Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Induction (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/)
-   -   How long does it take to get into ketosis? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/776723-how-long-does-take-get-into-ketosis.html)

Untogether 06-29-2012 01:14 PM

How long does it take to get into ketosis?

Hi all-
I'm on day 4 and still not in ketosis, according to the test strips. How long did it take you to get into ketosis? I'm having on average 15 carbs/day and twice I've had an Atkins snack bar. I drink about a gallon of water every day, and have one diet soda at night.
Any suggestions?

Medic2038 06-29-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Untogether (Post 15763692)
Hi all-
I'm on day 4 and still not in ketosis, according to the test strips. How long did it take you to get into ketosis? I'm having on average 15 carbs/day and twice I've had an Atkins snack bar. I drink about a gallon of water every day, and have one diet soda at night.
Any suggestions?

It really depends on activity. When you're first starting, you won't be in ketosis until you deplete your body's glycogen. Some of it is kept in your liver, the majority is in your muscles.

If you're not doing too much physically, it can take up to about a week.

ravenrose 06-29-2012 04:35 PM

there is more information on this than there used to be. it turns out some people need longer than others. some take up to a couple of weeks to really get into ketosis. just be patient.

Fluffy 06-29-2012 04:49 PM

Hello Untogether. I am on day 5 of induction and I finally purchased the ketone strips today and if am definitely in ketosis!!!!!!! Dark Dark purple result. I am so excited.

Fluffy 06-29-2012 04:50 PM

Ok did not mean to say if...... I am definitely in ketosis!!!!!!!

LiterateGriffin 06-30-2012 02:22 AM

1. If you're having trouble getting into ketosis, EAT MORE FAT. This is key. The more fat you eat, the easier a time you'll have getting into ketosis.
  2. Try skipping the Atkins bar. These stall many people and/or cause them to drop out of ketosis. Others can handle them fine. Skipping it for a day or two and testing will help you determine if you're one of those folks, and thus should save them for emergencies. (It all has to do with how YOUR body process the sugar-alcohols they use to sweeten them. Some folks can't handle them at all, while others do great.)
  3. IF YOU ARE ABLE, try some exercise to help deplete your body's glycogen stores.
  4. Be patient. There's a reason Induction is 2 weeks, not 2 days. Some folks will hit ketosis within 48 hours. Others take a week or more. It depends on what's going on in YOUR body.

micheleredit 06-30-2012 07:39 AM

Random question. Where do you get ketone strips from??? DO you have to get them across the counter??

micheleredit 06-30-2012 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medic2038 (Post 15763886)
It really depends on activity. When you're first starting, you won't be in ketosis until you deplete your body's glycogen. Some of it is kept in your liver, the majority is in your muscles.

If you're not doing too much physically, it can take up to about a week.

Super helpful. THanks!!!!

Fluffy 06-30-2012 07:45 AM

I found my ketone strips at Wal mart where they have the diabetes test strips.

Medic2038 06-30-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fluffy (Post 15765162)
I found my ketone strips at Wal mart where they have the diabetes test strips.

My walmart stopped carrying them. So check out your local pharmacy type places (CVS, walgreens, whatever). If they're not with the diabetic stuff just ask, they might have them behind the counter.

LiterateGriffin 06-30-2012 12:15 PM

I find that, around here at least, the Grocery-store pharmacies do not have them, but the "genuine" drug stores all do, in the diabetic supplies. Check by the glucose meters, and if you can't find them, ask.

When I first did Atkins in 2003, "Low-carb" was all the rage, and the sticks cost around $30. Now, when the "fad" aspect is gone and only serious folks are doing this, I can buy a brand-name package for $7, or a generic double-package for $7. (One package is 50 strips.) If you're a REAL cheapskate, you can cut them in half, lengthwise, and get even more strips for your $7.

Phizz50677 07-01-2012 12:18 AM

Can you tell by urine color or only by using the strips?

Medic2038 07-01-2012 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phizz50677 (Post 15766724)
Can you tell by urine color or only by using the strips?

Urine color is usually more dependent on hydration. Generally the more yellow, the less hydration.

I try to drink a gallon of water per day. So for me the only time mine is really yellow is first thing in the morning. After that it's generally clear.

BABYSTEPS 07-01-2012 08:20 AM

I still use them but not as often as I did when I started.

Untogether 07-01-2012 08:25 AM

Thanks!! I'll try exercising some this week and see if it helps; and I'll cut out the snack bars.. :(

funbean 03-29-2013 07:28 PM

if you drink a lot of water, the ketones in your pee might just be very diluted.

eclark53 09-28-2014 10:18 AM

Ketone Strips

Quote:

Originally Posted by micheleredit (Post 15765143)
Random question. Where do you get ketone strips from??? DO you have to get them across the counter??

The cheapest Ketone Strips I have found have been at Walmart. About $6.50 for 50. I cut mine in half so that they last longer. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/im...smile_2011.GIF

Thanks,