Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 05:23 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dmwilliams
Stats: 257/246/180
WOE: Modified Atkins
Start Date: 3/8/2012
11 days, 11 pounds, and ketosis after 100g of carbs.

Hey everyone!

Day 11 of induction for me, and I'm down 11 lbs! Most importantly, I feel better

So, instead of doing a "clean" induction, I decided to make Sunday a "free day" to eat a relatively carb-heavy meal. Yesterday I had nachos and a chicken sandwich on pita bread and one beer. ****** tells me I ate about 100g of carbs yesterday, but my ketostix were still turning dark pink last night. Has anyone else experienced this? Ketosis even after a cheat day that should have knocked them out of ketosis? It seems too good to believe!
dmwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2012, 05:35 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dansamy
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 03/11/2012
Did you test again this morning?
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:38 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mztymarie
Stats: 230/192/180/165
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: Jan 13 2012
It happens like that sometimes but this is no excuse to cheat on a regular basis....you will be knocked out eventually! Every one is different and it may not work for someone else. I found that if i cheat just once a month with about 100g for the day, I loose and continue to be in Ketosis. Im sure if I did it more often it would def stop my weight loss! Be VERRRY greatful it did not hinder you becasue my one friend can have about 50g and be knocked out of ketosis
~Every good thing comes to an end~
mztymarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:55 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansamy View Post
Did you test again this morning?
Yep, still dark pink, but from what I gather everyone goes into ketosis while sleeping so testing pink in the morning is pretty much a given. I'm 1.3 lbs lighter this morning than I was when I weighed yesterday morning, too.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:56 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: AsmallerME
Start Date: 8/18/14
Good luck to you but cheating once per week doesn't work out well for most of us. Also, some of us show gains two days after cheating, not immediately after.
AsmallerME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:02 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mztymarie View Post
It happens like that sometimes but this is no excuse to cheat on a regular basis....you will be knocked out eventually! Every one is different and it may not work for someone else. I found that if i cheat just once a month with about 100g for the day, I loose and continue to be in Ketosis. Im sure if I did it more often it would def stop my weight loss! Be VERRRY greatful it did not hinder you becasue my one friend can have about 50g and be knocked out of ketosis
~Every good thing comes to an end~
Hey mztymarie, I'm not looking for "excuses" to cheat. I've already decided that every Sunday will be a free day to have a carbohydrate meal. When I've lost with low carb before, I always end up stalled for weeks or months at a time despite eating totally "clean" with no cheat days. I've done a lot of research and there seems to be a growing consensus that "refeeding" your body carbs once per week can keep you from stalling. The reasoning behind this is that after dieting for a while (on any diet, really) your metabolism can slow to a crawl because your body thinks food is in short supply and goes into conservation mode and you stop losing weight. Giving yourself one day per week to eat carbohydrate foods can keep this from happening.

When I have my cheat days, I still make sure that the lion's share of my calories are coming from fat, but I reduce my protein intake and replace those calories with calories from carbohydrates. Normally I aim for at least 60% fat, and that's even on the cheat days. Yesterday was 60% fat, 30% carbs and 10% protein.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:07 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsmallerME View Post
Good luck to you but cheating once per week doesn't work out well for most of us. Also, some of us show gains two days after cheating, not immediately after.
I find that if I don't have a cheat day, it's at least a thousand times more likely that I will fall off the wagon completely and go back to eating carbohydrates by the truckload. I'm also very disciplined in my "cheating". For instance, I'll have an apple or another piece of fruit instead of going for the cookies or potato chips. I realize this might not work well for other people, but it seems to be working pretty well for me
Old 03-19-2012, 06:25 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Milaandra
Stats: 200/191/125 - 5'4" - 49 yo
Start Date: March 12, 2012
Dr. Atkins said that over 50 grams a day, the sticks don't often work anyway, so maybe the ketones you're showing are left overs. Yes, keep an eye on your sticks to make sure you don't end up out for two days in response to one off-plan meal a week. That would suck! But you might be one of those lucky people who can consume higher amounts of carbs.

If you want to add a carb day once a week, can I suggest you leave your protein alone and just up your overall calories for the day with your carb additions? From what I have read, the body goes into starvation mode as a result of calorie count primarily, so if your goal is to keep your body guessing it might work better to do it that way.

And perhaps choose items that are fairly low on the glycemic index to make sure you don't get a huge insulin spike?

Have you had any cravings since?
Milaandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:26 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwilliams View Post
For instance, I'll have an apple or another piece of fruit instead of going for the cookies or potato chips.
Oops, I was posting and didn't see this until after.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:46 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thealything
Stats: 238/196/138 5'7"
WOE: Atkins (DANDR)
Start Date: restart March '12
Quote:
Hey mztymarie, I'm not looking for "excuses" to cheat. I've already decided that every Sunday will be a free day to have a carbohydrate meal. When I've lost with low carb before, I always end up stalled for weeks or months at a time despite eating totally "clean" with no cheat days. I've done a lot of research and there seems to be a growing consensus that "refeeding" your body carbs once per week can keep you from stalling. The reasoning behind this is that after dieting for a while (on any diet, really) your metabolism can slow to a crawl because your body thinks food is in short supply and goes into conservation mode and you stop losing weight. Giving yourself one day per week to eat carbohydrate foods can keep this from happening.

