Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #631
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miche124 View Post
I only lost .5 pound this week. This is usual for me on a diet, and promises a very, very long haul. Again.
Don't let that discourage you. I have had several weeks in which I didn't loose any weight. In fact, I have been the same weight now for a couple of weeks. In the past, these periods of no loss have been followed by big losses. One time it was 10 pounds. So don't get discouraged. Just keep working the plan.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #632
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Monthly Progress

Hiya! It's been a month since my last weigh/measure day and, once again, I didn't lose as many pounds as I did during the first 4 months of the program. But I did lose 2.5 pounds during the past 30 days and I'm quite happy that I am still making forward/downward progress, as measured in both pounds and inches.

Here are the numbers:

Monthly Weight History
11 May - 235 pounds
11 June - 225 pounds
11 July - 215 pounds
11 August - 206.5 pounds
11 September - 198 pounds
11 October - 196.5 pounds
31 October - 189 pounds
30 November (yesterday) - 186.5 pounds

Measured Size Loss From 11 May To Today
Ankles - Left -0.50", Right -0.50"
Calves - Left -1.50", Right -1.00"
Thighs - Left -2.50", Right -2.50"
Hips - -3.25"
Waist - -4.00"
Upper Arms - Left 0.00", Right 0.00" (two words: "bingo wings")
Wrists - Left -0.50", Right -0.50"

Here is some photo documentation, as well. WARNING: My hair and make-up are not done in these photos, but please don't be alarmed. HaHa!

11 May 2012 (235 pounds, FRONT VIEW)

11 November 2012 (189 pounds, FRONT VIEW)

11 May 2012 (235 pounds, SIDE VIEW)

11 November 2012 (189 pounds, SIDE VIEW)

I don't *love* the fact that I seem to be losing from the bottom up. Now my figure, in my opinion, is a bit less hourglassy than it was when I started. And my stomach is much more pronounced, proportionally, than it was when I started. But I'm hoping that further inch losses with bring back more of an hourglass shape. An hourglass shape, which is called "guitarra," and a prominent rear end are prized female assets in my culture.

I stuck to low-carb foods during Thanksgiving. Although I did bake and eat low-carb desserts (a low-carb pecan cheesecake and low-carb marbled brownies). And I didn't weigh, measure, or log the food that I ate on Thanksgiving, so I probably ate more carbs and calories than I eat on a daily basis. After Thanksgiving, I returned to my normal eating patterns and careful food logging.

When I reached the six-month mark, my trainer told me that I could stop eating 5-6 small meals every day and that I should just "eat to satisfaction whenever I'm hungry." He initially told me to eat frequent, small meals to "keep my protein intake steady and available for muscle synthesis." But he admitted to me at our six-month meeting that this was actually a complete LIE!

He wanted me to eat frequent, small meals during the initial months of the program so that I would learn better portion control and would learn that eating less wouldn't leave me "starving" because, in reality, food is always available to me. Before I started this program, I must admit that I ate HUGE portions. A typical lunch for me from Taco Bell was 4 Volcano Burritos, 4 Crunchy Taco Supremes, and 2 Baja Beef Chalupas. My trainer is a friend who has known me since childhood, and he thinks my weight problem comes from the fact that I'm *afraid* of being hungry.

I believe that I did learn better portion control as a result of this approach. Since 11 November, I have been eating only 2 meals per day. And they aren't the HUGE meals that I previously ate, but I'm still quite satisfied and not ever *worried* about being hungry. I'm still on Induction-level carbs (less than 20g total carbs per day = 1 cup of veggies + 2 cups of salad veggies). I weigh and measure all of my food, and track my nutrition values on an app on my phone. On Sundays, only, I don't limit my cheese to less than 4 ounces. And I have allowed myself to have nuts and heavy cream on Sundays, since the second month.

That's it, I guess. Cheers!
Old 12-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #633
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Miche124
Stats: 192.5/183/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: October 13, 2012
Trillex: I'm very impressed with your progress. What a difference! What impresses me most, though, is how honest you are with yourself. Lots of people claim they're sticking to their diet, but don't count the broken cookies or the spoonful of carbs here and there. I'm similar to you, not just in weight, but in conscientiousness. I only wish my "culture" in beachy Southern California prized a womanly figure the way yours does. Did you say once you're Cuban?

I know what you mean about having fear of being hungry. In my case I feel that particular kind of fear before going to bed, which is nightmarish (heh) every night with my insomnia and numerous sleep disorders. I fear I'll be awake for hours, made worse by low blood sugar. I have a long-standing habit of eating something small at bedtime, which used to help me fall asleep, so I'm afraid to go to bed less than full.

Today is my 8 week mark, and I've lost 8.5 pounds in that time. Last week I only lost .5 pounds and I was worried, but this week jumped down 1.5 pounds. I think that, ahem sorry, constipation has quite an effect on a weigh-in and that my fat loss was more steady than that.

Six years ago I lost 30 pounds, which was interrupted by a serious health issue, then regained it. I've had no hope of losing again (due to low-fat dieting not helping) until I recently learned more about ketogenic diets. Fortunately I'm only 12 pounds away now from that low point six years ago, which makes me believe that I can continue losing beyond that.

Having hope again is priceless, and I love that people are already noticing the weight loss.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #634
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
My trainer is a friend who has known me since childhood, and he thinks my weight problem comes from the fact that I'm *afraid* of being hungry.
I had hypoglycemia so bad that I was definitely afraid of being hungry, or really just afraid of my blood sugar dropping. That was the main reason why I gained a lot of weight. So you are not alone. However, by any standard, that was a pretty big Taco Bell order,LOL!

Your figure is looking great by the way. Amazing change. It is strange how when one looses weight, you never know what part of your body looses it first. This has definitely been the case for me. I sure wish we could choose where it comes from.

I finally lost 3 pounds last week after being stuck for a long time. It feels good. People have been saying, man how much more have you lost, even though I have seen them during my over two week plateau. The scale doesn't always show our progress.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #635
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I fear I'll be awake for hours, made worse by low blood sugar. I have a long-standing habit of eating something small at bedtime, which used to help me fall asleep, so I'm afraid to go to bed less than full.
How has Atkins been for your low blood sugar issue? It has nearly cured mine. As long as I don't drink too much caffeine, diet drinks or Atkins shakes, my blood sugar issues are almost not existent since going on Atkins.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #636
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
How has Atkins been for your low blood sugar issue? It has nearly cured mine. As long as I don't drink too much caffeine, diet drinks or Atkins shakes, my blood sugar issues are almost not existent since going on Atkins.
That's fantastic Big Stevie. I'm really pleased that your blood sugar has improved so much on this WoE, and that you've broken through your plateau! Isn't it great to feel deserving of compliments?

You're sweet for asking about the trouble I was having at first. I'm not hypoglycemic, but have always been sensitive to lows when I don't eat frequently. I'm past the "induction flu" now, which for me lasted at least a month, and am feeling much better.

Throughout my life I've had frequent headaches, and eventually figured out that eating would relieve them for a time. Some of that was low blood sugar and some was with migraines and re-routing of blood supply to the stomach, I think. Anyway, I "learned" to actively avoid hunger and that eating led to physical relief from pain. Now there's a Pavlovian response at the most primal level! I think another primary cause of my weight problems has been my sleep issues. Research is just now starting to call attention to how great a role that can play. Hopefully as the weight comes off my sleep will improve too.

I want to say that I've kept in mind the exceptionally good suggestions from Trillex, Big Stevie, and others through the tougher times, and that's really given me greater confidence and committment to this WoE. Thank you again, from the bottom of my heart.

Look how well we've all done, especially considering it's the holiday season! Walking through Trader Joe's today I truly felt assaulted by the doubling or tripling of candy and dessert displays. I decided that I deserve to feel indulgent sometimes, so I bought some good bacon as a special treat. No point in feeling deprived, right?

Last edited by Miche124; 12-01-2012 at 09:45 PM..
Old 12-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #637
Senior LCF Member

Well I used to take about 20 Advil a week for headaches primarily related to blood sugar issues. If I eat on plan and avoid too much caffeine, the headaches have vanished as well. I am down to taking maybe 10 Advil a month. For this reason alone, I will never change this way of eating. I am on Atkins forever. It just works for me and my body. I am sleeping so much better as well. Hopefully you are as well.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #638
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kath Urbahn
Stats: 278
Start Date: 30 November 2012
A few things that work well for me.

I'd done Atkins before, but made massive mistakes, and it didn't work, because I didn't do the way he recommended simply because I didn't understand it very well then. I did lose weight easily, I just wasn't gentle enough on myself to understand that a lifelong habit of self-pacification from sweets and carbs would not just go away, just like that, no matter how bad I want to revisit my old size three clothes!

I made the profound decision to replace the offenders with better stuff. AHA!!!

I'm in day three of my Induction. After much consideration, I did a realistic assessment of my lifelong habits and temptations before I started the diet. Rather than "exercise willpower", whatever that means, I found substitutes that I can live with for a lifetime. I had a serious chip, cracker and candy overeating habit. And a smoothie habit. BAD.

Replaced the chips with either Atkins Just the Cheese, or my own homemade version of those. Replaced the crackers with GG Scandinavian Crispbread. Replaced the candy with Atkins Endulge candies. Replaced the Evil Smoothies with Atkins Advantage shakes. They are DELISH!!! And I replaced pudding with MHP Power Pak Pudding. It's so rich and filling, one spoonful is all I can handle at a time, and being in Induction, one bite is plenty. They come in a convenient pop-top can with a plastic reusable lid to save whatever you haven't eaten. At 8.8 ounces apiece, they look like steroidal big brother of the "canned puddings" that Del Monte used to put out when I was a kid in the Jurassic Period: The 1970s.

Cue in Fanfare: 2001: A Space Odyssey in Dolby Surround Sound here. You can almost hear the big, hairy apes jumping around the big giant obelisk in circles and screeching...

Who is that screeching like a big, hairy ape man? Oh, wait, that's me. No, it isn't. It's my husband screeching at me to "shaddap, already....!"

So I was RIGHT. It WAS a big, hairy ape man screeching! Induction makes one very, very perceptive, Grasshoppah.

I digress. What I can bring to the Success Table? All the above sweet treats. And I already loved the diet Jell-o cups anyway, so that's a non-issue.

Probably the most important thing I do is I utilize my Lose-It program religiously. It's free and can be found at Lose It! - Succeed at weight loss with Lose It! . I have it on my Kindle Fire and I visit the website from the computer, too. I log everything in and I don't have to do the math. I know exactly how many carbs and more importantly, NET CARBS I've consumed every time I log something in. I usually log it is as I'm eating it or right after.

The above mentioned sweets are my only real temptations. So I supplement all that gorgeous "free food" and "legally limited food" with those sweet goodies to avoid misery, distraction, and temptation. This is the easiest holiday season I've EVER had whilst on a diet!!!!

I can eat around anyone scarfing down the carbs and sugar and hang with the best of them. With zero temptation. So far, that's been the case. Really enjoying my "diet food"!!

Last edited by Kath Urbahn; 12-02-2012 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Old 12-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #639
Junior LCF Member

I downloaded some pdfs from the Atkins site. One was what can I eat on Phase One... and it shows sample menus for a month and gives recipes. That's where I noticed that the shakes and bars are strongly suggested as snacks twice a day in between meals.

One other thing I forgot to mention above. Nectresse Sweetener. I'm extremely sensitive to bitter aftertastes, so I hadn't found anything that works until Nectresse. I make two quarts of unsweetened Kool-Aid and sweeten it by the glass. I don't care for black iced teas much, which is practically illegal in the southern United States to hate iced tea, but I do love Passion tea. Yeah, well I'm a foreigner. We're pretty weird.

I like Kool-Aid and Nectresse alot.

Last edited by Kath Urbahn; 12-02-2012 at 07:32 PM..
Old 12-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #640
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
I'm still on Induction-level carbs (less than 20g total carbs per day = 1 cup of veggies + 2 cups of salad veggies). I weigh and measure all of my food, and track my nutrition values on an app on my phone. On Sundays, only, I don't limit my cheese to less than 4 ounces. And I have allowed myself to have nuts and heavy cream on Sundays, since the second month.
I'm curious about your choice to eat more richly once a week. Is this a strategy to ward off plateaus, or primarily a reward? Is this something your trainer recommended? If it results in better fat loss, I may try it.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #641
Senior LCF Member

Hey Kath welcome to the Thread. I hope the stuff you are eating works for you. In the Atkins book there is a list of the foods that you can eat during induction. Get the Atkins book if you don't have a copy. Most of the things you mentioned aren't on that list. The more "real" foods (meaning foods that aren't man made or processed) you eat, the better you are going to do on this diet plan. Yes, there are items available to help us over a rough day, but those items shouldn't be consumed as regular part of your daily diet. You are going to need to change your habits. (I hope this doesn't come off as harsh, it isn't intended that way.)
Old 12-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #642
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hey Kath welcome to the Thread. I hope the stuff you are eating works for you. In the Atkins book there is a list of the foods that you can eat during induction. Get the Atkins book if you don't have a copy. Most of the things you mentioned aren't on that list. The more "real" foods (meaning foods that aren't man made or processed) you eat, the better you are going to do on this diet plan. Yes, there are items available to help us over a rough day, but those items shouldn't be consumed as regular part of your daily diet. You are going to need to change your habits. (I hope this doesn't come off as harsh, it isn't intended that way.)
I strongly agree with Steve. In particular, the version of Atkins book you want to look for is Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution. The $7.99 you'll pay for it will end up costing you much, much less than buying all those Atkins snacks. I think you'll find that the craving for sugar and starch disappears pretty quickly on this diet. I tend to think that the more artificially sweetened foods you eat, the less likely you'll be able to lose the cravings. Also, they can set off an insulin response that will make you hungry more often and make it more difficult to lose fat.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #643
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I'm curious about your choice to eat more richly once a week. Is this a strategy to ward off plateaus, or primarily a reward? Is this something your trainer recommended? If it results in better fat loss, I may try it.
I don't think my *extras* on Sundays help speed up the fat loss, unfortunately. I wish they did!

My trainer, and both of my brothers, and some cousins, and a bunch of my close friends are bodybuilders, and they're all supporting and advising me on my diet. I've never really dieted, but these guys have spent most of their adult lives obsessively learning to tweak their plans to burn fat and/or build muscle. So they've passed down some of their *tricks* to me. Most bodybuilding diets build in a "free meal" or a "free day" that allow "forbidden" foods -- usually within certain calorie guidelines. For example, one day (or one meal) per week they can have pizza or ice cream or french fries -- or whatever they want -- but the total day's calories have to stay at or below maintenance level.

My trainer and my brothers advised me to pick one day of the week and allow myself to eat more luxuriously on that one day every week, so that I would *feel* like I was taking a "day off" from the diet. But that I should keep my carb level under 20 grams on my day off. It's a psychological thing, designed to help me stay compliant with the diet.

I think bodybuilders do it because their diets can be so extreme that it could drive any normal person crazy if they had to eat that way every single day for 8 or 12 straight weeks! Also, it gives them a chance to go out and eat a "normal" meal with people, without having to bring along supplements and rebalance all of the rest of their eating to find a way to fit that one meal in with their fat loss goals. I've been to weddings with bodybuilders, right before competition when they couldn't take a day off from the diet, and I've watched them shake up a protein drink with flax oil every 90 minutes and drink that sludge down while everybody around us stared at them -- it would be madness if they had to do that every time they went out to brunch or went on a dinner date.

Basically, on Sundays, I have heavy cream, nuts, more than 4 ounces of cheese, more than 2 tablespoons of sour cream, and a lot of high-calorie low-carb foods that I don't eat on a day-to-day basis. For example, I make deep-fried catfish using crushed sunflower seeds as breading. And I make spinach pie (without the phyllo crust) using cream cheese and lots of feta cheese, baked in mini (1 cup) cassoulet pots. I've even made some very tasty, crunchy crackers out of ground sunflower seeds, ground almonds, and asiago cheese, which I eat with pate and brie. But I still stick to my carb level, even on my day off.

For me, it really does feel freeing! I feel like I'm having *treats*, because my Sunday meals are richer and lusher and, frankly, bigger than meals on "normal" days. But on "normal" days, I'm not obsessing about food. I just eat simple meals of meat or fish, veggies, and less than 4 ounces of cheese, according to induction rules. But I never feel deprived because I always know that Sunday *treats* are only a few days away. For me, it makes it emotionally easier to stick with the diet because I don't feel like I'm stuck in a diet rut or like every single day is all about the diet.

I think, for me as an individual, that if I ate big, rich meals every day -- even if they were low-carb meals -- I think I would start wanting foods that are "forbidden" by the plan just because, deep down, I would feel deprived. And because I would be obsessing about how tasty food is every day, instead of eating for fuel 6 days per week and eating for fun only 1 day per week. It's a mental game, really! On Sunday nights, I'm thinking, "Awesome! That was delicious!" And I *feel* like I've just had a day off from the diet. But I have "guidelines" so I don't even think about bread or candy or the stuff I can't have, because when I think about *cheating* I'm thinking about cheating with things that don't throw me off my diet or out of the keto-adaptation that I've worked so hard to achieve.

It's been working, so far! I think that's why it was really easy for me to eat a gourmet cheese tray instead of cake on my birthday -- because I don't have that much cheese every day, so it was *special*. And why it was easy to stick to the plan on Thanksgiving -- because I don't have low-carb desserts every day, so the low-carb desserts felt like a great, Thanksgiving treat. I don't know if this approach would work for everybody -- people are so different, psychologically -- but it's really helped to put my mind in a good place with regard to *how* I enjoy food.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #644
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Did you say once you're Cuban?
I'm actually half-Puerto Rican + half-Haitian = 100% Caribe! Pa' que tu lo sepas! JaJa!

Quote:
So you are not alone. However, by any standard, that was a pretty big Taco Bell order,LOL!
So true! Actually, I think my "fear of hunger" comes from the Caribbean. My dad told us all of these stories about times when his rural, Haitian village ran out of food while the roads were closed after a big storm. And how there was a special type of soil -- I'm not kidding you! -- that they would eat before going to school, because after they ate the "red dirt" they wouldn't be hungry for the rest of the day. I would never admit it to my dad, because it would just KILL him, but I think those stories totally traumatized me!
Old 12-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #645
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I think another primary cause of my weight problems has been my sleep issues. Research is just now starting to call attention to how great a role that can play. Hopefully as the weight comes off my sleep will improve too.
Have you read about an amino acid called "5-HTP"? Apparently, it helps balance your serotonin levels, which help support more restful sleep and, generally, greater peace of mind.

My trainer talked to me about it during the first month of my diet and I googled it after he told me about it -- problems related to serotonin imbalance are very common among dieters, apparently, so he told me to think about having some in my medicine cabinet. But I didn't have any sleep problems, so I just skipped it. I can't personally recommend it -- because I didn't try it -- but if you're having sleep issues, maybe you could do a bit of research and check it out.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #646
Senior LCF Member

I have never slept better since I have been an Atkins. My nights are more restful for sure.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #647
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the great info, as always, Trillex! One of the common strategies in dieting to address the problem of plateaus is to shake things up once in a while. Our bodies adapt readily to any diet we throw at them, so it's always best to eat a variety rather than the same thing every day (guilty here), or sometimes eat more than usual for a couple of days. You seem to be doing this for other reasons, but it may have contributed to your success in ways you haven't realized.

Venting here: I hate when I hit a surprising new low on weigh-in day, and then for the rest of the week can't get near that same weight again!
Old 12-05-2012, 11:22 PM   #648
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Venting here: I hate when I hit a surprising new low on weigh-in day, and then for the rest of the week can't get near that same weight again!

I have a very easy solution for that, DONT WEIGHT EVERY DAY!!!!

I believe Trillex weighs once a month, and I weigh in every two weeks. Our bodies change daily, hourly and it just causes unnecessary stress. Remember, the water we drink every day is about 7 pounds alone. So a pound one way or another at any given point in the day isn't a big deal. Don't let it control your life. Just stay on plan and watch your carbs. This is a marathon not a daily sprint.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #649
Senior LCF Member

You're right, I know you're right, it's just so tempting...okay. Okay. I can do this.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #650
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
This isn't a daily diet thing, lol! I must have worded it wrong. My typical day is about 12 percent carbs consisting of proteins, healthy fats, vegetables... you know, real food. It's working for me, so thanks for your input, but I'm not changing a thing. I'm not sure where you think I'm so wrong, but that's okay, you're entitled to your opinion. I downloaded literature from the Atkins site, as well as read several Atkins books and I utitilse the Atkins for Life Kit. The Atkins literature I downloaded in PDF format is in my Kindle. It shows what a typical month ought to look like. In that PDF, an Atkins shake and an Atkins bar is suggested as your two snacks a day.

