Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sails92
Stats: 319/309/175
WOE: Low Carb / Exercise (-10)
Start Date: 06/01/14
Thanks for the fit day suggestion, because I started it yesterday and know that along with this support group that it will keep me honest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
One of the best things you can do is to keep a food journal at a site like ******. Put in absolutely everything you eat. You can customize food, so once you have it in place, you know EXACTLY what is happening. The program will calculate all the carbs, fats, proteins, etc.

It's hard to succeed without this strict monitoring, very hard.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #62
Senior LCF Member

You all are so encouraging. Well I started logging in my meals on fit day.com yesterday and it's a great program that I highly recommend. The best part is that it's FREE .

My Menu:
B: Coffee & Cream, 2egg with cheese, sausage crumble, and diced ham
L: McDoalds double cheeseburger NO bun
S: Cottage cheese, sugar free gelatin with 1/4 bananas
D: Taco Salad, NO dressing (just meat, sour cream, tomato, lettuce

I went to Walmart and found a deal on chicken legs so tomorrow I'm going to attempt to bake them with the pork skins as my "breading". I've seen ths recipe posted on here and people seem to really like it so I guess I'll try it and post tomorrow the results.

Introduction of Mariyn:

Ive been fat every day of my life EXCEPT the first 4 years of my life before the neglect by my parents and sexual abuse by my uncle began. Lets just say that I discovered that food was my shelter and brought me comfort from what was going on around me and things done to me. There is no particular size that I dream of being, but I do dream of being healthy and proportioned, but I'm not sure what that size will look like on the scale. I've just celebrated my 20th wedding anniversary and we do not have any birth children though we are in the process of adopting our sweet little foster daughter who just turned three. People think that we are crazy to adopt so late in life (we are both 42), but she has been with us for a year and we are wrapped around her little fingers -lol. But I am encouraged to not be content with size that I am, because I want to live longer in order to be able to give her the life that she deserves (she has been in foster care since 6 months old and we were her 9th foster home). She has a very sad beginning but our prayer is that her years ahead are filled with joy each day. So to add to my story, I am also back in school and is working on my masters degree in clinical social work. I think that's enough introduction about me for now - lol......Many Blessings, Marilyn
Old 07-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
Today was a good first day for me. Maybe not enough food.

olives+1 slice cheese

6oz chicken
2 cups zucchini

22 almonds

8 oz round steak
2 cups broccoli w/butter+shredded cheese

I really wanted to do this without eating too much dairy. Calories came out to
Protein- 153
Carbs- 38
Fiber- 15.0
Fat- 62

A little over on the carbs but ****** isn't all that accurate sometimes. I'm sure it's fine.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cosmicstargoat
Stats: 248.5/241.4/215.0 by Oct. 1
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 21, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by betty301 View Post
Today was a good first day for me. Maybe not enough food.

olives+1 slice cheese

6oz chicken
2 cups zucchini

22 almonds

8 oz round steak
2 cups broccoli w/butter+shredded cheese

I really wanted to do this without eating too much dairy. Calories came out to
Protein- 153
Carbs- 38
Fiber- 15.0
Fat- 62

A little over on the carbs but ****** isn't all that accurate sometimes. I'm sure it's fine.
Just a quick question. Are you on induction? I see the almonds, that's why I'm asking.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #65
Senior LCF Member

yes, induction.
Are almonds a no-no?
I'll have to look again..

But it's 5carbs 3Fiber.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
yes, induction.
Are almonds a no-no?
I'll have to look again..

But it's 5carbs 3Fiber.
Yes, they are a big NO NO on induction. I've learned the hard way, if you don't follow induction rules, with absolutely no variance, you will fail.

Now, I'm talking about Atkins here.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sails92 View Post
Thanks for the fit day suggestion, because I started it yesterday and know that along with this support group that it will keep me honest
It is essential, in my opinion. You can even make your journal public and post a link in here where people can see what you are eating. This is very useful if you are having issues.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cstyles
Stats: 297/293/150
WOE: Atkins, the "old" one
Start Date: 07/15/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sails92 View Post
You all are so encouraging. Well I started logging in my meals on fit day.com yesterday and it's a great program that I highly recommend. The best part is that it's FREE .

My Menu:
B: Coffee & Cream, 2egg with cheese, sausage crumble, and diced ham
L: McDoalds double cheeseburger NO bun
S: Cottage cheese, sugar free gelatin with 1/4 bananas
D: Taco Salad, NO dressing (just meat, sour cream, tomato, lettuce

I went to Walmart and found a deal on chicken legs so tomorrow I'm going to attempt to bake them with the pork skins as my "breading". I've seen ths recipe posted on here and people seem to really like it so I guess I'll try it and post tomorrow the results.

Introduction of Mariyn:

Ive been fat every day of my life EXCEPT the first 4 years of my life before the neglect by my parents and sexual abuse by my uncle began. Lets just say that I discovered that food was my shelter and brought me comfort from what was going on around me and things done to me. There is no particular size that I dream of being, but I do dream of being healthy and proportioned, but I'm not sure what that size will look like on the scale. I've just celebrated my 20th wedding anniversary and we do not have any birth children though we are in the process of adopting our sweet little foster daughter who just turned three. People think that we are crazy to adopt so late in life (we are both 42), but she has been with us for a year and we are wrapped around her little fingers -lol. But I am encouraged to not be content with size that I am, because I want to live longer in order to be able to give her the life that she deserves (she has been in foster care since 6 months old and we were her 9th foster home). She has a very sad beginning but our prayer is that her years ahead are filled with joy each day. So to add to my story, I am also back in school and is working on my masters degree in clinical social work. I think that's enough introduction about me for now - lol......Many Blessings, Marilyn
Wow, Marilyn, you have a full and blessed life. I would love to know how many of us who were sexually abused protect ourselves with a cloak of fat... My son came to me at age 13 months as a foster child when I was 38. You are definitely NOT too old! He is 22 now, and even though he has had some very difficult obstacles, I would not have wanted to miss our on being his mother. I'm glad you are here.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

I had forbidden food, pecan chicken (Chinese) minus the rice, this weekend, and gained two pounds. I'm back on track now.

breakfast - two scrambled eggs, salsa, sour cream
lunch - Wendys Asiago chicken sandwich, grilled
supper - chicken livers, green beans
snack - Diet Coke

need more water!!

Best wishes to everyone...
Old 07-24-2012, 10:38 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Neezie
Stats: 238.2/getting smaller!/130
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: July 2012
Hi All,

to all the new people! So glad we have this thread because the learning curve seems really big at first, at least for me.

Jillieb, Great job on the weight loss! thanks so much for the condolences. I am so so sorry you lost your mother so recently as well. Maybe we can support each other through this. I have never lost anyone this close to me and it is definitely a struggle at times. It is so nice to not use food for comfort, though. But, I think it's important to grieve. I am just not used to feeling my feelings, but rather eating them.

Betty, Welcome!! Weight loss has consumed most of thoughts for many years and, for me, all the years of dieting has made it hard for my metabolism, but my motto is "tweak it until it works" which is what I am doing here. You'll be in those bikinis in no time!! Way to go on posting your menu!

Big Stevie, Welcome!! You are so right about Atkins curing hypoglycemia, because literally before I started three weeks ago, I had to eat every hour or so just to not get shaky and dizzy. What an awful feeling. Now, I can go five hours without eating and have had no symptoms! I am so sorry you have dealt with it, too. Let's lose this weight together!!

Welcome, Cosmicstargoat. Great advice about ******. I think I will start doing that tomorrow.

Dagnyt- Sounds like your metabolism, like mine, has taken a beating over the years. But, don't give up even if you don't lose right away. Tweak it until it works. Eating less sugar and carbs is so much better for me healthwise, that i am going to stick with it for life, separate from the weight loss.

Klynne, Glad to have you here! We are here for you on this journey. We can do this together!

Marilyn, Thank you for sharing your story. My husband and I are wanting children later in life as well. ( I am about to turn 42) and it was always my weight that kept me from feeling safe to have them. We are looking into adoption as well. Great staying accountable on ******!!

How inspiring, Cstyles, that you too became a mother at an older age. Must be a sign for me that I'm on the right track! Way to be honest and accountable about your diet!!!

