Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 03:09 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jojimah
Stats: 173/164/140
WOE: atkins
Start Date: March 4th, 2011
Cheating during induction - Do I start over?

Hey, so I'm new to this forum and Aktins. Currently I am in nursing school, and boy do the pounds just come on! It was only last quarter that I gained 13lbs! Yikes! I started Atkins about 2 weeks ago and I have lost about 10lbs. The problem is I have been cheating this whole time and I didn't even realize it! I have been having a lot of caffeine (either a low carb monster or a cup of coffee with splenda) almost everyday. I went to a friends party and they literally made me eat cake.

1st - Now that I've "cheated" do I start the induction phase over again, starting at day 1? I eat a lot of cheese, eggs, beef, chicken, some sour cream, mayonnaise, and leafy greens. Occasionally I will have some peanut butter. Any words of advice concerning my diet?

2nd - As far as exercise is concerned, I try to get in at least 45 min of cardio, 5 -6 days a week. Is this too much?

3rd - I start school again in a few days and the program I am in requires long hours of studying. Is it realistic to stay on atkins, lose weight, AND make As?! It just does not seem realistic at all.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
- jojii
Jojimah is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2011, 10:05 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: camel?
Stats: 194/165/159
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 2009
Welcome!

Just a quick note about caffeine:
In the new book coffee/caffeine is allowed. It was not allowed in previous books, but they found that it didn't interfere with weight loss like they thought. (I think the culprit was citric acid found in soda pop that also had caffeine in it so it threw the results off).

As far as blood sugar is concerned, a cup or two of coffee a day has been shown to help blood sugar, but coffee in large amounts - over 3-4 cups has been shown to affect blood sugar adversely.

I think in the new book it says, if caffeine/coffee causes you to have blood sugar issues - ie. cravings, hunger -- then cut it out. Otherwise, its ok.

About your off plan cake -- just pick up and keep going. It will probably take 3-4 days for your body to clear out the sugar and water weight retention from the cake. Just know that you may have more cravings/hunger in the next few days.

The best way to recover is to eat very "clean" for 3-4 days -- whole, induction friendly foods and water -- no "frankenfoods" and careful to stick to induction foods like fresh meats (processed meat has fillers and lots of salt), veggies, fats.

Exercise is great for your health. If you feel ok doing it, then go ahead. Some feel more tired/weak during induction, and the book recommends walking for exercise. But if you feel ok doing the cardio, then go ahead.

Make sure you are hydrated and getting your electrolytes as induction is diretic. ie; drink broth. Avacado has lots of potassium.

Is it realistic to stay on atkins, lose weight, AND make As?! -- I don't understand this question?

Another thought, you mention "a lot of cheese.... sour cream... peanut butter"
Too much cheese/dairy is a risk for stalling. Induction stipulates 3-4 oz cheese per day (weigh or measure to make sure you're not over. one ounce of cheese is 1 inch x 1 inch cube). Also, sour cream is limited to 1 oz per day - that's one rounded tablespoon.

Peanut butter is not induction friendly, it is technically a legume which is rung 5 of OWL.

After your 2 week induction a maybe better choice would be almond butter or other nut butter, which is rung 3.

Best wishes for your success!
camel? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jaded62
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
OK. i agree with what camel said. I also think you need to watch the dairy and Peanut butter.If you need coffee drink it. Also remember to drink water.I have to drink a gallon of water a day to lose.Now, that is just me. Most people drink half their body weight in ounces.Say, you weigh 200 pounds,you need to drink 100 ounces a day.I know what you mean about school and Atkins,I think.You have to study very hard and don`t have time to prepare foods?? If this is it,i know how to help you.I did atkins and went to school,too. I bought cheese sticks,made meat rollups,ate pepperoni,made salads and took leftovers.I would get a buger and take off the bun,2 or 3 mcdoubles and a side salad was a good lunch. I bought chicken strips and rotisserie chickens lean cusine makes a few LC dinners i ate those and a sald.I also ate and drank the atkins shakes and bars. NOW, these never gave me any problems with stalling.You have to figure out what works for you.I LOVE the vanilla atkins shakes I would have one for lunch or breakfast or sometimes both then eat a bigger dinner. I hope this helps you. Goood Luck !!!!!
Jaded62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
Hello and welcome! The other items appear to have been addressed already so I'll go for this one

Quote:
Is it realistic to stay on atkins, lose weight, AND make As?! It just does not seem realistic at all.
Yes. There are many people who do not exercise, or do not exercise much, and still lose weight by keeping their carbohydrates low. It might take a little longer (or it might not; exercise can also make a person eat more to make up for the calories burned during exercise). It might however require careful attention to what you're eating. If you can make the commitment to at least eat on plan, that shouldn't really take much time. It's when you're in a hurry and hungry that the quick microwave pizza and things like that sound appealing, and that just isn't going to work.

The diet is only an instrument; you have to want to use it. ... It is necessary for you to have respect for your body for you to use this tool [the Atkins' Diet]. It's the only body you'll be issued. You've got to spend the rest of your life in it. You must treat it like your greatest possession; you must become a kind of "health nut." -- Robert C. Atkins, M.D.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:04 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jojimah
Stats: 173/164/140
WOE: atkins
Start Date: March 4th, 2011
@ Camel? - what I mean by "Is it realistic to stay on atkins, lose weight, AND make As?!" is that sitting in class for hours, and then going home to study takes alot of "brain" power. When you are fatigued it's easy to cave into carbs/sugar. I suppose I am just afraid that I'll be so overrun and tired that I give up in order to have enough energy to make good grades.

@ Jaded - Thanks for the ideas. I am going to prepare some meals in advance to freeze.
Jojimah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:30 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: camel?
Stats: 194/165/159
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojimah View Post
@ Camel? - what I mean by "Is it realistic to stay on atkins, lose weight, AND make As?!" is that sitting in class for hours, and then going home to study takes alot of "brain" power. When you are fatigued it's easy to cave into carbs/sugar. I suppose I am just afraid that I'll be so overrun and tired that I give up in order to have enough energy to make good grades.
Ah, I see!

My favorite meals after a long hard day and I'm tired and need comfort food:

Buy a bag of shredded cabbage and ground beef -
sautee some ground beef, a little garlic and a handful of shredded cabbage.
add butter, salt and pepper. It tastes so much better than it sounds and is very comforting -- and I don't even like cabbage!

Or scramble some eggs with some cheese and a tablespoon or two of salsa.

I agree with the idea to have premade meals in the freezer, and lots of snacks handy. When I'm stressed/tired sometimes lots of small meals helps me keep going throughout the day better than 3 big meals.

Wishing you much success!
camel? is offline   Reply With Quote