Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 06:04 PM   #871
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
You WILL get to goal, Big Stevie! As you get closer, you might decide that your goal should be a few pounds more than you originally thought. But whatever *goal* turns out to be for you, you will get there -- and I'll be right behind you! We've worked too hard and have been too determined to fall anywhere short of the goal line.
I will get to my goal, but it is just a matter of what the goal will be. Yeah I agree, we have come to far not to make it. I don't know if you will be behind me though -You are doing great Trillex.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2013, 06:44 PM   #872
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Neezie
Stats: 238.2/getting smaller!/130
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: July 2012
Hi Guys...

WOW!

I am so happy to see this thread alive and well so many months after I started it! Some of the original people are still here. So cool and so happy for your weight losses!

I wasn't in the best place when I left, but I am feeling so much more committed to Atkins these days. I started to up my carbs a little and my hypoglycemia came back, so I am back on induction because that seems to be the place where my body does the best with blood sugar.

I have lost some weight, but I don't weigh myself as I became an emotional roller coaster, but I am happy to be back here and am excited to share this thread and be back here, if you'll have me!

Xo,
Neezie
Old 02-14-2013, 08:16 AM   #873
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezie View Post
Hi Guys...

WOW!

I am so happy to see this thread alive and well so many months after I started it! Some of the original people are still here. So cool and so happy for your weight losses!

I wasn't in the best place when I left, but I am feeling so much more committed to Atkins these days. I started to up my carbs a little and my hypoglycemia came back, so I am back on induction because that seems to be the place where my body does the best with blood sugar.

Xo,
Neezie
Awesome to see you back. Yeah carbs kill you when you have hypoglycemia. I had a fasting day yesterday, an I ate one meal and then a bullet proof coffee and my head was perfectly fine all day. That is simply amazing since before Atkins I couldn't go for more than two hours without eating or my hypoglycemia would go out of control. This is the best program for hypoglycemia for sure.

Great that you found your way back.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #874
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alonewithyou
Stats: 5'4, 150 lbs
WOE: Atkins >20 carbs a day
Start Date: 09-01-10/10-29-12/01-10-13/07-29-13
I've had my ups and downs :/ carb levels are higher, not like a normal person would eat, just high for me. Like 50-100 a day :/ Can't really tell if I've lost weight though.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #875
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Hi Guys...

WOW!

I have lost some weight, but I don't weigh myself as I became an emotional roller coaster, but I am happy to be back here and am excited to share this thread and be back here, if you'll have me!

Xo,
Neezie
Welcome back, NEEZIE!!! We've really missed you! I've been hoping that you're all doing well and that you might eventually come back to us. Big Stevie and I have been hanging in there, trying to be the best Induction Babies we can be!

I only weigh once per month. And I believe Big Stevie only weighs when he goes down a clothing size -- so we also avoid the scale roller coaster.

Welcome back home, Neezie!
Old 02-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #876
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsslate View Post
Just started today on day 1 of induction. My goal is 40lbs but I will take any weight loss!! I tried low carb once but not Atkins soo I am hopeful
Welcome to Atkins, Mrs Slate!

Are you following one of the Atkins books? I am, personally, following the 2002 version of Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution and it's been great for me. But I'm more of a meat-and-cheese fan than a carbs fan. I've heard that the book New Atkins for a New You is more geared toward people who want more veggies on a daily basis.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #877
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonewithyou View Post
I've had my ups and downs :/ carb levels are higher, not like a normal person would eat, just high for me. Like 50-100 a day :/ Can't really tell if I've lost weight though.

At least you're hanging in there! That takes determination!

From what I've read about different people's results, it seems like the *trick* is finding your best level of carbs. I guess I'm lucky that induction has given me consistent results -- I've read other threads where people, who have even more weight to lose than me, have stalled after a few months on induction. Some people raise their carbs and then start losing pounds again. So it seems like every body is somewhat different.

Also, I'm happy eating just meat and cheese. If you really miss other foods, I think your best bet is to find a way to eat some of those foods and just try to moderate the carbs, otherwise you'll be miserable and what's the point of that?
Old 02-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #878
Senior LCF Member

Thanks so much for welcoming me back so warmly, Trillex and Big Steve!!

It is so nice to be back. Also, so good to hear that you both don't weigh yourself much.

What happened to me is that I fell into the it's healthier to "eat more veggies and lean meats" instead of meat and fats, but it was actually the induction diet of meats and fats and a little veggies that healed my hypoglycemia. So I started drinking veggie smoothies with protein powder and eating tons of veggies and lean proteins and my hypo came back.

So, now I am back to meat and fats. I guess all bodies are different. So cool to hear that you actually fasted Big Stevie and had only one meal. That's my dream to be able to go that long without hypo.

How much exercise are you all getting?
Old 02-15-2013, 05:50 AM   #879
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
How much exercise are you all getting?
I work out 5 days per week -- weight training on Tuesdays and Thursdays, interval cardio on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.

I really enjoy working out! I didn't *believe* in endorphins before I started, but I definitely feel them after these workouts. The hour to hour-and-a-half after my workouts is probably the physical best I've ever felt in my life -- I find myself texting my friends, telling them how AMAZING I feel!

I can't say, though, that the workouts have increased my *rate* of pound loss. I work very hard in the gym, 5 days every week since I started in May, and I've been extremely happy with my rate of loss. But I can't say that I've lost pounds faster than other Atkins dieters. In fact, my progress has been much slower than most of the people over on the Challenge thread. I'm not complaining about that -- I'm super happy with my results and I wouldn't change a thing -- but I have to be honest and say that, at least for me, the true benefits of exercise are increased strength and stamina and the feeling of well-being rather than faster pound loss. But each individual is different, so I don't believe my results represent what another person could/would experience.

I'm glad you've figured out what works for your hypoglycemia, Neezie! The human body is so complicated, and there's so much individual diversity, that I think humans just have to go through a lot of trial and error to figure out what works best for each of us.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:40 AM   #880
Senior LCF Member

Well I have been stuck at about 230 for about 6 weeks or more. I say about 6 weeks because I don't weight very often. Well I jumped on the scale this morning and it said an incredible 218 with my clothes on! That is insane. The last time I weighted was just 2 weeks ago. I have had the flu during that period but it didn't have any stomach issues associated with it. I guess my body just gave up fighting the weight loss. I haven't really been doing anything differently menu wise either. Anyway, I will take it.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #881
Senior LCF Member

My wife just did the math and let me know that I was now 75 pounds down! Pretty cool!
Old 02-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #882
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: straphe
Stats: 231/194.5/187
WOE: Atkins induction
Start Date: 15 January 2013
That's awesome, Big Stevie! I think I'd be very discouraged if I were stuck for 6 weeks or so, but if that ever comes to pass, I'll have to think about you.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #883
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by straphe View Post
That's awesome, Big Stevie! I think I'd be very discouraged if I were stuck for 6 weeks or so, but if that ever comes to pass, I'll have to think about you.
On several occasions I have had a couple weeks with no loss followed by double digit losses. That is why I went to weighing in less frequently. I guess that is just the way my body does it. It can be frustrating!
Old 02-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #884
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
Well I have been stuck at about 230 for about 6 weeks or more. I say about 6 weeks because I don't weight very often. Well I jumped on the scale this morning and it said an incredible 218 with my clothes on! That is insane. The last time I weighted was just 2 weeks ago. I have had the flu during that period but it didn't have any stomach issues associated with it. I guess my body just gave up fighting the weight loss. I haven't really been doing anything differently menu wise either. Anyway, I will take it.
That is AWESOME, Big Stevie! No wonder people are telling you that you look like you're at goal -- because you almost ARE at goal.

Do you have a plan for transition/maintenance? Because of your hypoglycemia, I'm guessing you don't plan to increase carbs too much. I'm just wondering what your plans are.

CONGRATULATIONS! You have earned this!
Old 02-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #885
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
How are you managing, Straphe? Have you been able to stick to your plan, despite your flat mates and other temptations?
Old 02-16-2013, 10:39 PM   #886
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bethanyblondie
Stats: 255/173/140
WOE: I have the Lap Band/Atkin's
Start Date: Restarted 1/28/2013
I agree, Trillex - exercise doesn't really make me lose faster either, but the way it makes you feel is definitely worth it. Before I got pregnant in 2010, I was doing Boot Camp classes, and they were so hard I wanted to throw up at the end of each one. I would have some anxiety about them the night before even. BUT - the time in between I felt SO much better overall and it felt great to be able to move around easier...climb stairs without getting winded hardly at all...squat down and stand back up without a thought.

But I think overall, it's your eating that makes the biggest difference in your losses. I've heard "them" say, when you're losing, it's 80% diet, 20% exercise!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:01 PM   #887
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That is AWESOME, Big Stevie! No wonder people are telling you that you look like you're at goal -- because you almost ARE at goal.

Do you have a plan for transition/maintenance? Because of your hypoglycemia, I'm guessing you don't plan to increase carbs too much. I'm just wondering what your plans are.

CONGRATULATIONS! You have earned this!
My plan is just to stay on Induction until I hit goal. I will probably always stay on induction level just because of how I feel. The weight loss is cool, but the health benefits is what is most important for me.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:58 PM   #888
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: straphe
Stats: 231/194.5/187
WOE: Atkins induction
Start Date: 15 January 2013
Quote:
How are you managing, Straphe? Have you been able to stick to your plan, despite your flat mates and other temptations?
Apart from one meal on Monday, I stayed completely on plan, and the scale showed me some love as well. I was surprised that I didn't even gain that much when I went off plan - the first time I gained around 3-4 pounds, now less then a pound, and was back in ketosis the next day.

I was planning on going to the gym more frequently this week, but my friend with whom I was going to go got sick, so there was no gym for me, but hopefully next week we'll make it.

I'm hanging in there, not obsessing about the scale, but still weighing every other day or so, just so I can keep a journal of how my weight fluctuated. I was very surprised that it's almost a straight line downwards, with just a couple of ups and plateaus.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:50 AM   #889
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanyblondie View Post
But I think overall, it's your eating that makes the biggest difference in your losses. I've heard "them" say, when you're losing, it's 80% diet, 20% exercise!
There are a few *rockstar* trainers who speak out loudly against crunches and traditional ab exercises. They say it's more effective to cut bodyfat to show ab definition than to try and build a "washboard" through exercise. Tom Venuto -- a rockstar "natural" (which means drug-free) bodybuilder and trainer -- is famous for saying that "beautiful abs are made in the kitchen." Jackie Warner -- who is famous for training Hollywood people for films and the red carpet -- promotes ab exercises for core strength and increased muscle stability to support heavy weight training but she says that *show* abs can only be made by cutting bodyfat, which means maintaining a strict diet.

Congrats on getting to ONEderland, Bethany! What is your next milestone?
Old 02-17-2013, 06:54 AM   #890
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Apart from one meal on Monday, I stayed completely on plan, and the scale showed me some love as well. I was surprised that I didn't even gain that much when I went off plan - the first time I gained around 3-4 pounds, now less then a pound, and was back in ketosis the next day.

I was planning on going to the gym more frequently this week, but my friend with whom I was going to go got sick, so there was no gym for me, but hopefully next week we'll make it.

I'm hanging in there, not obsessing about the scale, but still weighing every other day or so, just so I can keep a journal of how my weight fluctuated. I was very surprised that it's almost a straight line downwards, with just a couple of ups and plateaus.
That's great, Straphe! I'm happy to hear that you're finding a way to make your diet fit your life. It seems to me that having a plan that you can live with is the most important thing for the long-term.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #891
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dipsydoodle
Stats: 230/223/mini:200/perm:150
Start Date: 2/2013
Hi everyone, I'm new to induction - if anyone sees this and wants to exchange email addresses, by all means I'm still trying to sort out things that are good to cook, recipes, and so on. I'm not a big cook but I like doing it, it just takes a lot of time. I do have a few questions.

1. How healthy is splenda or xanthan gum for you? I see a lot of recipes recommend it, but I don't feel comfortable with swapping out something like natural raw sugar for something synethic (is splenda? I honestly don't know - someone give me the scoop! or the spoonful... har har) I've thought of Stevia and agave, but I don't know what is best.

2. How do you know exactly how many carbs you are eating? Do you still have to measure everything? (I've been generally visualizing, like a fist for a cup of lettuce, etc.) How do you do portion sizes? DO you do portion sizes?!

Thanks - this site is invaluable, hope I can contribute too

Last edited by dipsydoodle; 02-17-2013 at 04:39 PM..
Old 02-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #892
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Trillex for the info on exercise. I just ran my first 5K, which was so emotionally fulfilling. I definitely feel the endorphins and physical rush. I think exercise just makes me feel healthier overall, so I will keep doing it.

So cool about that big weight loss "whoosh" Big Stevie! (Are we going to start calling you Little Stevie soon)? I will stay at very low carbs most of my life as well for the health benefits, not just weight loss, too. Especially after upping my carbs and getting hypo again, I feel like this diet is what is best for me for life!

Congrats to others and welcome to the new ones!
Old 02-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #893
Senior LCF Member

A 5k is great Nessie. Good for you.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:31 PM   #894
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipsydoodle View Post
1. How healthy is splenda or xanthan gum for you? I see a lot of recipes recommend it, but I don't feel comfortable with swapping out something like natural raw sugar for something synethic (is splenda? I honestly don't know - someone give me the scoop! or the spoonful... har har) I've thought of Stevia and agave, but I don't know what is best.
Hello! Welcome to Atkins!

Raw sugar and agave are natural. But they're still sugar so they will raise your blood glucose level and, consequently, raise your insulin level in a way that goes against the principles of the Atkins diet. Stevia is natural and the body doesn't treat stevia like sugar, so it won't raise your blood glucose level and it *shouldn't* raise your insulin in an unwanted way. Splenda also won't raise your blood glucose level and it *shouldn't* raise your insulin. But splenda isn't natural so, if you want to avoid fake foods, then you're probably better off choosing something like stevia.

According to Jenny Ruhl, in her book Diet 101, *some people* (not all people, only a rare few) will experience raised insulin after eating foods that contain non-nutritive sweeteners that *shouldn't* raise insulin. Apparently, in these people, the sweet taste signals the brain to release insulin even though the blood glucose level doesn't rise.

The only way to know if you're one of those people is to see if your blood glucose level drops after you eat something that is sweet but low in carbs. For example, if you get hungry after drinking sugar-free soda then that could be a result of an insulin response lowering your blood sugar. The sugar-free soda doesn't put more glucose into circulation, but if the sweet taste causes your body to release more insulin then the increased insulin will remove some of the glucose that is in circulation, and the drop in your blood glucose level could cause you to experience hunger.

I've never used xantham gum because I've never made anything that needed it. As far a I know, though, it is a natural product. I've seen it in the market and noticed that some organic manufacturers produce it, like NOW and Bob's Red Mill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipsydoodle View Post
2. How do you know exactly how many carbs you are eating? Do you still have to measure everything? (I've been generally visualizing, like a fist for a cup of lettuce, etc.) How do you do portion sizes? DO you do portion sizes?!
I've been on Atkins for 9 months and I still weigh and measure and log absolutely everything I eat. That's just my personal preference. I only weigh and measure my body once per month so, when I get on the scale and undergo the measuring tape, I like to be absolutely certain that I have spent the entire month following the rules and doing my absolute best every day. No matter what the scale says, as long as I know for certain that I have done all that I can reasonably do, I'm happy with the results.

I don't think it's absolutely necessary to weigh, measure, log, and count everything -- I think the diet allows a lot of wiggle room with regard to the carb count, and a lot of people have great success without being super exact. It's just that, since I don't measure my daily success by what the scale says (because I only see the scale once per month), I measure my daily success by looking at how closely I've followed the rules each day. I'm a nerd, though. So I'm big on following the rules. It's just my *thing*.

And I definitely pay attention to portion sizes. I have an unfortunate history of excessive overeating, so I've had to learn to eat smaller portions. Before I started Atkins, back in May, I never stopped eating when I was full. So it's important to me -- and to my long-term health outlook -- to pay attention to portion size and to understand that my body doesn't need massive portions to be satisfied. For people who aren't chronic overeaters, though, portion control is probably not that important.

Good luck! Welcome to Atkins!
Old 02-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #895
Senior LCF Member

Great explanation of the sugar Trillex

I weighed things the first week and put it all into an on line tracker to understand the percentage of protein, fat and carbs I was eating. After that, I have just done everything by eye and only tracked my menus when I was suck at the same weight for awhile. I say do what works for you and your personality.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #896
Senior LCF Member

Soooo...Sunday night I was just having one of those nights. I wanted a sandwich, WITH BREAD - and there was really no changing my mind. I enjoyed a flat bread mayonnaise-y turkey sandwich and I was so happy afterwards. Not gonna lie...didn't even feel guilty.

The real win for me is getting back on plan after just one meal "off." I think for anything to stick long term, we know we're going to not stay on plan perfectly all the time, and the real trick is forgiving oneself and not let it carry on for days. I am okay with my sandwich meal, and I'm happy I'm back on plan and moving on!
Old 02-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #897
Senior LCF Member

[quote/]Congrats on getting to ONEderland, Bethany! What is your next milestone?[/quote]

Thanks, Trillex! Within the month I'd love to get to 195, but since my "sandwich" episode I know I might be stalled for a few days, so even just staying under 200 would make me happy. I hope within the month of March I can get to 185!

Last edited by Bethanyblondie; 02-19-2013 at 09:55 AM..
Old 02-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #898
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Soooo...Sunday night I was just having one of those nights. I wanted a sandwich, WITH BREAD - and there was really no changing my mind. I enjoyed a flat bread mayonnaise-y turkey sandwich and I was so happy afterwards. Not gonna lie...didn't even feel guilty.

The real win for me is getting back on plan after just one meal "off." I think for anything to stick long term, we know we're going to not stay on plan perfectly all the time, and the real trick is forgiving oneself and not let it carry on for days. I am okay with my sandwich meal, and I'm happy I'm back on plan and moving on!

Did you have any physical effects from the bread? Were you extra hungry the next day or did you have any cravings? Pay attention to how these things might effect you. Also look at your weight loss to see the possible impacts. I ate peanut butter sandwiches a couple of times to settle my stomach. They didn't cause me any issues.

This wasn't a huge splurge. I wouldn't worry about it. But do learn from it! You might learn it has no ill effects.

Last edited by Big Stevie; 02-19-2013 at 11:09 AM..
Old 02-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #899
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

This is the second time I'm quoting Tom Venuto in, like, three days BUT he had a good quote about this. Venuto is an elite personal trainer and he said that the people who are the most successful at reaching their weight loss goals and then maintaining are the people who find a way to be happy with an 80% to 20% ratio of adherence to a diet plan. Venuto says these people give themselves enough leeway to stray 20% of the time, but they make sure they don't stray beyond 20%. He says that because they don't consider *straying* a diet *fail* they have an easier time staying on track well enough to go beyond losing weight to maintaining their losses.

Bodybuilding consultant Lyle McDonald, has written a whole book about the concept of "personal flexibility" with regard to dietary adherence. McDonald basically said the same thing as Venuto. Highly-competitive bodybuilders tend to be super-rigid and *hardcore* about nutrition -- they become champions because they have the mindset to be consistently "perfect" -- but people who are into bodybuilding just to improve their physiques tend to do better if they mentally allow themselves to occasionally stray from their daily plan. McDonald says it's the people who try to be hardcore, but who don't really have the bodybuilding champion strictness of mind, tend to be all-or-nothing and eventually give up completely when they realize they aren't as hardcore as they're *trying* to be. He says the guys who moderate their mindset do a lot better over the long term because they've found a more comfortable way to live with the lifestyle without making themselves miserable enough to be driven to quit after a while.

To be honest with you, I don't have it in me to stray from the plan right now -- I still have too far to go, and I'm not a *fast* loser. And I tend to be very obsessive -- my brothers are both hardcore about bodybuilding nutrition, and I think that their stubborn mindset is genetic to us. But I totally respect the fact that other people might do better by being less strict. A *stray* is not the same thing as a *binge* and, it seems to me, that people get into trouble with binges rather than with strays.

With that said, though, I think Big Stevie has a good point. It all depends on how that one meal affects future meals. If it leads to cravings or if it changes your mindset and you start to feel like straying more than occasionally is okay, then that could cause trouble. At the end of the day, though, one sandwich won't kill your goals. The diet is just a diet, it isn't a nuclear formula that has to be completely exact or it will explode. So, good job getting back on track so quickly!
Old 02-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #900
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
That's a great explanation/deacription of the diffent eating mindsets. I am like youand your brother, trillex....a perfectionist and one-minded about this way of eating. I find that in music too ..i am happy when practicing something over and over and over until it's perfect.
Closed Thread