Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NoWomanNoCry
New here and VERY overwelmed lol

Just wanted to introduce myself and say hello. My name is Anna. I live in Pa (from Texas though) I got married a few months ago. I'll be 29 in July and been overweight most of my life I want to change for good. I dont want to fall off the wagon like I have in the past I want to change my lifestyle for the better.

Im a little overwelmed on this site because im not sure if I should follow Adkins or low carb eating. Is there a difference? I did Adkins a long time ago and wasnt on it for long, also after reading some threads on here im not sure I was even following the adkins plan correctly lol I see something about a 2 wk induction? No clue what that is...

I have no issues with sweets..I 100% dislike sweets..not my thing never has been really. Its the soda's..they are my weakness I do know that no matter how I change my way of eating I have to cut out ALL of my soda intake. I did cut it all out about a year ago for a few months and at first I started getting headachs and was very moody lol but it went away..im not sure if it was withdraws or what. Im not really into fried foods at all..but I do love potatos but im willing to cut out all white flour products if need be. I love vegies...and salads...I dont work out for a few reasons...one being I have nerve damage in my back..once my back starts to act up im done for awhile. However thats no reason why I cant walk ..which is why we will be getting a tredmill here soon cant wait for that! I have a job that has me on my feet for 5-8 hrs were im moving all the time so I am active on the days I work..on the days im not working I will be pushing myself to at least walk in the evenings until we get the tredmill.

I know I will also want to lower my blood pressure..I had blood pressure issues back in 08 and was on pills for it but now due to no health insurance I havent been keeping up with my BP but im sure its still not at a healthy range.

I guess what im asking or needing advice in is what plan would be right for someone like myself with the things I have listed above. Adkins? Low Carb? if Adkins is the way then what is the induction thing?

Im sorry for all the questions. Just want to make sure I do this right and I dont fail because my health depends on this. Thank you for reading and any advice and tips.
NoWomanNoCry is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hotchick818
Stats: 213/203/165
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 1/5/14 Restart Low carb
Hi Anna,
If you're interested in doing the Atkins diet, you should read Dr. Atkins' book or at least google Atkins diet. If you do that, you will learn all about induction, which is basically the first two weeks of the diet. You keep your carb intake under 20 grams daily and only eat induction friendly foods. Induction is the most restrictive phase of the diet because it reprograms our body to burn fat. A sample induction menu is below:

Breakfast
2 eggs, 3 slices of bacon

Snack
String cheese

Lunch
2 cups of salad w/ bleu cheese dressing
1 grilled chicken breast

Dinner
1 piece of salmon
1cup of asparagus spears

Drink lots of water and limit the artificial sweeteners that you consume.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...tterchick.html
hotchick818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Thanks so much for your reply! I'll do more research like you said.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:01 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

You are quite welcome! There is a lot of great info available online, including a lot of yummy recipes
Old 04-04-2012, 11:07 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thealything
Stats: 238/196/138 5'7"
WOE: Atkins (DANDR)
Start Date: restart March '12
just buy Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution, it's on amazon for like $2.
thealything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:34 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
You can usually find the Atkins books VERY cheaply in used bookstores. Like, I got one for $1 the other month. Pick one, and read it cover-to-cover. Atkins is ONE type of low-carb diet. (Probably the first, since he first published it in 1972. Since then, others have taken the idea that carbs are bad for us, and gone in slightly different directions with it. I think all of them can be helpful, but Atkins is what I'm most familiar with.)

I've got a bad soda habit, too. I'm addicted to the bubbles. I use seltzer water, and a sugar-free syrup (Torani, DaVinci, etc) when I get a craving. These days, it's not even Diet Pepsi I WANT: It's a raspberry soda with plenty of cream. (Apartame -- used for commercial Diet sodas -- can trigger weight gain. Avoid it.)

Almost any LC plan will be good for your blood pressure and over-all health (particularly your CARDIAC health).

The first 2 weeks (Induction) may be difficult, but it all gets easier from there. In every sense: Your body adapts -- so you're seldom hungry and don't WANT carbs -- and the plan becomes less restrictive -- allowing you a greater variety of foods.

There's a board FULL of very encouraging people here, who'll help you in any way we can.

And, while you won't be eating potatoes in the first 2 weeks, you can make wonderful "mashed potatoes" using some substitute vegetables like cauliflower, that taste REMARKABLY like the real thing. I've served them to company, and never had anyone guess what it was. (Though they usually love 'em so much I get asked for the recipe.)

So none of this means you have to permanently give up your favorite foods (except soda, white flour, and sugar). Read the book, that's your starting place. Then come here for folks willing to help you find ways to make it work for YOU!
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:50 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Thanks. I bought the book last night only have read a few pages I'm though. I think it's the new one though.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:00 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

There's some variations between "versions" -- and quite a few versions have hit print. That's OK... It'll still be your groundwork. It'll explain what you're doing and why.

