Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 08:20 AM   #391
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Hey y'all. I'm starting induction again today, and feeling really inspired. Hope it lasts.

I've been low-carb (in various forms) for the past year, but after my cholesterol started to raise, my endo suggested I cut the fat. Because I'm a carb-addict, as soon as I started adding significant amounts of carbs back into my diet, it all went to hell and I'd end up eating junk food regularly. I'd initially lost about 50 pounds, and gained back about ten. Which is why I'm back here at Induction.

Question for anyone here--how long do you plan to stay in the Induction phase before going on to OWL? I know 2 weeks is the minimum and many people stay much longer.

My Induction Day 1 menu:

Breakfast: coffee with half n half, three sausage links
Lunch: Baked Pesto chicken with mozzarella, chopped salad with lemon juice and olive oil dressing
Snack: Salami and fontina cheese
Dinner: Rib Eye Steak
Snack: Polly-O String Cheese

Seeing it all written out is a little scary! I know this diet works, but it's so easy to fall into the "that's too much fat!" trap. I had a coworker give me that lecture just this morning.

Last edited by deedee; 08-20-2012 at 08:23 AM..

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #392
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Klynne
Stats: 261/257.8/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7/20/2012
deedee

It's not too much fat! This WOE is almost a reversal of what we have been taught to eat, but I have seen studies that show, especially in the first two weeks, that adding that bit of extra fat can actually help smooth the path for getting into ketosis!

As for the question about how long it will be before I transition to OWL...the truth is I have no idea. I have a LOT to lose (about 125 lbs ) so I am roughly estimating when I hit about 75% of my total. But who knows, I might feel differently when I get closer to that number.

The best of luck to you in your journey, and I look forward to chatting with you on the boards!
Kerensa
Old 08-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #393
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
Welcome Deedee. I plan on being on Induction for at least 4 months, maybe more. Now that I one month in, I will have allow myself days with a few more carbs, as long as the carbs come from good sources such as nuts and vegetables. It just won't be anything I do on a daily basis because I still need to drop 70 pounds.

You know this program works, now make it work for you. You are on the right course.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:37 AM   #394
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Neezie
Stats: 238.2/getting smaller!/130
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: July 2012
Happy Monday.

I am super happy today because I went clothes shopping on Saturday(which I usually despise) and I was down a size in clothes and could tell by looking in those usually dreadful three way mirrors that I am getting smaller! Whooohooo. My body just doesn't like sugar. I have PMS right now, as well, and usually I get really puffy this TOM, but without the carbs, it's not really noticeable.

I am so so happy with my hypnosis audios, too, because one of her visualizations is actually trying on clothes at your ideal size.

Hubby and I also went to this amazing restaurant where they made a club sandwich on lettuce that was so good dipped in ranch.

Betty Maybe try the fat fast! I was reading on some other boards that many people got unstuck doing it.

Deedee I am staying on induction for a LONG time as I have hypoglycemia and carbs and I don't really get along. I feel healthier than I have in years (after the two week induction flu from hell) and my body just doesn't need a lot of carbs. If I go up in carbs, it will all be in veggies. (I am trying to quit peanuts, which aren't induction friendly).

Laurel-Thanks for the ideas on the meals. My hubby loves caesars. I don't really, but he ordered one last night and I had a couple of bites, which was good. As far as your public outings, I wonder if it is ever appropriate to ask someone if you can bring your own dishes? That's what I would do.

Kerensa- Hey, my chihuahuah weighs 8 pounds and she gets heavy carrying around everywhere, so I see that as a real accomplishment. Congrats!

Have a great week everyone!

Last edited by Neezie; 08-20-2012 at 11:42 AM..
Old 08-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #395
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the welcome and reassurance everyone!
Old 08-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #396
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 5kids
Stats: sw 184 8/13 cw 169 4/14
Start Date: 8/08/12 and again 08/08/13
Today is my 13th day and down total of 9 lbs. I hadn't lost anything in 3 days but this morning down 1 more lb. Tomorrow I complete my 2 weeks on induction but I think I'll be staying in induction phase for a little while longer. .. I'm so glad found this site. This is nice to be able to read what others are doing and help me get information I need to stick with this...

Thanks everyone
Old 08-20-2012, 10:26 PM   #397
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Hey, Betty!

You mentioned thyroid problems in an earlier post. So, I hate to say it, but maybe what has worked for you in the past -- low carb + low cal -- won't continue to work without some sort of thyroid support. If you're already on thyroid medication, perhaps your doctor needs to change that prescription to something different.

You log your food, so you have an accurate measure of what you're taking in. You have been consistently low carb + low cal. Maybe the fact that you aren't seeing changes means it's time to talk to your doctor about more effective thyroid support.

Or... Maybe you just need more time to see results. Maybe a fat fast will be a more effective approach. But a month of consistent low carb + low cal with no change in weight or measurements may be a sign that some other factor is at work... Just my observation!
Old 08-20-2012, 10:52 PM   #398
Major LCF Poster!

re: the texture of food

One Sunday, I tried these one minute muffins that are made of flax. Everyone seems to like them so I gave them a try. The roll was very breadlike, yes, but the texture was too *sandy* for me. So, I couldn't do that. I'm just too weird about texture...

I tried the Oopsie Rolls, though, and I like that texture! Plus, the Oopsie Roll ingredients are absolutely induction-level: eggs + cream cheese. I added a few drops of butter flavoring, so they don't taste *eggy*.

I added oregano (along with the butter flavor) to a batch and didn't meringue the egg whites, so the batter was more dense and creamy, then I spread the batter in a quarter-sheet pan and baked it until golden. It made a lovely pizza crust! I made some "blender marinara" -- fresh tomato, basil, garlic & olive oil in the blender -- spread that on the crust, put some shrimp and mozzarella on top. Put it in the oven to melt the cheese -- it was very nice!

Just FYI... Cheers!
Old 08-21-2012, 04:37 AM   #399
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
I haven't been low carb/cal for a month..just low carb

I'm definitely bringing this up with my Dr though..not to be rude, but she herself is hypo and overweight. It's hard to accept diet advice from someone who should be trying to get healthier as well.

I'll still ask! Specifically about the combo of meds I'm on.

I know peeps are recommending the fat fast but I don't know.

This isn't supposed to be so damn hard, lol. I wish it wasn't.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:09 AM   #400
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone!

I'm only on Day 2 here, but I'm either getting sick or I'm having some serious Induction flu. It's surprising because I never had that before doing Atkins, but I've also never tracked my meals in the same way. Online trackers are really enlightening, I had no idea exactly how much protein I was eating. Anyway, feeling lightheaded and overall just icky, but hoping it passes soon. No change on the scale, but I wasn't expecting one yet (I'm just a scale addict).

Betty, have you tried the JUDD diet? I was reading the thread on this site about it and it seemed interesting. A lot of people who stalled on pure Atkins have had real success with it.

Todays meal:
B--5 slices thin-sliced bacon, teaspoon of coconut oil in coffee with half n half
L--tuna with mayo on celery slices
D--4 oz rib eye steak, side salad
S--polly-o string cheese, maybe some salami
Old 08-21-2012, 09:07 AM   #401
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Laurel
Stats: 188/168/135
Start Date: 7/2012
Fuuuu... Finally! My TOM came over the weekend and WOOSH! I now finally feel like I'm losing at an acceptable rate (though any rate of loss is good, really). Down 9.9lbs in 3.5 weeks and just this morning put on some slacks that I haven't fit into in nearly 2 years! They're a hair tight, but it's impetus to keep going.

I'm pretty sure it's not related to adding coconut oil as a cooking fat a few days ago, but I figured it's worth a mention.

Last edited by Laurel; 08-21-2012 at 09:19 AM..
Old 08-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #402
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
Fuuuu... Finally! My TOM came over the weekend and WOOSH! I now finally feel like I'm losing at an acceptable rate (though any rate of loss is good, really). Down 9.9lbs in 3.5 weeks and just this morning put on some slacks that I haven't fit into in nearly 2 years! They're a hair tight, but it's impetus to keep going.

I'm pretty sure it's not related to adding coconut oil as a cooking fat a few days ago, but I figured it's worth a mention.
That's awesome!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee View Post
Good morning everyone!

