Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thealything
Stats: 238/196/138 5'7"
WOE: Atkins (DANDR)
Start Date: restart March '12
Sample menus for induction -- by the book!

Hi guys,

I'm not new to this board, nor to Atkins... I've been attempting to lose weight on and off since 2003. The first time I did Atkins, I was only about 165 lbs on a teenaged 5'7 frame. Over the years, every time I went off plan I would binge on pizza, chips, bagels and all the other delicious stuff that's not good for us, and ended up putting on 70 lbs over the last nine years. So now I'm making sure this is the LAST time I ever lose weight on Atkins, this time for good.

In the past, I always did Atkins incorrectly, though I didn't really realize it. Either I'd use too much cheese, or not enough of the right veggies, or introduce nuts too soon, or rely too heavily on HWC and processed meats. I also ended up consuming too many carbs without knowing it, because I was eyeballing portions or failing to check labels for stuff like half & half.

So now I am doing Atkins BY THE BOOK and following everything exactly... except coffee, which is my vice. I'm keeping cheese to 4 oz, making sure I get 2 cups of salad veggies every day, using 3 packets of splenda or less, and sometimes using a tiny bit of sour cream, olives or lemon juice. I've seen some people asking for sample menus on here, so I've decided to post a few of mine in the hopes that they may help.

I know my calories are low... I've been getting between 1000 and 1600 calories most days, mostly because I'm just not hungry! Also, I find it hard to do 3 meals a day because after breakfast I feel full for hours. So my "lunch" usually ends up being a small snack. Your lunch could be a steak instead. YMMV. I'm going to try and phase out the coffee/cream/splenda and instead use those carbs on a nice, bigger lunch or something.

Last edited by thealything; 02-17-2012 at 11:39 AM..
thealything is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

day 1

breakfast
4 scrambled eggs cooked in bacon fat, topped with 1 oz cheese, 1 tbsp salsa and 1 tbsp sour cream
6 slices bacon
1 cup coffee with HWC + 1 packet splenda

snack
2 oz cheese

lunch
1 cup spinach topped with 1 hard boiled egg (chopped), 2 slices of bacon (chopped), 1/8 cup chopped obnions, and 1 tbsp creamy masala dressing

dinner
same as lunch

totals
1600 calories, 122g fat, 19g net carbs, 101g protein
Old 02-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

breakfast

snack
2 oz feta cheese

lunch
half of an omelette

omelette contents:
3 eggs, 1/2 cup chopped asparagus, 1/4 cup chopped onion, 2 oz mozza cheese, cooked in butter and topped with sour cream and salsa

dinner
same as lunch

totals
1100 calories, 86g fat, 15g net carbs, 58g protein

(I need more food in this menu! maybe a steak with a side of sauteed spinach... or a chicken breast over romaine lettuce)

Last edited by thealything; 02-17-2012 at 11:55 AM..
Old 02-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

day 3

breakfast
3 scrambled eggs cooked in butter, topped with sour cream and capers
5 slices bacon

snack
1 oz cheese

lunch
2 cups spinach topped with 3 oz crumbled feta, plus chopped cucumber, tomatoes, lemon juice, and oil

dinner
not too hungry... had some sliced cucumber with sour cream

totals
1290 calories, 106g fat, 22g net carbs, 59g protein
Old 02-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

day 4 (today)

breakfast
ham + cheese roll-ups (4 slices of lean black forest ham rolled with 1 oz shredded cheese)
1 cup coffee with half and half + 1 packet splenda (ran out of HWC this morning so used a coworker's h&h)

lunch
same as breakfast, minus the coffee

dinner
1 cup shrimp cooked in garlic butter
2 cups spinach topped with cucumber, tomato, onions, kalamata olives, capers, 2 oz feta, avocado oil and lemon juice

dessert
root beer "float" -- 2 cans diet root beer mixed with 4 tbsp HWC

totals
1485 calories, 105g fat, 21g net carbs, 101g protein
Old 02-18-2012, 09:07 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

day 5

breakfast
3 egg omelette cooked in butter, with 2oz marble cheese, 1 tsp capers and 1 tbsp sour cream
4 slices bacon
tea with cream and stevia

lunch
cucumber salad: 1 cup cubed cucumber, kalamata olives, 1/4 cup chopped red onion, 2oz feta cheese, all marinated/tossed in lemon juice and avocado oil
(I ran out of leafy greens and won't be able to go to the store today... but I figure that cucumber didn't make me fat, so I'm gonna go for it )
plus one cup of cooked shrimp in butter, garlic, a little ginger and spices

dinner
don't know yet but probably leftover shrimp and salad. if not then I may just go with steak with a pat of butter on top!

totals (may change if I want steak later)
1420 calories, 117g fat, 20g net carbs, 73g protein

Last edited by thealything; 02-18-2012 at 09:11 AM..
Old 02-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: believe
Stats: 204/176/144
WOE: low carb
Start Date: December 2009and again 10-11-12
Thanks for posting all these menu ideas. I really appreciate it because i'm just starting induction over. I think I have been doing it wrong and haven't had much luck. Keep posting and good luck.
believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

thanks, believe. it can be a struggle. try to eat as clean as you can, and go from there -- the results may surprise you. Atkins does work, though. I have a hard time controlling dairy on Atkins and am starting to think I may need to give it up altogether! other than that, I feel amazing on induction. I'm trying not to weigh every day but so far the scale has been showing positive results.

I ended up changing the above menu. I had an extra ounce of feta in my cucumber salad, shrimp for lunch, 1oz feta cheese as a snack, and for dinner had a 10 oz ribeye fried in butter with minced garlic, salt, pepper and Mrs Dash. my new totals are 2056 calories/167 fat/18 net carb/109 protein.

I do suffer gout attacks, which I kinda forgot about when I bought the shrimp... so far I have NOT had problems and my joints actually feel better, but the shrimp caused a bunch of knee pain today. it has purines in it which is bad news for gouty people. guess I'll just have to eat more steak
Old 02-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: believe
Stats: 204/176/144
WOE: low carb
Start Date: December 2009and again 10-11-12
Hope the gout misses you this time around. I've never had it but my mom has and it is miserable. Glad your eating is making you feel better. I'm not to that point yet , I feel like i'm carrying extra water weight. I tend to carry more weight around my middle area and it seems more pronounced now. I read where Atkins gets rid of fat maybe faster than other diets,hope it happens. I just have to stick with it and get this weight off. Thanks so much for the menu ideas.
believe is offline   Reply With Quote