Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sara Sara
Stats: 147
WOE: The Basic Low Carb Diet
Start Date: 29th April 2012
Is it the protein? Not losing....And feel tired

Hi there!

I'm on day 10 of my low carb diet and I haven't lost any weight or reduced my measurements at all as well as feeling tired. Fair enough, I am still learning as I read about my new lifestyle so each day I eat a little better but I have noticed NO change. I've read a lot of posts here saying similar things and they all had some great answers from you guys. So my conclusion is that maybe my problem is eating too much protein...but i thought I would ask you guys out there what you thought.

I am doing low carb as a lifestyle change and not losing weight is in no way going to stop me from doing this...but I do need to lose weight.

My whole life I've weighed around 130 pounds. I had a back injury and was in bed for a month and went up to 147. It may not sound like much to some of you who have had to overcome much bigger obstacles but I have a huge tire around my belly and worst of all, this can affect my job as I do a lot of hosting and tv work. I need to go back to 132 pounds.

So I weigh 147
Height 5'5
Age 29

I eat an average/day:

30 g carbs
90 g fat
90 g protein
1200 calories
Drink 6 glasses of water, no alcohol.

I've tried going down to 10 g of carbs but I felt very dizzy and had heart palpitations... I think it was low potassium because I felt better when I ate more.

I can only exercise about 1 hour a day every day very light physiotherapy core building exercises. 3 times a week I do light swimming for 30 mins.

After my horrible injury and being unable to do anything for myself I decided I would avoid being sick at all costs...it sucks! I'd never been seriously I'll to the point where I needed people to do everything for me so for me Atkins is a lifestyle change so I can be healthy. In the last month I have given up smoking, carbs, morphine and Valium.

Id like to know your opinion. I've done a lot of research before writing this post but I thought it was worth asking you guys:
What you think I can do about not losing?
Do you think it's too much protein? I think I should be having about 60 grams a day but i can't seem to keep it below 90
Are there some good low carb- low protein foods you know off?
Why am I so tired? I read this lifestyle gives you energy

I know this is a lot of information but if anyone has time I would really appreciate their opinions and expertise.

Many thanks ☀💝
Sara Sara is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2012, 07:25 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 19, 2011
Could you an idea of what an average daily menu looks like?

While many people who have been on Atkins for some time find that they do better counting calories as well as counting carbs, it is not recommended for Induction.
I'm afraid you may be eating too little.
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: camel?
Stats: 194/165/159
Start Date: November 2009
90 grams of protein is probably about perfect for you! Your ratios look good, but you may want to increase your calories a bit, especially at the beginning.
Or alternate a higher calorie day (even maintenance level or just above), then a lower calorie day. I wouldn't do more than 3 days of 1200 cals in a row, or your metabolism might slow down and you'll just get cold and tired.

With all the changes, and medication adjustments, you need to give your body time to heal. Its probably in shock, and may be retaining water as it tries to deal with the stress of all the changes.

Try to get lots and lots of sleep! And try not to stress too much this will really help your body relax and let go of water retention and inflammation.

I understand why you want the weight loss to happen fast, but be patient with your body, its been through a lot!
camel? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scottieMike
Stats: 265/228/175
Start Date: April 2011
Your weight lose is relatively low. So, the process may take longer ie you may have a hard time seeing the change in the scales on a week to week basis. And 10 days is a pretty short time span.

Also, 30 net gram of carbs might be too high to lose weight. You might consider backing down to 20 net grams or more of the induction levels. People vary at the levels that will cause a change. Reading many sites, some people have to stay near 20 to lose. Others can lose at 50+ ng. Very much trial and error. Give yourself another week or two before trying to change things. Weight loss is very non-linear. Losing inches indicates something is working.

As with any posting, your actual meal plan would be helpful. People often consume items which slow weight loss eg Atkins bars, alcohol, medications, etc.
scottieMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AthenaDeMenthe
You have too many carbs. You and me are pretty same on numbers, and even though I work out almost every day, I still need LESS than 20 grams of carbs to lose. 30 is too much, and 10 is perfect. 1200 calories is a little low for me if I'm working out but on a non-workout day it's fine. I try to shoot for a 1400 calorie average when trying to lose.
AthenaDeMenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: southbel
Stats: 244/131/120 - 5'4"
Lower the carbs and increase the fat. If I want to lose weight being smaller, I make sure to have at least 60% of my calories from fat. It drops off quick. Protein looks good though.
southbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mfit4Me
WOE: Sensible
Start Date: April 30, 2012
I agree with southbel, lower your carbs and have more good fats, especially if you are not doing a lot of exercising.

Last edited by Mfit4Me; 05-23-2012 at 02:16 PM..
Mfit4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:29 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
30 carbs is not induction-level.

If you feel dizzy, eat more fat. FORGET calories during induction. You're teaching your body to switch fuels, and to do that, it needs unlimited amounts of fat. (Otherwise, it will refuse to BURN the fat, because it believes food is scarce and you may starve soon. Our body doesn't know about grocery stores -- it thinks we're still hunter-gatherers.)

Cut down to 20 or fewer carbs, eat when you're hungry, and if you think you're low on potassium, have a few dill pickles. Or some Electrolyte Water from Trader Joe's. Or buy "No-Salt" (which is potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride) and add a little to your food like you would table salt.

I'm past induction, and rarely do 30 g of carbs. Once you get your body on track, you may work back UP to 30... but for now, try to do induction, which means 20 or fewer carbs, and eating lots of high-fat food whenever you're hungry (and NOT counting calories).

You're trying to change your body chemistry on a fundamental level. If you don't do it right, it won't work.
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: xamier
Stats: 125 5'2"tall
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 6/17/03
Some people don't do well on 20 carbs. Try more fat and eating more but if you still feel ill go back to 30. It will take a little longer but you will lose as long as you aren't eating too much food.

You might try tracking your food and calories. You can learn if you are eating too little, too much, and look for carb creep. Also watch out for bars and products. They stall a lot of folks. Some people react to sugar alcohols just like sugar.

Look for the book "Atkins for life." Dr Atkins says that some people can start in OWL if they don't have a lot to lose. This approach might work better for you.

Stay the course, you will get where you want to be in time.
Citronelle, Alabama, USA
[/COLOR]
xamier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:12 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mihulea
HI

Im starting a 10 day low carb diet to force my metabolism in to ketosis mode. My questions are:
1. Can I take my multi vitamins which are OPTI-MEN at 3 tablets a day or swap them for a standard multi for the 10 day period as the opti-men also contain aminos and few other bits.

2. My second meal (snack) is a shake which contais one grapefruit, one scoup protein ( 16 gr protein, 9 gr carbs) 2 tbs mixed nuts, 2 tbs flax seeds, 5 gr creatine. The question here is should I take out the mixed nuts and flas seeds as they increase the carbs a bit,or maybe half tehm or just take a grapefruit to replace the shake for the 10 days?

Thanks in advance.
mihulea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:51 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Grapefruit is definitely NOT an induction food! Half a pink one has 11 net carbs. If you're using a WHOLE grapefruit as you say, that's 22 carbs in your shake alone. That much carb in one meal will keep you out of ketosis for certain. The only food in your shake that's even CLOSE to OK for induction are the flax-seeds. (Technically, they're prohibited too, but 2 tbs still comes to 0 net carbs.)

Your shake, as described, has almost 30 net carbs, in ONE MEAL.

Mihuleah, have you read any books about Atkins? I suggest you do so before trying to start induction, or you will be frustrated and disappointed. You're worrying about things with trace carbs (vitamins, flax), while eating fruits and powders that have FAR too many for induction.

Last edited by LiterateGriffin; 06-05-2012 at 08:03 AM..
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote