Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #721
Senior LCF Member
 
Big Stevie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 837
Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
Well with the new year, I hope a few of them find their way back to us. I certainly don't judge them, I went off for seven years myself. I just thank God I found my way back and am feeling so much better.
Big Stevie is offline  

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #722
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 84
Gallery: Miche124
Stats: 192.5/183/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: October 13, 2012
Oh good grief, no! I am no champion. Everyone has their own burdens to bear. When cancer happens you just do whatever you have to do. Enduring, I believe, is an under-recognized form of courage that particularly falls upon women in our society, not just cancer patients. The real champions of cancer are the people with less favorable prognoses than mine, who remain strong in the face of their shortened futures, anticipating leaving their loved ones.

Last edited by Miche124; 01-02-2013 at 11:57 AM..
Miche124 is offline  
Old 01-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #723
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 84
Gallery: Miche124
Stats: 192.5/183/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: October 13, 2012
I've gone from sedentary to 7000 steps per day within the last 3 days, and I'm surprised to be really, really tired. Not during exercise, but later in the day -- nothing to do with muscle soreness, just feel like taking a long nap. I've never had this happen in the past. Is there something different that I should be doing on this keto diet to prevent this kind of fatigue? Timing carbs or protein with exercise somehow? Or am I just old? (hush!) Also, I noticed that my ketone levels jumped up despite drinking plenty of fluids.

Also, I apologize for bringing up my health history. I intended to be writing about perspective, or mindset, or strategies for motivating myself to take off weight and didn't intend to derail this thread.

Last edited by Miche124; 01-03-2013 at 04:13 PM..
Miche124 is offline  
Old 01-04-2013, 01:08 AM   #724
Major LCF Poster!
 
Trillex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 1,202
Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miche124 View Post
I've gone from sedentary to 7000 steps per day within the last 3 days, and I'm surprised to be really, really tired. Not during exercise, but later in the day -- nothing to do with muscle soreness, just feel like taking a long nap. I've never had this happen in the past. Is there something different that I should be doing on this keto diet to prevent this kind of fatigue? Timing carbs or protein with exercise somehow? Or am I just old? (hush!) Also, I noticed that my ketone levels jumped up despite drinking plenty of fluids.

Also, I apologize for bringing up my health history. I intended to be writing about perspective, or mindset, or strategies for motivating myself to take off weight and didn't intend to derail this thread.
You didn't derail the thread, at all. I think we just get quiet on this thread, sometimes, when we don't have any updates to report. I apologize for embarrassing you earlier! I guess I'm just a sucker for a comeback story...

I haven't had that experience with cardio exercise and tiredness. I've noticed, though, that I have felt tired and gone to bed early on days when I have weight training muscle soreness. It usually isn't the day of the workout, but the day after. I've just taken it as a sign that my body wants to heal from the stress of muscle damage. I've definitely only had that experience, though, when I have actually had soreness.

Re: Increased ketones, The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance says, "If you test your blood ketones after exercise, they usually increase between 0.25 - 0.5 millimolar indicating effective stimulation of fat burning. Ketone levels increase sharply during the 1 - 2 hours after exercise due to increased hepatic delivery of fatty acids and greater rates of fat oxidation."

BTW, my Striiv "Play" should arrive tomorrow!
Trillex is offline  
Old 01-04-2013, 05:13 AM   #725
Junior LCF Member
 
southernbellexx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 16
Gallery: southernbellexx
Stats: 213/203/160
Start Date: 01/02/13
Hi, y'all! My name is Kelli. I have been lurking for a few days, and I must say...you guys are SO inspiring! I have read this entire thread...all 25 pages of it! LOL! I am on day 3 of induction, and much like you guys, I tend to stay at induction levels for a while. I would like to lose 50 lbs. So far, I'm 5 lbs down from where I started. Whooo! I know it's mostly water, but any loss is good as far as I'm concerned! I wish you guys the best in your journey...and I'm so sad that most of the original posters are gone
southernbellexx is offline  
Old 01-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #726
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 84
Gallery: Miche124
Stats: 192.5/183/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: October 13, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbellexx View Post
Hi, y'all! My name is Kelli. I have been lurking for a few days, and I must say...you guys are SO inspiring! I have read this entire thread...all 25 pages of it! LOL! I am on day 3 of induction, and much like you guys, I tend to stay at induction levels for a while. I would like to lose 50 lbs. So far, I'm 5 lbs down from where I started. Whooo! I know it's mostly water, but any loss is good as far as I'm concerned! I wish you guys the best in your journey...and I'm so sad that most of the original posters are gone
Welcome, Kelli! Congratulations for getting back on track, and moving in the right direction.

