have been around 2500-3500. I'm sticking to the induction food list.

I read on another thread that someone recommended keeping percentages in the neighborhood of 60-70% fat, 20-30% protein, and 5% carbs. This person said she consistently lost weight when she kept her numbers in that range, so I too have been trying that.
Closed Thread