ONE note on books after 2000: Some of them seem to recommend a lot of Atkins-brand products like shakes and bars. These actually HURT weight-loss for most people. Try to stick to eating whole foods, rather than overly processed foods, as much as possible.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:16 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Oh... Just to give you some "hope" on the potatoes: An entire thread where people talk about their favorite ways to make them! (Just remember --that's for AFTER your 2 weeks of induction.)
Old 04-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Thanks so much girl for your help. Yes I have noticed in my new book they are pushing the bars and pre packed stuff.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

lol Just skip over that. His original plan was a call for un-processed food. Then the marketing folks got involved... Stick with whole, unprocessed foods as much as humanly possible.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Agreed! Stay away from the bars. While they are tasty, I think they are slowing my loss big time. My entire menu is great, but I when I have a bar for a snack on a consistent basis it seems to almost stall me. It's quite frustrating so I'm going to have to give them up!

I'm running out of time. I need to be fabulous(or at least close) by the end of June. So essentially I have three months to drop 20-25 lbs.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SamanthaM14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiterateGriffin View Post
There's some variations between "versions" -- and quite a few versions have hit print. That's OK... It'll still be your groundwork. It'll explain what you're doing and why.

ONE note on books after 2000: Some of them seem to recommend a lot of Atkins-brand products like shakes and bars. These actually HURT weight-loss for most people. Try to stick to eating whole foods, rather than overly processed foods, as much as possible.
Im new here(signed up like 10 minutes ago) but have been on atkins for 5 weeks now. I have lost like 20 pounds, but i came here to check out some recipes and get some support.
But i HATE eggs... so I eat a bar in the morning and sometimes even a snack bc they are so good. Why is it that they delay your losing?
SamanthaM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

They don't for everyone, but for SOME people they do.

It's the sugar-alcohols they use for sweeteners. For some folks, they cause "digestive distress" (ie: gas and smelly farts), and for some people, they just kill the weight loss.

BTW -- no law says you have to have eggs for breakfast. You could do tuna or some-such... (I pick on tuna because it's fast, and I hate cooking in the morning... although I've been scrambling 6 eggs every morning for over a month now. 6 eggs, and whatever meat/veggies are left from last night, all scrambled up, and we have breakfast for 3.)

I've got an uncured salami I get at Foodmaxx. I spread one side with cream cheese and roll it up into a tube. I'll prep a bunch of those in advance, and have been known to grab a handful for breakfast.

You don't have to eat "breakfast food" for breakfast -- you just have to eat SOMETHING for breakfast!
Old 04-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TropicalSerenade
Stats: 212/205/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 14, 2012
You could always check out an actual Dr. Atkins book from a public library! That way you can see what the difference is between the book you have and say, Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution (DANDR).

I never feel like meat or eggs in the morning. I stick with my coffee, heavy cream and some cheese.
TropicalSerenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:27 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 50by60
Stats: 263/195/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6/4/11
I am going to have to give up diet sodas. My dental hygenist, and my gynocologist have both told me that carbonated beverages deplete the calcium in bones. I have been diagnosed with osteoporosis and do not want to take the meds because of the awful side effects. My dental hygenist told me about her best friend's story. At 34 she was in full blown osteoporosis and was given the meds...she tried them for a week and was not happy with aches and pains so she listened to her trainer and gave up the sodas for 6 months. At her repeat bone scan she was no longer in the negative range and was no longer diagnosed with osteoporosis. When she told her doctor that she had only taken one round of Fosomax, he said that may have caused the miracle...but she knows that it was giving up carbonated beverages and not the meds that made the difference. I am going to have to stop the sodas. I did not drink them often last summer and the weight loss was steady. Now I drink them and the weight loss has stalled. I am going to try one week with only one per day. Then maybe one every other day until they are a treat myself option.
50by60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: liteasabutterfly
Stats: 248/243/240.60/237.70
WOE: Atkins Induction 1st time
Start Date: 4/9/12
Sweetners

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotchick818 View Post
Hi Anna,
If you're interested in doing the Atkins diet, you should read Dr. Atkins' book or at least google Atkins diet. If you do that, you will learn all about induction, which is basically the first two weeks of the diet. You keep your carb intake under 20 grams daily and only eat induction friendly foods. Induction is the most restrictive phase of the diet because it reprograms our body to burn fat. A sample induction menu is below:

Breakfast
2 eggs, 3 slices of bacon

Snack
String cheese

Lunch
2 cups of salad w/ bleu cheese dressing
1 grilled chicken breast

Dinner
1 piece of salmon
1cup of asparagus spears

Drink lots of water and limit the artificial sweeteners that you consume.
I have a question Hotchick818. Just finishing my second week of induction but planning to stay in induction for a little longer. I see you said limit your sweetners, is equal ok or if I need to use I should use something else. I see alot of people use splenda or stevia, and are the bars and shakes thats for all phase good for induction or do you think they slow the process?? Please let me know. I would really appreciate it!!!!
liteasabutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote