Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 05:08 AM   #511
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Well, I've just woken up, but I'm starting the morning with coffee + coconut oil. Delicious. I hope the coconut oil helps with my digestion, as the months of severe restriction just wreaked havoc on it. Up to this point, I have had to take Miralax everyday or else I can expect to be backed up for up to 10 days.. that stuff is expensive ya'll!! Yesterday was my last dose and I'm trying to get away from unhealthy practices like that.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #512
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Well, I've just woken up, but I'm starting the morning with coffee + coconut oil. Delicious. I hope the coconut oil helps with my digestion, as the months of severe restriction just wreaked havoc on it. Up to this point, I have had to take Miralax everyday or else I can expect to be backed up for up to 10 days.. that stuff is expensive ya'll!! Yesterday was my last dose and I'm trying to get away from unhealthy practices like that.
Somewhere on LCF's someone said coffee helps with those problems, so with coffee AND coconut oil I would think that might do the trick. I have been drinking a LOT of water and that is the only thing I have been doing differently, so that is doing it for me (and cheap, too!) .
Old 10-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #513
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Miche124
Stats: 192.5/183/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: October 13, 2012
Hi, I'm new to low carbs, and just finished my first week of semi-permanent induction. I'm also starting to feel better, too. Getting off diet sodas is my next goal, and I got some great suggestions for doing that here.

I made up a fiber "pancake" today that I really liked: 2 Tbsp. flax meal, one egg, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and a bit of water for consistency. I poured it into a pan of melted butter and cooked it like a pancake.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #514
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Update: Lets just say coffee + coconut oil is working 100 times better than Miralax ever did for me.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #515
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Update: Lets just say coffee + coconut oil is working 100 times better than Miralax ever did for me.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:07 AM   #516
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alonewithyou
Stats: 5'4, 150 lbs
WOE: Atkins >20 carbs a day
Start Date: 09-01-10/10-29-12/01-10-13/07-29-13
I seriously need to get into this again. None of my pants fit me I need ideas for a meal that doesn't taste all fatty though. And no salad pls. I only like salad next to something else, like chicken.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:35 AM   #517
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...es-thread.html

This thread is recipes just for induction. Not sure what you are looking for. Hope that helps!

Last edited by Tilly; 10-22-2012 at 02:42 AM..
Old 10-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #518
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
Yeah I am just using nuts as snacks. Only about 10 a day.

There are plenty of good recipes and ways to eat low carb. Look in the recipient threads and use your imagination.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #519
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Laurel
Stats: 188/168/135
Start Date: 7/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonewithyou View Post
I seriously need to get into this again. None of my pants fit me I need ideas for a meal that doesn't taste all fatty though. And no salad pls. I only like salad next to something else, like chicken.
I make chicken piccata low carb style.

Beat and egg dip the chicken, then bread it in green can "parmesan"

Saute in nonstick pan with some butter and olive oil

Once chicken has cooked, remove and add a little white wine, lemon juice, chopped capers, minced garlic, and lemon zest. You can also add some chicken stock and reduce it all down til it's thicker. When reduced, remove from heat and swirl in a pat of butter. Top chicken with sauce. You could also make some "noodles" using a veggie peeler with zucchini or saute some spinach.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #520
Senior LCF Member

Yum, that sounds delish! I have never cooked with whine, ever! I wouldn't mind having just salad with that actually. Just can't stand it by itself. It's not filling to me.

Thanks for the tip
Old 10-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #521
Senior LCF Member

That chicken recipie sounds good.

Last edited by Big Stevie; 10-23-2012 at 05:04 PM..
Old 10-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #522
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I seriously need to get into this again. None of my pants fit me

Yeah you do, but it might not help with the pants problem. Mine don't fit either! They're all too big!!!:

Get back on it, it is worth it.

Last edited by Big Stevie; 10-23-2012 at 05:40 PM..
Old 10-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #523
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
I've brought my grill inside now that it's cool out, unfortunately, I don't enjoy the *greasy* taste of steak or pork chops when I cook them in the broiler. So I've been making stir-fry with meat and veggies, instead of eating steak or chops with a side salad the way I did all summer.

I chop up about a half cup of green beans or broccoli, dice a tablespoon of fresh jalapeno, and slice the meat into 1-inch strips, then stir-fry the meat and veggies in a blend of sesame oil, minced garlic, black pepper, and add a pinch of orange rind.

It tastes *fresher* to me this way, than just eating meat on a plate.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:37 AM   #524
Senior LCF Member

Haha. Hopefully my pants will get too big I'm 150 ish now and it's my highest. I feel huge.. Bah. I am definitely ready for a change!

The problem I have with greasy food is eating it in the morning. It's ok the rest of the day!

This place and all of its lovely people, like you, will surely help me keep motivated and inspired! Thank you!
Old 10-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #525
Senior LCF Member

At first, most people just eat basic piece of meat. Once you get into this diet, you start seeking other ways to get the proteins and fats in. I do a lot of stir frying as well.

Well I added back in nuts to my diet and guess what, I didn't loose any weight this week but I didn't gain any either. I had another week earlier in my diet where I stayed the same and then lost 10 pounds the next week. But since I don't know what is going to happen next week, I am just going to eliminate the nuts and see what next week brings.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #526
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
The problem I have with greasy food is eating it in the morning. It's ok the rest of the day!
I am having the most trouble eating breakfast as well. You need to expand your views of what breakfast can be. It doesn't have be traditional breakfast foods. It could be something like cheese and lunch meat, a stir fry, a cobb salad, or a hot-dog.

Also, look up the 1 minute muffin recipe. They work well for breakfast.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #527
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
I've brought my grill inside now that it's cool out, unfortunately, I don't enjoy the *greasy* taste of steak or pork chops when I cook them in the broiler. So I've been making stir-fry with meat and veggies, instead of eating steak or chops with a side salad the way I did all summer.

I chop up about a half cup of green beans or broccoli, dice a tablespoon of fresh jalapeno, and slice the meat into 1-inch strips, then stir-fry the meat and veggies in a blend of sesame oil, minced garlic, black pepper, and add a pinch of orange rind.

It tastes *fresher* to me this way, than just eating meat on a plate.
Last time I did not want to fire up my grill, I cooked my steak in my cast iron skillet. That was really good.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #528
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
Last time I did not want to fire up my grill, I cooked my steak in my cast iron skillet. That was really good.
Yes cast iron is great for steaks. Get the pan as hot as you can. Melt butter. Leave it down until you see the blood coming up then flip it. It creates a great outer crust on the steak. It usually takes about 7 minutes on the first side and about 5 on the other for medium rare.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:59 PM   #529
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
Yes cast iron is great for steaks. Get the pan as hot as you can. Melt butter. Leave it down until you see the blood coming up then flip it. It creates a great outer crust on the steak. It usually takes about 7 minutes on the first side and about 5 on the other for medium rare.
Yum, didn't add butter but sure will next time. Bought 4 recently for when my girls came home from school for fall break. Well, the night we were to have them, one was not home and the other one and I were too full from lunch. So lucky me, I have 4 nice steaks in my freezer!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #530
Senior LCF Member

Make sure you thaw the steaks and dry them with a paper towel before you put the seasonings on. The butter and the water on the steak don't mix. I used to cook steaks like this in a high end steak house. Have fun. Don't worry about burning the outside and only flip the steak once. I usually use about a 1/2 stick of butter to cook them in. I sometime put fresh garlic in the butter as well. I am cooking some NY strips like this tonight for dinner.

Last edited by Big Stevie; 10-24-2012 at 05:43 PM..
Old 10-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #531
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Make sure you thaw the steaks and dry them with a paper towel before you put the seasonings on. The butter and the water on the steak don't mix. I used to cook steaks like this in a high end steak house. Have fun. Don't worry about burning the outside and only flip the steak once. I usually use about a 1/2 stick of butter to cook them in. I sometime put fresh garlic in the butter as well. I am cooking some NY strips like this tonight for dinner.

Thank you, I have ruined steaks, so will use these directions.

Last edited by Tilly; 10-24-2012 at 07:13 PM..
Old 10-25-2012, 12:32 AM   #532
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Have you considered making crepes for breakfast?

I make a crepe batter by whipping up in the food processor: one egg, a couple of tablespoons of heavy cream, a tablespoon of cream cheese, and half a teaspoon of butter flavor (so they won't taste eggy). Then I fry the crepes, super thin, one-at-a-time in hot butter until they're golden brown.

I usually make fillings out of chopped meat, veggies, and some shredded cheese. Mushroom, tomato, ground lamb, and cheddar filling is one of my favorites. Broccoli, chicken, and parmesan filling is also good, especially with a bit of extra cheese melted on top.

Then I stuff the crepes with the filling and roll them up and refrigerate them, so I can just pop them in the oven for 10-15 minutes in the morning. They're quite nice, actually! Not as good as pastry-flour crepes, but these fake-crepes are a nice vehicle for the stuffing and it's a quick thing to grab in the morning.

Quote:
I love steakhouse steaks, so I will give the cast-iron skillet a try! My steaks in my home oven just never taste as good to me as steakhouse steaks. I buy grass-fed meat -- I know it's good stuff. Meat just tastes *blah* to me from my broiler. I want the steak to be as rare as possible. Sizzle. And to melt in my mouth!
Old 10-25-2012, 03:48 AM   #533
Senior LCF Member

Yeah Trillex, I've done that before Only with 2 eggs and 2 tbs cream or sour cream. Those are really good

Someone needs to kick me in the rear!! I have tons of ideas, but still, it's so hard to get started!! The stores are filling up with Christmas goods and I don't know what to do... Plus my cabinets are full of candy.... I know it's all excuses, but, darnit.. It's hard!
Old 10-25-2012, 08:12 AM   #534
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Someone needs to kick me in the rear!! I have tons of ideas, but still, it's so hard to get started!! The stores are filling up with Christmas goods and I don't know what to do... Plus my cabinets are full of candy.... I know it's all excuses, but, darnit.. It's hard!
You need to get rid of the candy. Throw it in the trash or give it to a neighbor but it needs to be out of the house. TODAY! It is killing you.

Second, you need to go shopping for good food. Get lots of good food in your house so when you are hungry, it is easy to eat he right thing. For me, I always have a few things.

1. A big Ham, a big pot roast, or a big pork shoulder fully cooked and ready to eat for the whole week. I cook it on Sunday for the week. I use these meats in a variety of ways. I use them for a quick snack, omelets, stir fry, salads, or sandwiches (on lettuce).

2. Snack foods. For me it is avocados, olives, pickles, celery with cream cheese, hard boiled eggs, deviled eggs, and pork rinds.

3. Salad. You must have salad vegetable to eat every day. Buy a variety of lettuce. Make sure you buy some with big leafs to make sandwiches. I usually use the outside leaves for sandwiches and the inside for salad.

When you have this stuff in the fridge, it makes it easy to stay on plan. If you don't, it makes it easy to cheat especially when you are tired. So go shopping today.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #535
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Laurel
Stats: 188/168/135
Start Date: 7/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post

I love steakhouse steaks, so I will give the cast-iron skillet a try! My steaks in my home oven just never taste as good to me as steakhouse steaks. I buy grass-fed meat -- I know it's good stuff. Meat just tastes *blah* to me from my broiler. I want the steak to be as rare as possible. Sizzle. And to melt in my mouth!
Plenty of salt is a huge difference. Plus if you're getting dry-aged steakhouse steaks, that could explain the vastly different experience. Dry-aged beef is pricey (even more so grass-fed dry-aged) as a great deal of the meat is lost due to mold and moisture loss. But the payoff is that the steak has concentrated flavor and enzymes have begun breaking down the meat so it cuts like butter.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #536
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbinIt
Stats: 225/225/150
WOE: Atkins | Low Carb
Hey everyone! Congrats on your progress!!! I did Atkins years ago and had great success. Hopefully this time around will be the same.

Question- Can you have Wasa Crackers on Induction? Back when I did Atkins before, they wernt even around! LOL

Thanks and good luck on your journey to a healthier YOU!
Old 10-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #537
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
You need to get rid of the candy. Throw it in the trash or give it to a neighbor but it needs to be out of the house. TODAY! It is killing you.

Second, you need to go shopping for good food. Get lots of good food in your house so when you are hungry, it is easy to eat he right thing. For me, I always have a few things.

1. A big Ham, a big pot roast, or a big pork shoulder fully cooked and ready to eat for the whole week. I cook it on Sunday for the week. I use these meats in a variety of ways. I use them for a quick snack, omelets, stir fry, salads, or sandwiches (on lettuce).

2. Snack foods. For me it is avocados, olives, pickles, celery with cream cheese, hard boiled eggs, deviled eggs, and pork rinds.

3. Salad. You must have salad vegetable to eat every day. Buy a variety of lettuce. Make sure you buy some with big leafs to make sandwiches. I usually use the outside leaves for sandwiches and the inside for salad.

When you have this stuff in the fridge, it makes it easy to stay on plan. If you don't, it makes it easy to cheat especially when you are tired. So go shopping today.
Yeah, I feel like crap when I eat candy, so. Thanks for the great advice I neeeeed to do this!!
Old 10-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #538
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbinIt View Post
Question- Can you have Wasa Crackers on Induction? Back when I did Atkins before, they wernt even around! LOL
From what I've seen around the forum, most people seem to eat a wide variety of things -- like nuts, fruit, limited whole grains -- and they just make their menu stay accountable to their net-carb count, rather than avoid particular groups of food. So most people seem to eat Wasa or Ryvita type products, and low-carb breads, and other carb-controlled products that contain some grains.

I'm trying to honestly follow the Atkins carb ladder, though. So, since wheat is the very last thing on the ladder, I'm not planning to eat anything that contains wheat ingredients until I'm MUCH closer to goal.

But, as I've said, if you look around the forum you'll see that plenty of people eat these products and have great success! It's really up to your preferences, I think, and about finding out how your body responds to small amounts of grains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
Plenty of salt is a huge difference. Plus if you're getting dry-aged steakhouse steaks, that could explain the vastly different experience. Dry-aged beef is pricey (even more so grass-fed dry-aged) as a great deal of the meat is lost due to mold and moisture loss. But the payoff is that the steak has concentrated flavor and enzymes have begun breaking down the meat so it cuts like butter.
You're right! I talked to my meat guy and it is not dry-aged. I try to buy from local family farms, so my guy is checking into alternative local vendors.

I was very happy with this meat when it was cooked on charcoal, though, I must say.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #539
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbinIt
Stats: 225/225/150
WOE: Atkins | Low Carb
Thank you so much Trillex for the reply! I have seen a lot of your posts here on the forum and respect your knowledge!
Old 10-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #540
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Anastasis
Stats: 184.6/181.6/160
WOE: Atkins (primal)
Start Date: 11/2/2012
Hey Guys,

Wanted to introduce myself. Been reading a lot on the forums and you guys are great. Thanks for all the helpful hints.

In short, I've always been athletic but a little "fluffy" - technically in the overweight BMI range but healthy body fat range. Started college at 162 and after a long-term relationship with an inactive, very unhealthy eater and a year living abroad, I was up to 207. Started medical school and in fits and starts, mainly using WW, I was down to 172 the day I graduated. But then intern year started and I'm all the way up to 190 by the end. I've been eating primal/paleo-ish for the last month and I definitely feel amazing and my clothes fit better, but not a huge move on the scale. Decided to try low carb to see if I can jump start this and get the scale moving. Getting married in 06/2013 and want to be at 160 by then. Let's see if I can do it working an 80 hr week!
Closed Thread