Phew! That was a lot of new people to welcome!! Yay!

For me, Fluffy(another member) advised me, just like Cosmicstargoat did, to stay on induction exactly without all the little additions. Today was my first day with very little cheese, mostly meat and fat, and no nuts. I was eating cheesecake and lots and lots of whipped cream and cheese before this. Oh, and peanuts. I was not losing much at all.

I went and reread Atkins's book, chapter 11, which says to stick mostly to meat and veggies and don't have nuts or more than 3 or 4 ounces of cheese, and only up to 3 oz of heavy cream. Well, I was eating tons of heavy cream and cheese, and cream cheese, so we'll see if this helps!

Today-

B- 1 slice ham, 1/4 oz cheese, 2 eggs scrambled in coconut oil, 3 tablespoons ground flax(for regularity), coffee with stevia.

L cheeseburger, no bun, with tomatoes and pickles, and low carb ketchup

s- one hardboiled egg.

D- ribeye steak with brocolli and butter

Big Hugs,
Denise
Old 07-24-2012, 11:39 PM   #71
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: jillieb
Stats: 170.5/168/145
Start Date: 7.11.12
There are many new people! Welcome and good luck.

Sadly for ladies eating nuts, they are a no no. I still ending up having a couple, but feel bad about it. I have told my husband too, to back off them as he is a big almond eater and still hasn't completed an induction.

Marilyn...you are a strong lady to have gone what you have gone through and with no doubt I'm sure you will lead your foster daughter in the right direction. Good luck with Atkins, I wish you much success.

Denise...thank you very much. I have lost a couple grandparents, my grandmother a few months before I got married (in 2008) and she was much like a mom to me. Then losing my mother...well this has been too much in a short time. I don't think it has still hit me full about my mom. At times when I'm alone, I think too much. But it just doesn't seem real because she lived far away from me.

I have been reading the book but still think I will go another week or so on induction. I think my husband has finally realized he should to fully on induction too. He's just been doing lowcarb...which he is maintaining...but I know he wants to lose weight...he has some "skinny shirts" he wants to get back into. I want to get back into my true religion jeans with no freaking muffin top!

Looks like good eating Denise.

Mine today was
B-2 Eggs, with 1/2 pc of ham fried in Butter
S-nothing
L-nothing (at fair with daughter and hubby)
S-nothing
D-salt and pepper wings, caesar salad
S-cheese string.

My eating sucked today. I could have been really bad at the fair...damn mini doughnuts and pizza on a stick and what not. No treadmill tonight, but lots of walking today.

Have a good night girls!
Old 07-25-2012, 06:02 AM   #72
Senior LCF Member

ok, no nuts.

what book do you all go off of? I have the Atkins Advantage one..and also an older looking Paperback written by Atkins himself, 'A New Diet Revolution.'

How do you get a balance of healthy fats without going crazy with the cheese, butter and fatty meats?

Without carbs and without a lot of fat, overall calories come in pretty low. More reading for me!

I did manage a 1.5lb drop, btw
Old 07-25-2012, 07:01 AM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone for the beautiful words of encouragement. I will not make the mistake of weighing every day. I have been doing the low carb/low cal lifestyle for three days and got on the scale to discover 2.1 pounds was gone - YEAH!!!!!!!

Below is today's menu:
B: 2 egg omelet (cheese, sausage crumble, diced ham, 1tbs peach salsa), coffee & cream
L: turkey cheeseburger NO bun
S: gelatin with cottage cheese, 1/4 banana
D: leftover taco salad (romaine, beef, cheese, sour cream, salsa)*

*was going to have the baked pork rind chicken, but still had leftovers, so maybe tomorrow

Last edited by sails92; 07-25-2012 at 07:13 AM..
Old 07-25-2012, 07:40 AM   #74
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dagnyt
Stats: 228/228/145
Start Date: July 23, 2012
Thanks, Neezie! I agree, eating lower carb and lower sugar feels better regardless of the weight loss.

I keep feeling like I'm doing something wrong because I feel so great! I expected to have Atkins flu and I'm just not at all. Strange.

Day 3 here.

So far I've had breakfast. coffee with cream, scrambled eggs with a tiny bit of shredded cheddar cheese (cooked in a tsp of butter), and some ground breakfast sausage.

It was the most satisfying breakfast I've had so far! Tasty and filling. I feel great!

One thing I noticed is that I'm starting to get thirsty. I'm not drinking enough water. So I hope to remedy that today. I wonder...if I don't feel bad, does that mean I'm not in the fat-burning stage yet? Or is the feeling bad part of the break with carb/sugar addiction? I know I was pretty bad. Eating carbs and sugar non-stop. That was almost all I ate! I know I sound like a broken record, I just expected to feel much worse.

Oh well, not looking a gift-horse in the mouth!
Old 07-25-2012, 08:24 AM   #75
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Klynne
Stats: 261/257.8/130
Start Date: 7/20/2012
Good morning all!

I am feeling pretty decent this morning! I peeked at the scale earlier, and was pleasantly surprised...but I am going to wait to reveal those numbers until after the end of the first week, b/c we all know how much that number can fluctuate.

dagnyt - I am feeling the same way too about not getting the flu-like symptoms. I am not sure if it is necessary to feel that way though. I just purchased the New Diet Revolution on my kindle yesterday, and read through about a quarter of it, just past the Induction chapter, and Atkins says some people feel it, but not all. Who knows?

Marilyn - You are doing awesome, girl! Keep it up!

Betty - I believe in the book he states that trying to do Induction without the fats might actually stall you out. I read an article from a doctor that was pro LC, and basically what he said was starting out, "not to be a wuss" . Apparently when you add in quite a bit of fat at the beggining, it helps you make the transition over to ketosis more smoothly. Also, after induction, you won't necessarily need as many fats as you begin to work a few carbs back in.

Jillie - I am so sorry for your loss, I cannot even imagine how I would feel if I lost my mother. I am taking my DH on this trip with me too. He has enjoyed everything I have made so far, and I know when we reach goal, he will be pleased as well. Just gotta make him think it was his idea, right?

Denise - Thank you so much for the warm welcome! I know with the right support, we can all reach our goals!

Well, I had planned this morning to make some scrambled eggs with a hot dog...until I looked at the package that is. 5g of carbs for one! So I switched up my plan. I may take those with us to add to the food for the family while at the lake this weekend, but I certainly won't be having one. I feel like I have been floating the last few days, drinking an average of 132 oz of water a day! But, I think it must be helping.

Here is the menu for the day:
B - Two eggs fried in butter, 3 Jimmy Dean heat and serve sausage links, 2 cups of coffee with 2 Tbs half and half, multivitamin
S - 2 cheese sticks
L - Parmesan Herb Crusting Chicken Thighs, side of loaded mashed cauliflower
S - 2 hard boiled eggs
D - Piece of Sausage Quiche, side salad
LOTS and LOTS of water!

Let's make this a great day everyone!
Kerensa

Last edited by Klynne; 07-25-2012 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 07-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
ok, no nuts.

what book do you all go off of? I have the Atkins Advantage one..and also an older looking Paperback written by Atkins himself, 'A New Diet Revolution.'

How do you get a balance of healthy fats without going crazy with the cheese, butter and fatty meats?

Without carbs and without a lot of fat, overall calories come in pretty low. More reading for me!

I did manage a 1.5lb drop, btw
For Atkins, you need the Dr. Atkins NEW Diet Revolution (1992). This explains everything, including the seemingly harmless things (like almonds) that can undermine your induction. You can get the hardback copy used from amazon for just a few bucks.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to read the book.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:04 AM   #77
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dagnyt
Stats: 228/228/145
Start Date: July 23, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
For Atkins, you need the Dr. Atkins NEW Diet Revolution (1992). This explains everything, including the seemingly harmless things (like almonds) that can undermine your induction. You can get the hardback copy used from amazon for just a few bucks.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to read the book.
I totally agree. I was able to get the hardback version for about 3 dollars (of course I had to pay shipping too) on Amazon. Got the newer version too, but I'm going with the original 92 one. (actually it's 2002, but the plan doesn't change, as far as I can tell, just the recipes and some of what Dr. Atkins says in the book)

Klynne, good to know it's not just me! It feels so weird to have this much energy, especially knowing that I'm not eating carbs or sugars!
Old 07-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #78
Senior LCF Member