When I have my cheat days, I still make sure that the lion's share of my calories are coming from fat, but I reduce my protein intake and replace those calories with calories from carbohydrates. Normally I aim for at least 60% fat, and that's even on the cheat days. Yesterday was 60% fat, 30% carbs and 10% protein.

Dr Atkins does specifically addresses cheat days in DANDR, but he recommends making them high carb and low fat. Like, pasta with fat-free red sauce and no cheese, or cereal with skim milk.
thealything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:09 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milaandra View Post
Dr. Atkins said that over 50 grams a day, the sticks don't often work anyway, so maybe the ketones you're showing are left overs. Yes, keep an eye on your sticks to make sure you don't end up out for two days in response to one off-plan meal a week. That would suck! But you might be one of those lucky people who can consume higher amounts of carbs.

If you want to add a carb day once a week, can I suggest you leave your protein alone and just up your overall calories for the day with your carb additions? From what I have read, the body goes into starvation mode as a result of calorie count primarily, so if your goal is to keep your body guessing it might work better to do it that way.

And perhaps choose items that are fairly low on the glycemic index to make sure you don't get a huge insulin spike?

Have you had any cravings since?

Nope, no cravings! Thank goodness for that!

I worry about keeping my protein intake the same while consuming additional carbs because I have metabolic syndrome (and probably type II diabetes, going to be tested in about 3 weeks). I think the combo of protein/carbs might push my blood sugar up to the point where I do start having cravings, or to the point where my body simply can't clear the glucose from my blood (because of my insulin resistance). I keep a very close eye on my protein intake as is, because if I consume too much then I stop losing weight completely, and that is disastrous for me!

I'm wondering why Atkins thought the strips didn't work over 50g of carbs? If there are excess ketones being excreted in the urine, the strips will show that no matter how many carbs you're eating, right?
Old 03-19-2012, 07:12 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealything View Post
Dr Atkins does specifically addresses cheat days in DANDR, but he recommends making them high carb and low fat. Like, pasta with fat-free red sauce and no cheese, or cereal with skim milk.
Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me! Because I'm insulin resistant, when I eat carbs it starts a vicious cycle of high blood sugar, hunger, and binge eating. Keeping my fat intake high while eating higher amounts of carbs ensures that I feel full, so I'm not tempted to keep eating and eating and eating and eating and, well, eating some more!
Old 03-19-2012, 07:58 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

I'm wondering why Atkins thought the strips didn't work over 50g of carbs? If there are excess ketones being excreted in the urine, the strips will show that no matter how many carbs you're eating, right?
I guess most people consuming 50 grams don't have enough excess ketones to show up on the sticks, even if they are still losing weight.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milaandra View Post
I guess most people consuming 50 grams don't have enough excess ketones to show up on the sticks, even if they are still losing weight.
Hmm, well, based on my own experience I am going to have to say Dr. Atkins was WRONG on that one!
Old 03-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dansamy
Start Date: 03/11/2012
Dr. Atkins meant per day. Not just one day.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansamy View Post
Dr. Atkins meant per day. Not just one day.
if I can eat 100g one day and the sticks still work fine for me, what's the difference in someone eating 50g per day for ten days in a row? If there are excess ketones being excreted, the sticks will show that. There just isn't any logic behind the statement that "the sticks don't work if you eat 50g of carbs per day". They work at 30, 40, 45, or 49g, but not 50g? That's absurd.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:09 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Joe>A&F
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Sept 2010
I think the others are right to warn you of the pitfalls of what can knock you out of ketosis but in all honesty, if it's working for you .. just keep on trucking! everyone's body is different - so we can universally apply these theories and measurements etc for what brings us in or takes us out of ketosis but it in no way applies religiously to everyone...

I eat low carb, I have done for about a 1 1/2 years. Occasionally I'll be shoved into a situation where it's nearly impossible to refuse carbs. (just like yesterday afternoon when someone from work had made me a birthday cake from stratch... awkward). I had to have a slice becuase I didnt want to be rude.

... but I checked this morning and I'm still doing fine/ in ketosis.

Just dont slip into a habit of cheat days (in my opinion) because if you have a particularly weak moment you might decide that "Hey I dont need LC, I can just work out more and eat what I want...." for the majority of people this will end in disaster.

Keep up the good work!
Joe>A&F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:20 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mick6
DMWILLIAMS, I am curious to know if you have done 80-100 grams over a few days too see if you are still in ketosis. My husband always eats between 80-100 grams a day and his sticks always turn color. He also has managed to lose about 5 lbs a week for 3 weeks and now had about 6 more lbs to go. His carbs are all unprocessed veg, fruits, nuts etc.

I quit showing on the strips at about 60 grams.

My theory is that maybe since he is a big tall muscular guy maybe his body burns carbs much more efficiently????????
Mick6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Skinnurse
Stats: 235/.../175
WOE: LC..ACE
Start Date: 01/07/2013
My mother is a diabetic. She lost 70 pounds in 6 months eating clean but allowing a Sunday cheat day. That wasn't a free pass to binge all day but she would have a sandwich or a small ice cream etc and not feel guilty. Her having that one day a week to look forward to kept her ON track!

For me, one cheat day equals excuses to keep cheating. My body doesn't like it
Skinnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #20
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Meek75
Congrats on your progress thus far. If having a "free day" works for you than continue on... everything isn't for everyone, but if you're in full control and can resume you plan-good for you babes . Keep up the good work!
Meek75 is offline   Reply With Quote