Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #601
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lizzyanne
I will be starting on monday!! Was going to start tomorrow but figured i should get a meal plan going and such ! might help me a little ... :/ lol

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2012, 07:54 AM   #602
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
Welcome Lizzyanne. You can do this. That is a great idea to get a plan and do some shopping. Especially in the beginning, you don't want to have to think about what to eat next. Make sure you have lots of stuff to choose from. Stick with plan foods and eat as much as you want. Don't let yourself get hungry. Plan your snack foods and have plenty of them with you.

Hard boil a bunch of eggs so you can grab one and eat it on the go. Get some pepperoni and cheese that you can eat at any time and travels well. Pickles and olives are also great snacks.

Make sure you drink lots of water. Water is very important, especially in the beginning. Drink 1 ounce for every 2 pounds of body weight up to 128 ounces a day. So If you weigh 200, drink 100 ounces of water.

Have fun and stick to the plan, you will surely loose the weight.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:23 PM   #603
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lizzyanne
Thanks so much for your words! I appreciate them so much! I have a pretty crazy work schedule so planning is the biggest key i can have at this point in time!
Old 11-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #604
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyanne View Post
I have a pretty crazy work schedule so planning is the biggest key i can have at this point in time!
I think you're totally right! Over the weekend, I plan all of my meals for the week on a graph-paper chart (because I am a complete nerd) and then I cook everything on Sunday and portion my meals into individual plastic containers for each meal. Then -- no matter how starving I am when I get home -- I can just throw a meal into a pan and heat it up. I'll maybe add some grated cheese or chop up a side salad. But the entrees are all cooked and ready to be reheated. Including breakfasts, which are usually pre-cooked omelets or meat-and-veg stuffed cream cheese crepes.

One week, I had all-day plans on Sunday and didn't get my meals prepared. That week was HORRIBLE! That was the only time -- out of the whole time that I've been on this diet -- that I felt like, "Why am I doing this? I wish I could just order a pizza!" Normally, I enjoy the diet. I enjoy the food. But that week, when I was looking in the fridge and pondering what to eat, made me feel really annoyed by the diet.

I'm a person who craves order, though. So I may be a bit strange... But I genuinely believe that one of the key reasons I haven't "cheated" is because my daily meals are pre-planned and easy to just grab and eat.

Good luck! I hope you enjoy Atkins as much as I have!
Old 11-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #605
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miche124 View Post
I'm a month in now, and have lost 6 pounds. This is a lot compared to my usually very slow weightloss on other plans, and I seem to be steadily losing at a pound a week. I'm starting to feel well enough to get back to exercise, and am looking forward to those results too.

Yesterday I went to a movie and splurged on a Diet Coke and an ounce of roasted almonds. It really did feel like a splurge, and didn't harm my progress. A pathetic splurge, but I need to feel rewarded sometimes.
Hey, Miche! I'm glad you're hanging in there and doing well! I've been losing a little bit less than 2 pounds per week (except for September, when I only lost 1.5 pounds all month) but even though it *feels* like slow progress, the losses eventually add up to a SIGNIFICANT amount of lost fat and positive changes in body composition. For example, I wore my size 12 Levi's 515s yesterday and I tried on my size 10 Levi's 515s this morning. I couldn't even get my legs into the size 12s when I started the diet back in May. Now, I can get the size 10s up my legs and thighs (but I can't pull the size 10s up over my hips and rear end). It's taken me a long time. But I'm really happy with the progress I've made. And I'm absolutely ELATED by how much stronger I feel and how much more energy and stamina I have! I walk everywhere now, just because I couldn't walk anywhere before.

So hang in there! You're on the road to some really enjoyable changes!
Old 11-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #606
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alonewithyou
Stats: 5'4, 150 lbs
WOE: Atkins >20 carbs a day
Start Date: 09-01-10/10-29-12/01-10-13/07-29-13
I skipped induction, but I am considering it now. You can't drink alcohol on induction, right? I have a party to go to this Saturday and the next, so I "have to" drink..
Old 11-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #607
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonewithyou View Post
I skipped induction, but I am considering it now. You can't drink alcohol on induction, right? I have a party to go to this Saturday and the next, so I "have to" drink..
Since it's only one day -- and alcohol can't be stored as glycogen -- I'm sure it'll be fine. And if alcohol interferes with your progress, then at least you'll know, for future reference.

Party on!
Old 11-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #608
Senior LCF Member

I drank the first week on the diet. Just three shots of vodka. It made me really hungry the next day. I have drank a few other times and it also made me very hungry the next day. Try it out and see what it does to you. The distilled alcohols don't have carbs. So drink the hard stuff with a zero carb mixer or no mixer.

I think alcohol effects on the diet would be on an individual bases. The key to the long term success of this way of eating is to try things and make observations. You need to figure out what works for your body, mind and scale.

BTW, if you go to a party and stay sober, you tend to learn some interesting things about the people you hang out with.

Last edited by Big Stevie; 11-16-2012 at 06:57 PM..
Old 11-17-2012, 07:03 AM   #609
Senior LCF Member

Okay, I'll see then is there an induction list somewhere? Allowed foods I mean.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #610
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Okay, I'll see then is there an induction list somewhere? Allowed foods I mean.
There probably is one. But you can go buy the book Dr. Atkin New Diet Revolution. They are in paper back and I am sure you can find one for less than $10. They have a lot of useful information beyond just the food list.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #611
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Miche124
Stats: 192.5/183/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: October 13, 2012
As a former longterm vegetarian, my protein choices are limited now by what I don't find gross. At this point I'm eating eggs, cheese, poultry, and salmon, and after a trial with packaged roast beef slices that were too rare, red meat is out for now, and so is bacon which I gobble up way too fast. The only hot meal I eat each day is eggs scrambled with cheese. Otherwise, salad for one other meal, and the third is a plate of cold sliced turkey, mayo, and a few bits of veggie. Needless to say, this is getting old fast, but it does help me control the content of my food choices.

Tonight I'm taking the kids to dinner. This will be my first restaurant experience since being on this diet. I found the menu and nutritional content online, so I plan to have a caesar salad with grilled shrimp and no croutons.

I'll echo what Big Stevie said: people really do seem foolish when you're the sober one. If anything, it reinforces my intention not to drink.

And Trillex: I figured out why I'm still feeling run-down even 5 weeks into this diet. I've had a sinus infection for the last 6 weeks. It was low-grade up until recently, when finally announced its presence with a great roar. You were such good support for me while I was new and frustrated.

I think I need to re-learn how to cook meat so I can make a few new things. I invented a yummy way to eat my flaxmeal each day. I mix it up with a bit of cream and eat it by the spoon. The cream makes it feel like a dessert.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #612
Senior LCF Member

Can someone please tell me if this is something I could have on Thanksgiving, without messing up my diet? It all looks okay, but the ingredients list may be a problem.

Trader Joe's Pork Roast Florentine
"This entrée embodies elegance, dynamism, and deliciousness… and, perhaps, most unexpectedly – ease. Our Pork Roast Florentine is a boneless pork roast that’s layered with ricotta & feta cheeses, roasted red bell peppers, spinach and then rolled into a beautiful spiral. It’s frozen while raw to preserve freshness & flavor, so when you are ready to impress, simply cook it in the oven (about 40 min), slice, place on serving plate and drizzle with the irresistible roasted garlic rosemary sauce that accompanies it. And at $8.99 for a 1 lb 3.5 oz container (serves 3-4), it also embodies great value."-from traderjoes.com

NUTRITON FACTS
Value My Daily Value
Calories 240 Kcal
Total Fat 13 g
Saturated Fat 6 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 85 mg
Sodium 400 mg
Total Carbohydrate 4 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 1 g
Protein 28 g

boneless pork loin (contains up to 12% of a solution of water, postassium lactate, dextrose, sodium phosphates, salt), stuffing (blanched spinach, ricotta cheese [milk, whey, skim milk, vinegar, xanthan gum, locust bean gum, guar gum {stabilizers}] feta cheese [pasteurized milk, salt, cheese culture, rennet, lipase], roasted red bell peppers [red peppers, water, salt, citric acid], french bread crumbs [enriched flour {malted barley flour, niacin, reduced iron, ascorbic acid, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid}, water, salt, yeast), lemon juice [from concentrate]), finishing sauce (water, demi glace concentrate [reduced wine, vegetable concentrates (tomato, onion, carrot, celery), maltodextrin, sugar, beef stock, natural flavor, salt, butter {cream [milk]}, yeast extract, beef fat), chablis wine {contains sulfites}, chicken base [chicken, salt, chicken fat, dextrose, sugar, natural flavoring, roast chicken flavor {chicken fat, flavor, safflower oil}, chicken broth, tumeric], modified corn starch, roasted garlic, rosemary, spices), spice blend (bell pepper, onion, parsley, spice.)

Last edited by Miche124; 11-19-2012 at 09:38 AM..
Old 11-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #613
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
There probably is one. But you can go buy the book Dr. Atkin New Diet Revolution. They are in paper back and I am sure you can find one for less than $10. They have a lot of useful information beyond just the food list.
Okay. I've been doing low carb on and off since 2010 and I haven't read a single low carb book, except for recipe books. haha! I am putting a book on my Christmas wish list
Old 11-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #614
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Okay. I've been doing low carb on and off since 2010 and I haven't read a single low carb book, except for recipe books. haha! I am putting a book on my Christmas wish list
PM me your address and I will send you an early Christmas present. No since in waiting a month. I have an extra one.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:30 AM   #615
Senior LCF Member

I live in Norway so it might be expensive and I can't pay you back, but thanks for the offer that's so sweet!
Old 11-20-2012, 04:07 PM   #616
Senior LCF Member

Well I have been drinking coffee this past week after having given it up for several months. Just one cup in the morning. But I have to stop because man has it really been effecting my blood sugar levels. It just doesn't work for me. Still discovering stuff that does and doesn't work for me on a daily basis. I guess I am just sensitive creature.

Last edited by Big Stevie; 11-20-2012 at 04:12 PM..
Old 11-21-2012, 02:55 PM   #617
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miche124 View Post
Can someone please tell me if this is something I could have on Thanksgiving, without messing up my diet? It all looks okay, but the ingredients list may be a problem.

Trader Joe's Pork Roast Florentine
"This entrée embodies elegance, dynamism, and deliciousness… and, perhaps, most unexpectedly – ease. Our Pork Roast Florentine is a boneless pork roast that’s layered with ricotta & feta cheeses, roasted red bell peppers, spinach and then rolled into a beautiful spiral. It’s frozen while raw to preserve freshness & flavor, so when you are ready to impress, simply cook it in the oven (about 40 min), slice, place on serving plate and drizzle with the irresistible roasted garlic rosemary sauce that accompanies it. And at $8.99 for a 1 lb 3.5 oz container (serves 3-4), it also embodies great value."-from traderjoes.com

NUTRITON FACTS
Value My Daily Value
Calories 240 Kcal
Total Fat 13 g
Saturated Fat 6 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 85 mg
Sodium 400 mg
Total Carbohydrate 4 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 1 g
Protein 28 g

boneless pork loin (contains up to 12% of a solution of water, postassium lactate, dextrose, sodium phosphates, salt), stuffing (blanched spinach, ricotta cheese [milk, whey, skim milk, vinegar, xanthan gum, locust bean gum, guar gum {stabilizers}] feta cheese [pasteurized milk, salt, cheese culture, rennet, lipase], roasted red bell peppers [red peppers, water, salt, citric acid], french bread crumbs [enriched flour {malted barley flour, niacin, reduced iron, ascorbic acid, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid}, water, salt, yeast), lemon juice [from concentrate]), finishing sauce (water, demi glace concentrate [reduced wine, vegetable concentrates (tomato, onion, carrot, celery), maltodextrin, sugar, beef stock, natural flavor, salt, butter {cream [milk]}, yeast extract, beef fat), chablis wine {contains sulfites}, chicken base [chicken, salt, chicken fat, dextrose, sugar, natural flavoring, roast chicken flavor {chicken fat, flavor, safflower oil}, chicken broth, tumeric], modified corn starch, roasted garlic, rosemary, spices), spice blend (bell pepper, onion, parsley, spice.)
Hey, Miche -

Since the carb count is so low, there are clearly only *trace* amounts of those carby elements in the stuffing. So I don't think it'll have a large enough impact to throw you out of ketosis or keto-adaptation. I'm taking a chance on *trace* carbs on Thanksgiving. I did some low-carb baking, but I used Baker's Joy spray (a combination of fat and flour) to prep the pans. I wouldn't normally do this, but I'm taking a chance on it for Thanksgiving.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #618
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Trillex! Good to know I'm on the right track.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #619
Senior LCF Member

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. Have fun!!!
Old 11-22-2012, 06:13 AM   #620
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/136/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
miche-- sounds good and tell us how it turns out.

you might explore adding firm tofu after your two weeks of induction are done:
3-oz. of firm tofu contains about 2 to 4 g carbs and soft, silken tofu has 2 to 2.5 g.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #621
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyQueen View Post
miche-- sounds good and tell us how it turns out.

you might explore adding firm tofu after your two weeks of induction are done:
3-oz. of firm tofu contains about 2 to 4 g carbs and soft, silken tofu has 2 to 2.5 g.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #622
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SarahBara
Stats: 209/187/160
Start Date: November 2012
Hi everyone. I am new to the Atkins way of life. Actually I haven't started yet I am just in the midst of reading his book and just entered the chapters that are dealing with the Induction Process. For the better part of a year I have been on a low fat diet and had only managed to take off about 22 lbs with strict eating and lots of walking. I am proud of that but recently I have relapsed and found my self missing out on foods that I love. fortunately for me I am more of a savory person that a sweets person. But that still doesn't matter when it comes to the carb count. DAMN.. lol I wish it was that easy.
But I am bound and determined to give this a go and see where it takes me. My oldest son is a type 1 diabetic so I can see clearly what counting carb is like and cant believe how many are in what we eat every day. I hope that I can get some useful info on here and lots of great recipes that will not leave me wishing for the carbs. Hope to ttyal..
Old 11-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #623
Senior LCF Member

Welcome Sarah. With a diabetic in the house, this diet should come very naturally to you. I bet it will make you feel better as well. I am slowly getting my whole family converted over. The first couple of days on the diet are challenging but then you will feel great. Be prepared with lots of food and don't let yourself get hungry. Also, coming from Low Fat, you really need to totally restructure your thought process. Fats are good on this diet and you need them. You will be looking for extra fat. Keep checking in and let us know how your doing.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #624
Senior LCF Member

So how did you guys do on Thanksgiving? I had a good one. But I was surprised at how people were encouraging me to eat sugar saying it was only one day. I just let it pass. I have decided that I am writing my family a letter and sending it to each of them telling them I will never again be eating sugar because it causes me to get fat and feel bad physically. Hopefully that will put an end to there encouraging me to eat sugary things.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #625
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
So how did you guys do on Thanksgiving? I had a good one. But I was surprised at how people were encouraging me to eat sugar saying it was only one day. I just let it pass. I have decided that I am writing my family a letter and sending it to each of them telling them I will never again be eating sugar because it causes me to get fat and feel bad physically. Hopefully that will put an end to there encouraging me to eat sugary things.
I stayed low-carb for Thanksgiving, too. After all of the time and effort I've put into this diet, I didn't see a point to having potatoes or corn or cake just because they were there. Know what I mean? I made my own food and took it with me to the family dinner. My sister-in-law, who cooked the main family dinner, had a lot of cheesey, buttery veggie dishes but I stayed away from them because I couldn't know what else she put into them. We're Caribbean and, in our culture, we put sugar in EVERYTHING. So I didn't want to take any chances and get an unwanted surprise.

Honestly, I wasn't even tempted. I don't know if I'll still feel this way tomorrow, or next week, or next year, but the food just didn't seem like something that was worth sacrificing all of my hard work to have. Maybe if there had been something that I'd never had before -- something that people told me was amazing -- maybe then I would have been tempted. But as much as I enjoy mashed potatoes and this special corn dish that we make, called maiz criollo, they're not a deal breaker. I know what they taste like, and as delicious as they are, they don't taste good enough for me to sacrifice one minute of my keto-adaptation. So I made it through Thanksgiving with no trouble or regrets. One day at a time, brothers and sisters!
Old 11-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #626
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Almost forgot! Good work on not giving in to the pressure!!!

I'm lucky because my family is full of people with different, strange eating habits -- my dad's vegan and both of my brothers are bodybuilders -- so they're super supportive of my non-mainstream diet choices. My sister-in-law, however, gave me a whole lecture on how I "just need portion control to lose weight." To be fair, she is very fit and she stays that way by eating tiny teeny tiny portions. But I don't think she's right in assuming that everyone in the world can live the way she lives and succeed at it.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #627
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
Almost forgot! Good work on not giving in to the pressure!!!
it.
Thanks. The worst was my oldest sister who lives on lots of sugar each day. She has never been over weight in her life even though she eats cakes and cookies daily. She was always the one bringing up my weight. I am glad I didn't give into her comments either then or now.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:57 AM   #628
Senior LCF Member

Big Stevie and Trillex: you must be so proud of yourselves! It takes this kind of attitude to win the long game.

My Trader Joe's roast was terrible. I've tasted tenderer shoe leather! Never buy it. I spent Thanksgiving alone, so wasn't tempted to cheat. I went to a movie and brought my TJ's Handful of Roasted Almonds with me. If there's a reward for having no social life, it's that I don't have the food temptations that other people have. But ironically, typically once I start losing significant weight I become more social, and those temptations are right there waiting for me.

I only lost .5 pound this week. This is usual for me on a diet, and promises a very, very long haul. Again.

I spend so much time at the computer at home, I actually looked into getting one of these.

Last edited by Miche124; 11-27-2012 at 09:00 AM..
Old 11-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #629
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: manuela_w
Stats: 262/240/220
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: November 2012
I'm a new induction baby, I am on day 4 of a low carb high fat diet (I read Gary Taubes book "Why We Get Fat" and various Swedish blogs for guidance). Lost 6 lbs so far, probably mostly of water weight. Doing well and after 2 days of induction flu, feel great =)
Old 11-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #630
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuela_w View Post
I'm a new induction baby, I am on day 4 of a low carb high fat diet (I read Gary Taubes book "Why We Get Fat" and various Swedish blogs for guidance). Lost 6 lbs so far, probably mostly of water weight. Doing well and after 2 days of induction flu, feel great =)
That is great. Water or not, I wan't to weight less. Don't downplay any loss.

That is great that you are feeling better already. You will continue to feel better from here on out. I would also get Dr. Atkins book. It contains a lot of valuable information. Looking forward to losing with you.
Closed Thread