Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #661
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Doozer
Just a couple of days Miche, I feel a little better now... it reminds me of detoxing.... my skin feels lighter.... wow, this is surprising.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #662
Junior LCF Member

I'm feeling better, bit woozy but energised. Not sure if that was a response to the diet or not, but that last hour was intense. Going to rest now.... will check back later
Old 12-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #663
Junior LCF Member

I've probably done the worst thing, but I met some friends and had a few beers.
I feel good now.

Tomorrow back on lo carb.

As I said, I'm not on Atkins, just trying ketosis for a quick push to lo carb lifestyle.

I feel so much better now.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #664
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Stevie. I use an online tracker, maybe some of the info was a bit inaccurate, it certainly seemed like I had consumed more calories than that. I was actually trying to max my calories without overshooting my carb limit.

I'll definitely increase my water consumption, and salt... last night's experience was very intense, and a bit scary since i really didn't expect anything like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
Hey Doozer weclome aboard. You need more calories. In fact, don't even worry about calories for the next two weeks just eat until you are satisfied. I end up eating somewhere around 1,800 calories or so, 1,000 is crazy low. (for others 74kg is equal to 163 pounds). As far as water intake goes, shoot for 1 ounce for every two pounds of body weight. So make sure you are drinking 80 ounces of water a day.

If you keton sticks are really dark purple, that is just evidence that you don't have enough water in your system. Drink more.

You should try to keep your percentages around 60-65% fat, 30-35% protein and 5% carbs. There is a site called ******.com that allows you to enter the food you ate and it will figure the percentages for you. Use it for a few days and you will see where you need to make adjustments.

Everyone feels rough for a couple of days, but then you will feel great. Trust the diet.

Go eat! I would look to stay on Atkins. Just process through the stages quickly but use its methods to figure out where you need to be to maintain the weight and shape you want. When you start bringing back foods, pay close attention to how they make you feel and what they do to your body. You will discover a lot about how your body and mind work. Have fun.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:37 AM   #665
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alonewithyou
Stats: 5'4, 150 lbs
WOE: Atkins >20 carbs a day
Start Date: 09-01-10/10-29-12/01-10-13/07-29-13
The food for today, so far:
B: cottage cheese with a splash of HWC and vanilla stevia and coconut chips
L: Hamburger patty
S: Salami and cheese with a dab of sf ketchup + 2 squares of white sf chocolate

Later we'll be having chicken and salad. Not sure I've done induction 100% today, but I think I've eaten pretty clean.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #666
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Miche124
Stats: 192.5/183/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: October 13, 2012
My weight has stalled the past three weeks, at only a total 7 pounds of loss. I have eaten only the foods allowed, and am reminding myself of Dr. Phinney's advice:"When in doubt, eat less carb; when in doubt, eat more fat."

I require a lot of fiber (6 Tbsp. of flaxmeal daily), so usually have large salads. I probably am eating closer to 25 carbs.

I'm hoping that going back to the drawing board and closing some "loopholes" will get me back on track. Here's what I'm going to change until I start seeing a loss. I hate that it's in the direction of more restriction, especially with holiday season.
- smaller meals, "eat when hungry", "satisfied, not stuffed"
- carefully measure greens and veggies
- no nuts, bacon, cream, olives, or Splenda (have been using 1 Tbsp./day of Splenda)

I'd love to hear whether these changes are headed in the right direction, or whether I should be increasing rather than restricting something.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #667
Senior LCF Member

I know nuts can be dangerous. Cream in too big amounts as well. It has a lot of calories!
Old 12-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #668
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
I have had several stalls followed by large losses. I would say stay the course. Really watch the nuts. They are so easy to over eat without thinking. Measure them and eat them slowly.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #669
Senior LCF Member

Steve: Yep, I buy small packets containing an ounce of nuts each. That way I never overeat the nuts. Trader Joe's has them, if you're interested. You recommend not making changes, or making the changes? Not sure which course you suggest I stay to. =)

Last edited by Miche124; 12-10-2012 at 01:44 PM..
Old 12-11-2012, 08:10 AM   #670
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miche124 View Post
My weight has stalled the past three weeks, at only a total 7 pounds of loss. I have eaten only the foods allowed, and am reminding myself of Dr. Phinney's advice:"When in doubt, eat less carb; when in doubt, eat more fat."

I require a lot of fiber (6 Tbsp. of flaxmeal daily), so usually have large salads. I probably am eating closer to 25 carbs.

I'm hoping that going back to the drawing board and closing some "loopholes" will get me back on track. Here's what I'm going to change until I start seeing a loss. I hate that it's in the direction of more restriction, especially with holiday season.
- no nuts, bacon, cream, olives, or Splenda (have been using 1 Tbsp./day of Splenda)

I'd love to hear whether these changes are headed in the right direction, or whether I should be increasing rather than restricting something.
Hey, Miche! Please forgive me if I'm wrong, but did you once mention having some thyroid issues? If so, maybe switching from flaxmeal to a different type of fiber supplement might help. I've read that flax -- or any food product that is high in omega-6 -- can raise the level of "reverse-T3" and further imbalance thyroid function in a person who is hypothyroid.

I only weigh once per month, so I honestly don't know how and when I *actually* lose pounds. I don't know if I consistently lose a steady, small amount or if I stay the same weight for a long time and then drop pounds overnight. I lost pounds at a very steady pace during my first 4 months, but the pace seems to have slowed dramatically during the past 2 months and I think I may currently be losing at a pace that is low enough to be either hidden by natural shifts in my body's fluid balance or exaggerated by those shifts.

Like, I lost 1.5 pounds between 11 September and 11 October (from 198 to 196.5), then I lost 7.5 pounds between 11 October and 30 October (from 196.5 to 189). I think the scale reading of 196.5 was artificially high, because I think my body's fluid balance on that day made it seem as if I had lost less fat than I'd really lost. But then I think the scale reading of 189 was artificially low, because I think my body may have held a bit less fluid that day which made it seem as if I'd lost more fat than I really lost.

This is a major drawback of only weighing once per month -- you don't get to see the underlying data, you just see a general picture. And very-low-carb diets change the way the body manages and retains electrolytes, so the body's fluid balance can change quite dramatically from day-to-day. For example, the body will actually shrink its blood volume when the amount of stored sodium drops below a certain amount or increase its blood volume to dilute excess sodium in the bloodstream. The blood volume can change as much as a couple of liters (depending on the person's body size) within a fairly short period of time.

I've been around bodybuilders long enough to understand that the scale is probably the least accurate tool we have for measuring lost bodyfat. So I don't take the scale numbers very seriously, I'm just looking to see a downward trend each month.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #671
Senior LCF Member

Trillex: I just had my TSH test last week and it's an optimal 0.6, the best it's ever been! Let the good fat roll!

I would like to weigh less often, but I'm still new enough that I don't want to make mistakes and only discover it a month later. I think for now I need to monitor my results more closely. I wouldn't normally worry about plateaus, but this seems pretty early into the process to be stalled. Actually I not too worried, just new at how to respond to it. I probably need more exercise, by which I mean more than zero. LOL!
Old 12-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #672
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Trillex: I just had my TSH test last week and it's an optimal 0.6, the best it's ever been! Let the good fat roll!

I would like to weigh less often, but I'm still new enough that I don't want to make mistakes and only discover it a month later. I think for now I need to monitor my results more closely. I wouldn't normally worry about plateaus, but this seems pretty early into the process to be stalled. Actually I not too worried, just new at how to respond to it. I probably need more exercise, by which I mean more than zero. LOL!
You're right! It's probably better to make adjustments as you get results. Scale numbers may be misleading, but the scale will tell you if you're moving in the right direction. And averaging your daily weights is definitely more accurate than weighing once per month.

And I think that weighing only once per month could open the door to cheating, for some people, since the dieter would only see the consequences a month later. I think I have the luxury of weighing only once per month because I see my trainer 5 days a week and that keeps me super honest. I don't think it would be too difficult to *cheat* myself or to let myself down, but I can't let my buddy down.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #673
Senior LCF Member

Today's intake:

B: Cococa with CO and HWC + half a cream cheese muffin
L: cheese, 3 eggs
D: Steak and fried veggies
S: 4 small lc cookies. (8 carbs) + 2 pieces of sf white chocolate, diet soda

Not induction :/ the cookies have almond flour in them... and sweetener.. Haven't weighed myself in a while now, I think I should.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #674
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Steve: Yep, I buy small packets containing an ounce of nuts each. That way I never overeat the nuts. Trader Joe's has them, if you're interested. You recommend not making changes, or making the changes? Not sure which course you suggest I stay to. =)
Yeah I have seen those at Trader Joe's. I haven't bought them but will. I just count the darn nuts and eat 10 at a time. Yeah, that is where I am at.

Here is the approach I use (based on the Atkins book), when I don't lose weight. It may work for you. (If I am losing, I don't bother with this approach because it is harder to do.)

You need to continually make small changes and assess what happens. It can't be done on a daily basis, you probably need a weeks worth the data or so. So nuts seem like an easy one to get rid of. Then go a week and see where you are. If you lost, then add back in nuts and see what happens the next week. You need to monitor both the total carbs, and the particular foods. Some foods seem to stall people, even though the carbs aren't that high. Keep doing that for everything that isn't on the Induction Food List. Don't add too many new things in any one week. If you do, then you won't know what particular thing that is causing you to stall.

Last edited by Big Stevie; 12-11-2012 at 07:30 PM..
Old 12-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #675
Senior LCF Member

Trial and error is a good approach. I think I have nuts about 3 days a week, and that's the only thing that's off the induction list. I will be patient. And I will get back to walking.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #676
Senior LCF Member

So it is Friday. Ready for a weekend filled with Holiday parties. I will really have to watch the landmines that I am sure are waiting for me. At this point I am really strong. I am still amazed by people saying, "we'll you are doing so good, one piece of ... won't hurt."
Old 12-15-2012, 07:48 PM   #677
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fitchick68
Stats: 188.8/169.3/130
WOE: IF/Atkins
Start Date: January 7th 2012/ Restart -Nov. 27th 2012
am back..:)

I have been gone for a while but came back as I have been slacking for far too long...

I have been just trying to do low carb without doing Induction..but weightloss has been sooo slow so.back to Induction I go..

Still been doing IF with low carb and that is a good combo for me..

Now back to reread all of the threads..

Low carb hugs to all!!..

Rhonda
Old 12-15-2012, 10:23 PM   #678
Senior LCF Member

Welcome back Rhonda. We all go through lots of different paths. Enjoy the journey. Stay on the path and you will get to the end.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:46 AM   #679
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Just an update. This is such a problem now, that I'm even gaining a bit. I'm following induction to the letter, never have cheated with anything offlist except flaxmeal. This is *not* supposed to happen this early into weightloss!!

I gave up nuts, bacon, olives, ate less, measured lettuce and veggies, made sure to add fat like mayonnaise or cheese to lean meats.

This is my entire history since beginning this:
Weight 12/15/12 186
Weight 12/08/12 185
Weight 11/30/12 184
Weight 11/24/12 185.5
Weight 11/17/12 186
Weight 11/10/12 186.5
Weight 11/03/12 187.5
Weight 10/27/12 188.5
Weight 10/20/12 189.5
Weight 10/18/12 192.5

After the first month, and for 6 consecutive weeks, I've essentially stayed the same or gained!

I really believed this plan would work for me. I threw myself into it with my last ounce of hope remaining, and now I wonder if I'm so damaged that nothing will help. I have not been exercising much, but know that this is supposed to work despite that.

I have nowhere in this diet to retreat to, since I'm already in Induction. This is as low as it goes!

I would really appreciate any help. This isn't the way it's supposed to go, and I don't know if I can bear another failure in weight loss. This is the only plan I haven't tried before now, and the one that makes the most sense.

Last edited by Miche124; 12-16-2012 at 09:49 AM..
Old 12-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #680
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I really believed this plan would work for me. I threw myself into it with my last ounce of hope remaining, and now I wonder if I'm so damaged that nothing will help. I have not been exercising much, but know that this is supposed to work despite that.

I have nowhere in this diet to retreat to, since I'm already in Induction. This is as low as it goes!

I would really appreciate any help. This isn't the way it's supposed to go, and I don't know if I can bear another failure in weight loss. This is the only plan I haven't tried before now, and the one that makes the most sense.
Hey, Miche -

I feel like you and Big Stevie are my diet *siblings*, so I HATE that you're having problems!

Can you post your menus for 2-3 days? Do you measure/weigh your food quantities. Because it might be something as simple as needing to cut back calories a bit.

Or you may benefit by increasing calories. Bodybuilders who manipulate their thyroid by supplementing T4 or taking Armour Thyroid can't cut more than 20% below their maintenance calories because they've found, through experience, that fat loss dramatically slows or stops if they cut too low (I'll text a couple of guys, to double-check if the amount is actually 20%). I believe you said that you've had thyroid issues in the past but that your thyroid is operating quite well right now. So your body may be doing some rebalancing with respect to fat loss. There's actually a lot of info on this, because bodybuilders have spent decades manipulating their thyroid hormone levels while on cutting diets and they've found that it's a difficult balance to get right because changes in the ratio of T3 to T4 can stop fat loss as dramatically as it can increase fat loss.

Another issue is that bodybuilders don't establish maintenance calories by using standard formulas. They basically do what Big Stevie advised you to do with regard to eliminating foods. They come up with a reasonable calorie estimate and develop a set menu, which contains that exact number of calories, and eat that exact menu every day for two weeks. Then they average their daily weights for each week to see if they've lost, gained, or maintained during the second week. Next, they change the menu to increase their calories by 250 calories per day and eat that menu for two weeks to see if that level causes them to gain. They do that because some guys have a fairly wide "window" of calories that allow them to maintain a steady weight. It's rare, but there are some guys who can eat within a range of a couple thousand calories without either gaining or losing weight. It's difficult for those guys, who have a wide calorie window, to eat enough to bulk up but it's also difficult for them to cut fat. If you're one of those rare people who is programmed to maintain, you may have to experiment with different calorie levels to find the amount that causes you to burn fat, without eating at a level so low that it causes your body to slow the process of burning fat.

There are also a number of fat loss impediments that have nothing to do with calories. There are three major mechanisms that underly fat loss: the release of fat from fat cells, the transport of fat from storage cells via the bloodstream, and the burning of fat as fuel by the body. Limiting your insulin release by eating a low-carb diet should be enough to create a hormonal environment that encourages the release of fat from storage. But if you have circulatory issues, that could cause problems with fat transport. If the fat isn't efficiently transported into the tissues that will burn it, the fat can be restored to the cells after it's released. There could also be problems with burning fat. Thyroid issues, mitochondrial metabolism, problems with the body's alpha- or beta-receptors, even changes in body temperature can cause problems that slow fat burning.

Do you have a history of circulatory problems? If so, maybe walking for 30-45 minutes per day, even at a very slow pace, could help correct a fat transport problem by improving your circulation. Some bodybuilders take aspirin to vasodilate and improve fat transport.

If you think you may have a problem with your cellular metabolism of fat, you could take fish oil or carnitine or CoQ10 to support mitochondrial metabolism. The studies are pretty "iffy" as to the effectiveness of these supplements with regard to fat burning, but that may be because most people don't have deficiencies that supplementation would correct. A good fish oil supplement, with a high concentration of EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid), might be the most beneficial. Bodybuilders who take generous amounts of the essential fatty acids cut bodyfat more effectively than those who don't.

I've learned, from spending most of my life around bodybuilders, that it's very difficult for some people to build the bodies they want. But I've also learned that nothing is impossible. If you're willing to be patient and do some careful experimentation, you can cut your bodyfat to any level that you choose. Thirty years ago, people thought that only certain "elite" bodies that were genetically programmed for low bodyfat could get down to 3% bodyfat. Now, there are guys who were once obese and who now cut down to the 3% range to compete. It's just a matter of figuring out what it takes to make your body burn fat and then being willing to do that work.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #681
Senior LCF Member

Here's yesterday, a typical day. I have my goals set at 65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs. I can see here that my fat/protein ratio is higher than this, and I think I can improve that by eliminating avocados. My net carbs are at 20, my ketostick remains in the 15 mg./dL zone, and my TSH is at an optimal 0.6, and I have no circulatory problems.

I hesitate to manipulate anything in my body by taking supplements other than mainstream ones because I'm a breast cancer survivor, and wouldn't want to accidentally create an environment in which the cancer might recur.

Edit: I can try something else for fibre I guess, and eliminate the cream.

Last edited by Miche124; 12-16-2012 at 12:30 PM..
Old 12-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #682
Senior LCF Member

I see I mis-entered something at dinner. Correction here:
Old 12-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #683
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Here's yesterday, a typical day. I have my goals set at 65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs. I can see here that my fat/protein ratio is higher than this, and I think I can improve that by eliminating avocados. My net carbs are at 20, my ketostick remains in the 15 mg./dL zone, and my TSH is at an optimal 0.6, and I have no circulatory problems.

I hesitate to manipulate anything in my body by taking supplements other than mainstream ones because I'm a breast cancer survivor, and wouldn't want to accidentally create an environment in which the cancer might recur.

Edit: I can try something else for fibre I guess, and eliminate the cream.
My Atkins book, the 2002 version of DANDR, says that avocados and cream are foods that stall some people. Quote about olives, avocado, sour cream, heavy cream, and lemon or lime juice: "But be aware that these foods occasionally slow down weight loss in some people, and may need to be avoided in the first two weeks." And I've read on this forum, and others, that cheese stalls the rate of loss in some people. So, trying a week or two without those foods is something to consider.

But your calories, nutrient ratio, and the quality of food that you're eating seem to be ideal. Maybe you are just a naturally slow burner of fat. Six pounds in two months isn't fast -- especially at the beginning of a low-carb diet when your body *should be* losing excess scale pounds by dumping glycogen. If you are a relatively slow fat burner, though, maybe the best solution for you is extreme patience and continued consistency. If you cut calories down to an extremely low amount -- 1,200 or below -- you can probably *force* pounds off your body but that could be counterproductive, in the long term, because that level of caloric deprivation could cause you to lose a substantial amount of lean muscle tissue, which could damage your long-term metabolic rate.

In her book, Diet 101, Jenny Ruhl says that her research has shown that women who are older than 40, like Ruhl, may have to cut calories to a draconically low level before they are able to see consistent weekly pound losses. But she says that patience is probably a better path because the dramatic calorie deficits that help these women -- who choose to go very low-calorie to achieve a goal weight -- also puts them into a position where they will not be able to maintain their weight loss without continuing to eat an uncomfortably low level of calories. However, if women who are in this metabolic position choose to keep their calories higher and continue losing at a slower rate, their maintenance level of calories can stay at a higher level when they finally reach their goal. Ruhl lost the bulk of her weight when she was in her 50s, and it took her several years, but she has maintained her goal weight for the better part of a decade and she is able to eat a fairly "normal" level of calories. She is diabetic, so she stays low-carb for health reasons, but she doesn't eat a very-low-carb diet, she eats more than 50g carbs per day.

Additional supplements probably aren't a great investment, honestly. There are a zillion fat burners on the market, but most of them won't do much (if anything) to help the average dieter. Bodybuilders are able to find effective supplementation because they do enough diagnostic testing to determine what causes their fat loss impediments. And most of them spend years experimenting with different combinations of nutrition, supplementation, and physical training, with very little regard to their overall health. So even though these guys are very good at shedding fat, they are a terrible example for the average person.

I just want to mention the supplementation options to make the point that fat loss is not *necessarily* about calories or exercise or insulin. There are dozens of intricate systems in the body that significantly affect the rate of fat burning. And we can see how important those other systems are when we look at the ways that bodybuilders are able to manipulate those systems and cut bodyfat to a dramatically low level.

I do take CoQ10 and a good fish oil supplement, in the hope that they support my rate of fat burning. But I'm not losing fat *quickly* and I think I would probably lose at the same rate without these expensive supplements. But I'm not willing to take the *risk* of trying a month without them until I'm much closer to my goal weight.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #684
Major LCF Poster!

Forgot to mention... Another tool that some bodybuilders use to determine whether the level of calories they're eating is optimal -- that is, not low enough to cause other body systems to conserve energy -- is to take their rising body temperature first thing in the morning before getting out of bed. An optimal rising temperature is between 97.8 degrees and 98.2 degrees. If their rising temperature is below this range for more than a few days, this is an indication that their metabolism is taking steps to conserve energy.

Some basic approaches to correct this include adding some cardio to their daily routine or, if their calorie level is quite low, they'll increase daily calories up to 5%. Apparently, some people have body temperatures that are naturally below this range even when they are not dieting, which could indicate a generally slow metabolism.

Just FYI.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #685
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Trillex for being my cheerleader again, and such a strong source of education around this. Motivation is definitely the most important part of change. I'm also reminded of Steve's good approach to adding and removing specific changes.

I am resistent to significantly cutting calories below this range, for three reasons: Both the Atkins book and the Taubes book make a point of saying not to make a special effort to cut calories -- that high enough fat will naturally reduce appetite. I prefer this approach which honors and permits the body's natural response. Also, I have learned from a lifetime of dieting that it's important to adopt a way of eating that I can maintain comfortably for many months -- and yes, I'm a woman in her 50's with all that entails in terms of metabolism. And third, one big reason I'm on Induction is so that I won't need to micro-manage my diet -- that I can go by the acceptable food lists, general instructions, and periodic ketosis checks and be confident that I'm doing enough (or so I had hoped.) Otherwise the more I have to think about it, the greater the focus on food and deprivation, and that's a trigger for me in unhealthy ways.

Last edited by Miche124; 12-16-2012 at 05:43 PM..
Old 12-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #686
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitchick68 View Post
I have been gone for a while but came back as I have been slacking for far too long...

I have been just trying to do low carb without doing Induction..but weightloss has been sooo slow so.back to Induction I go..

Still been doing IF with low carb and that is a good combo for me..

Now back to reread all of the threads..

Low carb hugs to all!!..

Rhonda
Welcome back to induction, Rhonda! Even if you've been losing slowly, at least you've been losing. So induction will be a kickstart for you, not a re-start. And you'll be able to start the new year in a good place. Cheers!
Old 12-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #687
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thank you Trillex for being my cheerleader again, and such a strong source of education around this. Motivation is definitely the most important part of change. I'm also reminded of Steve's good approach to adding and removing specific changes.

I am resistent to significantly cutting calories below this range, for three reasons: Both the Atkins book and the Taubes book make a point of saying not to make a special effort to cut calories -- that high enough fat will naturally reduce appetite. I prefer this approach which honors and permits the body's natural response. Also, I have learned from a lifetime of dieting that it's important to adopt a way of eating that I can maintain comfortably for many months -- and yes, I'm a woman in her 50's with all that entails in terms of metabolism. And third, one big reason I'm on Induction is so that I won't need to micro-manage my diet -- that I can go by the acceptable food lists, general instructions, and periodic ketosis checks and be confident that I'm doing enough (or so I had hoped.) Otherwise the more I have to think about it, the greater the focus on food and deprivation, and that's a trigger for me in unhealthy ways.
I completely understand about not wanting to cut calories to a draconian level. I think the primary reason that I waited so long to actually go on a diet is because I've known so many people who have done Weight Watchers and NutriSystem and Jenny Craig, and that style of eating was absolutely unappealing to me. The thing that has kept me honest throughout this process has been the fact that I can have good cheese and many other rich foods that I enjoy. If I had to micromanage calories, I don't believe I would have been able to strictly adhere to a diet. I've watched my co-workers -- who were all thinner than me -- eating "fake" chocolate cake and "fake" cheese and I felt miserable just watching them, even though I was the fat one in the room.

And I've seen people on the forum talk about dropping cheese from their diet in order to speed their rate of loss. It seems to work, but I can't even consider that approach. I only lost 1.5 pounds in the month of September but if I can lose 1.5 pounds and have brie, I'm fine with that. Fat loss -- even if it's slow -- is a big *win* for me, as long as I'm not miserable while I'm losing. I guess I might change my tune if the weight were moving the other way up the scale. I just hope I never have to make that choice.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:59 PM   #688
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/136/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
Miche -- your daily looks pretty good to me, too. Do you absolutely love the snap peas and have to have them? Also - (just curious) why does your counter show that a scallion as one carb but doesn't count it as a net carb? But everything else looks good. Trillex' advice is pretty good! I am a slow loser, and i just plodded along without too much angst until i lost the 40 pounds.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:31 AM   #689
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyQueen View Post
Miche -- your daily looks pretty good to me, too. Do you absolutely love the snap peas and have to have them? Also - (just curious) why does your counter show that a scallion as one carb but doesn't count it as a net carb? But everything else looks good. Trillex' advice is pretty good! I am a slow loser, and i just plodded along without too much angst until i lost the 40 pounds.
Thanks, DairyQueen. The scallion's one carb is fiber, so the net is zero.

Crisp, high fiber, permitted veggies will be the last thing I'll consider removing. I ran out of other vegetables that day, and used what I had on hand. I also love red bell peppers. If I'm so damaged I have to reduce high volume, low calorie foods, then I just give up.

I've been more aggressively tackling slowed digestion, which I think is beginning to help on the scale. I'm also reading Trillex's suggested books, which are fascinating. Alternated with my beloved sf and fantasy, of course!
Old 12-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #690
Senior LCF Member

Scallions are 1 carb of fiber, so net carbs is zero. I prefer not to eliminate permitted vegetables, because they're too beneficial. The peas were all I had on hand that day. I also really enjoy red bell peppers.
Closed Thread