Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: milo_juniper
Stats: 150's/117g (5'3")
WOE: Stillman's for now
Your best Induction tips

I've been low carbing for the past couple of weeks as Induction practice, and I feel like next week is going to be my Induction start date. I can't wait! Even though I haven't been low carbing for long, and even though I haven't been doing it to the letter, I have already been rewarded with such great benefits (less food cravings, stable moods, more energy) that I can't wait to see what'll happen when I follow Atkins by the book.

What are some of the best tips/pieces of advice do you have for someone who is starting Induction for the first time?

Here are a few tips that have helped me so far:

1) When hungry...eat!

2) Eat meat! Meat makes me feel full quicker and longer than any other low carb food.

3) Minimize sweets. Drinking diet soda makes me want to drink more diet soda, which makes me want to drink some diet soda with a splash of heavy cream, which makes me want to scoop out some peanut butter from the jar, which makes me want to eat a low carb bar, etc. All of this snacking could have been avoided by eating some meat until I was full.

4) Have meat handy in case of a snack attack. Canned fish, cooked chicken, deli slices, pork rinds. When you snack on meat until you're full, you're not tempted by other low carb foods.

I learned all these tips in one day! I used to practice intermittent fasting (where you abstain from a few meals a couple times a week), and I thought I would continue to IF while low carbing. I got really hungry around lunch time, and decided to just wait it out until dinner time (My first mistake, shoulda followed Rule 1). When dinner time rolled around, I was having chicken & vegetables, but I wasn't patient enough to wait for it to finish cooking, so I snacked while I cooked. (My 2nd mistake, should have followed rules 2-4). I snacked on a bunch of non-meat foods because I started out snacking on sweet tasting foods because I didn't have any prepared meat handy.

What other tips do you have for staying on plan?
milo_juniper is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: misslowcarbdiva
Stats: 173/138/135
WOE: 72 Atkins
Start Date: Mid Nov (got serious)
Calories do count. Dont think because its low carb that you can eat as many calories as you want to! Use ******.com its a good source to track exactly what you eat. Like me, you may be surprised!
misslowcarbdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: VeeH
I have been on induction for a week and I have lost 6 lbs. (and I even had a semi-off-plan weekend). I would say keep a food journal--not just of what you ate, but how you feel afterward. Also, write before you think about snacking--even it's on low-carb food. Ask yourself if you're really hungry, or if it's something else you're trying to feed. This is working for me. I have a word doc as my journal, and I just type in a few sentences throughout the day (if I can). If I'm somewhere where I do not have computer access, I write long hand in a mini-journal that I keep in my handbag.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Vee
VeeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:37 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Jennyl
Start Date: manana
It really helps me if I shop beforehand and make sure to buy lots of foods that I love. I find the diet much easier to stick to when I am eating something that I really enjoy
Jennyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gleemonex
Stats: 159/159/133
WOE: super low-carb, vitamin B injections
Start Date: April 9, 2011
Be prepared! Have good stuff on hand, and clear out any non-LC food from the pantry. Friends or the food bank would love donations!

If you have a range of ok foods on hands, you're less likely to stray. And eat before you leave the house! It can be hard to find Induction-friendly stuff while out and about!

Good luck!
gleemonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:58 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: easwann
Stats: was 242lbs am 196 lbs
WOE: Peace, meat, water, and eggs!
Start Date: learning everyday
Quote:
Originally Posted by gleemonex View Post
Be prepared! Have good stuff on hand, and clear out any non-LC food from the pantry. Friends or the food bank would love donations!

If you have a range of ok foods on hands, you're less likely to stray. And eat before you leave the house! It can be hard to find Induction-friendly stuff while out and about!

Good luck!
This!!! If I dont plan ahead I inevitably get caught out ravenous without good choices available..
easwann is offline   Reply With Quote