Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2010, 07:33 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Phosis
Induction (Ketosis) Experiences

Just wanted to relay my own personal experience so far with being in ketosis for those who might be new to it, or otherwise.

I realized it has been awhile now since I started Ketosis. I started it back on the 19th of August. Cut out all carbohydrates, period. Now, to be quite honest, there were a couple of mistakes I made, like not properly counting carbs in certain foods, but I was lucky enough to be carb free everywhere ELSE so that these little things did not effect me.

The first day was miserable hell, in all honesty. I started out on a bad note the first few days by eating WAY too much food. I was eating all day long, and after a couple of days of that, realized I needed to be a lot more frugal because I was likely overconsuming calories. In the first two days, I started to feel really light headed, headachy, and my wife complained about how bad my breath was. On the fourth day, I cut my food down to a minimum.

About a week in some friends of ours took us out for a celebratory dinner. I knew I was in trouble, so I made the best of it; i ordered a small salad and chicken wings for dinner (unbreaded) with an ounce of whiskey to drink on the side. It wasn't the best choice, but it worked.

Started to notice about a week and a half in that my pants were looser, shirts were looser, and the sickness was dissipating; no more morning headaches, LOTS of energy throughout the day. Some days, I would have such intense dry mouth that it was almost unbearable, and would drink and pee all day long.

A couple of days ago, I realized it has been over two weeks since I started. Decided to go for another two weeks, since I am staying regular, and do not feel bad. Bought some ketostix two days ago, and when I used them, they told me I was in deep Ketosis. However, this was after not drinking much all day. Had a very diluted urination this morning (right after downing a bunch of water) and it told me I was medium. So even diluted, I am still showing to be in a strong state of ketosis.

Now, the unfortunate part for number crunchers, is that I am not weighing myself. I am using this as a kickstart, and will be weighing myself once the full month is over. Apart from ketosis, I have not actually eaten a grain in the last month, apart from a spoonfull of soup (literally, just one spook) that my wife made, which I mistakenly had before knowing she had added flour to the mix to thicken it up.

Cravings for carbs have dissipated completely. I literally don't care. I had lost my appetite the first week and a half, but it is back, although I do not feel really hungry throughout the day. I have not cheated except last night inadvertantly, and with the whiskey when we went out with our friends.

I would recommend this, the results are certainly showing; but beware, the first week is definitely not easy. You won't feel too hot, you will have mad cravings, and in my case, perhaps a case of diahhrea as well. After that, you feel fine, and in fact in my case, better than I ever have.

EDIT: As far as weight goes, when I started, I was probably about 250 lbs, give or take a few (but not much)

Last edited by Phosis; 09-03-2010 at 07:34 AM..
Phosis is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CP777
Stats: 168/139.7/128
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 2001 (on and off)
That's great!! Keep going!!

I hate the bad breath though! Wish I had some solution to that problem, causes me to never stick to induction too long...
CP777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: happylabs
Start Date: June 1, 2010
Good job! I agree with most of what you said as far as my experience with low carb. I went through the stage of having absolutely no appetite for a week or so and had to force myself to eat so my metabolism would stay up. I have been doing this strictly since the beginning of July and now it just seems like a way of life to me.

Keep up the good work!
happylabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:01 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lilsassy71
Stats: 279.5/278/230
Start Date: Restart: 04/01/12
I have pretty much experienced everything you described and Im on day 5. Today was the first time I felt like I had energy, no headache and not totally emotionally depressed. I didnt really experience any cravings, and the appetite loss is what I am dealing with right now. Im not cutting ALL carbs as I do eat my vegies, but meat, cheese and eggs for the most part. I havent noticed my breath, but I havent smelled my own breath and my bf hasnt said anything about it, not that he would. ok lol I just asked him and he said "no but thanks for the warning, now I know its coming!" I have used the sticks in the past (this is my 3rd go round, first time I lost 70 lbs, second time didnt last long) but I think what you said about diluted urine was my issue because I never got all the way to purple. Keep up the great work!

Sassy isn't just a name, its an ATTITUDE!!!
lilsassy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:20 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ItsmeRon
Stats: 286/226/200 ??
WOE: My version of Low-carb
Start Date: June 7th, 2010
all this rings true, Ive been in and out of Ketosis going on 3 months, I wake with extremely dry mouth, having been "in" this long things have really evened out but mostly my energy is still quite high, that is what is really cool about this WOE
ItsmeRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:08 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BFL Chick
Stats: 2001:192 2008:132
Start Date: 1/01 Atkins
today is my last day of induction. I am moving on to OWL tomorrow as recommended in DANDR.
I also ate A LOT the first few days. Pretty much stuffing my face all day long with eggs and meat and cheese. I think it is helpful to do that because if you are full on induction-friendly food, you are less likely to eat off-plan and give up during those rough first couple of days. By day 5 or so, you will have no appetite to eat.
I had two major transgressions for religious purposes (ate two very thin slices of apple with a very small amt of honey and drank a glass of red wine on Rosh Hashana). :blush: Now that I am confessing to everything, I also overdid it on the salad vegetables at times. :blush:
I kept checking the ketostix at least once a day and that was very helpful and motivated me to keep going. I never got beyond moderate and was usually in the mild ketone range. I took vitamins and fish oil every other day and walked a lot and drank H2O whenever I was thirsty (which was pretty much all day long). I also gave up caffeinated coffee, which is wonderful.
After 13 days, I have lost 10.5 lbs total and can finally fit into my usual jeans. Given that I have 20 more lbs to go, I am very pleased with the results. I plan to slow things down though and move on to OWL.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:11 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BFL Chick
Stats: 2001:192 2008:132
Start Date: 1/01 Atkins
Also, I made a graph of my daily weight on my phone (app called weight charts) and it was helpful to see the line trending down (with some ups and downs). Big motivator.
BFL Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cjdaniels
well im pretty short and use to weigh 187 pound so i was definately overweight. i lost 66 pound just from eating healthy but have put on a further 26 pound. i know im not 'fat' but im not at my comfortable weight. i get a hard time from bigger woman who get quite mad when they hear about me dieting but i just tell them that i have been big before, i worked hard to lose it and i dont want to go back! anyway i want to lose 22 pound so i started the induction step today. i never take afternoon naps and i slept 3 times today! usually when i take an afternoon nap i cant sleep at night but right now i feel like i could sleep for a week! i think this diet will be good for me because i dont have alot to lose and as far as im aware its a pretty quick fix? going to get some ketone sticks tomorrow just for that extra boost of motivation! it has been so good reading all these posts, hearing about other peoples symptoms and what not. i feel like im in a ketosis club now! hehe i have one question though. i ate ALOT of meat today but little to no carbs and ALOT of fat. is there anything i should be eating more or less of?
cjdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote