Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 08:30 AM   #481
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
I figure I will keep posting to this thread. Maybe someone else who started with me is still following even though they aren't posting anymore. This program continues to work for me.

Well another week finished. I have gone to the lowest setting on my belt this week. The pants I bought at the thrift store a couple weeks back I was wearing without a belt are now falling down. So that is the good news. The strange news is that even with the body changes, the scale didn't move much this week, only 2 pounds down. With the changes in my body, I was expecting a lot more pounds to be gone. Scales are discouraging and may not be the best indication of what is truly going on.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #482
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Hi, Big Stevie! I'm still here. I'm still following you. Totally in your corner, bro!!! I just never have anything to post because I only measure my diet's developments once per month.

About the scale, I have lived with a variety of bodybuilders -- both of my brothers and some cousins and boyfriends -- and I've learned that the scale isn't a tool you can use (on its own) to gauge the details of fat loss, muscle gain, or any type of body recomposition. People who need accurate details about their bodyfat, like bodybuilders, get body scans and they use software algorithms that are custom-built from the trend data of their previous recomposition results.

If you want more info about your bodyfat changes, you can use calipers to estimate your changes. You can get a set of the "multi site" calipers from your gym or from an online store for less than $20. They might even be less than $10. They aren't super accurate, but they'll give you more info than just using the scale.

Another thing I learned from living with bodybuilders is that, even if every ounce a body has lost comes solely from the fat stores, the corresponding size loss is different for everyone. I've lived with guys who measured their bodies to the millimeter, and who spent a fortune to track their body composition using scans and custom-built algorithms. And every one of them changed size in different ways when they put on muscle or cut bodyfat. Even my brothers, who are very similar to each other, change size in different ways. It's so WEIRD to watch!

One of our close family friends has a body that preferentially stores fat around his abdomen, to an extreme extent. He has to drop to 5-7% bodyfat to see ANY ab definition. It's almost unbelievable. My brothers were always really hard on him, because they thought he wasn't working hard enough to build up the underlying muscles. But then, when he finally cut his bodyfat down to competition-level, they could see that he had great development but that his body just had a tendency to store ALL of his fat on top of it. At one point, they told me, he lost half a pound of fat and that half pound made him lose a little over an inch around his waist. An inch is A LOT! These are guys that celebrate a millimeter of size.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #483
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Trillex. Nice to have someone hanging in with me. Yeah was ales are crazy. I am gonna stay off it for a good long while now. I don't want to let it mess with my head.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:33 AM   #484
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: grits088
Stats: 300/278/160
WOE: Adkins
Start Date: starting over 9/17/2012
Neezie and Jillieb, You guys have inspired me, and I would like to join you if I can. I need to post everyday...just to keep me on track. I am 278 right now. Goal is 160.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:40 AM   #485
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
I won't go back, and if I do, kick my hinny.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #486
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grits088 View Post
Neezie and Jillieb, You guys have inspired me, and I would like to join you if I can. I need to post everyday...just to keep me on track. I am 278 right now. Goal is 160.
Welcome. Post away. We will do our best together.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #487
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mspartytime
Stats: 248/240/155
WOE: ATkins induction
Start Date: started induction 12/27/2012
I joined back in May at 225lbs. Lost 13lbs and then gained it all back and then some. It is now October and I am 241lbs. Dr. says I am considered prediabetic since my fasting blood sugar is high. Apparently it's only the fasting blood sugar so I am not technically diabetic YET! ANyways, I just watched that juicing documentary where that guy goes on a 61 day juice fast and loses 87lbs and made me think about how I have really fallen off the wagon at my highest weight EVER! BUT juicing isn't for me since I have a texture issue with food and just the look of that juice he was making made me gag. Anyways I know low carb is the way to go so I am going to jump start my weightloss in induction with just meat and eggs for at least a few days.

Question: how do you people keep from being constipated though? And do fiber supplements count as carbs?
Old 10-06-2012, 11:52 PM   #488
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspartytime View Post
I joined back in May at 225lbs. Lost 13lbs and then gained it all back and then some. It is now October and I am 241lbs. Dr. says I am considered prediabetic since my fasting blood sugar is high. Apparently it's only the fasting blood sugar so I am not technically diabetic YET! ANyways, I just watched that juicing documentary where that guy goes on a 61 day juice fast and loses 87lbs and made me think about how I have really fallen off the wagon at my highest weight EVER! BUT juicing isn't for me since I have a texture issue with food and just the look of that juice he was making made me gag. Anyways I know low carb is the way to go so I am going to jump start my weightloss in induction with just meat and eggs for at least a few days.

Question: how do you people keep from being constipated though? And do fiber supplements count as carbs?
Hello! Welcome back to Atkins-ville! I also started Atkins in May -- on 11 May of this year -- and I weighed 235 pounds when I started. So we are very similar!

I'm not a success story, yet, but I've lost 37 pounds as of my last weigh-in (I only weigh and measure my body once a month, on the 11th of the month) and I now feel WAY HEALTHIER than I have felt in years. I can now run for the bus and not be out of breath!!! That's not a big deal to most people, I know, but I couldn't do it four months ago. So I feel great about my progress. I can tell by looking at other people's stats in this forum that I haven't lost pounds as quickly as most people. But my modest losses have added up over time and now I'm almost 40% of the way to my goal of losing 100 pounds. I honestly believe that if I can lose some fat and feel better, then ANYBODY can do it. And I think it's probably easier for other people to lose than it has been for me, because my body seems to like stasis.

RE: Constipation

I take a soup spoonful of psyllium fiber with a half liter of water before each meal. I also take a magnesium supplement each night before bed. I have been regular as a clock! It might just be me, though, because I've never had bathroom problems in my life. And Laurel mentioned in another thread on this forum that she tried psyllium and magnesium, and they didn't work for her. So your results may be different from mine. I only started taking the psyllium and magnesium when I began the diet because the book I'm following, Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution (published 2002), mentioned constipation as a potential problem and suggested these supplements as remedies. I figured I would be better off taking precautions from the very beginning, rather than risk having problems.

I don't count the carbs in the psyllium fiber as part of my daily carb total, but I do include each serving in my daily diet nutrition count.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #489
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspartytime View Post

You know, I am not sure what keeps me going. I have the psyllium at home, but have not taken it in a long time. I am drinking a LOT of water lately. I suspect that is what is keeping me on track.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #490
Senior LCF Member

You can also take some coconut oil. It will do the trick. Be carful and start slow.

Great news Trillex that you are now down 37. You and I are right about the same place.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #491
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 1DStyles
Hi there everyone, I made a new post about what I've been eating because I seem to have stalled and gained about 4-5lbs. But I think I'm eating TOO many gms of fat/protein a day.

Breakfast: 4oz Chicken breast with 2T butter, 3oz mozzarella, 5 asparagus
Lunch: 1 pouch of tuna 2.5oz, 3 whole eggs, 4T mayonnaise, 1T chives
Dinner: 3/4c mushrooms (measured raw of course) 5oz pot roast that was sprinkled with a bbq seasoning which has 0 sugars, and no oils.
I did NOT eat as many veggies today but I usually get my 2 "salad" 1 "other" veggies in a day. BUT seeing everyone elses menu's mine has much more fat/protein so should I be eating less? I'm not starving so could reduce my intake but any menus suggestions would be fantastic lol!

Cals: 2020 Fat: 135.3 Carbs: 14.2 Protein:159.6
Old 10-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #492
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DStyles View Post
Hi there everyone, I made a new post about what I've been eating because I seem to have stalled and gained about 4-5lbs. But I think I'm eating TOO many gms of fat/protein a day.

Breakfast: 4oz Chicken breast with 2T butter, 3oz mozzarella, 5 asparagus
Lunch: 1 pouch of tuna 2.5oz, 3 whole eggs, 4T mayonnaise, 1T chives
Dinner: 3/4c mushrooms (measured raw of course) 5oz pot roast that was sprinkled with a bbq seasoning which has 0 sugars, and no oils.
I did NOT eat as many veggies today but I usually get my 2 "salad" 1 "other" veggies in a day. BUT seeing everyone elses menu's mine has much more fat/protein so should I be eating less? I'm not starving so could reduce my intake but any menus suggestions would be fantastic lol!

Cals: 2020 Fat: 135.3 Carbs: 14.2 Protein:159.6
RE: The stall

It seems like you're already measuring your quantities but I still want to mention that the very first step when you're stalled, I think, is to weigh and measure all of your meals for at least one day to make sure you *really are* eating what you *believe you are* eating. There are a lot of diet-behavior studies which show that almost every dieter underestimates portions when doing food logs. There's a really famous, long-term study of nurses who were followed for years after being given training and nutrition education, and every single one of them underestimated portions when they didn't actually measure them. And the situation is further complicated by the fact that the portion sizes in carb and calorie counters almost never match the portion sizes that people actually eat.

The next step, after weighing and measuring, depends on how long you've been stalled. If you're talking about a stall that has lasted less than a week, your body could just be downsizing in a way that will take time to show on the scale. Depending on your size, 4-5 pounds is most likely a tiny reflection of your changing fluid balance. While your fluid balance is shifting, you may not be able to accurately measure fat loss on the scale because you could easily release or retain more than 4-5 pounds in water each day.

Switching from a glucose-burning metabolism to a ketogenic fat-burning metabolism changes your body's fluid balance. When you burn off your glycogen stores you don't just lose the stored sugar, you also lose the storage facility for a lot of water. Your muscles and your liver don't hold water in the same way when your muscles and liver no longer have glycogen molecules to attach water to. Ketogenic diets fundamentally change the way your body fuels itself so, especially during the beginning months, there's a lot of changes going on inside you. This is why most people lose pounds faster at the beginning than they do during later stages of the diet.

Fluid balance is also one reason why, after you burn off your initial store of glycogen during the first couple of days or weeks of the diet, most people tend to have scale losses as a series of ups and downs, rather than a pattern of consistent day-to-day losses.

RE: Tweaking your menu

If you want tweak your menu to suit your specific fat loss goals, you should take a look at a good low carb nutritional calculator. Every person is different! So a calculator that will allow you to enter your gender, age, weight, height, activity level, and current carb intake can help you develop specific targets -- for your specific body -- to estimate your daily protein and fat intake goals. (I had my bodyfat tested when I started, so I was able to enter my bodyfat information. But you don't need your bodyfat info, if you don't have it, the calculator will still work.)

I used the calculator on Jenny Ruhl's Blood Sugar 101 website because my trainer recommended it. But I'm sure there are other calculators out there. If you want to take a look at the nutritional calculator I used: google "Jenny Ruhl" and "Blood Sugar 101" to find the Blood Sugar 101 website > then click on the "Diet" tab at the top right side of the webpage > then click on "Low Carb Nutritional Calendar" from the selections below.

I have consistently lost 2 pounds per week eating 100-400 more calories per day than the nutrition calculator says I actually need to eat in order to lose those two pounds per week, so I haven't been sticking to the calculator's recommendation for daily calories. But I still like having the calculator's daily protein and fat recommendations as guidelines. I think having daily targets has kept me from going overboard and eating when I'm not actually hungry. I stay under 20g carbs per day, per Atkins induction, and I generally stick pretty closely to the nutrition calculator's protein recommendation. However, I allow myself to eat more fat. So I generally eat between 1,200-1,600 calories per day.

I'm not suggesting you eat exactly what the calculator tells you to eat. But if you want to tweak your diet in a way that isn't just guesses that are based on what someone who isn't your gender, weight, height, and age are eating, then a low-carb nutrition calculator is a good place to start. After you have some basic guidelines, you can then try your *tweak* for a week and see if the scale is down at the end of the week. Based on what I've seen in this forum, a lot of people can effectively use daily feedback from the scale to tweak their diets. But if you really are experiencing a *stall*, and if your stall is related to shifting fluid balance, then you will probably get more accurate information over the course of a week than you could get from one day of feedback from the scale.

Stay strong! After almost five months of Atkins -- of weighing and measuring all of my food every day, and avoiding all processed foods and restaurants, and not drinking alcohol when I go out -- it feels like I've been doing this FOREVER. But I've made solid progress and I'm almost 40% of the way to my goal and I'm much healthier now than I was when I started and, most importantly, I know that I won't reach my goal unless I keep working hard.
After all of the work I've put in, I want to see it pay off. I hope you do, too!
Old 10-10-2012, 02:33 AM   #493
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ucdoit
Hi all! I would like to join you guys on here. I have been active in another fitness site that emphasizes on calorie counting, which I am still doing, but have recently read Gary Taube's book and decide to give low carb a try! It seems this forum has a lot of people knowledgeable about this WOL. I need people to hold me accountable!!
Old 10-10-2012, 03:14 AM   #494
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, Trillex, that was nice of you to go into such detail. That was so helpful to me as well, thank you very much!
Old 10-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #495
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
Wow, Trillex, that was nice of you to go into such detail. That was so helpful to me as well, thank you very much!
I'm SO GLAD it's helpful to you! You're a super nice person, who has given support to everyone around here.

I'm also glad my buddy (who's my trainer) got me to read all of these books about low-carb mechanics like blood glucose and keto-adaptation. It's fascinating stuff! Our bodies are truly amazing works of art. And reading about the metabolic processes has helped me appreciate everything my body does, not just burning fat but also managing water and minerals and hormones and enzymes.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #496
Junior LCF Member

Thank you :D

Thank you for the reply I do measure everything out via digital scale or measuring spoons/cups. I forgot to measure once and that was when I ate pot roast I guessed the ounces. But I will measure ALL. I am very large at about 453lbs so you are correct in saying that 4-5lbs isn't much but it freaks me out to see a + number especially when I haven't strayed. I will try not to weigh myself daily becasue of possible fluid balance.

I am almost dead on with the lc nutritional calculator that I found online except it says to have more fat/protein :\ and that is if I wanted to lose 4lbs a week it does not reccommend me losing more than 5 a week because it would be a starvation diet. Thanks for that because I've never used the nutritonal calculator. So since I'm not going to eat as much as the calculator says to (no way could I, I'm full easy) then I guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing and hoping it's just the fluid shifting!! Thank you again!! And Gl on your goals 40% to goal is amazing!
Old 10-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #497
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thank you for the reply I do measure everything out via digital scale or measuring spoons/cups. I forgot to measure once and that was when I ate pot roast I guessed the ounces. But I will measure ALL. I am very large at about 453lbs so you are correct in saying that 4-5lbs isn't much but it freaks me out to see a + number especially when I haven't strayed. I will try not to weigh myself daily becasue of possible fluid balance.

I am almost dead on with the lc nutritional calculator that I found online except it says to have more fat/protein : and that is if I wanted to lose 4lbs a week it does not reccommend me losing more than 5 a week because it would be a starvation diet. Thanks for that because I've never used the nutritonal calculator. So since I'm not going to eat as much as the calculator says to (no way could I, I'm full easy) then I guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing and hoping it's just the fluid shifting!! Thank you again!! And Gl on your goals 40% to goal is amazing!
Congratulations on sticking to your diet and staying strong even though the scale isn't cooperating! I applaud you for being strong enough to look for solutions when things seemed to get a bit difficult, because the statistical majority of dieters -- from every weight range across the spectrum -- quit their diet plans when the situation becomes more challenging. Dieting is truly the most emotionally difficult thing I've ever done in my life, and I don't have quite as many pounds to lose as many people. So you have my heartfelt respect and AWE for what you are undertaking. I believe you will succeed because you have such a terrifically positive attitude.

I'm so glad you found the nutrition calculator helpful! I know that human bodies won't necessarily perform exactly the way that computer estimates say they will perform. But I truly find it helpful to have some guidelines that are based on calculations and medical studies, instead of just doing my own random guesswork. I've definitely tweaked the guidelines, based on my personal results, but I found the calculator to be a useful starting point.

If you want more detailed feedback on the metabolic impact of the foods you're eating, especially if you or your doctor have any concerns about type 2 diabetes, may I also recommend getting a blood glucose meter. I am not diabetic. But a very good buddy of mine, who is supporting me on my diet program, sent me a blood glucose meter when I first began Atkins. And he instructed me to test my fasting blood glucose levels in the morning and then re-test 30, 60, and 120 minutes after each meal, and to keep a log of the foods I ate, the quantities of each portion, and to record my blood glucose levels in response to these meals at the 30, 60, and 120 minute marks.

Doing this much testing takes an absurd amount of work, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend that you do all of the stuff that my buddy had me do. But even just testing your blood glucose before and then 60 minutes after your first meal of the day and your largest meal of the day can give you concrete evidence that the food you're eating is keeping your blood glucose within a good range to keep your insulin levels steady and low enough to support effective keto-adaptation.

At first, I thought all of this blood glucose testing was pointless and painful. My glucose tolerance and A1C were tested before I started this diet program, and my blood glucose levels are absolutely healthy/normal. And I'm eating very low-carb, so none of the food I'm eating pushes my blood glucose level beyond healthy/normal fasting levels. But once I'd tested and recorded the results for different amounts of all of the foods on my diet, I could see patterns in my blood glucose response to different types of veggies and even to different amounts of protein. I think this is really helpful info to have when I move up the Atkins carb ladder and start adding new foods.

I started with 100 pounds to lose -- and I'm not a fast loser -- so I really appreciate having any tool that can give me useful feedback. I'm the kind of person who finds quantitative measurements reassuring.

Good luck to you! I'm positive your hard work and careful attention to what you're doing will be the key to your success.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #498
Junior LCF Member

10/10/12 Menu

4oz pot roast, 1/2c jicama, 5 black olives

1 hard boiled egg, 1/2c jicama, 5 black olives, 3 pieces bacon

1/2c spinach, 2T mayo, 1oz pork rinds

1/2c diced tomatoes, 1c mushrooms, 1T EVOO

3oz cheddar cheese

Cals: 1488 Fat: 118.0 Carbs: 26.9 (not net carbs) Protein: 79.7 This is according to ******.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #499
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well I have to stick it out. I was at my goal weight and now over the past few months is has crept up. It has leveled off but does not seem to go back down even though eating the same, or so I would say. Now that Trillex has so nicely spelled some things out, I will have to find a time to sit down and visit that site that calculates carbs for me. I also need to invest in a really good food scale. And yes, dieting for me is an emotional roller coaster. I felt so good at goal and everything was so baggy on me. Now they fit but I like that baggy feeling in my pants. I could get by with what I am at now, but don't want to. It is definately not the exercising because I go at that daily, between and hour and a half to 3 hours (today). AND mowed my acre lawn! So tomorrow is a new day and will keep on plugging. I think the only reason I do is because of everyone on here, so supportive to everyone. Thanks all of you!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #500
Major LCF Poster!

Monthly Progress

Hiya! Today is my monthly weigh/measure day! Instead of the ~2 pounds per week I lost during the first four months, I lost 1.5 pounds over the past month:

Monthly Weight
11 May - 235 pounds
11 June - 225 pounds
11 July - 215 pounds
11 August - 206.5 pounds
11 September - 198 pounds
11 October (today) - 196.5 pounds

Measured Size Loss To Date
Ankles - Left -0.25", Right -0.25"
Calves - Left -1.25", Right -0.75"
Thighs - Left -1.25", Right -1.50"
Hips - -3.00"
Waist - -2.50"
Upper Arms - Left 0.00", Right 0.00"
Wrists - Left -0.25", Right -0.25"

Well, my fifth month was strange! I lost a lot FEWER pounds this month. So it looks like my steady, 2-pounds-per-week phase is over. As long as my weight and measurements are going down, though, I feel that I'm making progress. So I'm not going to make any adjustments to my routine, at this time. I'll wait to see what next month brings.

My measurements, as usual, fluctuated in strange ways. My right ankle is 1/4" larger than last month. Both of my thighs are also larger than last month. But my waist and hips are both smaller than last month's measurements.

I have stuck religiously to the plan and stayed on Induction since I started (less than 20 total carbs per day = 1 cup of veggies + 2 cups of salad veggies). I weigh and measure all of my food, and track my nutrition values on an app on my phone. On Sundays, only, I don't limit my cheese to less than 4 ounces. And I have allowed myself to have nuts and heavy cream on Sundays, since the second month. My birthday was October 2, and I allowed myself to have more than 4 ounces of cheese on that day.

This is only the second month that I've allowed myself some of the Induction foods that the book (DANDR) warned about as "potential stalls" (such as avocados, cream, and artificial sweetener). I haven't had these things every day. I've had cream and artificial sweetener 3-4 times per week. And I had 1/4 of an avocado on 3 occasions last month.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #501
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
Hiya! Today is my monthly weigh/measure day! Instead of the ~2 pounds per week I lost during the first four months, I lost 1.5 pounds over the past month:

Monthly Weight
11 May - 235 pounds
11 June - 225 pounds
11 July - 215 pounds
11 August - 206.5 pounds
11 September - 198 pounds
11 October (today) - 196.5 pounds

Measured Size Loss To Date
Ankles - Left -0.25", Right -0.25"
Calves - Left -1.25", Right -0.75"
Thighs - Left -1.25", Right -1.50"
Hips - -3.00"
Waist - -2.50"
Upper Arms - Left 0.00", Right 0.00"
Wrists - Left -0.25", Right -0.25"

Well, my fifth month was strange! I lost a lot FEWER pounds this month. So it looks like my steady, 2-pounds-per-week phase is over. As long as my weight and measurements are going down, though, I feel that I'm making progress. So I'm not going to make any adjustments to my routine, at this time. I'll wait to see what next month brings.

My measurements, as usual, fluctuated in strange ways. My right ankle is 1/4" larger than last month. Both of my thighs are also larger than last month. But my waist and hips are both smaller than last month's measurements.

I have stuck religiously to the plan and stayed on Induction since I started (less than 20 total carbs per day = 1 cup of veggies + 2 cups of salad veggies). I weigh and measure all of my food, and track my nutrition values on an app on my phone. On Sundays, only, I don't limit my cheese to less than 4 ounces. And I have allowed myself to have nuts and heavy cream on Sundays, since the second month. My birthday was October 2, and I allowed myself to have more than 4 ounces of cheese on that day.

This is only the second month that I've allowed myself some of the Induction foods that the book (DANDR) warned about as "potential stalls" (such as avocados, cream, and artificial sweetener). I haven't had these things every day. I've had cream and artificial sweetener 3-4 times per week. And I had 1/4 of an avocado on 3 occasions last month.
You are amazing, I'll bet you feel so much better, too! Congrats on how far you have come and keep up the great work! Yes, at least you are losing!!!! Personally I would weigh more often to know when to tweak some things but maybe this works for you.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #502
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
You are amazing, I'll bet you feel so much better, too! Congrats on how far you have come and keep up the great work! Yes, at least you are losing!!!! Personally I would weigh more often to know when to tweak some things but maybe this works for you.
Thanks, Tilly! Honestly, you must be a secret NFL cheerleader because your enthusiasm is infectious! HaHa!

I do feel much better! I can run after buses and jog across the street and walk 2 miles to the market and not be out of breath. I couldn't do any of these things before I started this program. I was just SO TIRED all of the time. But now I feel really great! Which is the real reason I'm doing Atkins. In my opinion, I *looked* fine at my highest weight. But I knew that 100 pounds of excess fat would eventually make me sick. I used to volunteer in a nursing home, so I've seen the devastating chronic diseases that are caused by obesity -- diabetes, cardiovascular disease, strokes, debilitating arthritis. I don't want to live like that.

I have an agreement with my trainer to only weigh and measure once per month. He made that decision for me, but I think it works well for me because I'm genuinely enjoying what I'm doing. I find my meals very satisfying and enjoyable. I was eating Taco Bell and Domino's DAILY before I started Atkins, and I feel like the food I eat now tastes better than the fast food I ate before. I give 100% to each workout, 5 days per week, and I have a really good time doing it because my trainer is a really good friend of mine and I love that I can now *share* this exercise time with him. So I don't feel like it's a sacrifice. In fact, I'm still feeling energized and a bit *high* from this morning's workout!

I believe I could probably speed up the pound loss if I *tweaked* and cut back calories -- my daily calorie intake is usually 100-400 calories more than the nutritional calculator says I would need to eat to lose 2 pounds per week. So I guess I'm at the point now where I can't get away with those *extra* calories and lose at the same pace. But right now, I'm only eating when I'm genuinely *hungry*, and I'm only eating until I'm *satisfied* -- I'm actually a bit amazed that I am truly fulfilled by portions that are a fraction of the size I was eating before. So, for now, I'll keep eating this amount of food even if it means my pound loss will be even slower. If I had gained pounds, I would cut back now. But I lost 1/2" from my waist last month, and 1/2" from my hips. And I've lived with bodybuilders for most of my life -- both of my brothers are competitive bodybuilders -- so I have the weird perspective of considering even 1 pound of fat loss to be a solid accomplishment.

I worked hard for this 1.5 pounds! And I'm going to keep working hard no matter how long it takes me to reach my goal!
Old 10-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #503
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Amen to you, Trillex!!! I am soooo jealous that you have a personal trainer. I have had one 3 separate times. LOVED IT! Would have one all the time but for the expense, so I do classes. Boy, I remember they put me through the paces but specific for ME. I was exhausted at the end but it felt so good. So enjoy and keep up the great work at the gym and with the food.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #504
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
4oz pot roast, 1/2c jicama, 5 black olives

1 hard boiled egg, 1/2c jicama, 5 black olives, 3 pieces bacon

1/2c spinach, 2T mayo, 1oz pork rinds

1/2c diced tomatoes, 1c mushrooms, 1T EVOO

3oz cheddar cheese

Cals: 1488 Fat: 118.0 Carbs: 26.9 (not net carbs) Protein: 79.7 This is according to ******.
When you go to ******, check your percentages as well. You really need to keep the percentages in balance. Carbs should be 5%, Fat around 60%, and Proteins around 35%. The total numbers are good, but the percentage will help you control it and make sure you are on task.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:37 PM   #505
Senior LCF Member

Keep up the good work Trillex. I have continued to lose weight. I haven't measured anything lately because the scale is going in the right direction so I am not worried about it. I have eaten avocados, tomatoes and heavy cream since day one. None of those seem to bother me.

What totally screwed me up this week was a flavored carbonated water drink. I bought it thinking that it was just water with a little peach flavoring in it. Well it was really sweet tasting. I don't know what sweetener they put into it but it had zero carbs and calories. Anyway, it has caused me to have low blood sugar, something I have almost entirely eliminated since I have been on Atkins. I have also been really hungry since. I won't make that mistake again. But I have overeaten because of it, even though I haven't gone off plan.

This is a learning process. I think each of us are different. You just need to work the plan and be observant of changes and if you gain weight, figure out what foods don't like you and eliminate them from your diet. The trick is not changing your diet too much eat week so you can figure it out when things negatively effect you.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #506
Senior LCF Member

Well I bought two new belts yesterday. They were two sizes smaller than the last belt I bought so I am happy with that. It is time to buy new clothes again. So I am off to the thrift store. I had some pictures taken over the weekend and I really noticed how big my clothes looked. Which is cool because I usually only notice how big I look. LOL.

I introduced nuts back into my diet. Just eating 10 a day, but it is a nice addition. So far I still seem to be losing. Still have a long way to go but almost half way so that is good.

I hope some of the others who started in this thread are still hanging in there besides just me and Trillex. This program works if you stick to it.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #507
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
Well I bought two new belts yesterday. They were two sizes smaller than the last belt I bought so I am happy with that. It is time to buy new clothes again. So I am off to the thrift store. I had some pictures taken over the weekend and I really noticed how big my clothes looked. Which is cool because I usually only notice how big I look. LOL.

I introduced nuts back into my diet. Just eating 10 a day, but it is a nice addition. So far I still seem to be losing. Still have a long way to go but almost half way so that is good.

I hope some of the others who started in this thread are still hanging in there besides just me and Trillex. This program works if you stick to it.
Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #508
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Well, I'm back after almost a year and am now wondering why I got away from Atkins in the first place! I didn't gain the weight back (at least not until recently, but not all of it). I missed my bread too much and switched to JUDDD the beginning of last December. That quickly entered a downward spiral, and I found myself unable to consume more than 500 calories a day from December-June. 7 months of the same meals every day-- 1/2 cup of oatmeal for breakfast, sugar free jello and hummus with veggies for lunch, and a can of soup for dinner.

Talk about disordered! I lost the weight (slowwwly due to a wrecked metabolism) and got down to 107.8 in the beginning of June. I had lost my period a few months prior and since being back in school full-time, I very clearly needed more energy. I upped my calories to 1200 a day, but BAM! Cue the ice cream/granola/bread/nut butter binging and resulting restriction since then. Needless to say, I'm back up to 125. Wouldn't be too unhappy about it if it wasn't all fat, but hey, what are you gonna do?

Answer: Get back on Atkins. Where I can eat eggs. Damn, I love eggs.

Happy to be back, and fully confident I can repair my relationship with food through this way of eating :-)
Old 10-20-2012, 02:35 AM   #509
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Well, I'm back after almost a year and am now wondering why I got away from Atkins in the first place! I didn't gain the weight back (at least not until recently, but not all of it). I missed my bread too much and switched to JUDDD the beginning of last December. That quickly entered a downward spiral, and I found myself unable to consume more than 500 calories a day from December-June. 7 months of the same meals every day-- 1/2 cup of oatmeal for breakfast, sugar free jello and hummus with veggies for lunch, and a can of soup for dinner.

Talk about disordered! I lost the weight (slowwwly due to a wrecked metabolism) and got down to 107.8 in the beginning of June. I had lost my period a few months prior and since being back in school full-time, I very clearly needed more energy. I upped my calories to 1200 a day, but BAM! Cue the ice cream/granola/bread/nut butter binging and resulting restriction since then. Needless to say, I'm back up to 125. Wouldn't be too unhappy about it if it wasn't all fat, but hey, what are you gonna do?

Answer: Get back on Atkins. Where I can eat eggs. Damn, I love eggs.

Happy to be back, and fully confident I can repair my relationship with food through this way of eating :-)
back!!!!!!!!!! Wow, no kidding no energy. I tried JUDDD but got so grouchy on those down days. I too have gained, depending on the day, 8 - 10 pounds. Lost your period? Now that tells you something has to change, not good for your body. Yes, those eggs sure are good. Hope you will pop in here and let us know how you are doing. I need to kick butt and get back on strictly induction but again, I get grouchy and see all those goodies others are eating. One thing I don't mind is eating the same thing day after day especially if I am losing. Good luck and welcome back to being healthy!
Old 10-20-2012, 02:53 AM   #510
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post

You're a ROLE MODEL, Big Stevie! Congratulations!

Are you eating nuts as a snack? Or are you putting them in salads, or with other foods? Just wondering because I'm considering adding some nuts and/or sunflower seeds next month.
Closed Thread