Trillex, I'm so excited you're getting your Striiv. While I have a different model, I think they are very similar. They have put a great deal of thought into the motivational tools, and it feels like they designed it specifically with me in mind. On low motivation days it's so easy to do the little challenges like "take 30 stairs" (I live in a split-level house), or "be active 3 more minutes," and before I know it, I've done so many little challenges they've added up to real exercise. On high motivation days, their prompts push me to keep going longer than I would otherwise. Be sure to try out and combine the races with challenges too, for more rewards.

Thanks, too, for your reassurance about workout fatigue and for your kind words too.

Last edited by Miche124; 01-04-2013 at 09:02 AM..
Miche124 is offline  
Old 01-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #727
Senior LCF Member
 
Big Stevie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 837
Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
Welcome Kelli. If you have the willingness to read 25 pages, you will likely have no problem following this diet. Just don't get hungry for the first couple of weeks. Eat items off the list of induction foods frequently. When your body settles in, then start to adjust the amounts and times you eat. (this will happen naturally as your cravings go away.) Drink lots of water (lots meaning 100 ounces for your weight).

Miche and Trillex are working out! Good for you. As you know, I haven't been doing much working out since I started. You guys are motivating me, it is time to start a workout regime. I think it is important as part of my new healthy lifestyle. Maybe it will aid in my weight-loss as well. I will let you know how I am doing.

Last edited by Big Stevie; 01-04-2013 at 11:18 AM..
Big Stevie is offline  
Old 01-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #728
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 84
Gallery: Miche124
Stats: 192.5/183/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: October 13, 2012
Yay, Big Stevie! I bet you'll enjoy exercise more due your newfound lightness!
Miche124 is offline  
Old 01-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #729
Junior LCF Member
 
southernbellexx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 16
Gallery: southernbellexx
Stats: 213/203/160
Start Date: 01/02/13
Thank you guys! After my son was born (4 years ago) I lost 75 lbs doing low cal/low fat...and I was so miserable! I managed to keep the weight off for a good while, and even during my second pregnancy. But after my daughter was born, I pretty much just started eating whatever was cheap and easy...and we all know how that goes LOL! I was going to the gym, just not watching what I ate.

This diet is a no brainer. I LOVE all of these foods, and I am feeling better already. Now on day 3, I actually wasn't even hungry come lunch time...that has not happened in a very long while!

I've been thinking about going back to Atkins for a few months now, and then I read y'alls stories and it really kinda kicked me into gear. So thank you!
southernbellexx is offline  
Old 01-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #730
Senior LCF Member
 
Big Stevie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 837
Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miche124 View Post
Yay, Big Stevie! I bet you'll enjoy exercise more due your newfound lightness!
I enjoy exercise. I guess I listened to one to many people who said or implied I was fat because I was lazy. So I really wanted to show them that it was really all about what I was eating, not even how much, that was making me fat, and not my lack of exercise. So by design (or stubbornness), I really didn't want my weight loss to be about exercise. Now that I have proven it is not, I will get back to exercising and feel good about it. What is really funny is that right now I am eating more than I ever have and actually exercising less. So FU main stream thoughts on diet and exercise!!! I have found the truth for me and my body!!!

As I am typing this, I am realizing how juvenile that sounds, but it is what I was thinking, LOL.
Big Stevie is offline  
Old 01-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #731
Senior LCF Member
 
Big Stevie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 837
Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbellexx View Post
This diet is a no brainer. I LOVE all of these foods, and I am feeling better already. Now on day 3, I actually wasn't even hungry come lunch time...that has not happened in a very long while!
Well you just got the first lesson. Carbs are what make you hungry and have cravings. The more carbs you eat the hungrier you get, the more you eat, the more weight you gain, and your still hungry.

Eat good low carb foods, fats and proteins and you will feel great and not be hungry all the time. You can stick with some simple food at first, but know that there is a huge menu to choose from, even on Induction. Spend some time on the Food Porn site and you will get lots of ideas.

Glad to hear it is working for you, it is great you are already feeling great day three.
Big Stevie is offline  
Old 01-05-2013, 06:22 AM   #732
Junior LCF Member
 
southernbellexx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 16
Gallery: southernbellexx
Stats: 213/203/160
Start Date: 01/02/13
Big Stevie, a big CONGRATS on your exercise! I wish I could say I thoroughly enjoyed it! Getting back into it is hard, but once I get going and I start feeling it's effects, it does get easier and more enjoyable. As for the carbs being what makes us hungry, that is extremely true. I was a HUGE carb addict. I LOVED potatoes and bread and sugar and all of that yucky stuff. And towards the end, I started noticing that when I would eat it I would get terrible headaches several times a day...so miserable! But now that I'm on Atkins, those headaches are completely GONE! It is a very freeing feeling to be able to leave the house without a bottle of Advil in my purse or diaper bag.

I hope you guys are having a great weekend!
southernbellexx is offline  
Old 01-05-2013, 08:16 AM   #733
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 84
Gallery: Miche124
Stats: 192.5/183/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: October 13, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
I enjoy exercise. I guess I listened to one to many people who said or implied I was fat because I was lazy. So I really wanted to show them that it was really all about what I was eating, not even how much, that was making me fat, and not my lack of exercise. So by design (or stubbornness), I really didn't want my weight loss to be about exercise. Now that I have proven it is not, I will get back to exercising and feel good about it. What is really funny is that right now I am eating more than I ever have and actually exercising less. So FU main stream thoughts on diet and exercise!!! I have found the truth for me and my body!!!

As I am typing this, I am realizing how juvenile that sounds, but it is what I was thinking, LOL.
It's funny that I was doing the opposite of you! For years (decades?) I had been telling doctors and family and anyone who would listen that I was not an overeater. I was fighting against the stereotype of fast food/junk food eater just because I was overweight. I told them, and rightly so, that I had been living for years on a very healthy whole food, low cal, low fat diet but I could not lose. I assumed I was stuck because I was underexercising.

Then I got convinced by Gary Taubes that it was the conscientious dieting I was doing that was the crux of my problem, and that I needed to switch to low carb.

Big Stevie, scroll up and take a look at Michael Moore's post that I shared. He has different rationale, but much the same attitude as you. And I wouldn't say you're juvenile!
Miche124 is offline  
Old 01-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #734
Senior LCF Member
 
Big Stevie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 837
Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbellexx View Post
I started noticing that when I would eat it I would get terrible headaches several times a day...so miserable! But now that I'm on Atkins, those headaches are completely GONE! It is a very freeing feeling to be able to leave the house without a bottle of Advil in my purse or diaper bag.
I have experienced the exact same thing. It is a wonderful side effect of eating what your body really wants.
Big Stevie is offline  
Old 01-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #735
Senior LCF Member
 
Big Stevie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 837
Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miche124 View Post
It's funny that I was doing the opposite of you! For years (decades?) I had been telling doctors and family and anyone who would listen that I was not an overeater. I was fighting against the stereotype of fast food/junk food eater just because I was overweight. I told them, and rightly so, that I had been living for years on a very healthy whole food, low cal, low fat diet but I could not lose. I assumed I was stuck because I was underexercising.

Then I got convinced by Gary Taubes that it was the conscientious dieting I was doing that was the crux of my problem, and that I needed to switch to low carb.

Big Stevie, scroll up and take a look at Michael Moore's post that I shared. He has different rationale, but much the same attitude as you. And I wouldn't say you're juvenile!
Well to be honest, I feel like I am cheating. I am eating more than ever and losing. I feel like I have found the key. I have come to the conclusion that everyone's bodies are different. My wife ate the same diet I used to and she is 5'6" and 125 pounds. In fact, she always at more sugar and junk food than I did. But somehow I grew to 300 and she stayed thin. Nobody would believe that statement, but it is factual. Everyone thought I must have been doing crazy eating behind everyone's back. But no, my body just creates fat when I eat carbs. I have never been a compulsive or over eater. I was simply eating the wrong things (most of which the main stream diet folks would say is right for your body.) Anyway, I feel like I have discovered this wonderful thing: I am getting thinner, eating more, my head is clearer, I am sleeping better all because I changed what I was fueling my body with.
Big Stevie is offline  
Old 01-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #736
Junior LCF Member
 
southernbellexx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 16
Gallery: southernbellexx
Stats: 213/203/160
Start Date: 01/02/13
Miche - I read what you shared regarding Michael Moore's post. Thank you for that! I enjoyed it.

Big Stevie - I too feel like I am cheating! Unfortunately we have been programmed into thinking that fat is bad, and little to no fat is what is good for us...and that you must be hungry in order to lose weight. WRONG! It is amazing to be able to enjoy the foods that you love, feel satisfied, and still drop pounds! I'm just sorry it took so long for me to figure that out LOL!
southernbellexx is offline  
Old 01-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #737
Major LCF Poster!
 
Trillex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 1,202
Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbellexx View Post
Hi, y'all! My name is Kelli. I have been lurking for a few days, and I must say...you guys are SO inspiring! I have read this entire thread...all 25 pages of it! LOL! I am on day 3 of induction, and much like you guys, I tend to stay at induction levels for a while. I would like to lose 50 lbs. So far, I'm 5 lbs down from where I started. Whooo! I know it's mostly water, but any loss is good as far as I'm concerned! I wish you guys the best in your journey...and I'm so sad that most of the original posters are gone
Hiya, Kelli! Welcome! I love this thread, too. It's really kept me going whenever I've needed a bit of additional support. As you've said, we've lost a few great people along the way. But I hope you will continue on this journey with us.

I honestly think the diet gets *easier* over time. That's been my experience, anyway. I mean, I still have some bad days -- when I wish I could order a pizza instead of cooking after a long day or when I'm out with a group of people who are eating off each others' plates. But the diet has become enough of a comfortable habit, at this point, that I don't even consciously think about it on a daily basis.
Trillex is offline  
Old 01-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #738
Major LCF Poster!
 
Trillex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 1,202
Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
Well to be honest, I feel like I am cheating. I am eating more than ever and losing. I feel like I have found the key. I have come to the conclusion that everyone's bodies are different. My wife ate the same diet I used to and she is 5'6" and 125 pounds. In fact, she always at more sugar and junk food than I did. But somehow I grew to 300 and she stayed thin. Nobody would believe that statement, but it is factual. Everyone thought I must have been doing crazy eating behind everyone's back. But no, my body just creates fat when I eat carbs. I have never been a compulsive or over eater. I was simply eating the wrong things (most of which the main stream diet folks would say is right for your body.) Anyway, I feel like I have discovered this wonderful thing: I am getting thinner, eating more, my head is clearer, I am sleeping better all because I changed what I was fueling my body with.
I don't know if *every* body is different, but *some* bodies are extremely different. And I think you guys should consider the fact that you can eat more food now and lose pounds an incredible blessing!

Sadly, my body is not like yours. At all. I gained weight for absolutely textbook reasons. I simply ate way too much food. My diet coaches -- aka, friends and family and my trainer -- had me measure and log my food for an entire month before I started Atkins. I ate no less than 4,000 calories per day. Several days each week, whenever I had responsibilities on campus, I ate more than 7,000 calories per day. I went to Panera with a colleague one afternoon and I placed my order: a large chocolate mocha, two chocolate croissants, large southwestern soup, a salmon sandwich on a croissant with chips, an asiago beef panini with chips, and a bottle of water. So my colleague asked me if I'd ordered for him, too. And the girl behind the counter says, "Oh, no! That's her regular order." She told the truth! I had a four hour break between classes on Mondays and I spent my 4 hour break eating that meal -- sometimes with a mango smoothie, as well.

Most people didn't say anything, but my eating wasn't a secret. Anybody who's known me longer than a day has to know why I'm fat. My family's favorite funny/embarrassing childhood story about me was from when I was five years old at one of my cousin's birthday parties at Burger King. My Burger King order -- at age five -- was two Whoppers (not Whopper Juniors), two large fries, and a vanilla shake. This boy tried to take my second Whopper while I was eating the first one and I stone-cold punched that kid in the head and knocked him off the bench onto the ground. Everybody loves telling this story because they think it is hilarious that I was a very sweet child unless somebody tried to mess with my food.

I was an avid (obsessive) skateboarder when I was young and I had average-to-low bodyweight throughout my youth so my parents just thought that I needed more food than my brothers and they had no problem with me listening to my body and eating more than "normal" portions of food. But then I quit skating when I started college and I gained 50 pounds in less than two years.

My trainer is a childhood friend and he didn't even need to see my food logs to know how much I was eating. When I started Atkins, he instructed me to eat 5 - 6 small meals per day, instead of eating larger meals, because he wanted me to learn that my body was actually satisfied by small amounts of food. I didn't eat those huge portions -- as an adult or as a child -- because I was hungry. I ate *despite* the fact that I was absolutely not hungry. My diet advisors had me track my blood glucose levels during my pre-diet month of planning, and my blood glucose never went over 115 and stayed in a very normal, 100 - 115 range when tracked 60 and 120 minutes after meals. I ate large meals over long, sustained periods of time, so I checked my levels 60 and 120 after I started eating and then 60 and 120 minutes after I had my last bite.

I consciously knew that I wasn't hungry while I was eating an entire extra-large pizza or 4 volcano burritos but my *relationship* with food was just really off-kilter. Those first few months of eating small portions were the greatest gift my trainer gave me! Because that was the most important lesson that I needed to learn in order to change my habits. Actually seeing that a relatively tiny amount of food genuinely satisfies me for several hours, has helped me to change my relationship with food so that I can *behave* more like the people around me. I am the only obese person in my family -- I'm also the only one of them who could eat an entire 32 ounce prime rib at the hotel restaurant while we were on vacation in Puerto Rico.

I'm not *ashamed* that I got fat or that people know me as a big eater. Every person on this planet has their own flaws. No one has ever indicated to me that they think my food habits are a sign of low character -- and if anybody actually thinks that, I would consider their attitude uncharitable and inappropriately judgmental. And I think that anyone who is overly concerned with someone else's weight probably has some emotional issues with regard to their own body image, which I think is a sadder burden to bear than simply being fat.

I realized at the Christmas meal, when I ate an entire low-carb creme brulee after I was physically full and completely satisfied, that my struggle to overcome the old habits has not progressed as far as I'd hoped. I've taken a look at my current eating habits since then, and I realize that I am eating cheese strictly for pleasure when I'm not hungry. So I am giving up cheese for a while, except on Sundays, to see how this changes my mental relationship with food. I'm not giving up cheese to "lose more pounds." I'm trying this to see if I am the master of my relationship with food or if that relationship is controlling me in a way that I don't want it to. Because I need to permanently change my relationship with food, or this whole diet experience will have been for nothing.
Trillex is offline  
Old 01-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #739
Junior LCF Member
 
southernbellexx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 16
Gallery: southernbellexx
Stats: 213/203/160
Start Date: 01/02/13
Trillex - I can relate to your relationship with food! I am a person that will eat not because I'm hungry, but just because I love the taste. That is definitely what got me into the shape I am in now. Not only do I need to change WHAT I eat, but WHY I'm eating it. So glad I'm not the only one!
southernbellexx is offline  
Old 01-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #740
Major LCF Poster!
 
Trillex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 1,202
Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbellexx View Post
I am a person that will eat not because I'm hungry, but just because I love the taste.
That's exactly my issue! I absolutely revel in the taste of food that I find delicious. I don't think that's a *bad* think in most people -- food is pleasurable for important biological reasons, and the enjoyment of food is a wonderful part of human social behavior -- but I think I have this food enjoyment problem to a psychologically abnormal degree. And I believe I will need to address this problem in order to improve my emotional health as well as my physical health.

I've read Stephan Guyenet's work on "highly-palatable" foods and his research suggests that some people's bodies adjust the level of neurotransmitter release when they eat foods that they find delicious. And the adjustments in neurotransmitter activity override the body's signals for fullness and satiety. The result is that some people keep eating food that they find delicious because their body doesn't physically tell them that it is satisfied, not in the same way that the body tells them it is satisfied when they eat "less-palatable" foods. I can (and will) definitely overeat prime rib, but I have never (and would never) overeat chicken because I don't enjoy the taste of chicken. But I don't think I have the physical neurotransmitter issue that Guyenet has identified in the brain scans of some of his study participants because my body clearly feels fully satisfied by a small amount of prime rib -- the fullness and satiety systems work exactly as they should -- yet I will continue eating unless I make a concerted, conscious effort to stop myself.
Trillex is offline  
Old 01-06-2013, 06:02 AM   #741
Junior LCF Member
 
southernbellexx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 16
Gallery: southernbellexx
Stats: 213/203/160
Start Date: 01/02/13
I agree, I don't think it's a bad thing...in most people. I think I just take it to another level LOL and I definitely need help with that! And now that I think about it...you are right. If it's something I'm not crazy about, I will be satisfied with a reasonable serving. If it's something I love, I will keep eating, even if I KNOW I should be full.

This is where it gets frustrating because people think we are fat because we eat too much. Yes, that is true...but there is so much more behind it!
southernbellexx is offline  
Old 01-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #742
Major LCF Poster!
 
Trillex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 1,202
Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Well, I gave up cheese starting on Friday. And it actually *felt* like more of a dramatic change than the initial change to Atkins from my previous eating habits. My mind played tricks with me all weekend -- I didn't *feel* like eating anything. For some reason, my mind seemed to rebel harder against giving up cheese than it did to giving up carbs. This fact has convinced me that taking a break from cheese was the right thing to do.

I went to the market this morning and bought a lot of seafood, because I don't generally put cheese on seafood. The shocking (and slightly sad) thing is that I spent less on a cart full of salmon, crab legs, and shrimp than I usually spend on cheese. Confession: I was spending about $70 per week on imported cheeses.

I seem to be a bit better adjusted today, with regard to food. My first meal was curried shrimp and I looked forward to eating it. So, maybe I've made a bit of progress...?
Trillex is offline  
Old 01-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #743
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 84
Gallery: Miche124
Stats: 192.5/183/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: October 13, 2012
Why did you give up cheese?

I truly admire your commitment to this way of eating, but from the perspective of someone who has dieted for more than 40 years, I'm concerned that in your quest to take control of your desire to overeat, you may be putting more obstacles in your path than is wise. For the long haul we should be embracing those things that bring us pleasure (and are permitted) while dieting. Otherwise over time the psychological effects of deprivation can sneak up and sabotage the best of plans. Generally, the more restrictive a diet is, the less sustainable it is over a long period of time. I also am not sure that anyone can take permanent control over complex behaviors whose causes may be deep-seated.
Miche124 is offline  
Old 01-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #744
Major LCF Poster!
 
Trillex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 1,202
Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miche124 View Post
Why did you give up cheese?

I truly admire your commitment to this way of eating, but from the perspective of someone who has dieted for more than 40 years, I'm concerned that in your quest to take control of your desire to overeat, you may be putting more obstacles in your path than is wise. For the long haul we should be embracing those things that bring us pleasure (and are permitted) while dieting. Otherwise over time the psychological effects of deprivation can sneak up and sabotage the best of plans. Generally, the more restrictive a diet is, the less sustainable it is over a long period of time. I also am not sure that anyone can take permanent control over complex behaviors whose causes may be deep-seated.
I gave up cheese because I really freaked myself out on Christmas Day when I ate dessert -- even though it was on-plan food -- after I was physically stuffed. It felt like I lost control over something that I *thought* I had control over. I thought that all of these months of eating to satisfy hunger had taught me to actually eat to satisfy hunger. Then, I took a hard look at how I've been eating and I realized that I'm not actually doing that on a daily basis because I've been eating cheese when I'm not actually hungry. I don't want to behave the way I've behaved in the passt because I ate myself into a very unhealthy physical state.

I see your point, though, and I totally agree with you -- I wouldn't even consider giving up cheese to speed my rate of weight loss. And I never even considered doing Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig or any sort of diet that would eliminate the rich, creamy foods that I like. The main reason my trainer recommended Atkins to me was because he knows me well enough to know that this diet is made up of my favorite foods and he felt that, because I enjoy this type of food, I would be able to consistently stick with the plan.

Over the weekend, when I realized how attached I am to cheese, that really convinced me that I need to spend some time without it because I don't think I've ever treated food the way it's supposed to be treated. But I'm rethinking that position after reading your post because maybe I'm being overly obsessive about this. Maybe giving up cheese out of *fear* is more obsessive and ultimately harmful than simply enjoying cheese for the sake of its own enjoyment. My brothers, my trainer, my closest friends are all bodybuilders and they've been telling me every single day of the past 7 months that I "need to eat for fuel, not fun" -- I actually get "thinspiration" texts to remind me of this. This influence has definitely affected my mindset -- I thought their influence was making me a stronger person, because it has made me a healthier person. But maybe I should reconsider whether I want to try to be as nutrient-obsessed as a bunch of competitive bodybuilders.

Either way -- whether I'm so obsessed with food that I eliminate every item of food that I enjoy, or whether I'm so obsessed with food that I spend hours reveling in absurd amounts of it -- I don't think either course of action will fulfill my goal to be an emotionally healthy adult with regard to food, no matter what I weigh. Honestly, I just don't know what is the best thing to do about this. And to be honest with you, right now I'm actually terrified of cheese. I know that sounds crazy! And I hate that I've become the crazy person in a very sane thread. But I'm actually afraid of becoming the person that I was -- and I don't mean regaining the weight, but rather that I'm terrified of going back to a lifestyle of genuinely absurd eating.

I realize that I may be over-thinking this. Atkins Induction limits cheese to less than 4 ounces per day, so I have only eaten 4 ounces or less of cheese each day since May -- except for Sundays and holidays (including my birthday). So I have engaged in moderation and maybe that's good enough. Maybe I just need to chill the heck out and follow the diet, instead of trying to use this diet to reshape my mind until it's *perfect*. There's just something about the *way* that I enjoy cheese that makes me feel like I'm doing something that I will eventually have to pay a high price for. But maybe I've watched so many of those drug intervention reality shows that I'm seeing myself as some sort of junkie when I'm not. I honestly don't know.
Trillex is offline  
Old 01-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #745
Senior LCF Member
 
Big Stevie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 837
Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
Trillex I think you are being to hard on yourself. You can't eliminate every joy you have with food. Food is central to our lives and an important to our social lives. You are eating within plan, losing weight, so you are doing just fine. If you get too ridged you will be missing out on stuff you don't need to. But you know yourself better than anyone so do what makes you feel safe.

At what point have we actually changed and formed new habits and gotten rid of the old ones? At 50 pounds down you are probably there or really close if not. Think about it. Give yourself a break. We here know the changed person even if you don't. Your doing awesome.

Last edited by Big Stevie; 01-07-2013 at 07:40 PM..
Big Stevie is offline  
Old 01-07-2013, 10:05 PM   #746
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 84
Gallery: Miche124
Stats: 192.5/183/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: October 13, 2012
Speaking just for myself: the reason I don't do WW is because for me, it draws too much focus to eating, recipes, desserts, etc. I've learned that I need to avoid that focus as much as possible, because it stimulates my appetite. Trillex and Big Stevie, you both enjoy perusing recipes and making really delicious food. That works great for you, and you're both losing lots of weight. You're finding enjoyment in the process of preparation and that helps you stay on track.

Trillex, please know I'm not trying to put any additional pressure on you, so take or leave my comments, but I'd had the same thought that perhaps you can benefit from the experience and help from your trainer and friends without completely incorporating the mindset of bodybuilders. Your goals are not the same goals. None of us really can control everything, and quite possibly we can't control anything. Making peace with imperfection may be one of the lessons we learn as we change how we eat.

I know you like poetry. Mary Oliver in Wild Geese says:
You do not have to be good.
You do not have to walk on your knees
For a hundred miles through the desert, repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves
.

Be gentle with yourself, all of us.
Miche124 is offline  
Old 01-08-2013, 03:28 AM   #747
Senior LCF Member
 
alonewithyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Norway
Posts: 650
Gallery: alonewithyou
Stats: 5'4, 150 lbs
WOE: Atkins >20 carbs a day
Start Date: 09-01-10/10-29-12/01-10-13/07-29-13
Is protein powder allowed on induction?

I'll be joining again 10/1-13 (because it's 2 days before my period and I always get my period when I start LC)! YES. I will do it. I'll do induction with NO SWEETS. I'll try at least... I plan on keeping to it all year long this time (not induction, just LC). It's like one of my new year resolutions.

I WILL DO IT!!!! YEEES!!!
alonewithyou is offline  
Old 01-08-2013, 04:37 PM   #748
Major LCF Poster!
 
Trillex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 1,202
Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Thank you, Miche and Big Stevie, for your truly wonderful and caring insight. You've helped me see that I've been too hard on myself -- I'm not a perfect person but I'm a perfectionist, which is sort of like climbing mountains that don't exist.

My trainer buddy is on vacation in Las Vegas right now, but I talked with my brothers this morning and they both told me that they didn't mean to put pressure on me about enjoying food, they just want me to know that they feel as if I've slain a lot of my food demons and am no longer drowning in my lifestyle the way that I have in the past. I misinterpreted their support as criticism. I'm so glad that you're my forum buddies and that you were able to help me stop being *crazy*.

Cheers! HUGS!
Trillex is offline  
Old 01-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #749
Major LCF Poster!
 
Trillex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 1,202
Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonewithyou View Post
Is protein powder allowed on induction?

I'll be joining again 10/1-13 (because it's 2 days before my period and I always get my period when I start LC)! YES. I will do it. I'll do induction with NO SWEETS. I'll try at least... I plan on keeping to it all year long this time (not induction, just LC). It's like one of my new year resolutions.

I WILL DO IT!!!! YEEES!!!
There are a lot of protein powders that are quite low in carbs. You'll need to check the labels, though, because a lot of them are geared toward "growth" and include an equal amount of carbs as protein to encourage an "anabolic" environment. The carbs stimulate the body to release insulin, and insulin is the hormone that feeds protein into the muscle cells.

"Whey protein isolate" is quite popular with bodybuilders when they do ketogenic bodybuilding "cutting" cycles. Some of the powders are bad tasting and some are very grainy when they're mixed. So if you find one that looks like it will fit into the plan, you should probably look for reviews online before you spend money on it. I don't know what they cost in your area but a tub of whey isolate can cost US$40 or US$50, so you should probably make sure you enjoy the taste before you buy.

Welcome back!
Trillex is offline  
Old 01-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #750
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 84
Gallery: Miche124
Stats: 192.5/183/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: October 13, 2012
Trillex, I'm so glad you're feeling more forgiving of yourself. I'm sure your family is as proud and excited for you as we are!

After 3 months of turkey, chicken, chicken, and turkey, tonight this ex-veggie cooked beef for the first time in over 30 years. I grilled a rib eye steak and I ate every bite! Such moments are worth more than gold.
Miche124 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:32 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.