Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: josh82
Perfecting the cauliflower pizza

I've been eating LC since April of 2010. Just recently I found this board and along with it, some great recipes. The one that stuck out the most was the Cauliflower pizza (i now can spell cauliflower without spell check!)

I first tried the pizza about 2 weeks ago. I had never in my life eating cauliflower, so I was not expecting anything special. This was the first time I had also 'riced' cauliflower. I was sitting at the store looking for 'riced' cauliflower in the frozen section ...

After the pizza came out, it was wonderful. The only thing was the crust was a little more gooy then I wanted. I could still kind of hold it in my hand, but it was real droopy. Other than that, I had no complaints. You couldn't taste any cauliflower (not that i knew what it tasted like).

Tonight I decided to try and perfect this pizza and get the crust solid. The changes I made this time were; #1 Dry the cauliflower off before ricing it and #2 bake for 25 minutes at 450 instead of 15. I actually baked till 15, 5 more minutes then watched till I thought it was going to burn and took it out.

I also made 4 small pizzas out of 2 cups of cauliflower, 2 eggs and 2 cups of mozzarella. This is double the original recipe that Cleo posted.

Here is the before:

http://c.imagehost.org/0650/IMAG0323.jpg

And the afterON MY SWEEET PLATES)

http://c.imagehost.org/0234/IMAG0324.jpg

And.... in my hand "holdability "

http://a.imagehost.org/0114/IMAG0326.jpg

cooking it longer does not seem to make THAT more solid. It is a whole lot gooyer however. I definitely suggest from now on drying off the cauliflower after cooking.

cooking it in 4 smaller pizzas helps out in the "holdability" because you now can just palm the little pizza and eat it that way instead of slicing it up and trying to hold a smaller piece of pizza.

I think i'll do the small 4 from now on. I do have to say, this is FARRRR from the consistency of regular pizza dough, but this is a GREAT substitute for pizza cravings!

I hope this helps!
josh82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bigflopman
Stats: 354/192/177
WOE: Reduced Carbohydrate Intake
Start Date: 1/07(354)
great post! I think it turned out similar when I made these too; I think that it was even better as leftover the next day I made it out of zucchini and it did help a ton by drying the veggies first... good job!
bigflopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Eilish99
WOE: Atkins
I'm reheating my last piece right now. This was a delicious recipe! I have my sheet pan heating in the oven, and am going to see if putting the cooked pizza on a hot pan crisps up the bottom a bit.

Eilish99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: arrintd
Stats: 143/140/118
WOE: Atkins-Induction
Start Date: 3/25/11
Those are some gorgeous pizzas!
arrintd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:12 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JayceeMN
Stats: 245/173.4/150
Start Date: Jan.5, 2004 restart FINALLY Jan 17, 2011
I made it tonight as well. (white sauce, chicken, bacon, and tomato)
I had a good result, but I think part of my luck was that I cooked it on a pizza stone, rather then a pan. Another thing I did was I boiled it the cauliflower, then riced it, and left it in a strainer over a bowl in the fridge all day.....it dried out rather nicely!
JayceeMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:24 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Is this an induction friendly meal? I bought the ingredients for it but I wasn't sure.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:31 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mom2AYorkie
Stats: 250/195/165 , 27 years old
WOE: LC
Start Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrintd View Post
Is this an induction friendly meal? I bought the ingredients for it but I wasn't sure.
The cauliflower does add some carbs, as does the cheese - what I usually make is skillet pizza (from Linda's recipes, of course) - just put a handful of shredded cheese on a medium heat non stick skillet, once it starts to melt, add toppings and italian shaker seasoning. I like to wait til the cheese is a dark brown on the underside, then slide off and slice. Delish!!!!!!!
Mom2AYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:09 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: travelista
Stats: 195/195/125
Start Date: April 8, 2011
i am going to have to look up both pizza recipes and try them out this week! looks delicious!
travelista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:38 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Just wanted to note, this pizza is awesome! I don't feel like I am missing out on a thing. My crust is not as pretty as yours though. I've made this dish twice already, not doubling the recipe but still getting 4 personal pizzas. Thank you thank you thank you for posting this.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:30 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mea'sMommy2
Stats: 300/286/200 (mini goal)
Start Date: 4/11/11
Ok... I have afew questions about this pizza!!! When you rice the cauliflower do you put it in a food processor or use a ricer. I have a foof processor and wanted to know if I just cut up the head of cauli. and put it in the processor, before I cook it or after I cook it?
Mea'sMommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:51 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: Me/LessOfMe/JustRight
WOE: LC/Under 20/40
Start Date: March 2013
I waited all day just for my first try at the cauli breadsticks....

They are a little softer than I wanted, I can't hold them but who on earth cares? LOLOL They are GOOOOOOD!
I think I was a little impatient in getting all the liquid out of the cauli but I did press it between coffee filters several times. If anyone has a really good way to get rid of the liquid, I'm all ears here
StyngerIsAScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:29 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SherBel
WOE: Atkins Induction-(esque)
Start Date: Feb 17, 2012
A good way to get liquid out of grated 'wet' foods is to use a clean linen or cotton tea towel. You'll want one with no nap, not a terrycloth type but a smooth type of cloth.

Lay the towel out on the counter, (or place it in a bowl) and pile the food in the middle. Then gather up the towel around the food and squeeeeeeeeze it into a smaller and smaller ball. Do this over the sink or the bowl; you can get lots of liquid out this way.
SherBel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:47 AM   #13
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/234/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
It's definitely crucial to dry out that cauliflower post cooking if you purchased the frozen and cooked it prior to processing/shredding. It's amazing how much water that vegetable holds. Letting the cooked pizzas rest about 5 minutes helps the cheese to solidify, making it easier to handle.

I love seeing the pictures!

Here's the recipe for the cauliflower pizza
in case anyone's not sure where it is.

Now try the stuffed crust version...

Tips
Recipe

Last edited by cleochatra; 04-15-2011 at 08:51 AM..
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:59 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MemoryKeeper
Stats: 233.5/153.5/133
WOE: Currently: JUDDDkins
Start Date: 10/18/2011
I enjoy this pizza very much as well. I like to double the recipe and put the entire "dough" into a large pan, it's half a sheet cake pan (11 x 15) and then I cut the finished dough into 8 pieces and freeze them individually. I never have fennel on hand but just use italian seasoning sprinkled on.

I like to bake it for about 30 minutes as well. I bake it at 400 because the parchment paper only goes up to 400.

I have tried multiple items, but parchment paper is the only thing that does not stick.

I love love love this recipe!

Last edited by MemoryKeeper; 04-15-2011 at 05:00 PM..
MemoryKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:05 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LilacBruze
Stats: WTH/???/175
WOE: hHCG Simeons Protocol
Start Date: 3/16/2014
I am in the process of perfecting the recipe I found online and tweaking it to our Chicago pizza standards.

I use 1 bag frozen cauliflower (defrosted) and after shredding it in the food processor, I microwave it for 4 minutes, then spread it out on a plate with paper towels. I go through about 10 paper towels but I drain, press, and squeeze as much moisture as possible out of it.

I add 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, 1.5 cups shredded mozzarella, 4 tsp italian seasoning, 1 TB minced garlic, and 1/3 cup egg beaters.

I spread out on a big cookie sheet (sprayed with Pam) and use a rolling pin to roll out pretty thin. Spraying the rolling pin with Pam keeps it from sticking to the pin, using a light touch helps as well.

I bake at 425 for 20 minutes and broil for 2-3 to get that center that never seems to want to crisp up a little more done.

I spread pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, pepperoni nuked for 30 seconds and drained, and sliced mushrooms. I broil for another 2-3 minutes until the cheese is melted on top. Hubby loves it and insists that I make it at least once a week!

Carb count varies with ingredients and sauce used. You should read the labels on the sauces especially because they can vary from 3 net carbs to as much as 9 or more!
LilacBruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: toeie
Stats: 198/196/130
Start Date: 1/27/14
I am going to try this tonight, not sure if I am going to do the stuffed crust or reg, but it looks yummy! How many pieces do you guys usually eat for a meal and how many carbs per slice? Don't want to go overboard on the carbs, but want to eat until I am full! Thanks
toeie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
In case anyone wants to try it, I prefer this pizza: Thin & Crispy Pizza Crust! Easiest EVER! Pics included!

I make the personal size version, and it's delicious.

Preheat oven to 450*

Mix one egg and one cup of grated or shredded cheese with some granulated garlic and Italian seasoning.

The cheese is your choice. Here I used a mix of mozzarella, parmesan, and an Italian cheese mix Kraft makes, but I've also used other combinations that were equally successful. I suggest at least two different cheeses, with one being at the higher end of the spectrum for fat content. That helps crisp it up.

The original recipe calls for a mix of two parts mozzarella to one part cheddar. There have been reports that using certain cheeses can make the crust too salty, so be aware of that when you're choosing.

Put it on a well-greased pan. Make sure you don't skimp on the grease. This is a glass pie plate I've liberally greased with coconut oil, but I've also used a silicone baking mat with good results.

Shape it into a flat round. Just keep patting it down down down until it's as flat as you can make it, but without holes. Bake for about 10 minutes on one side (longer for larger crust).

When you see it seems to be slightly brown on the edges, GENTLY use a spatula to release it from the bottom, and flip it over to bake some more. It should only take another few minutes, depending on your oven.

Finished. Remove from oven, and turn on your broiler.

Add toppings of your choice, and stick it into the broiler (or in my case, a cranked up oven) until the toppings are melted and bubbly.

*If you have used silicone baking mat for the baking, take it off for the final step; silicone is not rated safe for the broiler, or a 550* oven, which is what I used.

One personal size pepperoni and roasted red pepper pizza!

I used minimal mozzarella on top, since the crust has plenty of cheese. But I wanted to have some. Gotta have that melty mozz.

The crust is perfect for my preferences: crispy on the edges, but chewy in the middle. I can pick it up! It tasted delicious, better than some "normal" pizzas I've had. NOM!

Nutrition data for individual size crust and sauce. Adding toppings and minimal cheese doesn't do much to the calories or carb count.

I used Trader Joe's Three Cheese Pomodoro Pasta Sauce, which has 6g total carbs (4g net) and 80cals for a half cup serving. For a personal size pizza, I used under two tablespoons.

Just another option. It's induction friendly, if you're careful with the cheese amounts and don't have any more that day.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:38 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: pawleys14
Stats: 305/277.8/175
Start Date: restarting August 11, 2013
pawleys14 is offline   Reply With Quote