I'm only on Day 2 here, but I'm either getting sick or I'm having some serious Induction flu. It's surprising because I never had that before doing Atkins, but I've also never tracked my meals in the same way. Online trackers are really enlightening, I had no idea exactly how much protein I was eating. Anyway, feeling lightheaded and overall just icky, but hoping it passes soon. No change on the scale, but I wasn't expecting one yet (I'm just a scale addict).

Betty, have you tried the JUDD diet? I was reading the thread on this site about it and it seemed interesting. A lot of people who stalled on pure Atkins have had real success with it.

Todays meal:
B--5 slices thin-sliced bacon, teaspoon of coconut oil in coffee with half n half
L--tuna with mayo on celery slices
D--4 oz rib eye steak, side salad
S--polly-o string cheese, maybe some salami
sorry your not feeling well.
I've done JUDDD for weeks last fall. Didn't lose an oz, lol.

I think I just have to do low cals
..I know thats 'bad' but it's not forever and it gets the job done. I don't do it long enough to cause adverse problems.
I've managed to maintain my 35lb loss from 3 yrs ago. I dropped that weight with low cals. Just the nature of the beast, I spose.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #403
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Neezie
Stats: 238.2/getting smaller!/130
Start Date: July 2012
Hi Guys,
I think I am going to be taking a break from this thread. For some reason, I feel invisible here and I started the thread to give and get support. I am glad I started it though, as it seems helpful to many. Good luck with your weight loss!
Old 08-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #404
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezie View Post
Hi Guys,
For some reason, I feel invisible here

Don't leave us Neezie. You aren't invisible. We all started at the same time and are all on this journey together. You certainly aren't invisible in my mind. We need each other. Stick around and share with us. After all, you started the sharing.

Deedee the induction flu passes fairly quickly. Stay on course. You body and mind are just pissed because they want sugar. You are saying back, use my fat.

I have had a Miracle today. It is now 12:37 in the middle of the day and I have been up for more than 6 hours and I have yet to eat anything today. I simply forgot to eat. We had kids on a sleep over and I made them a bunch of sugar stuff for breakfast for them but forgot about myself. I have gotten fat due to hypoglycemia. I don't think in the last 20 years I have made it to this late in the day without having to eat. And the crazy thing is that my brain still feels good. But my stomach is starting to growl.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #405
Senior LCF Member

I cooked a really big pot roast about a week ago. I had it for diner that night and have been eating it since. I have fried it with eggs for breakfast, I have fried it and put it in a salad with guacamole for taco salad. I sauteed it with tomatoes, garlic and basil for another diner. I have heated it up for a little snack. I am amazed at how many things I was able to do with it and keep it fresh enough that I am still enjoying it a week later. It is nice to have some cooked meet that is easy to heat and use. Try it, you will like it.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #406
Senior LCF Member

Don't leave Neezie I'm here for you

Last edited by 5kids; 08-21-2012 at 01:26 PM..
Old 08-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #407
Senior LCF Member

Laurel congratulations on your weight loss. Keep up they good work
Old 08-21-2012, 03:10 PM   #408
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kids View Post
Laurel congratulations on your weight loss. Keep up they good work
I'm so relieved that it's finally coming off! And wearing my "normal" slacks!!!! I weighed myself this morning and thought "OMG, I bet I could fit into those pants!!!!" So I went to the closet, lo and behold, they buttoned right up! It was like christmas. I can hardly wait to see Mr. Laurel tonight and show him!
Old 08-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #409
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
"OMG, I bet I could fit into those pants!!!!" So I went to the closet, lo and behold, they buttoned right up!
Forget the scale, the pants don't lie. Good for you. It feels nice doesn't it. Now get rid of those big pants and get some more small ones.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #410
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
Forget the scale, the pants don't lie. Good for you. It feels nice doesn't it. Now get rid of those big pants and get some more small ones.

