Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 08:05 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Linda1960
Stats: 246/201.2/145
WOE: Atkin's Low-Carb WOE
Start Date: Restarted at 205 lbs/Highest wt: 246
HOW OFTEN DO YOU WEIGH YOURSELF?

Years ago, when I lost 70 lbs on Atkins, I weighed in only once a month. I did that because I didn't want to get discouraged with the "small gains" and plateaus that would happen, here and there throughout the month, which could cause me to sabotage myself and go off plan because of it!

I found my once-a-month weigh-in to be very fulfilling and uplifting, because I always showed some sort of a loss each month, (without even realizing there were some gains along the way).

I just started Atkin's Induction last Thursday, but for some reason, I am obsessed with the scale this time around. I have lost a few pounds, (from 205 to 201.8 in 4 days) which is outstanding for me.........but I weighed in each and every day, and I lose one day, then gain the next, and lose again, then gain again, and so on!!!!! When I gain, I get so frustrated and discouraged.

Dr. Atkin's suggests not weighing ourselves until two weeks of induction is complete. Then only weighing ourselves once a month! Perhaps he was trying to warn us that weighing in everyday is not wise, as our bodies fluctuate and so does our weight!

I'm thinking of ditching the scale after my two-week induction, and then only weighing in once a month! What works for you?

Feb 1998 - 246 lbs.-Highest weight Pre-Atkins. Lost 70 lbs on low-carb, and kept it off for years. Then gained some back when I stopped doing low-carb). I'm baaaaack!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2011, 08:31 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Blondie15
Stats: 230/224/150
WOE: Low Carbs/ Tend toward Paleo
Start Date: August 2013
I find it's easier psychologically, to stay off the scale... and not weigh everyday. Some people feel it keeps them accountable, but if you are following Dr. Atkin's plan carefully, there is no reason why you can't limit your scale activity. Once a month is good, sometimes twice a month I will check in. It depends on whether seeing a gain will upset you or not. It definitely upsets me, so I measure weekly, and stay off the scale for the most part.
Blondie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Linda1960
Stats: 246/201.2/145
WOE: Atkin's Low-Carb WOE
Start Date: Restarted at 205 lbs/Highest wt: 246
Thanks for your reply. I think I might do that again also!

With just starting on induction, I think I was just curious to see if it is going to work..... ...........but once I hit my two-week induction mark, and do my two-week weigh in, I think I will put the scale away for a while.

I think I will be better off that way. My weight fluctuates too much!
Linda1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Meg2039
Stats: 218/178.5/150
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: 11/2/13
Same for me. I have been guilty of weighing daily (or more often) in the past and making myself crazy. As part of my "by the book" mission, I am planning to weigh after 2 weeks of induction, and then after that, monthly...
Meg2039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:11 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: myluvbugg
Stats: 359.4/313.5/200
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 12/13/10 (starting again, and again), 11/2/11 agai
oh, well I am psycho, but I weigh myself twice a day - one in the morning and once in the evening - usually before bed - i can tell how I did during the day - its not as low as my morning weight, but I know if it is more than 4 pounds from the morning weight, something went wrong.
I really shouldn't do it, cause if it is too high at night, I get upset, but I can't help myself.
I tried doing it once a week - just doesn't work, I either need the motivation of the Kick in the "butt" to keep me motivated.
myluvbugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:05 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: pawleys14
Stats: 305/277.8/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarting August 11, 2013
I weight myself when I go to my health club to do my water aerobics.... and sometimes I go there 4 or 5 times a week... but I HAVE to weight myself when I am there just the way I am....
pawleys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:50 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: juhanna
Stats: 197/184/122
WOE: atkins induction
Start Date: 6th August 2012
Usually hardly ever, I just try and avoid them as much as possible, but hence I started Atkins, been a bit obsessed and I have to say it's not helping

The the other day I measured and I had gained 1 lb OMG (really seariously what is that lol, could even had been that I haven't visit the loo or something )

But because of that 1lb I was so strict with myself that I made sure I stay well under 20g (I calculated 16g in all for yesterday) And this morning when I woke up I had lost 2lb. But instead of getting back to routine it made me feel I don't wanna' eat in case I put the 2 lbs back Well I told myself off and put few eggs to boil to make my morning salad... just about to have my breakfast..

But yes have to cut down my obsession with the scale once in 2 weeks sounds reasonable..
juhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:52 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Susannaj4
Stats: 191/183/145 5'9"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Nov 9,2011--Again
I weigh myself at different timed of the day all day long. I know sounds crazy, but if I can't weigh myself first thing in the morning, I know based on what I weighed yesterday around the same time what I should weigh today. That tells me how I'm doing, along with other signs taht I'm in Ketosis.

You gain weight during the day, so DON"T feel bad if it weight at 7am and the scale says 180(for example) and then again at 10am And tht scale says 182. It's ok. You didn't gain 2 lbs. you ate, you moved. Go with the first one and be happy.

You will be able to tell soon enough how much you weigh during the day and how many pound up the scale goes during the day to tell you actual weight. My number used to be 5 pounds. I'm still trying to tell this time but I think it's4. So if I weighed at night, I'd know to subtract 4 pounds.
Susannaj4 is offline   Reply With Quote