Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: chapman182
Stats: 188.8/186.6/165
WOE: Medi Weightloss (doing on my own without clinic)
Start Date: 11/19/2011
How much sugar does it take to throw you out of ketosis?!?!

Hey guys,
First off I apologize in advance if I'm in the wrong forum section, but Im doing Atkins with an emphasis in ketosis.
Basically, I was wondering how many grams of sugar can you have per day without being thrown out of ketosis? I keep my carbs low, only eating 15-20 a day, but within those carbs are some grams of sugar. I can't find any meat or cheese to eat without a gram or two of sugar in it, thus I'm eating about 15 grams of sugar a day (and again, that from meat, cheese, and low carb/cal coffee creamer).
Can someone please answer this for me? I can't seem to find any answers anywhere!

Thanks, and happy new year to all,
-chapman182
chapman182 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Psmileyf
Stats: 215/184/167
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/1/2011- renewed efforts 8/1/2014
Everyone is different. What you describe should allow you to stay in ketosis.
Psmileyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: silasgreenback
Stats: 6' 5" - 249/201/200
WOE: LC, mainly VLC.
Start Date: Sept 2011
Sugar being a refined carbohydrate is very readily absorbed and stimulates a large insulin response in comparison to more natural carbohydrates.

So if you are eating it all in one go, it might knock you out of ketosis, but as long as it's a small amount then it won't take too long to be utilised and for your blood sugar to drop.

Sugar is something you should be avoiding though, it really is just about the worse substance to consume on a low carb diet.

John.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Linda1960
Stats: 246/195/145
WOE: JUDDD/(combined with WW-type foods)
Start Date: Highest wt: 246/ Start JUDDD 8/18/2014 @ 209.8
Meat should not contain sugar AT ALL! Unless you are eating processed foods, you won't be consuming sugar if you are eating plain meat, cheese, etc.

Certain foods will have sugar in them if they are processed.......(like beef sticks, certain bacon, sausage, etc...., as well as fat-free and low-fat foods). When they make foods low fat or fat free, they usually add sugar in them to make them flavorful. Buy full-fat cheese, and cream and regular meat with skin and fat, to avoid sugar intake. Also try to avoid things that are high in sugar such as BBQ sauce, ketchup, certain salad dressings, terriyaki sauce, etc.

If you stick with pure meat and cheese and eggs.........you will not get any sugar from those foods. I try to eat as clean as possible; stick with whole foods, and you will be better off.

A rule of thumb that people try to stick with, is if there is sugar in the ingredients, make sure it is not listed as one of the FIRST THREE INGREDIENTS. Also, if sugar is included in the ingredients, check to see that the carbohydrate count for a serving of 2 TBSPs DOES NOT EXCEED 2 grams of carbs per serving. Then it should not affect you too badly. Hope this helps! And good luck!

1998 - 246 lbs.-Highest weight Pre-Atkins. Lost 70 lbs on Atkins, and kept it off for years. Then gained some back (225) when I stopped doing low-carb. Did WW (225 - 209.8)/Started JUDDD 8/18/14 @ 209.8 lbs!
Old 01-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: chapman182
Stats: 188.8/186.6/165
WOE: Medi Weightloss (doing on my own without clinic)
Start Date: 11/19/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda1960 View Post
Meat should not contain sugar AT ALL! Unless you are eating processed foods, you won't be consuming sugar if you are eating plain meat, cheese, etc.

Certain foods will have sugar in them if they are processed.......(like beef sticks, certain bacon, sausage, etc...., as well as fat-free and low-fat foods). When they make foods low fat or fat free, they usually add sugar in them to make them flavorful. Buy full-fat cheese, and cream and regular meat with skin and fat, to avoid sugar intake. Also try to avoid things that are high in sugar such as BBQ sauce, ketchup, certain salad dressings, terriyaki sauce, etc.

If you stick with pure meat and cheese and eggs.........you will not get any sugar from those foods. I try to eat as clean as possible; stick with whole foods, and you will be better off.

A rule of thumb that people try to stick with, is if there is sugar in the ingredients, make sure it is not listed as one of the FIRST THREE INGREDIENTS. Also, if sugar is included in the ingredients, check to see that the carbohydrate count for a serving of 2 TBSPs DOES NOT EXCEED 2 grams of carbs per serving. Then it should not affect you too badly. Hope this helps! And good luck!

Where do I get unprocessed cheese? A deli?
chapman182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
I usually have a little ketchup with my hamburger patties and a little regular bbq sauce with my ribs and I'm still in ketosis. It depends on how your body responds, but a little shouldn't hurt. It's all up to you though if you want to consume a little or not. If you don't want any sugar at all, then you need to buy fresh meats and not cured or processed meats.
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NP8559
Stats: S141/C131.6/G115/ 5'0
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/22/2011
I have the hardest time getting INTO ketosis! I low-carb it all week with less then 20g and test using the ketostix and its only beige not pink or purple at all! I don't understand what I am doing wrong. I am eating very clean meat, cheese and eggs. I read the lables to avoid sugar yet I cannot seem to get in Ketosis. Any advice?
NP8559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #8

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
sugar is a bad thing, worse than carbs in general, but when your overall carb level is that low, I wouldn't overly worry about it. EXCEPT it mostly means processed foods. it's better not to eat too much of those if possible. good luck!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AthenaDeMenthe
Yes, the deli!
AthenaDeMenthe is offline   Reply With Quote