Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Geesebaby
Stats: 314/275/150
WOE: Atkins induction, Gluten Free
Start Date: Jan. 9, 2014 Atkins
What do you eat when you've hit 20 grams of carbs...

But are still hungry??? Meat only? I was out of carbs the other night but was hungry...ended up getting fatty, salty, barn yard tasting pork rinds! Thought to myself how much better they were for me than a salad or some veggies. (NOT!) I usually have my grams spread out nicely, but there are some times when I run out and I'm hungry. So I guess I have no choice but to cook a hunk of meat??? Not real convenient at 9pm at night and I'm hungry...especially when I have PMS and my appetite is off the charts!
Geesebaby is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
I'd go with a coconut bark snack: Coconut oil, butter, and unsweetened cocoa mixed together and frozen (a little sweetener, too, if you want it).
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JudyMS
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01/23/2012
Geesebaby, when that happens to me I usually grab a sugar-free jello cup if I want something sweet tasting, or if I want something salty, I grab a dill pickle, a couple of pieces of pickled okra, or some giardiniera (pickled cauliflower, celery, onions, peppers). There are no carbs at all in jello and only a trace amount in pickled veggies...and I usually don't need the full serving size recommended on the jars, so you could cut that in half (seriously, no more than maybe 1g carbs so it's not going to hurt you at all). I've also found that vinegar helps with hormonal imbalance.

Sometimes I get tired of pork rinds or other things so it helps to have those go-to snacks on hand. If I gotta have meat, then I sometimes pop a hot dog in the microwave just long enough to heat through and dip it in a little dijon mustard. You can also take a piece of ham or turkey lunch meat and roll it up with some cream cheese or a piece of cheddar.

Just wanted to note too that even in the sample menus shown in the Atkin's book for Induction, the carb counts are sometimes a gram or two over 20g in a day. The most important thing about carbs in a meal is to try not to go over 9g in one meal, so spreading the 20g out over the course of a day is the way to go. The whole idea is to stay in ketosis. Eating over 9g can knock you out of ketosis, so keep spreading your counts out over the day, and don't sweat it if you go over 20g by a gram or two in a day's time.

And lastly, make sure you are eating enough food! If you're getting hungry too soon after supper, it may not be hunger at all...it could be thirst, disguised as hunger (this is something I had to learn the HARD way! I was literally dehydrated and didn't know it, and felt hungry when I shouldn't have been!) Try downing a glass of water and wait a few minutes to see if you're still hungry.

I hope this helps some...there are a lot of other foods you can have that won't throw you off track, you just have to explore a little bit and find what works for you!
JudyMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:49 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Make sure you're eating lots and lots of fat. Especially during induction, it's the key to reducing hunger.

Some ideas you can make up and have on hand:
  • Deviled Eggs
  • Cream cheese/salami wraps (check salami for sugar/carbs)
  • No bake "cheesecake" (one easy recipe in this thread: For some reason I want to give up today Help Seriously, it has like 2 steps and 4 ingredients!)
  • Tuna salad
  • Chicken salad

The #1 thing these foods all have in common is they're primarily FAT! This is what you need to get your body into ketosis. This is ALSO what you need to curb hunger. During these first few weeks, don't worry about calories. Worry about getting enough fat into your body to convince it that it's OK to BURN that precious fat! (Remember -- your body thinks there could be a famine tomorrow, if those hunters don't bring down a mammoth! Your body hasn't figured out about grocery stores yet. It's still "thinking" in terms of subsistence.)

Fat will help as a "fix" when you're feeling hungry NOW. Fat will ALSO, over time, curb your overall appetite. You'll find yourself eating smaller portions less frequently.

The number one thing is to PLAN. Know you're going to need snacks, so make some to have ready.
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:09 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thealything
Stats: 238/196/138 5'7"
WOE: Atkins (DANDR)
Start Date: restart March '12
everyone had very good suggestions. personally I love keeping oopsies and bacon around for a BLT that comes in at under 2g carbs (I don't mind going over by one or two), having a pickled egg or a devilled egg, or eating some salami like the others suggested.

but sometimes dieting just sucks that way. you always have a choice right? so in this case you have three:
1. be hungry
2. eat a couple more carbs
3. be inconvenienced and make a steak

then again. if you have a bunch of devilled eggs already prepped in the fridge then the dilemma is essentially solved and only adds 0.6g to your daily intake.