I'm not afraid of fats..I just didn't want to do this on cheese, butter and fatty meats alone.
A balance...
Actually, I'm going to try to give up cheese altogether *gasp* Just to see if it helps my stuffy nose.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #79
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Klynne
Stats: 261/257.8/130
Start Date: 7/20/2012
I understand, besides you know yourself better than anyone else does. Maybe you could try some avocado, I saw that you had some olives, salmon and flax seed have lots of good fats too. All those things my mother told me not to eat too much of. I am sure she meant well though.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #80
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: jillieb
Stats: 170.5/168/145
Start Date: 7.11.12
Betty...I read the Atkins New Diet Revolution (red book). I found mine at Value Village. I had a very old copy before, read that as well.

Healthy fats you can get from eating more fish. But really in Atkins all fat is good. I do use butter on things I cook, so not sure of so much the healthy fats.

Good job sails...I sadly still weigh everyday..I am a scale addict and I'm trying to break it!

Dagnyt....drink a lot of water, I found I was never drinking enough and that was an important aspect to flush everything out. But then I'm running to the bathroom several times a day.

Thanks Klynne. it's difficult for sure, especially cause she was so happy to be a grandma and only got to see her first 2.5 years of her life. I miss her. Sounds like have some good meals there! I still need to eat and it's almost noon here...oops.

Well off to make breakfast and hit costco for more eggs. have a good day gals.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Totaled up my meals for the day..

Natural Turkey deli meat
w/1tbsp mayo
wrapped in big lettuce leaves

2 fish caps

Meatza!!
(lean hamburger with tomato sauce, olives, mozarella and italian seasonings on top)
2 cups Broccoli

Pork Chop and Green beans(both cooked with olive oil)

2 fish caps

Cals- 1567
Protein- 140
CARBS- 30
Fiber- 10
Fat- 95.3
Old 07-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnyt View Post
I totally agree. I was able to get the hardback version for about 3 dollars (of course I had to pay shipping too) on Amazon. Got the newer version too, but I'm going with the original 92 one. (actually it's 2002, but the plan doesn't change, as far as I can tell, just the recipes and some of what Dr. Atkins says in the book)

Klynne, good to know it's not just me! It feels so weird to have this much energy, especially knowing that I'm not eating carbs or sugars!
Yes, it IS 2002. I didn't notice the typo.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:45 PM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Neezie
Stats: 238.2/getting smaller!/130
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: July 2012
Hi All,

Jillieb- My dad lived far away, too. So it just feels like I could call him up and talk? Nope. Big hugs. It doesn't seem real to me, either. You did great at the fair for not eating all that food!!! Congrats.

Hi Betty, I am using the New Diet Revolution that Dr. Atkins wrote in 2002. I feel like if I am going to do Atkins, I should follow what he actually said when he was alive lol! As far as fats, he says you can and should eat oils and fatty meats and eggs for fat. Mayo and butter are fine, just not a ton of cheese or cream(my staples these last three weeks).

Hi Sails!! So glad you're posting your menu. I don't think fruit or cottage cheese are allowed on induction, but if you are losing on it, GO GIRL!!!

Dagnyt- You are so blessed to not have the induction flu! I had it for two whole weeks! If you are staying under 20 carbs, that means you are just lucky not to have the flu! Embrace and enjoy!

Klynne-Your menu looks awesome!! So glad the scale is being nice. I was on a daily weighing thread, but just got too discouraged. I want to figure out how to do Atkins right before I get too discouraged weighing myself. I am going to weigh myself after I have done induction right for one whole week. I just started doing induction properly yesterday, so I will weigh myself every Tuesday.

So, per cosmicstargoat's recommendation, I used ****** yesterday. Wow. That thing really does open your eyes. I didn't know 1 cup of broccoli had so many carbs. I thought I had hardly any carbs yesterday, but actually had 18 just eating mostly meat and veggies! THANKS, Cosmicstargoat, for being so adamant about tracking. And today, I have apparently eaten a ton of calories without even knowing it. Phew. ****** is my new best friend.

today-
B- one italian sausage with mayo, 1.5 eggs scrambled in coconut oil, one flax muffin(made from three tbspns flax, oil and half an egg) with butter. All added up to 1200 calories!!!! (So maybe the rest of the day, I will have celery sticks). Good news is I've only had about 2 carbs.

