Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Induction (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/)
-   -   Induction folks should get back to basics (long) (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/748585-induction-folks-should-get-back-basics-long.html)

BigGuy54 12-09-2011 08:36 AM

Induction folks should get back to basics (long)

Over the years, I have noticed a theme in the posts about people having problems losing while on Atkins induction: many people who are not losing or who are gaining weight are toeing the line on what they consider acceptable foods (eating tons of cheese, cream, low-carb processed foods, etc.) Recently I went on a LONG stall (I知 staying on induction until goal) and I had to take a step back and look at exactly what I was putting into my body. I noticed I had slowly started eating more heavy whipping cream, more nuts, more jerky and other processed meats, more cheese, etc. I was under 20 carbs, but being under 20 carbs for the day is not the only rule for Atkins induction. Now that the Atkins plan is readily available for free online, I highly recommend that people starting or returning to induction review the rules and not just go buy whatever information they hear in passing. Now I try as hard as I can to follow these rules, in addition to the 20 carb rule:

-No nuts of any kind
-No more than 2 TBSP heavy whipping cream
-Use only REAL butter
-No processed meats (almost all processed meats that I have seen have corn syrup, dextrose, etc., even though the package says 0 carbs)
-No more than 3-4 oz of cheese
-I only eat bunless fast food burgers if they post the ingredients on their website and the beef contains nothing other than beef, salt, and/or pepper
-Nothing that has any type of sugar in the ingredients list, regardless of the number of carbs posted on the package
-No seasoning that contains sugar, regardless of the carbs (I recently discovered that flavoring meat with just cumin tastes almost exactly like sugar-filled taco seasoning you buy in the store)

The first week I did this I broke my stall and lost 6.1 lbs - hope this helps!

adillenal 12-09-2011 08:59 AM

I agree 100%

Gabinator 12-09-2011 10:53 AM

That's a great reminder !

jijane21 12-09-2011 12:19 PM

I need to do this!

Wendy T 12-09-2011 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigGuy54 (Post 15237472)
Over the years, I have noticed a theme in the posts about people having problems losing while on Atkins induction: many people who are not losing or who are gaining weight are toeing the line on what they consider acceptable foods (eating tons of cheese, cream, low-carb processed foods, etc.) Recently I went on a LONG stall (I知 staying on induction until goal) and I had to take a step back and look at exactly what I was putting into my body. I noticed I had slowly started eating more heavy whipping cream, more nuts, more jerky and other processed meats, more cheese, etc. I was under 20 carbs, but being under 20 carbs for the day is not the only rule for Atkins induction. Now that the Atkins plan is readily available for free online, I highly recommend that people starting or returning to induction review the rules and not just go buy whatever information they hear in passing. Now I try as hard as I can to follow these rules, in addition to the 20 carb rule:

-No nuts of any kind
-Use only REAL butter
-No processed meats (almost all processed meats that I have seen have corn syrup, dextrose, etc., even though the package says 0 carbs)
-I only eat bunless fast food burgers if they post the ingredients on their website and the beef contains nothing other than beef, salt, and/or pepper
-Nothing that has any type of sugar in the ingredients list, regardless of the number of carbs posted on the package
-No seasoning that contains sugar, regardless of the carbs (I recently discovered that flavoring meat with just cumin tastes almost exactly like sugar-filled taco seasoning you buy in the store)

:goodpost::goodpost:

pinkswan 12-09-2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

-No nuts of any kind
-Use only REAL butter

Excellent post and congrats on breaking your stall.:goodpost:

BigGuy54 12-09-2011 02:30 PM

I think a big key to success on induction is to keep it simple. If you have to ask the question "is this OK on induction?", it probably isn't or is only going to slow your loss. Simplicity might be boring, but use lots of sugar free seasonings, make sure you eat enough fat, and you should have good tasting food and feel satisfied.

Now it's time to go home and make a pan full of beef, eggs, and some mayo on top.:D

pinkswan 12-09-2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigGuy54 (Post 15238188)

Now it's time to go home and make a pan full of beef, eggs, and some mayo on top.:D

If this were my meal I would skip the mayo and put the allowed half an avocado on top. :) Mayo can have sugar in it.

LCWizard 12-09-2011 04:56 PM

WTG on breaking that stall Big Guy!

Madger 12-09-2011 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigGuy54 (Post 15238188)
I think a big key to success on induction is to keep it simple. If you have to ask the question "is this OK on induction?", it probably isn't or is only going to slow your loss. Simplicity might be boring, but use lots of sugar free seasonings, make sure you eat enough fat, and you should have good tasting food and feel satisfied.

Good thread!! I keep it simple too... On Sundays I put a roast in the crock pot with salt/pepper and that will be lunch through out the week and for dinners, I bake chicken thighs or grill steak... it doesn't get any simpler or easier!

I found my stalls were HWC, pistachios and cream cheese.

I agree with keeping it simple and sticking to the basics.

Charcutier 12-09-2011 09:08 PM

Quote:

being under 20 carbs for the day is not the only rule for Atkins induction. Now that the Atkins plan is readily available for free online, I highly recommend that people starting or returning to induction review the rules and not just go buy whatever information they hear in passing. Now I try as hard as I can to follow these rules, in addition to the 20 carb rule:

-No nuts of any kind
-Use only REAL butter
-No seasoning that contains sugar, regardless of the carbs

THIS. Ohhhhhhh, so so This.

I just had the same epiphany this week and am in the process of getting myself back onto REAL Induction. Which for me includes:
-No sweeteners (not everyone has to do this, but I find I do if I want to get back on track)
-No green olives, either, even though they're allowed
-Easy on the salad dressing, and NO SUGAR in the ingredients. Prefer leafy green vegetables.
-No bacon - not even the stuff I make myself.

I've been wondering why I haven't been losing lately, even though I re-inducted. And then I realized I was practically drinking cream, eating brie every day, eating more nuts than I should, eating at least 3 different kinds of cheese every day, drinking Hood Calorie Countdown milk by the glass... Yeah. I totally lost track of the carbs.

Le sighhhhhhh...

priori 12-09-2011 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkswan (Post 15238210)
If this were my meal I would skip the mayo and put the allowed half an avocado on top. :) Mayo can have sugar in it.

There are several brands that do not.

Charcutier 12-09-2011 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by priori (Post 15238875)
There are several brands [of mayo] that do not [have sugar in them].

Including my own homemade. If you have a blender or a food processor, you have a mayonnaise maker. And that way you KNOW what's in there.

pinkswan 12-09-2011 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charcutier (Post 15238880)
Including my own homemade. If you have a blender or a food processor, you have a mayonnaise maker. And that way you KNOW what's in there.

I agree. I made my own when I needed it up until my blender broke down. Now I just slather butter on my meat.

MichelleM 12-10-2011 04:48 AM

GREAT POST! DUkes mayo is the BEST. No sugar.

clackley 12-10-2011 06:35 AM

Quote:

-No nuts of any kind
-Use only REAL butter

Really good message here Bigguy and congrats on breaking your stall! Awesome and I am one who needs to hear stalls get broken even if they are longgggg!!:D

Carb creep can be a constant challenge. I think that in general, weighing and measuring can be an effective defense. It has become 2nd nature for me. Another is to plan your menu ahead regularly to keep things in line.

Unfortunately, some stalls persist despite careful planning and all. It is great that you were able to overcome your stall. KUTGW!!:D

rsmorales 12-10-2011 06:19 PM

Eliminating cheese, hwc, artificial sweeteners and focusing more on food quality has helped me immensely also! Cheese was showing up in every meal and not digesting properly.

I now only eat meat, fish, poultry, veggies, berries, and healthy fats. I also started using coconut oil a lot more. I try to eat local/organic fruits and veggies, as well as grassfed/wild/pastured/free range/oranic meats and fish.

It's helped a ton--especially in term of my skin! I'm acne-free now.

I also, due to eliminating sweeteners, no longer drink diet sodas. I only have water and tea. Im sleeping a lot better and losing much more easily.

Congrats on your breaking your stall, and best of luck!! :) Thanks for putting the word out.

