Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #691
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Miche124
Stats: 192.5/183/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: October 13, 2012
Adding to the following list:

Weight 12/23/12 183.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miche124 View Post
This is my entire history since beginning this:
Weight 12/15/12 186
Weight 12/08/12 185
Weight 11/30/12 184
Weight 11/24/12 185.5
Weight 11/17/12 186
Weight 11/10/12 186.5
Weight 11/03/12 187.5
Weight 10/27/12 188.5
Weight 10/20/12 189.5
Weight 10/18/12 192.5
I'm glad to report that after making some changes, I'm no longer gaining and am again at a lower weight. I eliminated most of the optional foods, cut back the calories a bit, and increased fiber.

My son and daughter are hosting Christmas at their apartment, and are planning to offer lots of low-carb foods. Bless them!

Just an aside: yesterday I ordered a diet Coke at a movie theater and I wondered what would happen if they had actually given me a real Coke by mistake. I doubt I would have noticed the difference in taste, but it probably would have seriously messed up my ketosis. Out of curiosity I tested when I got home and for the first time the level barely registered. I'm hoping this was just due to my having had lots of fluids, diluting the result, but I still wonder.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #692
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
I'm so happy for you, Michel! Not just for the weight loss success, but also because you so much lighter and more hopeful. I'm just happy to hear thar you're feeling good.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #693
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
Glad you turned it around Miche. Keep experimenting and see what happens. It might have just been a temporary thing. You might be able to add those foods back without stalling.

Merry Christmas to all. It seems like there isn't as much anxiety around eating at Christmas time as there was at Thanksgiving. That is nice to see. Hope everyone has a great one. I will check back in a couple of days.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #694
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
haha nothing wrong with packing a small diet coke in your purse when you go to the movies!!!!
Old 12-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #695
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Christma-Chanu-Kwanza-Festivus, Induction Babies! I hope you all had a warm, wonderful, love-filled holiday.

I cooked a range of low-carb "treats" for myself, to enjoy yesterday. Things that I don't eat on a daily basis. I made a very rich cauliflower gratin, a crustless seasoned lamb pie with a flourless white sauce, jumbo lump crab cakes made with almond flour and coconut flour instead of panko crumbs, a remoulade sauce made with liquid splenda, eggnog creme brulee made with xylitol instead of sugar, and almond flour / walnut cookies made with xylitol instead of sugar.

I told myself that I didn't *have to* track my food intake yesterday -- I didn't track on Thanksgiving Day. Yesterday, though, I weighed, measured, and logged all of my food, as usual, even though I told myself I wouldn't do it. I guess I just felt like I've spent years eating without paying attention to what I was eating, and that I finally need to behave like an adult and take responsibility for my actions.

I must admit, though, yesterday I did eat beyond the point at which I was *satisfied*. I was absolutely satisfied and my stomach felt full after dinner but then I went ahead and ate creme brulee just because it was delicious. I'm not *upset* about that. My main goal was to hold on to my keto-adaptation. But eating that creme brulee when I was absolutely full makes me realize that I haven't *beaten* my problem with overeating.

For me, the mental game is the hardest part. I rigorously tested my blood sugar levels 30, 60, and 120 minutes after meals for a month, while I was eating "normally" before starting Atkins, and I found out that I don't have wild blood sugar swings -- no matter what I ate, my blood sugar never went above 115 mg/dl and never dropped precipitously. I've never in my life had physical cravings or been addicted to sweets. My problem with food is that I am a horribly spoiled brat -- I want what I want when I want it! It has nothing to do with what I physically *need* or physically *crave*. I think I'm lucky, and the fact that I don't get hungry easily has made sticking to the diet a lot *easier* for me. But I feel like my attitude toward food makes my long-term outlook more difficult. I need to change my mindset and learn that I can't -- and shouldn't -- get things that I want when I don't have a good reason for wanting them. Most people learn this behavior when they're, like, 4 years old. But yesterday I proved to myself that I still haven't learned this lesson.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #696
Senior LCF Member

Trillex, your menu sounds amazing! I love how you're nurturing yourself in celebration of Christmas, but in a way that's honoring your commitment to your diet and protecting the metabolic changes you've already created. I agree that it's important to admit to ourselves where our weaknesses lie, and to reward ourselves. After a lifetime of dieting I've learned that it's also important to remember that life is short, a food mistake won't kill us, and that eating is supposed to be joyous, especially among friends and family. We are sensuous creatures who require the pleasures our bodies can bring us.

My daughter entertained my mother, son, and I this year for the first time. She offered low-carb appetizers like nuts, cheeses, and a wonderful concoction of olives, olive oil, and feta cheese. At dinner there was a great salad, with olive oil and balsamic vinegar (carbs) for dressing, and I didn't skip it. She also made this treat: asparagus spears bundled with a thick good bacon slice wrapped around the middle, baked and broiled. Amazing. I brought my own turkey slices. After dinner we watched a movie but I couldn't forget the shortbread and fudge I had seen on the counter. Knowing I'd be thinking of that long beyond this day, I had a small piece of each, and was thus able to mentally put that to bed. Sometimes it's better to satisfy a craving on the spot rather than spend days trying to satisfy it by other means, ultimately overeating more than that craved item would have been.

I don't know how much those tiny bits messed up my keto-adaptation, but considering that many people are losing on plans much more generous in carbs that this induction, I assume I won't be starting over with the induction flu. I hope.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:23 PM   #697
Senior LCF Member

I forgot to mention that I gave myself a Christmas present, a quality food scale. The funky one I had from the 80's was less accurate than my own eye. Now I'll have more accuracy when checking my estimations or troubleshooting any problems that might develop. I love that I can even put a plate on the scale and then zero it out before placing food on the plate.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:53 PM   #698
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Swinegeart
I'm here to start induction (again) tomorrow! I'm excited and ready! I have been on and off low carbing for about 5 years. Had a baby in that time, gained all plus more back, lost, gained, it seems like an endless cycle. I'm ready to make this cycle end... Finally! By the way, my name is Stephanie :-)

Last edited by Swinegeart; 12-26-2012 at 10:53 PM.. Reason: Added my name
Old 12-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #699
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I forgot to mention that I gave myself a Christmas present, a quality food scale. The funky one I had from the 80's was less accurate than my own eye. Now I'll have more accuracy when checking my estimations or troubleshooting any problems that might develop. I love that I can even put a plate on the scale and then zero it out before placing food on the plate.
My scale does the same thing and it's GREAT! It's so convenient when adding things to salads because I can just put the plate on the scale, set it to zero, add an ingredient, then reset to zero, then reset after each new ingredient to see exactly how many grams of each ingredient I have added to the dish. It's so convenient!

I must admit, though, it took me about two months to realize that I can reset it to zero after I've added things -- before that, I was just doing the math every time I added food to a dish. A friend of mine gave me the scale, so it didn't come with instructions. But I can't believe I didn't push all of the buttons right away just to see what they did! HaHa!
Old 12-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #700
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinegeart View Post
I'm here to start induction (again) tomorrow! I'm excited and ready! I have been on and off low carbing for about 5 years. Had a baby in that time, gained all plus more back, lost, gained, it seems like an endless cycle. I'm ready to make this cycle end... Finally! By the way, my name is Stephanie :-)
Hi, Stephanie! Congratulations on your baby! And welcome back to Atkins!
Old 12-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #701
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Swinegeart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
Hi, Stephanie! Congratulations on your baby! And welcome back to Atkins!
thanks! He's 3 now, but that just shows how long i've been off track!
Old 12-29-2012, 10:41 PM   #702
Major LCF Poster!

Monthly Progress

Hiya! It's my last weigh-in/measure day of 2012! I'm a couple of days early this month, since my trainer (who takes the measurements and weighs me) will be in Vegas with his girlfriend next week.

There's good news: I'm finishing this year much stronger and healthier than I finished last year! And I've been faithful to the diet since the day I started -- to be honest, I can't take much credit for that because I genuinely enjoy the food and that's 99% of the reason I've been able to stay on track. And it's been easy to stick to my workouts because I have a trainer who is a dear friend that has been amazingly good to me even while *cruelly* pushing me past my self-imposed physical limits. My trainer -- who has been a teacher as well as a physical taskmaster -- made me read a dozen different books about nutrition and physiology, and I'm grateful for that because I think my mind is in a better place now with regard to taking responsibility for my health. I am also grateful to him for teaching me to think of this program as a quantitative, calculated project to build a stronger body, rather than as simply a way to lose weight. I think that guidance has made me more patient and careful in my approach than I would otherwise have been.

Now, here are the numbers:

Monthly Weight History
11 May: 235 pounds
11 June: 225 pounds
11 July: 215 pounds
11 August: 206.5 pounds
11 September: 198 pounds
11 October: 196.5 pounds
31 October: 189 pounds
30 November: 186.5 pounds
29 December (today): 181.5 pounds

Total Lost In 2012
53.5 pounds

Measured Size Loss From 11 May To Today
Ankles: Left -0.50", Right -0.50"
Calves: Left -1.50", Right -1.50"
Thighs: Left -3.50", Right -3.25"
Hips: -4.00"
Waist: -4.00"
Upper Arms: Left 0.00", Right 0.00"
Wrists: Left -0.50", Right -0.50"

I have also taken some photos of myself wearing the exact same clothes that I was photographed in at my starting weight.

This photo was taken during my first month
(235 pounds, May 2012, FRONT VIEW)

This photo was taken during my seventh month
(186.5 pounds, December 2012, FRONT VIEW)

This photo was taken during my first month
(235 pounds, May 2012, SIDE VIEW)

This photo was taken during my seventh month
(186.5 pounds, December 2012, SIDE VIEW)

Here is a photo of me with some of my wonderful, amazing students on the last day of classes in April. I started the program the next day, however, I spent the first month eating "normally" in order to do some pre-planning work that included checking my fasting and post-meal blood glucose levels, and logging my daily calorie intake so that I would have a baseline to which I could compare my diet progress.

Here is a photo of me, wearing the same outfit, taken after seven months

I have also kept a list of some significant improvements that I have noticed. I noticed most of these improvements by my third or fourth month on the program.
  • I no longer get tired and out of breath when I walk short distances
  • I no longer feel pain in my lower back when I walk
  • I can comfortably stand for long periods of time
  • I can walk long distances without tiring, including, walking 1.5 miles to the grocery store and then 1.5 miles back while carrying groceries
  • I no longer feel like I'm going to faint when I drag my heavy groceries into the house
  • My arms and legs don't lose circulation when I sleep
  • I can fasten my ankle-strap shoes without getting dizzy and lightheaded when I bend over
  • I can now run across the street when the light turns yellow, I don't have to wait for the light to change again before I cross
  • I can detangle my hair in the shower without my arms getting exhausted
  • I can cross my legs
  • I can zip boots over my calves
I'm not going to lie, these past seven months have felt like seven YEARS of dieting! I've had to make choices that were not always easy or expedient -- I've spent nights out with friends and not had a single cocktail; I've been to all-day meetings and events where I didn't eat anything at all because I refused to eat any food whose contents I couldn't verify; I've been weighing and measuring and logging every single thing that has gone into my mouth, which was hugely annoying for the first few months (although it has become a comfortable habit, now).

It's tempting to say: This diet is great! You get to eat rich food! It really isn't that *easy*, though, in my opinion. If it were an *easy* thing to do, then every obese person would do it, lose to goal, and stay there. Even though I genuinely enjoy the food -- and my family has spent lots of time and money making sure my fridge and pantries are stocked with the food my program requires -- I'm still on a calculated plan of dietary restriction, which requires constant vigilance and hard work.

But whenever I've felt annoyed at the choices I've had to make -- like watching everybody around me drink hard cider and share cheese fries on a Friday night -- I've thought back to last winter, when I was heading for the bus stop as the bus pulled up but I was too out-of-shape to run for it so I was left standing in 20-degree weather waiting for the next bus. I remember thinking to myself, "I would give ANYTHING to be able to run for the stupid bus!" I remember exactly how I felt at that moment -- I would honestly have given all of my savings just to be a normal, healthy person who could run half a block to catch a bus. Unfortunately, money couldn't buy it. I've had to pay for the privilege of walking and running by giving up the cheese fries and cider on Friday nights. Some days, that trade feels like a bargain. Other days, I wish I could just throw money at the problem! Today, I feel like every choice I've made has been totally worth it, because I am physically quite strong and I have enough stamina to walk 3 miles into town without breaking a sweat, while wearing 4-inch heels. I'm not yet at goal, but I can now do things that would literally have killed me at this time last year -- or that I would (not literally) have been willing to kill someone else to gain the ability for.

It's been a good year, Induction Babies! I hope you feel as fortunate as I do to have taken these steps. Thank you for being on this journey with me!
Old 12-30-2012, 09:21 AM   #703
Senior LCF Member

I am so thrilled for you, Trillex!! Even this far along, you're still losing at a great rate. I love how you've documented so much of your journey, shared the personal costs and the extent of your hard, hard work, as well as your non-scale victories. I'm curious as to why you've paid so much attention to your blood sugar along the way. Are/were you diabetic?

I had a hunch that you're a teacher. And I must say, you're a knockout! (What I would give to be such a beauty at the endpoint of all this!)

I'm waiting for the arrival of an electronic pedometer that rewards progress with real world donations to charity and progress in a fantasy game. This is right up my alley, as I'm a gamer nerd.

Last edited by Miche124; 12-30-2012 at 09:26 AM..
Old 12-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #704
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I am so thrilled for you, Trillex!! Even this far along, you're still losing at a great rate. I love how you've documented so much of your journey, shared the personal costs and the extent of your hard, hard work, as well as your non-scale victories. I'm curious as to why you've paid so much attention to your blood sugar along the way. Are/were you diabetic?

I had a hunch that you're a teacher. And I must say, you're a knockout! (What I would give to be such a beauty at the endpoint of all this!)

I'm waiting for the arrival of an electronic pedometer that rewards progress with real world donations to charity and progress in a fantasy game. This is right up my alley, as I'm a gamer nerd.
Happy New Year, Miche! I feel like you, Big Stevie, and I have come a LONG way together this year! We have quietly, but steadily, kept going. And I'm honestly prouder of that persistence than of any amount of weight loss. I'm SUPER proud of you, Miche! You've faced some real challenges -- especially that illness you had when you started the diet -- but your integrity has been unbreakable and you've soldiered on.

I started the blood glucose testing -- and all of the pre-diet diagnostic testing -- under the instruction my trainer buddy, and the advice of one of my close friends who is a bodybuilder and who is currently working on his master's degree in exercise physiology. Most bodybuilding diets cycle carbs in a way that re-fills glycogen stores before heavy weight-training workouts. But my guys wanted me to stay keto-adapted, and not cycle carbs to fuel my workouts, because I have such a large amount of bodyfat to lose. A potential problem with this approach is that big bursts of strength or speed -- anaerobic exertion that pushes the body beyond beyond a certain threshold -- will always consume glucose, no matter how long a person has been keto-adapted. That's just the way the human body works. But even on a ketogenic diet, glucose is always available in the bloodstream and can be used to fuel this exertion.

But before I started doing heavy weight-training, my guys needed to know if I had irregular blood glucose patterns that could put me in danger of driving my blood glucose levels into the hypoglycemic range when anaerobic exertion pulled glucose out of my bloodstream as fuel. Happily, my pre-diet testing showed us that my blood glucose levels are extremely well-regulated -- not only did my blood glucose never rise above 115 mg/dl, even when I ate concentrated sweets, the level also dropped at a steady and safe pace after eating. Based on these blood glucose testing results, my guys felt that eating sufficient protein would give my body enough fuel to make blood glucose for heavy weight-training, and that my body would keep my blood glucose well-regulated and within a safe range. They were right! I've continued testing and my blood glucose levels are very steady, even after heavy workouts. I'm not sure what happens to my blood glucose *during* workouts, but I haven't had any hypoglycemic symptoms or any episodes of weakness or lightheadedness.

I had not heard of this pedometer, but I just googled it. And I see an item called "Striiv." I'm looking into this now! I have been walking a lot since I've lost weight and have gained some stamina and I would love to connect that walking with giving to charity! I've never been a gamer -- I have two brothers who never let me (a girl) have more than a few moments on the family PlayStation -- but I've always been obsessed with fantasy worlds, from the Marvel Universe, to Dune, to Lord of the Rings, and anything Arthurian. I started my annual re-reading of The Once and Future King on Christmas Day, and I'm in Camelot whenever I walk through the woods around my house! Yes, I'm Guinevere. But also a bit of Boadicea, Warrior Queen. It would be so amazing to have a pedometer game to go with that!
Old 12-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #705
Senior LCF Member

Hopefully you've read Mists of Avalon, my first and favorite Arthurian read!!

I've had a hard time getting back into walking because of really bad lower back pain when walking, such as you mentioned. I think even my paltry loss of (almost) ten pounds might help with that, and then the walking will help with more loss which will mean less pain...and so on...and so on...

Or not. Only one way to find out!
Old 12-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #706
Senior LCF Member

Hey my friends I am back. Good news Trillex and Miche welcome aboard Stephanie. (Many of us have restarted including me.)

Christmas went great. I stayed on plan while everyone around me indulged in sweets and drinks. My sister brought 12 different kinds of cookies and treat to Christmas and I wasn't even tempt. I feel like I am past that now, Thank God. I brought deviled eggs and sliced cucumbers for appetizers and made broccoli; and fried cabbage to go along with the Christmas ham. Everyone enjoyed the cabbage even though I put a little too much splenda and it was a too sweet for me.

Last two days have been a challenge eating wise. My niece (whom I lived with from the time she was 2 till 14 years) had her first baby. I stayed at the hospital for 24 hours and didn't bring my own food with the exception of some nuts. I am sure I overate on the nuts, but I was able to get some salads and decent food as well. Again, everyone around me snacking on sweets. I feel great and the baby is beautiful. Back on track today.

I am staying off the scale for now. Just don't want to focus on it. I lost another notch on my belt so I am sure I am moving in the right direction.

Happy New Years to everyone. I look forward to staying on track and losing 40 more pounds this next year.

Last edited by Big Stevie; 12-30-2012 at 05:05 PM..
Old 12-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #707
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
I've thought back to last winter, when I was heading for the bus stop as the bus pulled up but I was too out-of-shape to run for it so I was left standing in 20-degree weather waiting for the next bus. I remember thinking to myself, "I would give ANYTHING to be able to run for the stupid bus!" I remember exactly how I felt at that moment -- I would honestly have given all of my savings just to be a normal, healthy person who could run half a block to catch a bus. Unfortunately, money couldn't buy it.
Thanks for sharing this Trillex. For me, it was going to a sporting event with a client and not fitting in the chair at the stadium.

As we get thinner and more healthy, we need to hold onto these memories to get us to the goal and help keep us there.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #708
Senior LCF Member

Big Stevie, how exciting to have a new baby in the family -- especially with the mom being so special to you! What a good uncle you were, staying at the hospital for so long! I think you got enough karma points from that to offset any extra nuts you may have indulged in. Plus, congratulations on staying strong in the face of so much temptation.

Happy New Years to you all, and may we keep on losing to keep on winning!
Old 12-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #709
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Big Stevie, how exciting to have a new baby in the family -- especially with the mom being so special to you! What a good uncle you were, staying at the hospital for so long!
Holding a one hour old little girl is an amazing experience. I adopted all my kids so I missed out on that part. So yeah, I didn't want to miss it.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:58 PM   #710
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hopefully you've read Mists of Avalon, my first and favorite Arthurian read!!

I've had a hard time getting back into walking because of really bad lower back pain when walking, such as you mentioned. I think even my paltry loss of (almost) ten pounds might help with that, and then the walking will help with more loss which will mean less pain...and so on...and so on...