Last edited by Neezie; 07-25-2012 at 12:46 PM..
Old 07-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #84
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I'm not afraid of fats..I just didn't want to do this on cheese, butter and fatty meats alone.
A balance...
Actually, I'm going to try to give up cheese altogether *gasp* Just to see if it helps my stuffy nose.
You might want to look into a natural product called Sinatrol for you sinus. My pharmacist recommended it and said that a lot of the stuffy nose problems were caused by an overgrowth of fungus. I know that it has helped me a lot.

It's OTC and you can buy it online as well.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #85
Senior LCF Member

cool, thanks! I will!!
I think it's this old house actually. A lot of the old military housing is so full of mold they would be considered condemnable(sp).

Off topic, I was browsing the food porn threads, hehe, and I saw one for flourless chocolate 'cake'.. :drool: Now I forget where it was.
Does anyone know where that might have been? lol
Old 07-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #86
Senior LCF Member

found it, page 5- induction food porn #3
Old 07-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezie View Post

So, per cosmicstargoat's recommendation, I used ****** yesterday. Wow. That thing really does open your eyes. I didn't know 1 cup of broccoli had so many carbs. I thought I had hardly any carbs yesterday, but actually had 18 just eating mostly meat and veggies! THANKS, Cosmicstargoat, for being so adamant about tracking. And today, I have apparently eaten a ton of calories without even knowing it. Phew. ****** is my new best friend.
Using an objective lie detector like ****** is essential to success. My first go on Atkins was a miserable failure. I've started again, and this time I am confident because I won't be making all the mistakes I made the first time.

Here are some hints and suggestions:

-Don't overeat. The first time I attacked the meat like it was a personal challenge. I ended up taking in too many calories and gained weight on induction.

-Use ****** or the equivalent to monitor your food. Enter everything

-Don't cheat, not even a tiny bit (see ******)

-AVOID Diet Sodas like the plague. Diet sodas will fool your body into thinking its getting something and when it realizes its not, it will ravage you with hunger pangs. Just don't.

-Eat the proper ratio of fat/protein. Fat is your friend. Again, don't gorge on meat (or anything else)

-Make sure most of your >20 grams of carbs are from vegetables, not food processing additives.

-Don't weight yourself more than every two weeks. I know that it's tempting and everyone wants that gratification, but daily fluctuations can send you into a psychological tailspin. Hide the scale.

-Don't Panic. If you screw up, don't think that all is lost. Simply forget it and stick to your guns the rest of the way.

-No alcohol. I love beer like sex, but you cannot rationalize with "Well, Jack Daniels doesn't have carbs, so I can have some instead of beer. Just say no.

-Give yourself time. It took a long time to get overweight, so how can you rationally expect to solve this issue in days or weeks?

-If you're stalled or not losing, come here for help. There are lots of reasons and some of us can help. Some drugs like statins or Singulair for asthma can make it had to lose weight. Just ask us for help.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezie View Post
Hi All,

to all the new people! So glad we have this thread because the learning curve seems really big at first, at least for me.

Jillieb, Great job on the weight loss! thanks so much for the condolences. I am so so sorry you lost your mother so recently as well. Maybe we can support each other through this. I have never lost anyone this close to me and it is definitely a struggle at times. It is so nice to not use food for comfort, though. But, I think it's important to grieve. I am just not used to feeling my feelings, but rather eating them.

Betty, Welcome!! Weight loss has consumed most of thoughts for many years and, for me, all the years of dieting has made it hard for my metabolism, but my motto is "tweak it until it works" which is what I am doing here. You'll be in those bikinis in no time!! Way to go on posting your menu!

Big Stevie, Welcome!! You are so right about Atkins curing hypoglycemia, because literally before I started three weeks ago, I had to eat every hour or so just to not get shaky and dizzy. What an awful feeling. Now, I can go five hours without eating and have had no symptoms! I am so sorry you have dealt with it, too. Let's lose this weight together!!

