Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bigmama3
Stats: 161/148/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2010
Confused? Can we have coffee with caffeine or not?

Different books and different sites say different things. I'm in induction and the I thought we could have coffee with caffeine but the atkins book I have now says no caffeine. What's the deal?
bigmama3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2010, 12:11 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: juddinminime
Stats: 217 heaviest 5'9" 38yrs
WOE: lc/JUDDD
Start Date: Juddd start 1/1/12. 207/ 192.4 /159
They say the caffeine slows the weight loss, but I have always had coffee on induction....(That is the one thing I could not cut out.)
So its up to you
juddinminime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:32 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Chaoticdreaming
Stats: 270/256/150
Start Date: 8/8-10
Caffeine can sometimes affect your blood sugar levels and can cause cravings. Atkins used to make you cut out caffeine to avoid this. However, later studies show that caffeine affects everyone differently. If you find that it stalls you on induction and interferes with the cravings going away, then you should probably lay off of it. The new book advises you to do away with it, but it's not essential.

I am on my 4th week so far and have been drinking coffee about every day. I haven't seen any negative impact of that thus far. Hope this helps your confusion a bit. I was in that same boat. I love my coffee and my diet drinks, although I've cut most of them out.
Chaoticdreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:11 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Coffee it is then! LOL!!!! Yay!
Old 09-02-2010, 08:55 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BFL Chick
Stats: 2001:192 2008:132
Start Date: 1/01 Atkins
Actually, according to Dr. Atkins (DANDR), coffee is NOT allowed on induction because it makes your blood sugars fluctuate. He recommends cutting it out for 2 weeks and going through withdrawal and then after 2 weeks you can introduce it back in occasionally.
I just started induction again yesterday and have been trying to cut out coffee too. I used to drink at least 4-6 cups per day. It is painful so I have been having a small coffee half caffeinated-half regular with plans to further taper it over the next week or so.
The other thing I realized after re-reading the book is that sugar alcohols (such as sugarless gum) is NOT allowed on induction. Very depressing.
But as he says, the point of the 2 weeks is not to win a gourmet eating contest, but rather to get over your carb cravings, get into ketosis, and stabilize your blood sugar.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:07 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

I have one decent sized coffee in the morning and then water the rest of the day. I don't really crave carbs. I had switched to whole grains already and used splenda so the white flour and sugar hasn't been an issue. I don't chew gum very often so that's a non-issue. I may end up dropping coffee altogether but not yet. But, only because I am getting to the point where I don't want to "have" to have anything. Yesterday I said I can't give up my coffee. But, today I reached my mini walking goal of 5.4 miles and I feel like a million bucks. So, no more "can't"! We all can reach every one of our goals!