Last edited by thealything; 06-14-2012 at 04:11 AM..
thealything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:53 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Also, drink lots of water. Sometimes that helps with hunger.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

I appreciate the "permission" to go over the 20 gram carb mark by a couple grams. There are days where I just need more to eat. It would be food that's on plan...but I'm so fearful of messing my weight loss up! I have some of this recipes to try and I forgot about the tuna salad and chicken salad with mayo being virtually 0 carbs! Thanks for all the suggestions...I take them all in!
Old 06-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #8

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
probably hard boiled eggs are low carb enough that you could eat those even if you go a little over your carb allowance for the day.

I think it's a good rule that if you aren't hungry enough to eat plain hard boiled eggs, you aren't really all that hungry. LOL
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Hawkeye
Stats: 275/265/175
Start Date: June 12th, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealything View Post
everyone had very good suggestions. personally I love keeping oopsies and bacon around for a BLT that comes in at under 2g carbs (I don't mind going over by one or two), having a pickled egg or a devilled egg, or eating some salami like the others suggested.

but sometimes dieting just sucks that way. you always have a choice right? so in this case you have three:
1. be hungry
2. eat a couple more carbs
3. be inconvenienced and make a steak

then again. if you have a bunch of devilled eggs already prepped in the fridge then the dilemma is essentially solved and only adds 0.6g to your daily intake.
Yeah, I don't mind going over a carb or two as well. I know a lot of people are strict about it around here, but if I eat 22, I'm not going to cry. It's better than eating the 200 I was eating before and it's definitely better then going off the diet completely.

If I'm starving late at night, I usually grab a pepperoni stick or two. Does the trick. High in sodium, but you win some and you lose some.
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MadCommodore
What about peanut butter? very low in carbs the ones I get. Spoon of that with sugar free jello and a little squirt of whipped cream.
MadCommodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:07 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stellarexplorer
Stats: Male 6'-0" 193/167/170
WOE: no added sugar/ no starches
Start Date: March 21, 2012
Protein: sardines, chicken, leftovers from dinner, maybe some cheese. Nuts.
stellarexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:15 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
probably hard boiled eggs are low carb enough that you could eat those even if you go a little over your carb allowance for the day.

I think it's a good rule that if you aren't hungry enough to eat plain hard boiled eggs, you aren't really all that hungry. LOL
That's my rule as well.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Starvation it is then!
Old 06-17-2012, 08:34 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bobbin
WOE: High fat, moderate protein, low carb
Quote:

RR - I try to remember this too. Sometimes I'm feeling hungry and snacky in the evening, but I really want to stay on plan. I say to myself, "If you're that hungry, lets just have a couple of boiled eggs." If the answer is no, I know it's not real hunger, or rather it's hunger that can wait until breakfast.
Bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: joanchris2000
Once a week I cook up a London Broil....I've bought it and stuck it in the fridge with about a cup of marinade (usually something like no sugar added italian dressing), grill it up to about rare, m rare. Slice thinly, store in a tupperware in the fridge. There are virtually no carbs (very little of the dressing is actually absorbed by the meat), it's quick to heat up in the microwave for lunch, or sometimes a no carb snack. Cooking it to rare means when I heat it up it's about Medium which is how I prefer it. I try to buy the meat when it's buy one get one free, so I almost always have one or two in the freezer (is a zip bag with marinade).
joanchris2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

WTH is this alledged London Broil?

EDAM and Leerdammer cheeses = zero carbs btw
Old 06-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCommodore View Post
WTH is this alledged London Broil?

EDAM and Leerdammer cheeses = zero carbs btw
London broil is a cut often used for fajitas like a skirt steak. I've never tasted Edam but know it's readily available here. What does it taste like?

Eggs are usually my go to food. I do get scared the carb police will come if I go over...sorta freaks me out I've just gotten so used to staying at 20 or below. LOL!

Eggs are usually my go-to food. Especially deviled with mayo!
Old 06-18-2012, 04:51 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Psmileyf
Stats: 215/180/167
Start Date: 8/1/2011- renewed efforts 8/1/2014
It took me a long time to realize that going over 20 carbs per day does not necessarily mean I am going to gain weight.
Eating more carbs does not necessarily mean you will knock yourself out of ketosis or that you will gain weight if you do knock yourself out of ketosis.

Just don't make a regular habit of it because it is a slippery slope!
Psmileyf is online now   Reply With Quote