Welcome, Cosmicstargoat. Great advice about ******. I think I will start doing that tomorrow.

Dagnyt- Sounds like your metabolism, like mine, has taken a beating over the years. But, don't give up even if you don't lose right away. Tweak it until it works. Eating less sugar and carbs is so much better for me healthwise, that i am going to stick with it for life, separate from the weight loss.

Klynne, Glad to have you here! We are here for you on this journey. We can do this together!

Marilyn, Thank you for sharing your story. My husband and I are wanting children later in life as well. ( I am about to turn 42) and it was always my weight that kept me from feeling safe to have them. We are looking into adoption as well. Great staying accountable on ******!!

How inspiring, Cstyles, that you too became a mother at an older age. Must be a sign for me that I'm on the right track! Way to be honest and accountable about your diet!!!

Phew! That was a lot of new people to welcome!! Yay!

For me, Fluffy(another member) advised me, just like Cosmicstargoat did, to stay on induction exactly without all the little additions. Today was my first day with very little cheese, mostly meat and fat, and no nuts. I was eating cheesecake and lots and lots of whipped cream and cheese before this. Oh, and peanuts. I was not losing much at all.

I went and reread Atkins's book, chapter 11, which says to stick mostly to meat and veggies and don't have nuts or more than 3 or 4 ounces of cheese, and only up to 3 oz of heavy cream. Well, I was eating tons of heavy cream and cheese, and cream cheese, so we'll see if this helps!

Today-

B- 1 slice ham, 1/4 oz cheese, 2 eggs scrambled in coconut oil, 3 tablespoons ground flax(for regularity), coffee with stevia.

L cheeseburger, no bun, with tomatoes and pickles, and low carb ketchup

s- one hardboiled egg.

D- ribeye steak with brocolli and butter

Big Hugs,
Denise
Thanks, Neezie for the encouraging words. I must go back and read the Atkins book this weekend. This thread is very helpful to me!

today I was down a pound - one more down and I'll be back where I was before I decided I could have carbs without consequences.

breakfast - Hardee's breakfast bowl
lunch - Sonic coney, no bun (could not get home for lunch/spent 6 carbs on this)
supper - cauliflower, salmon patties
snacks - diet cherry limeade, coffee with cream

23 carbs today

Best wishes everyone!
Cathy
Old 07-25-2012, 10:37 PM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amlyjo
Stats: 332/310/175
WOE: LC-HF-MP
Start Date: June 2013
Hi everyone! I think this is the thread for me! I just started one week ago, er...I guess really you'd say a week and a few days. Anyways, last Tuesday. Since then I have lost 9.4 lb. Things are going really well. I had already reduced my carbs a lot before starting, so that's why I think I haven't had cravings too bad or the "flu".

I focus a lot on fats. I discovered the magical flax muffin and I love those (sometimes I can only eat half) with some cream cheese and my coffee. I also get some fat in daily with coconut oil. So far I am truly enjoying this WOE. I don't have a huge sweet tooth, so these savory things are good to me. Like last night I made jalepeno poppers. *swoon* They were awesome!!

I too have been overweight all my life. At almost 45 years old I am just tired of it. I pray for my success this time daily!

Oh, I use a tracker too, which has an app, so I have no excuses not to track. I think it has been essential to keeping me from going over 20 net and not getting too high on the calories.

I look forward to getting to know you all!!

6/22/13 restart of NK
Old 07-26-2012, 07:02 AM   #90
Senior LCF Member

your doing awesome Amly!!!

would you mind sharing your recipe for the flax muffins?

Great words Cosmic!!

As for me I am down another 1.5lbs..I know your not supposed to weigh yourself everyday and I don't. This only for scientific purposes, lol. And motivation. Here I thought my body decided that it was happy at this weight.

I made something last night out of a recipe book I have. Eggy french toast thingies.

soften 2oz of cream cheese in the mic.
Lightly beat 2 eggs and add 1tbsp of sugar maple syrup and mic another minute..stir to get any crumbly things out and mic til it becomes a large fluffy pancake thing. add another tbsp of sugar free maple syrup and cinnamon to taste.

*I didn't add syrup because I didn't have any* But a packet of splenda of cinnamon and it was still yummy.
Closed Thread