Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ceegul
Gin and Tonic

I'm a huge Gin and Tonic drinker, or I was before Induction
Now I'm wondering if I can have a drink or 2 a week. I read that Gin has no carbs, and if I could find some sort of mixer that was also carb free, would it be okay to indulge once or twice a week? What effects, if any, does carb free alcohol have on an induction diet?
Ceegul is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jrudq
Stats: 165/146/135
WOE: 5:2 now JUDDD
Start Date: June 2013
One of the biggest issues I have with induction is the no alcohol thing. I have compromised, but it ain't perfect. I eliminated wine (with great sadness) and only allow myself vodka (gin would work) with a diet mixer (I LOVE LOVE diet squirt). The compromise is, I am not losing period. I may or may not lose weight the one or two nights I have a cocktail, but then again, without the cocktail I may just throw my hands in the air and say I am done and eat as many french fries as I can! What I have found is that with the right food, I still remain in ketosis, even having one drink.
Now, if someone can please explain how I can be in ketosis and not lose weight, that would be a whole different thing!

It is really about your desire to lose. If you are burning the booze calories, you aren't burning those fat calories...

Cheers!
jrudq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Lisa M
WOE: Modified Atkins
You can easily find diet tonic in the stores but I've never seen it in restaurants and bars. Regular tonic has the same carbs as regular soda.
Lisa M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: camel?
Stats: 194/165/159
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 2009
It is recommended that a person not drink any alcohol during the first 2 weeks of induction. This really helps jumpstart weightloss and helps your body detox from sugar and related cravings.

It says on the Atkins site that you can add back alcohol after the first two weeks. After that, it might be something to cut out or cut back on if you stop losing weight.

I love a gin and diet tonic once in a while!
camel? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:10 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kisha
Stats: Early Pregnancy & Diabetes
WOE: Low Carb Nutrition
Start Date: Due date: November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrudq View Post
One of the biggest issues I have with induction is the no alcohol thing. I have compromised, but it ain't perfect. I eliminated wine (with great sadness) and only allow myself vodka (gin would work) with a diet mixer (I LOVE LOVE diet squirt). The compromise is, I am not losing period. I may or may not lose weight the one or two nights I have a cocktail, but then again, without the cocktail I may just throw my hands in the air and say I am done and eat as many french fries as I can! What I have found is that with the right food, I still remain in ketosis, even having one drink.
Now, if someone can please explain how I can be in ketosis and not lose weight, that would be a whole different thing!

It is really about your desire to lose. If you are burning the booze calories, you aren't burning those fat calories...

Cheers!
My understanding is that you can be in ketosis and not lose body weight. If your eating more calories than your body needs. The proof is when I am in ketosis I check my test strips after a fair protein/fats meal. Sure enough my ketosis test strips turn brighter than in the morning before I've eaten anything at all. Does that make sense?

Basically your body is burning your calories you've consumed first before it moves on to the fat stores.

The point of atkins is to not have the urge to consume as many calories as you once did. Or maybe more calories that you once did but since it has no sugar to burn first, it burns up the fat/protein you ate first. Making it easier to choose your fat stores when it's depleted the calories you've ingested!
Kisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: camel?
Stats: 194/165/159
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 2009
Your body has three sources of fuel, and it will use them up in this order:
1 Alcohol
2 Glucose
3 Fat

When you drink alcohol your body stops burning fat until it has burned up the alcohol first, then it goes back to fat.

If you can drink in moderation and still lose weight, great.

If you hit a stall or plateau, it may be time to cut back on the alcohol, or cut it out completely.
camel? is offline   Reply With Quote