Or not. Only one way to find out!
I really hope your lower back pain clears up! I wouldn't wish that pain on anyone! I don't remember exactly when my back pain left. I first noticed it in about my third month, and I hadn't lost *much* weight by then. But I'm not sure if my weight loss got rid of the back pain or if exercising got rid of the back pain.

I love Mists of Avalon! I read it when I was way too young for the subject matter. But I'm glad I read it at that point, when I was about 8 years old, because that is specifically where I learned to look for the other side of the story any time I believe someone is being a villain. I think it made my life much happier, and with less drama, because I understood that no villain is ever a villain in his or her own mind. I think that understanding made high school and college much less painful and more productive than they would otherwise have been.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:02 PM   #711
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
Hey my friends I am back. Good news Trillex and Miche welcome aboard Stephanie. (Many of us have restarted including me.)

Christmas went great. I stayed on plan while everyone around me indulged in sweets and drinks. My sister brought 12 different kinds of cookies and treat to Christmas and I wasn't even tempt. I feel like I am past that now, Thank God. I brought deviled eggs and sliced cucumbers for appetizers and made broccoli; and fried cabbage to go along with the Christmas ham. Everyone enjoyed the cabbage even though I put a little too much splenda and it was a too sweet for me.

Last two days have been a challenge eating wise. My niece (whom I lived with from the time she was 2 till 14 years) had her first baby. I stayed at the hospital for 24 hours and didn't bring my own food with the exception of some nuts. I am sure I overate on the nuts, but I was able to get some salads and decent food as well. Again, everyone around me snacking on sweets. I feel great and the baby is beautiful. Back on track today.

I am staying off the scale for now. Just don't want to focus on it. I lost another notch on my belt so I am sure I am moving in the right direction.

Happy New Years to everyone. I look forward to staying on track and losing 40 more pounds this next year.
Congratulation, Big Stevie! There's nothing as beautiful as a newborn baby.

Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2012, 02:10 PM   #712
Senior LCF Member

I hesitate to post links here, so I'll post the full text of a very inspiring post by Michael Moore:

I am now in Week 42 of my walks. Each day, 30 minutes, that's it. Thousands of you have joined me since that Sunday night on March 18 when, as a joke, I said I was going for a walk. I had read that morning in the paper that there were now more people in the U.S. on anti-depressants than those who go to the movies. I tweeted out that maybe that's the problem -- perhaps if people got out and went to the movies more they might feel better. This unleashed a lively conversation about mood-altering drugs, the lousy movies these days in theaters, the rip-off prices for 3D films, etc. Finally, someone wrote: "Sometimes I think what I need is just a brisk walk." I tweeted, "Hey, there's an idea! I'm putting my shoes on right now." I went out and came back home after 30 minutes -- and a few hundred of you had amazingly joined me where you live. So I went walking the next night, probably out of some sort of obligation because so many had written to say "please let's do it again tonight!" So I did. And the night after that. By the end of the week it was hard to determine how many thousands were now going out with me on these "virtual walks" in hundreds of cities and towns, but it had taken off like a rocket and so we all went walking every night from that point on.

Now it's 250 days later. What a simple, great idea that person had! Some have asked, "Why are we walking?" "What's the cause?" There is no cause other than to go for a walk. We do it just because it feels good. We do it because we can. We do it because it's free and it takes no time. All you need to know is how to put one foot in front of the other (or, for the disabled who've joined in, by any means necessary). It's the perfect slacker/schlub activity.

I am often asked "How much weight have you lost from all this walking?" For a while I didn't understand the question. I mean, why would I want to lose anything? I have enough trouble finding my keys! Then I got it -- skinny people (1/3 of the country) want us, the majority, to be like them. That's so nice of them.

But the truth is, exercise does not work, diets do not work, feeling crummy does not work. Nothing works. My advice: Quit trying to be something you're not, be happy with the life you've been given, and just go for a pleasant walk outside. With me. Wherever you are. Get off the treadmill, stop drinking diet Coke, throw out all the rules. It's all a scam and it conspires to keep you miserable. If it says "low-fat" or "sugar-free" or "just 100 calories!" throw it out. Remember, one of the main tenets of capitalism is to have the consumer filled with fear, insecurity, envy and unhappiness so that we can spend, spend, spend our way out of it and,... just feel better for a little while. But we don't, do we? The path to happiness - and deep down, we all know this -- is created by love, and being kind to oneself, sharing a sense of community with others, becoming a participant instead of a spectator, and being in motion. Moving. Moving around all day. Lifting things, even if it's yourself. Going for a walk every day will change your thinking and have a ripple effect. You'll find yourself only eating when you're truly hungry. And if you're not hungry, go clean your room, ... or call a friend on the phone. Without knowing it, you'll starting eating like the French (there is no French word for "fast-food") -- and you will feel better. You do not feel better admonishing yourself or beating yourself up or setting up a bunch of unrealistic rules and goals with all the do's and dont's that are just begging to be broken. You wanna know something? I eat ice cream every... day. I drink a regular Coke every single day. I put butter on things. But I also walk every day. Some days now, I walk twice. And now I've started to do some push-ups and lifting stuff. It's building muscle, and in doing so, has created an extra furnace to burn stuff and create energy. Weird! That, in turn, makes me sleep 7-8 hours a night which is another game-changer. And all the walking and lifting makes me thirsty, so that makes me drink more water -- another huge plus!

So, you can see from the photo of me up in the box that something has changed. I have no idea how much weight I've lost and I don't care. I don't care about that or diets or home gym equipment or rules about what I can or cannot eat or anything other than making sure I go on my walk today. That's it. That's the big secret. It costs nothing. I feel great. I can see my feet! There they are! Hello, feet! Wanna go for a walk? The feet say YES! Ask yours right now. And if you want, join me. But do NOT go on that walk with me if you are doing so to "get fit", "be healthy", or "lose weight". You are fine just the way you are. Only walk outside with me right now because you know it might just feel good, because it's a beautiful day, or someone is joining in with you, the fresh air is invigorating, you have to drive down to the drug store but you realize you can walk there, or simply because it's just nice to be alive for one more day. Walk to walk and nothing else -- and the other stuff will take care of itself.

I'm heading outside in an hour. Join me. And let me know how it went!
Old 01-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #713
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I'm heading outside in an hour. Join me. And let me know how it went!
I'm going for a walk right now, because it's a beautiful day!
Old 01-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #714
Senior LCF Member

My secret plan, decided about a year ago, was to postpone exercise until I'd lost 10 pounds, because the pain issues were making it too difficult.

I'm proud to say I went for a 35 minute walk today, the first time since I was 15 pounds heavier. Wow, what a difference! This time I had no back pain while walking (crossing my fingers for tomorrow), and only some mile hip aches, which was to be expected after being so sedentary. I recently learned to engage my gluts to support my lower back (rather than the useless abs advice), and I think that helped. I used my Striiv pedometer, which made it fun to come home to a bunch of congratulations and prizes, too.

Yay, us!
Old 01-02-2013, 12:12 AM   #715
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I'm proud to say I went for a 35 minute walk today, the first time since I was 15 pounds heavier. Wow, what a difference! This time I had no back pain while walking (crossing my fingers for tomorrow), and only some mile hip aches, which was to be expected after being so sedentary.
I've made a very candid video of myself talking about my past troubles with mobility and about how good I currently feel while walking and moving about. I think I've got to do everything I can to make sure I remember how far I've come during these past few months, so that I never fall back into harmful patterns.

I *should* have always been grateful for having two functioning legs, but I clearly didn't appreciate my legs enough to avoid abusing them with excessive eating.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:16 AM   #716
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
My niece (whom I lived with from the time she was 2 till 14 years) had her first baby.
It just occurred to me: This is an actual INDUCTION BABY! HaHa!
Old 01-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #717
Senior LCF Member

Trillex, I love your idea of videotaping a message to yourself. I've written letters to myself in the past, in order to have some means of reminding myself how good it feels to be lighter and more mobile. It's easy for those memories to fade. I remember when I felt that surely exercise was the Fountain of Youth! I wanted to shout it to the rooftops, because I knew how life-changing it could be. Michael Moore's post reminded me of that.

Breast cancer interrupted that state of mind for me, and the year of treatment and then years of recovery from treatment, then cancer meds for years, combined with family troubles...and I'd lost my way once again. I no longer trusted my body in the same way as I once did -- it had betrayed me. All my healthy vegetarian eating and clean living didn't prevent cancer, and if that crazy thing could happen out of the blue, no family history, then anything could. I had to give up the illusion of control that we all carry. I thought: if my efforts toward health couldn't prevent such a thing, then why bother with all that effort?

It's taken almost 6 years to come back to the edge of believing in this possibility of lightness once again. I like to think of it as lightness, rather than "thinness", because lightness implies a lifting of burdens, and that's closer to the state of being that I want in my life at this point. I remember fairly levitating up the stairs at a lower weight, compared to the slow stomp it became. I still remember briskly skipping down the stairs, while now I take them slowly, holding the rail, not trusting my footing or balance. I don't know if that particular ease will return in my 50's but I have to hold the images in mind if I'm ever to come close to that again.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #718
Senior LCF Member

Best of luck to everyone in 2013. I was just looking back in this thread and noticed all of the folks we have lost. I had a feeling of sadness. They came here with hope bUt have left for whatever reason. This program works as long as you stay on the path. I surely hope we all stick around for 2013.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #719
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Best of luck to everyone in 2013. I was just looking back in this thread and noticed all of the folks we have lost. I had a feeling of sadness. They came here with hope bUt have left for whatever reason. This program works as long as you stay on the path. I surely hope we all stick around for 2013.
I was thinking the exact same thing on New Year's Eve Day, Big Stevie! I lurked on this forum for a couple of months before I joined. And the Induction Babies thread was the main thing that made me want to participate in the forum. I thought that the people in this thread were so kind, so grounded, and so reasonable about what they were looking to get from a diet, that this thread just felt like a home to me. I truly, in my heart, like Neezie and Kerensa and Marilyn and Betty and Tilly and ChrisF. They were decent, wonderful people and I think they made a supportive, fun team.

You're right about staying on the path. No tool will work for you unless you use it. Betty had thyroid issues. And Marilyn had a heart scare and her doctor put her on a different diet. So I understand why they had to take a different path. But Kerensa was making great progress, and she and I started at a similar weight so I'm just heartbroken that she isn't still on the path with us. Not being here in the forum doesn't mean that Kerensa isn't out there burning her excess fat and living a healthy life -- I honestly hope she's strong and healthy, wherever she is and whatever she's doing. But when I read posts from people who went off the diet and came back after gaining their weight back and becoming physically unwell, I desperately hope that situation hasn't happened to any of the erstwhile Induction Babies.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #720
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Trillex, I love your idea of videotaping a message to yourself. I've written letters to myself in the past, in order to have some means of reminding myself how good it feels to be lighter and more mobile. It's easy for those memories to fade. I remember when I felt that surely exercise was the Fountain of Youth! I wanted to shout it to the rooftops, because I knew how life-changing it could be. Michael Moore's post reminded me of that.

Breast cancer interrupted that state of mind for me, and the year of treatment and then years of recovery from treatment, then cancer meds for years, combined with family troubles...and I'd lost my way once again. I no longer trusted my body in the same way as I once did -- it had betrayed me. All my healthy vegetarian eating and clean living didn't prevent cancer, and if that crazy thing could happen out of the blue, no family history, then anything could. I had to give up the illusion of control that we all carry. I thought: if my efforts toward health couldn't prevent such a thing, then why bother with all that effort?

It's taken almost 6 years to come back to the edge of believing in this possibility of lightness once again. I like to think of it as lightness, rather than "thinness", because lightness implies a lifting of burdens, and that's closer to the state of being that I want in my life at this point. I remember fairly levitating up the stairs at a lower weight, compared to the slow stomp it became. I still remember briskly skipping down the stairs, while now I take them slowly, holding the rail, not trusting my footing or balance. I don't know if that particular ease will return in my 50's but I have to hold the images in mind if I'm ever to come close to that again.
The more I learn about you, Miche, the more awed I am by your strength of character. You are an absolute champion of a human being!
Closed Thread