(I also stopped eating out and now eat homecooked meals 95% of the time)

dasiey 12-10-2011 06:31 PM

Thank you Bigguy......

Atkins Chick 12-10-2011 09:30 PM

Wow, I thought I was on Induction and Im breaking about 4 of the rules! Its amazing how you get away from it.. thanks for posting.

Kateee 12-11-2011 05:35 AM

:goodpost: BigGuy

:high5: Congradulations on breaking that stall :jumpjoy:

Jaiyce 12-14-2011 10:49 PM

No nuts at all? I thought I saw after the first two weeks to add them...I am on day 24 as was planning to add them next week...thank you for the heads up!

Charcutier 12-15-2011 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaiyce (Post 15250288)
No nuts at all? I thought I saw after the first two weeks to add them...I am on day 24 as was planning to add them next week...thank you for the heads up!

BigGuy is talking about Induction. Induction is the first two weeks.

Linda1960 12-15-2011 08:18 AM

Yes, I am also on induction, and will remain on induction for a long time, so even if you are past the two weeks, and you want to remain on "induction" then you HAVE to follow the rules, which does not allow nuts, etc. to be added in. Once you have added in nuts, and other things NOT on the induction list, you are NO LONGER on induction.

That was a great post Bigguy! It really is easy to fall into the syndrome of "carb creep"........(sounds like a disease, doesn't it?!?!?!? :rofl:) I have been guilty of carb creep many times along the way, and I have to stop myself, re-focus, and re-read portions of my DANDR book to get myself back to the basics! And THAT usually breaks my stall! And if THAT doesn't work, then I have to tighten a little bit more, and cut back on the second salad and the serving of veggies, and THEN the weight will start to drop again! I usually have to keep my carb count under 10g/day, or I start to gain weight! I am very sensitive to carbohydrates. Unfortunately, I can not go over 10g a day as a general rule, and still lose weight! Once in a while, I can creep up to 20g, without being derailed, but I cannot do that everyday without seeing the scale go up, unfortunately!

Another thing, is that I have to stick with the older versions of Atkins (between the 1972 version and the DANDR version). I cannot follow the "newer" concept of the Atkins diet by using the shakes and bars and all those other processed products that are advertised by the current Atkins company. If I use that stuff, I gain! Some people can follow that plan and do well, but others like myself, REALLY have to pay attention to sticking with basic, whole foods (meat, eggs, limited cheese, limited cream, and LIMITED LETTUCE AND VEGGIES...........if I overdo the veggies, I can ACTUALLY GAIN, believe it or not)!:eek:

So, I think everyone is different, and we need to pay attention to our own individual bodies, and how they react. But the bottom line, is: if you want to stay on induction, then you need to ONLY eat the foods on the INDUCTION LIST! If it's NOT on the list, then it's NOT allowed!

Thanks for your post! It was enlightening! :cool:

Edwards20 12-16-2011 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linda1960 (Post 15251186)

So, I think everyone is different, and we need to pay attention to our own individual bodies, and how they react. But the bottom line, is: if you want to stay on induction, then you need to ONLY eat the foods on the INDUCTION LIST! If it's NOT on the list, then it's NOT allowed!

I so needed to hear this again. Thank you!

pawleys14 12-27-2011 05:35 AM

wow everyone...such good advice...... and I will be following all of them....

vaatje 12-28-2011 06:29 AM

Thank you for these reminders! I know that for me cheese is my stall. I LOVE all kinds of cheese and it's easy to overeat. Easier to stay on track if I just don't even start!

cookwithme65 12-29-2011 02:23 PM

Thanks for sharing

Very good advice. Congrats on breaking your stall!

Annabel Lee 12-29-2011 03:07 PM

Quote:

-No nuts of any kind
-Use only REAL butter

Thanks so much for this BigGuy.
I have been stalling.
this is just what I needed to hear.

NewLeeLee2012 01-08-2012 02:49 PM

I'm new to the site and just beginning. I did Atkins some years back and was successful. I would like to start again and the post regarding the Induction phase was a great reminder. I'm looking forward to a new year with a healthy start.

payFE 01-08-2012 05:35 PM

Great!

I've been a very bad girl! lol