Big pants are getting packed away in the garage in a hard to reach location (it will be a climb of shame should I decide that I need my "fat pants" again). I have several pairs of successively small pairs of pants to walk me through this journey, those are going to be my goals, and my $100 pair of Guess jeans that I "outgrew." That's the holy grail!
Old 08-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #411
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Big pants are getting packed away should I decide that I need my "fat pants" again)
You will never need them again! None of us are never going up again. And even if you did one day they will be out of style, give them to the Good Will or your other favorite charity shop.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:14 AM   #412
Junior LCF Member

Don't leave Neezie. You don't need to feel invisible. In fact, I always look forward to reading your imput, and we can be friends . Time after time studies have shown that the best way to get healthier is with support, and we are walking with you through this! None of us want you to feel that way.
Kerensa
Old 08-22-2012, 11:00 AM   #413
Major LCF Poster!

Hey, Neezie!

Aw, I hope you don't leave -- or if you do, I hope you'll come back soon!

I started lurking on the forum because I was looking for information and inspiration. But now, especially in this thread, I follow you guys just because you're SUPER nice people and I genuinely care what happens to you. I don't comment very often on your posts because I'm the kind of person that doesn't typically have a lot to say. But I read your updates and I cheer for you and hope for you and celebrate with you. You're really, genuinely nice people and it makes my day better to see you succeed.

You don't *owe* it to me to share your life here, but what you choose to share makes my world a better place. Thank you so much for all that you give.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #414
Senior LCF Member

I am having a bad day today. My stomach is really upset. I don't know if I ate something bad or what. But I would normally eat some bananas and drink milk to settle my stomach down. Too many carbs in both those things. Trying to come up with some alternative before I resort to that. I am going to finally try those 1 minute muffins. Maybe that will work. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:41 AM   #415
Major LCF Poster!

Hello, Big Stevie - Ginger tea or fresh ginger will settle your tummy, without hitting you with a load of carbs.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #416
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
Hello, Big Stevie - Ginger tea or fresh ginger will settle your tummy, without hitting you with a load of carbs.
Thanks Tillex. I have fresh ginger in the house and I didn't even think of it. I will eat some. Little bit better today, but still not back to 100%.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:44 AM   #417
Junior LCF Member

Good morning all!

I just wanted to drop in and see how everyone was doing. I had a really bad day yesterday, like the worst I have had in a while, but I did not go off eating plan, which makes me proud. I had TOM show up, which is frustrating enough, but then when the cramps came along with a MASSIVE sinus headache, I literally laid on the couch and watched Grey's Anatomy until I had to go to work. What was bad was I took two Advil, and after an hour they just barely took the edge off. Then work was hell. But that is a story for a different day. I am just glad I didn't feel well enough to eat anything off track.

Big Stevie - I hope you get to feeling better soon. Maybe some chicken broth would take the edge off too. Be careful though, it does have a lot of sodium.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #418
Senior LCF Member

Stomach is feeling better. Thanks. I haven't planned my meals this week since I have been sick. I need to get to the store today. Didn't get off plan but I had a couple of a
Atkins shakes. Those shakes give me a headache. I am not going to drink them anymore.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #419
Senior LCF Member

Well, down to 177.9! That's 10.5lbs in a month. My clothes fit better, and I feel much thinner. I somehow missed planning a meal for tonight so when I got home I found some chicken wings in the fridge, heated them up and had a few slices of bacon, as I was cooking off about 3lbs.

I have a huge yard work project planned for this weekend and will need to be feeding hubby and friends who are not low carbing. I got a big pork button and I plan to babysit it on the Weber while I work outside tomorrow. It should net some delicious sandwiches(or lettuce wraps) and with the low carb bbq sauce I'm making and some Cole slaw I'll throw together it should be a good choice for the weekends meals.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:19 AM   #420
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
Hey, Neezie!

Aw, I hope you don't leave -- or if you do, I hope you'll come back soon!

I started lurking on the forum because I was looking for information and inspiration. But now, especially in this thread, I follow you guys just because you're SUPER nice people and I genuinely care what happens to you. I don't comment very often on your posts because I'm the kind of person that doesn't typically have a lot to say. But I read your updates and I cheer for you and hope for you and celebrate with you. You're really, genuinely nice people and it makes my day better to see you succeed.

You don't *owe* it to me to share your life here, but what you choose to share makes my world a better place. Thank you so much for all that you give.
I feel the same!
Closed Thread