Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: smullick
Help! Weak Knees??

Hi I am 23 yr old male.

Over the past 2 months I have lost 20lbs. Down from 184 to 164.

I have been "low carbing" for about a month now and started Atkins Induction 12 days ago and just recently started feeling very weak in the knees for the past few days.

When I walk, it feels like I have little energy in my legs (mostly in my knees) and sometimes my knees "bend" on their own when I put weight on them. Also, when i go to sit, my knees make a cracking/popping noise. I know this is common for older people, but im only 23.

Not sure if the weakness is in the muscle or on the knee bones. On a scale of 1-10 I would put the weakness at about 3 or 4. Its really not that troublesome but has me worried more than anything else.

I am eating plenty of fats and protein. Also taking Men's One a Day Supplement and a Calcium supplement. I am eating 3 cups of salad for lunch with plenty of Broccoli to get Potassium. I also add some salt to the salad so I get plenty of Sodium also.

Whats going on here?? I have never had this issue before. I am in very good health otherwise.

Any advice besides going to a doctor? In my experience they like to worry you more than anything else. And they will probably just tell me to stop low carbing...

Please Help!

Thanks
smullick is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2012, 11:20 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
OK, I responded on your other post about this in some detail.

To sum up here, there are a few things you NEED to do now:

1.) Get to a good weight. (164... Not sure about your height/frame -- whether you need to lose more or are good there.) But a 10% decrease in body-weight can translate to as much as a 28% improvement in joint function.

2.) Stop "load stressing" your knees. Do not EVER do any of the following for exercise: Walk, run, jump, climb stairs. Instead, focus your cardio on things like biking, swimming, and/or water aerobics, to protect those knees.

3.) Exercise. Work on building up the various leg-muscle groups, including quads, hamstrings, glutes, and the abductor/aductor muscles. (These are possibly the most important ones! My physical therapist says 100% of his patients with knee problems show weakness there.)

I went into a bit more detail on the other thread. DO see a doctor, because you want him to send you to a physical therapist. Your physical therapist will get in there with your knees, determine what's going on, and give you the SPECIFIC exercises you need to be doing to fix your knees.

PLEASE don't put this off. Right now you have a choice: You can get the care you need and FIX the problem, or... you can be like me, owning a cane & a frigging wheel chair by 40. (The chair makes things like trips to the fair with the kids a pleasant day, instead of one long agony. But still... It's awful that I own it.)
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ntrovert
I would definitely go to a doctor and have some lab work drawn, and I'm saying that strictly because you really don't know what is going on blood chemistry-wise. My first knee-jerk reaction was you have electrolyte imbalance of some sort. It could even be as simple as too much calcium although you would first think the opposite, but I would hesitate ever telling a man to increase calcium supplements being that men are prone to kidney stone development.

That being said, you could increase your Glucose intake by 5 gram increment to see if that is part of the problem, but the best advice is get a fasting blood chemistry test to see what your baseline numbers are. I don't think a doctor would tell you to stop low-carb'ing; most likely, they will try to work with your specific need.
Ntrovert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JudyMS
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01/23/2012
I'm with the go-see-the-doctor folks on this one. You may have some underlying medical condition that you don't even know about. My knees started that cracking/popping when I was in my early 20's, but I just assumed it was arthritis because it was so prevalent in my family. I later found out that joint problems are also a symptom of thyroid disease, which I also have. It could be something as simple as needing to do certain exercises or changing something in your diet, but no matter what, the absolute best thing for you to do is to see your doctor. Best of luck to you...let us know if you find out what's up!

(PS - You might want to try cutting back on the salt...if you are seasoning your food with salt while cooking, you probably don't need extra when you sit down to eat. The extra sodium "could" be causing some inflammation in your joints, which could also make you feel weak in the knees. Something to discuss with your doctor! Let him/her run labs on you to see!)
JudyMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MadCommodore
WOE: Atkins
If you are type 2 diabetic be very careful mate
MadCommodore is offline   Reply With Quote