Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 09:32 AM   #421
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jennicole09
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6/28/2012
I havent checked in in some time, although I lurk all the time. I too find the personal side of it very inspiring and educational. I thought I would update on my stats today. As of this morning Im down 16lbs...yay me. I did go off plan while on vacation last week, but with all the walking we did while in disney world I still managed to lose 2 lbs. Since being back home Im right back on track. I just wish it was a little cooler so I could get more walking in.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #422
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Klynne, good for you for not going off plan despite a crappy day! Those days can be a real test.

Well my scale finally moved, down to 215. I think adding some psyllium husks (pill form) helped things a little bit, but am still looking for my fiber in my diet.

and congrats Laurel and Jenni on your losses!
Old 08-25-2012, 01:08 PM   #423
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sails92
Stats: 319/309/175
WOE: Low Carb / Exercise (-10)
Start Date: 06/01/14
WOW, it's been a week and a day since I last posted on here.....I truly miss you all, and want to say CONGRATULATIONS to your success .....It's been a busy week with starting graduate school and being in what is going to be a VERY demanding program (clinical social work), but I'm up for the challenge.....Also, this week I have experienced a very traumatic and scare which I had to get medical attention and as a result must stop the Adkins/Low Carb lifestyle .....Well as some of you may have read from my previous posts, I was a VERY slow loser while on this new lifestyle and suffered severe headaches, but I was really satisfied because I was losing at a "normal" rate at 1-2lbs a week, which is really good so I am NOT complaining (though there were days that I just wanted to throw in the towel - LOL)....I hit a road block this week when I was not feeling well and had to go to the doctor and discovered that my blood pressure was higher than normal at 152/92 and remained high for several days.....I am on blood pressure medicine and also have been experiencing irregular bleeding....Well, my doctor has now put me on a different eating plan which is called the DASH diet....It's suppose to help people like me who are obese and have hypertension....I'm starting this new plan and hope that it will help me become a healthier person.....It is far different from the plans supported on the LC support group website and so I will not post but will continue to check in from time to time.....I wish you all the best as you continue on your journeys....Many Blessings, Marilyn
Old 08-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #424
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
Wow this fantastic. Most of us are about 30 days in and we are losing. Glad to be part of the group.

Best of luck sails92. Check back in with us. I hope the DASH works well for you. Good luck on the Social Work Program. That is a very needed profession. I worked with lots of social workers when I was a foster parent. Tough job.

I got stuck serving deserts to about 30 people today at an Adoption party. Lots of cake and ice cream went through my hands but none crossed my lips.

Last edited by Big Stevie; 08-25-2012 at 09:52 PM..
Old 08-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #425
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kristall
Stats: 286/258/145
Start Date: 06/10/12
Ok friends, I think I need a little support tonight. Last week was my "hell week" at work. All week long I felt the desire to start up some emotional eating but resisted. This weekend however, I totally blew it. It was carbs and dessert galore! It started by telling myself I deserved to indulge just once on Friday night. It turned into a weekend carb binge. I am feeling out of control and my old habits came slamming back. I was doing so well and now I just feel really discouraged, like I won't be able to get on track. Ugh!
Old 08-27-2012, 07:59 AM   #426
Major LCF Poster!

Kristall, it's a new day and a new week, which is the perfect time to get right back on track. Slip-ups happen. It's when we make them the normal way of life that we run into a problem. My recommendation to you would be to make a meal plan for the week. Breakfast, lunch and dinner, and snacks if you eat them. It always helps me to see it written down, because my biggest problem is when I'm hungry and get home from work and don't know what I'm going to eat.

You've already done so well so far, losing almost 20 pounds! Try and remember what it was like to be at your highest weight. Now try to visualize what you'll feel like when you lose another twenty pounds and how great that will be. I hope you have a better day today!
Old 08-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #427
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Deedee, you made me smile. I appreciate your help.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:26 AM   #428
Major LCF Poster!

I'm glad Kristall. I hope you got back on the wagon!
Old 08-28-2012, 09:02 AM   #429
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cheeeesecake
Stats: 218/174.25/154
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: Re-start 18 November 2013
First time posting on here, so hello!!

I started out 3 weeks ago, and as of this morning lost 15lbs! This is the first time I've stuck to a diet plan and I feel so positive about it. I feel great knowing that I've done it all on my own!!!
Old 08-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #430
Senior LCF Member

Welcome MS. Cheeeesecake. You are off to a quick start. That is great. Keep with it.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #431
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
My trainer has me reading The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance -- it's about how a low carb / ketogenic diet can support athletic performance. I read the chapter about fats and want to share something that I found interesting...

A little while ago, Big Stevie had an upset stomach -- I'm not sure if it was a bug or what caused his tummy upset -- but I had been having some stomach issues wherein I felt *greasy* by the end of the day. I didn't feel sick, but my stomach felt uncomfortably like a big bag of grease by the time I went to bed. I assumed that this feeling was just a natural result of my Atkins induction diet being 65-75% fat each day.

But this book cites a study of long-distance cyclists who were sequestered and put on a very low carb (~1%) / very high fat (~80%) diet (with a stable protein level that equalled 1.5g / kg of lean body mass) and they found that ALL (not just some) of the study participants had queasiness or a general feeling of discomfort when they ate foods that contained a substantial percentage of polyunsaturated fats (like soybean oil, corn oil, peanut oil). When they removed the foods that had a high concentration of polyunsaturated oils (like soybean-based mayonnaise) the study participants stopped having this uncomfortable feeling, which the book describes as "they just said that they didn't feel completely well after eating them."

The program directors initially switched the brand of mayonnaise, but they study participants still had this feeling. So the program directors removed the foods that had high ratios of polyunsaturated fats and replaced them with foods high in saturated and/or monounsaturated fat, after which the participants stopped having this feeling of discomfort.

I had been eating a lot of full-fat, soybean oil-based mayonnaise -- chicken salad with mayo, salmon salad with mayo, steak with a blue cheese & mayo sauce, grilled catfish with spicy chipotle mayo, etc. So last week, I cut the mayo and made some olive oil based dressings (monounsaturated fat) and butter based sauces (saturated fat) to use instead, and I no longer have that *greasy* feeling. My fat ratio and calories are still in the same range, but I no longer feel greasy.

Just FYI, in case someone some of you other newbies also had this *greasy* feeling.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #432
Major LCF Poster!

Good luck, Marilyn! Take care of yourself! I'm so glad your doctor identified your problem and is treating it. Please let us know how it goes!
Old 08-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #433
Major LCF Poster!

Hey, Betty! I hope you're hanging in there, with the kids going back to school!

Let us know when you start hitting the gym hard again, I'd like to hear how it goes. I would think (hope!) you will see better results on the scale / measuring tape once you get your workouts in gear.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:33 PM   #434
Senior LCF Member

Thanks the the thoughts Trillex. I don't know what upset my stomach. I think it might have been some cauliflower. Anyway, back to feeling better. Those one minute muffins helped the situation along with some raw ginger.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #435
Junior LCF Member

Back on the wagon!
Old 08-29-2012, 09:45 AM   #436
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Laurel
Stats: 188/168/135
Start Date: 7/2012
Yesterday I had a planned cheat day, my first cheat after 4+ weeks of doing induction. It was our anniversary so hubby took me to our favorite restaurant. I had a trio of infused vodkas (one of them was sweetened), and a roast duck breast, duck fat roasted potatoes & roast bok choy entree. Funny thing is, in the past I have been a potato junkie, but I was much more interested in the bok choy and duck! Dessert was a whole different story, I had a chocolate torte with creme fraiche and caramel. That was REALLY what I was craving. It felt good not to "want" the potatoes though. No sick feeling afterwards, but I did feel immensely tired after eating and still feel a little fuzzy this morning. Back to induction, and hopefully I start seeing ketones by later tonight.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #437
Senior LCF Member

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Anniversary's are special. One night of that isn't gonna hurt you, and it was worth it. Today is a new day. I am sure you will be back to seeing Ketones shortly.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #438
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Anniversary's are special. One night of that isn't gonna hurt you, and it was worth it. Today is a new day. I am sure you will be back to seeing Ketones shortly.
Ugh. Back to seeing ketones, but I'm up 2.5lbs. Logic would say it's not all from dinner, but it still kinda bugs me. Hopefully things calm down and this weight drops back off!
Old 08-30-2012, 12:10 PM   #439
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
Ugh. Back to seeing ketones, but I'm up 2.5lbs. Logic would say it's not all from dinner, but it still kinda bugs me. Hopefully things calm down and this weight drops back off!
Not a big deal. I am sure it is just a temporary thing. You will be back down in a day or two. I am sure we all fluctuate 4 or 5 pounds a day. Remember the water we drink alone weights about 6-8 pounds a day.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #440
Major LCF Poster!

Yup! I know that fat gains and losses are complicated by hormone but if you didn't eat 8,750 EXTRA calories, even if you did eat some carbs, you haven't re-gained 2.5 pounds of fat. It's still a pain to see it on the scale, though. Amirite?!

Somebody posted this video about scale readings while back and I bookmarked it:

The scale is a tricky tool!
Old 08-31-2012, 09:46 AM   #441
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
Not a big deal. I am sure it is just a temporary thing. You will be back down in a day or two. I am sure we all fluctuate 4 or 5 pounds a day. Remember the water we drink alone weights about 6-8 pounds a day.
Just fell back off. I'm down a net 1.8lbs from last friday. Fwew. I hate the fluctuations, but I've learned not to stress out about them too much and I'm finally starting to "get" when and how the fluctuations are going to come.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:21 AM   #442
Senior LCF Member

Trillex thanks for sharing that video. It is eye opening.

I just got a new scale. I don't believe my old one (one of those ones with the dial) was working very well. So from now on a can take accurate measurements and I can really know where I am going. My cloths feel bigger this week. In fact, I am down another notch on my belt but my old scale wasn't reflecting it. I bought one of the EatSmart Plus scales with the wide platform. The reviews were very good on it so let's hope it works well.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #443
Senior LCF Member

Wow it looks like this thread lost some steam. Were is everyone at? Is everyone feeling comfortable in this WOE at this point?

I was really busy this week. I was doing hard physical labor almost all week and my body is very sore. For whatever reason, I didn't loose any weight this week. I just checked the scale and I am the same as last week. I am really surprised because I think I ate right all week. I was expecting a big drop but didn't get it. Oh well, I will stay on track anyway. I will go back to fit day and analyze what is going on a little closer. I have gotten away from it because my weight loss has been real consistent.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #444
Major LCF Poster!

Hiya, everybody!

I'm still hanging in there! I only weigh once-per-month so I have no developments to report...

I'll weigh in on Tuesday and find out what happened this month.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #445
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
Hiya, everybody!

I'm still hanging in there! I only weigh once-per-month so I have no developments to report...

I'll weigh in on Tuesday and find out what happened this month.
Looking forward to seeing a big number from you Tillex.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #446
Major LCF Poster!

I'll do my best to make you proud, Big Stevie! HaHa!
Old 09-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #447
Major LCF Poster!

Monthly Progress

It looks like all of the Induction Babies (except me and Big Stevie) have flown from the nest... But today is my monthly weigh/measure day, and here are the results:

Monthly Weight
11 May - 235 pounds
11 June - 225 pounds
11 July - 215 pounds
11 August - 206.5 pounds
11 September (today) - 198 pounds

Measured Size Loss To Date
Ankles - Left -0.25", Right -0.50"
Calves - Left -1.00", Right -0.50"
Thighs - Left -1.75", Right -2.00"
Hips - -2.50"
Waist - -2.00"
Upper Arms - Left +1.00", Right +0.50" (I don't know what's going on here. The upper arms have fluctuated up and down every month. There doesn't seem to be a pattern.)
Wrists - Left -0.00", Right -0.25"

My pound loss has been very steady -- almost freakishly steady from month to month -- but my measurements have fluctuated quite a bit. Both thighs gained inches the first month I measured, then dropped dramatically the next month. My waist measurement went up last month but dropped, again, this month. My upper arms have fluctuated up and down, from month to month, with no apparent pattern.

I have stuck to the plan and stayed on Induction since I started (less than 20 total carbs per day = 1 cup of veggies + 2 cups of salad veggies). I weigh and measure all of my food, and track my nutrition values on an app on my phone. On Sundays, only, I don't limit my cheese to less than 4 ounces. And I have allowed myself to have nuts and heavy cream on Sundays, since the second month.

Last month, I started counting net carbs, instead of total carbs, and have kept net carbs under 20 grams per day (and I had some higher-carb/non-starchy veggies, like bell peppers and onions and tomatoes, which I had previously avoided). Also, last month, I have allowed myself heavy cream any day of the week I would like it and I started using liquid sucralose. So I had hot, sweet tea with heavy cream a few days per week and I made quiche a few times. During the first three months, I only drank water and only allowed myself to have artificial sweetener on Sundays.

I'm staying on Induction, but I'm allowing myself some of the Induction foods that the book (DANDR) warned about as "potential stalls" (such as avocados, cream, and artificial sweetener) to see if these things affect my progress.

That's about the size of it! Literally...
Old 09-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #448
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Hi Guys!! I am brand new here and just starting out. As a matter of fact, I plan to actually start low-carbing tomorrow. I know it's the middle of the week, but why put it off? I read Gary Taubes, "Why We Get Fat" this week, and have also, of course, read Atkins...made halfhearted attempts in the past, but now I am convinced about the *science* behind low-carb eating and ready to get on the band wagon!

I am not following a particular plan, although I guess "induction" is a term coined by Atkins, isn't it? Do you all advocate 20 carbs or less per day to start (two weeks)?

Hope to get to know you all!

LG
Old 09-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #449
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
Yup! I know that fat gains and losses are complicated by hormone but if you didn't eat 8,750 EXTRA calories, even if you did eat some carbs, you haven't re-gained 2.5 pounds of fat. It's still a pain to see it on the scale, though. Amirite?!

Somebody posted this video about scale readings while back and I bookmarked it:

How To Weigh Yourself Accurately - part 1 of 2 - YouTube

The scale is a tricky tool!
Ugh, lol. Talk about self-absorbed...maybe he proved something, I don't know. Haha! I had to quit watching.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #450
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
subbing
Closed Thread