Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CindyF
Stats: 154/144/129
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 30, 2012
Phase 1 snack suggestions

Ok, this is not my first Atkins run. It is the only diet that has ever worked for me. However, it has been about five years since I did it. At that time you could find low carb everything made by Carb Options and Carb Smart that have been discontinued.

I am starting on Monday the 10th, and I am trying to plan ahead. I guess psych myself up.

I need suggestions on phase 1 snacks and lunch. I don't eat eggs, so for breakfast I would always do bacon and tomato slices. (I love my snacks of homestyle low butter popcorn with hot sauce that I will have to give up.) I had some thoughts of cucumber slices with hummus for snacks. I used to eat alot of steak salads for lunch.

What do you think about the cucumber and hummus? What other munchy snacks do you suggest? Thanks!!!!

Last edited by CindyF; 04-04-2011 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: misspelled word
CindyF is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2011, 08:02 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ddailey320
Stats: depressed/progressing/HAPPY
Laughing cow cheese w/ celery
Sf jello
Rolled up deli meat
Avocado (I add some salsa ranch dressing for a spicy veggie dip)
Warm Almond milk with davinci chai syrup
Cheese sticks/ pepperoni
I recently rediscovered humus and love it with veggies!

I do IF, so not really a snacker, but I'm sure others will chime in! Good luck
ddailey320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
I LOVE hummus... very healthy.... BUT, if you are doing Atkins Phase 1, I dont think chickpeas (a legume) would be allowed. Baba ganoush (pureed eggplant with tahini) would be however.

I have been really enjoying kale chips, esp the latest variation with parmesan.

I also love homemade pickles (cucumbers or pickled cauliflower or carrots)

Avocado is very phase 1 friendly if you want to make guacamole. I just eat it with a fork! I also love fresh pico de gallo.

I've also been eating spinach dip with jicama slices as a dipper. The crispy jicama has that same crunch as (slightly higher carb) water chestnuts that traditionally go into spinach dip. Red pepper slices are also really good with it.

For lunch, I really like putting various sandwich fixings into lettuce wraps and rolling them up like Jimmy Johns does.

Last edited by Strawberry; 04-04-2011 at 08:24 PM..
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:54 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sarah_elle
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: March 2011
I like to take a slice of pepper jack cheese, cut it into 3-4 pieces and wrap ham or turkey around it. Yummy and filling!
sarah_elle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:19 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: starry sky
string cheese or cheese cubes
fresh veggies with ranch or blue cheese
chicken wings!
leftover steak or chicken, cut into strips for finger food
pork rinds
make a sandwich without the bread
starry sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:49 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lisahere
Stats: 298/170/150
WOE: Clean Atkins:)
Start Date: May 2003
welcome and yes- unfort. no hummus in phase 1
you will get there so keep it for a treat later on...

if you get a chance, read Dr. A.'s book....

otherwise....enjoy some protein and fat and get losing
Lisahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:57 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Taxbane
Stats: LBS:215/171/160- - -BF%: 35+/20/11
WOE: 1650 kcals (55 NC/160P/88F) Str Train x2 Wk.
Start Date: December 2010
How many net carbs is your target? Don't forget to use most of them on healthy veggis.

That said, I did Protein Power,starting at phase II (55 Carbs) and been eating the following for "snacks."

Pork Rinds = ZERO Carbs
Almonds (Salted, Cocoa, Cinnamon) (3 Net)
True North Nut Clusters (6 Net)
Lindt Dark Chocolate 90% Cocoa 1 Square (2-3 Net)
Cape Cod White Cheddar Pop Corn (1 Cup) (5 Net)
4 Oz. V8 Low Sodium (6 Net) (600mg Potassium too!)
Edamamew/salt (6 Net)
ChocoDreams Chocolate Pnutbutter 1 TBSP (5 Net)
Zevia Soda (All Natural sweetners) (ZERO Net)
Taxbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:32 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mom2AYorkie
Stats: 250/195/165 , 27 years old
WOE: LC
Start Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyF View Post
Ok, this is not my first Atkins run. It is the only diet that has ever worked for me. However, it has been about five years since I did it. At that time you could find low carb everything made by Carb Options and Carb Smart that have been discontinued.

I am starting on Monday the 10th, and I am trying to plan ahead. I guess psych myself up.

I need suggestions on phase 1 snacks and lunch. I don't eat eggs, so for breakfast I would always do bacon and tomato slices. (I love my snacks of homestyle low butter popcorn with hot sauce that I will have to give up.) I had some thoughts of cucumber slices with hummus for snacks. I used to eat alot of steak salads for lunch.

What do you think about the cucumber and hummus? What other munchy snacks do you suggest? Thanks!!!!

Steak salads sound awesome, love those.
- any kind of leftover meats, really. Leftover chicken breast can be made into chicken salad, for example
- I love to take broccoli and fry it up in some olive oil and sprinkle with pepper and oregano
- cheese (I love babybels, esp on the go bc they are packaged so well) - although I try not to snack on cheese because dairy sometimes bothers my GI
- tuna salad on celery, or plain (I let it sit in the fridge for a day after I mix it so it doesnt taste fishy)
- if you can handle the cheese, skillet pizza. Its one of Linda's recipes, and super easy to make: in a nonstick skillet, put a small handful of shredded mozz, and sprinkle w/shaker italian or pizza seasoning, and when it starts to melt, add toppings like mushrooms or pepperoni. I wait until the cheese is dark brown on the underside and then slide it onto a plate and slice. Super delish. I can eat this as a meal, in fact and it tastes exactly like pizza w/a crunchy thin "crust"
- cut up veggies
- turkey and cheese roll-ups wrapped around a dill pickle spear

just a few but I HTH!

“You are the embodiment of the information you choose to accept and act upon. To change your circumstances you need to change your thinking and subsequent actions.”

"Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try.”

BMR = 1503.95
Mom2AYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
egg salad with pepper strips to dip it up
once every other week I cook frozen bone in turkey breast upside down in crockpot and get several days of snacking turkey out of it without any weird deli add ins. Just take meat off the bone and throw the carcass away in a couple minutes. I love cold turkey breast with sea salt. I pack containers to take to work or snack on.
bacon and tomato and avocado (or guac or mayo) wrapped in lettuce leaves
greek yogurt with barlean's omega swirls in (so good and you need the bacteria and omegas)
portioned out flavored almonds in snack size baggies or containers (otherwise I think I could eat my body weight in nuts)
homemade coconut flour brownies or muffins
homemade chicken breast pate in celery sticks
Old 04-05-2011, 06:13 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Thank you!

This forum is great!!! Thank you for all of your suggestions! I will keep you all posted on how it goes next week!
Old 04-05-2011, 06:16 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Greek Yogurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_lou_who View Post
egg salad with pepper strips to dip it up
once every other week I cook frozen bone in turkey breast upside down in crockpot and get several days of snacking turkey out of it without any weird deli add ins. Just take meat off the bone and throw the carcass away in a couple minutes. I love cold turkey breast with sea salt. I pack containers to take to work or snack on.
bacon and tomato and avocado (or guac or mayo) wrapped in lettuce leaves
greek yogurt with barlean's omega swirls in (so good and you need the bacteria and omegas)
portioned out flavored almonds in snack size baggies or containers (otherwise I think I could eat my body weight in nuts)
homemade coconut flour brownies or muffins
homemade chicken breast pate in celery sticks
What kind of Greek yogurt do you suggest? I have some in my fridge right now, but it shows 23 carbs with 0 df. Is there a brand that fits better in this diet?

And how do you make your chicken breast pate? That sounds like a wonderful ide to replace hummus for the time being!
Old 04-05-2011, 06:20 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

steak salad & eating out options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2AYorkie View Post
Steak salads sound awesome, love those.
- any kind of leftover meats, really. Leftover chicken breast can be made into chicken salad, for example
- I love to take broccoli and fry it up in some olive oil and sprinkle with pepper and oregano
- cheese (I love babybels, esp on the go bc they are packaged so well) - although I try not to snack on cheese because dairy sometimes bothers my GI
- tuna salad on celery, or plain (I let it sit in the fridge for a day after I mix it so it doesnt taste fishy)
- if you can handle the cheese, skillet pizza. Its one of Linda's recipes, and super easy to make: in a nonstick skillet, put a small handful of shredded mozz, and sprinkle w/shaker italian or pizza seasoning, and when it starts to melt, add toppings like mushrooms or pepperoni. I wait until the cheese is dark brown on the underside and then slide it onto a plate and slice. Super delish. I can eat this as a meal, in fact and it tastes exactly like pizza w/a crunchy thin "crust"
- cut up veggies
- turkey and cheese roll-ups wrapped around a dill pickle spear

just a few but I HTH!
When on the go, Longhorn has a 7 pepper steak salad that is covered in blue cheese! It is FABULOUS with Blue Cheese dressing and fits right in on the Atkins. I also used to get Fajitas from Chilis without the tortillas. It is great too. Later on you can even use the wheat tortillas after you up the carbs.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:22 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
I LOVE hummus... very healthy.... BUT, if you are doing Atkins Phase 1, I dont think chickpeas (a legume) would be allowed. Baba ganoush (pureed eggplant with tahini) would be however.

I have been really enjoying kale chips, esp the latest variation with parmesan.

I also love homemade pickles (cucumbers or pickled cauliflower or carrots)

Avocado is very phase 1 friendly if you want to make guacamole. I just eat it with a fork! I also love fresh pico de gallo.

I've also been eating spinach dip with jicama slices as a dipper. The crispy jicama has that same crunch as (slightly higher carb) water chestnuts that traditionally go into spinach dip. Red pepper slices are also really good with it.

For lunch, I really like putting various sandwich fixings into lettuce wraps and rolling them up like Jimmy Johns does.
I will have to check out Jimmy Johns. We have one downtown where I work. So they have lettuce wraps?
Old 04-05-2011, 07:28 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Brunette
WOE: low carb
Hello..

B Lou Who

Could you share your recipes for coconut flour brownies and muffins?

I just bought coconut flour...and would love to have some recipes.

Thanks..

Jane
Brunette is offline   Reply With Quote