Thanks for your input, harsh or not, but this is working beautifully, so I can't be swayed. Why would I change what works?

My point in my original post was somehow misconstrued. Sorry, but I was just adding what has successfully kept me from being tempted. It is the holidays, after all, and I've seen alot of heartbreaking posts on here from people who have been tempted or guilted into eating carbs, etc. My post was only intended to show all the bases I have covered IN CASE OF a temptation emergency. Good lord, I don't live on snacks!

Last edited by Kath Urbahn; 12-06-2012 at 02:08 PM..
Old 12-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #651
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath Urbahn View Post
Thanks for your input, harsh or not, but this is working beautifully, so I can't be swayed. Why would I change what works?

My post was only intended to show all the bases I have covered IN CASE OF a temptation emergency. Good lord, I don't live on snacks!
Your welcome for the input. I surely don't know everything. If it is working for you, go for it. Atkins shakes really mess with my blood sugar so I can't drink them. Best of luck on your journey.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #652
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Your welcome for the input. I surely don't know everything. If it is working for you, go for it. Atkins shakes really mess with my blood sugar so I can't drink them. Best of luck on your journey.
Same to you. Yes, we are all different, chemically speaking. My husband is diabetic, so I get it. I have an electrolyte issue with serious potassium loss. I don't remember much of the 1990's, because I was in a number of comas, back to back, that went on until about 2005 on a chronic level. I lived in a hospital, but when I came out of the comas, I felt Rip Van Winkle, so much of the world had changed.

To wake up fat and flabby where the last time I looked at myself I was firm and slender, was extremely frightening. Laying in a bed for fifteen years will definitely adjust your metabolism a little bit!

Do you remember Terri Schiavo, from Florida? Okay, that's kind of what happened to me. Not quite the same circumstance; I didn't diet to potassium nothingness and brain damage, but a similar result from an inherited condition. She'd been young and firm and beautiful, and then the brain damage and everything her body had been through made her unrecognisable. Poor lady, bless her heart.

I am delicate, and I'm thrilled something has finally started to work. It may be wrong, but it's the only the thing that's ever worked. I did Atkins once before and got SO sick from the Atkins flu that I had to be hospitalised. Speaking for myself and no one else, I can say that I didn't eat enough vegetables then, because I misunderstood the book from brain damage. I've healed since then and comprehend the book a lot better. I have to get my vegetables in daily or I don't feel right at all. Those flulike symptoms hover, so I know I need to eat some broccoli or whatever. This time around, I feel wonderful, and today is my first week, and in that week, I've dropped ten pounds, and still feel fantastic. The most amazing part is, I was on Allegra, Singulair, Claritin AND Benedryl, every single day, for severe sinusitis. The first day of Induction, the sinusitis was completely GONE.

I write cookbooks for a living, so I am most certainly in the kitchen continuously developing real recipes with real food. I also know that many years of chronic illness, waking up after fifteen years of nothingness, was highly traumatic. When I left this world I was a slender, successful ad-woman. Well, many years of laying in a bed, where you can hear your world around you, limited though it is, but you can't react to it, is extremely traumatic when you get all you've ever wanted, which is to achieve and remain conscious of the world around you. I was a complete shut-in for many, many years as a result of being too delicate to handle the world around me. I felt like an alien marooned on a planet that my body didn't adjust to.

It didn't take much to knock me back into a coma, either. In August 2009, I got hit upside the head so hard I went completely blind for about a day. I fell into a coma, and the ER doc didn't recognise what was going on (severe tetany from a dangerously low level of electrolyte - I was dying). The doc assumed, because it happened to be Saturday night, and I happened to be decked out in concert gear because I had just returned from a concert, that surely I must be a drug fiend. (Gimme a break. It was a Keith Urban concert. What did he think, Keith was eating puppies onstage and so I'm a freak too?) So he and his team physically abused me to 'snap me out it and make me talk'. I couldn't talk. I was completely helpless and at their mercy. So, anyway, I know I'm not the only one with medical anomalies in their background. This is working where nothing would.

Whatever plagues you in your life journey, I wish you well.

The fat on my body could not be shot off. Finally, it's running away screaming, much to my delight!

So, anyway.... I wish you well on your low carb journey, as well.

Kath

Last edited by Kath Urbahn; 12-06-2012 at 05:07 PM..
Old 12-08-2012, 05:34 AM   #653
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Doozer
Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so I'd like to introduce myself.

I'm 39 years old, male, and I live in Ireland. I haven't weighed myself recently (no scales!) but I think I'm about 74kg (maybe more?), and 5'11''.

I wouldn't consider myself very overweight, but I'm trying to lose some excess abdominal fat which has built up over the last year or two. I'm starting a low-carb diet (which I hope to maintain long-term), but not strictly Atkins. However, I think following something similar to Atkins Induction and getting into ketosis might start the process of fat burning. Also, I don't have any exercise regime as of yet.

Here is my food totals for today, do you think it looks ok?

FOODS Calories Carbs Fat Protein
TOTAL: 1,006 29g 68g 51g

The calorie count seems a bit low, so I might eat some more eggs later, my carb count seems to be maxed out already!

The past few days have seen similar food profiles, and my urine dipsticks indicate I'm already in ketosis.

Thanks for reading!
Old 12-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #654
Junior LCF Member

I'm feeling a bit icky now, fluish and spacey. My ketone stick is deep purple. I'm going to drink more water.

Also, my urine glucose stick seems a bit darker blue than normal... i guess it's because my urine is too concentrated?
Old 12-08-2012, 08:45 AM   #655
Senior LCF Member

Hi Doozer! Welcome. I'm not an expert, but here are my thoughts:

Water, and lots of it, is essential during induction. Try drinking broth (bouillon) a couple times a day, and use plenty of salt on your food. Along with fluid loss comes mineral loss, so try to take a multivitamin with minerals as well.

Your calories do sound very low, especially for a man. You do not need to make any effort to restrict your calories in order to lose fat if you keep your carbs low and your fat high.

Deep purple on a ketone stick is not healthy. If it continues after you increase your water intake, please check with your doctor. In the meantime, research the difference between ketosis (which is desirable for fat loss) and keto-acidosis (which is dangerous and can land you in the hospital.)
Old 12-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #656
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Miche124, I'm upping my water intake now! I have some gluten-free veg broth, so I'll try that too. Thanks for the info!
Old 12-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #657
Senior LCF Member

Hey Doozer weclome aboard. You need more calories. In fact, don't even worry about calories for the next two weeks just eat until you are satisfied. I end up eating somewhere around 1,800 calories or so, 1,000 is crazy low. (for others 74kg is equal to 163 pounds). As far as water intake goes, shoot for 1 ounce for every two pounds of body weight. So make sure you are drinking 80 ounces of water a day.

If you keton sticks are really dark purple, that is just evidence that you don't have enough water in your system. Drink more.

You should try to keep your percentages around 60-65% fat, 30-35% protein and 5% carbs. There is a site called ******.com that allows you to enter the food you ate and it will figure the percentages for you. Use it for a few days and you will see where you need to make adjustments.

Everyone feels rough for a couple of days, but then you will feel great. Trust the diet.

Go eat! I would look to stay on Atkins. Just process through the stages quickly but use its methods to figure out where you need to be to maintain the weight and shape you want. When you start bringing back foods, pay close attention to how they make you feel and what they do to your body. You will discover a lot about how your body and mind work. Have fun.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #658
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alonewithyou
Stats: 5'4, 150 lbs
WOE: Atkins >20 carbs a day
Start Date: 09-01-10/10-29-12/01-10-13/07-29-13
Ok, so I am baking tomorrow so that I can do induction easily. Cream cheese muffins are ok, right? If so, how many a day? Other than that I guess meat, eggs, greens, a bit hwc, a bit cheese. Not too much of the AS.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #659
Junior LCF Member

OK, I feel have flu symptoms now. My forehead is hot, everything is woozy I feel awful and kinda drunk. Thirsty. It reminds me of a kidney infection... is it supposed to feel like this? Or do I actually have flu?? What do I do??
Old 12-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #660
Senior LCF Member

If you have a fever, you may have an infection, such as flu. I don't know how long you've been on this diet, or what other factors might be going on.

Whether it's flu or a response to the diet, you should drink lots of fluids. I suggest you listen to your body, and if you feel that you need medical help, then see a doctor.
Closed Thread