Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 393743
Stats: (164/142/restart 180/168/120) 5"2'
WOE: Primal
Start Date: 8-19-10 restart 7-28-13
Caffeine and Artificial Sweeteners

I started induction 4 days ago, and along with cutting carbs to 20 or below and completely avoiding sugar, I've also got completely off diet sodas because i'm terribly addicted to them. I'm wondering though if artificial sweeteners and caffeine can effect weight loss? Does anyone have any experience with that? Right now i'm drinking only water. I hate water, but i'm doing it. However, i wouldn't mind a tall glass of unsweetened iced tea. I probably won't use any sweetener in it since i'm doing this to help my hypoglycemia and artificial sweeteners effect your blood sugar the same as the real thing. But i don't want to do if if caffeine gets in the way.
393743 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2010, 11:28 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BFL Chick
Stats: 2001:192 2008:132
Start Date: 1/01 Atkins
According to the book, yes and yes. Coffee/aspartame/sugar alcohols are not allowed on induction. I would personally just stick with water or decaf coffee/tea and liquid sucralose which is recommended in the book.
I think previously I was stalled due to aspartame and sugarfree gum.
BFL Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: camel?
Stats: 194/165/159
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 2009
The new books says to avoid caffeine only if it causes you blood sugar problems. For some people the caffeine causes low blood sugar which causes cravings/hunger.

Also for about 30% of people artificial sweetener causes an insulin response just like real sugar. So some people choose to avoid all sweeteners if it causes them problems or they are stalling. Atkins also recommended avoiding aspartame in general, and recommended sucralose (splenda) but to count a carb per packet due to fillers (maltodextrin - a carb). Liquid splenda/sucralose doesn't have carbs, but again, some might choose to limit their intake if causing them problems.
camel? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BFL Chick
Stats: 2001:192 2008:132
Start Date: 1/01 Atkins
The new book was not written by Dr. Atkins, so I don't really trust it. Honestly I got really great results with DANDR in the past and not such good results by following the more recent publications from the Atkins center. I also feel that after he died, the Atkins center turned into the commercial machine trying to push their products on dieters and introducing the concept of "net carbs." Dr. Atkins himself said to count all the carbs, avoid caffeine while on induction, and no sugar alcohols. The reason he gave is because many studies have shown that caffeine makes your blood sugar fluctuate throughout the day and to avoid it in induction.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:44 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: karenann33
I have lost 25 pounds doing atkins. I avoid artificial sweetners because they are poison. I drink 4 glasses of tea a day sweetened with Stevia (2 packets per day). So the caffeine did not affect my weight loss. The other artificial sweetners did (namely aspertame - have not tried splenda).
karenann33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:08 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 393743
Stats: (164/142/restart 180/168/120) 5"2'
WOE: Primal
Start Date: 8-19-10 restart 7-28-13
I finally got my copy of DANDR, I didn't have it for the first week of induction. Thank you for all your responses, I read the book and I'm following it to the letter! I may try small amounts of caffeine or splenda later to see if it effects me in any way.
393743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:10 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Caffeine is one of those things that YMMV. I drink up to 3 cups of espresso daily just fine. Many do. 72 Atkins did not cut out caffeine either by the way. His later version DANDR did. The new book NANY - says caffeine is OK. I have not had any issues with it. But again, its one of those things where your mileage may vary. It may not affect you or it may. Many here drink it just fine and have experimented with not drinking it to see if they lose better and have reported no significant difference. Its one of those things that is different for different people. Just like some people avoid or limit dairy. What works for one, doesn't always work for the other.

The one thing I would say is learn to listen to your body. You will find on this board that although we are all doing low carb, many of us do it differently yet still get results. I don't go by what works for others, I get great tips but in the end, I just go by what works for my body. If something causes me cravings, I eliminate it. If it doesn't, I have at it.

No the new book is not written by Dr. A, but it should not be avoided because of that. It does not push Atkins products IMO. In fact, it makes a point to say that they should be eaten only when real food is not available. New research on low carb eating has been done since Dr. A so its great to see other doctors like the ones that wrote NANY pick up the torch.

Last edited by tulipsandroses; 09-03-2010 at 08:20 PM..
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:28 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: macky
Stats: 185/168/135
WOE: gluten free, unprocessed, VLC
Start Date: September 2010
Artificial sweeteners stall me. Caffeine doesn't.

Which means, for me, black coffee and unsweetened iced tea are good (and in fact, the only things I drink other than water), and diet sodas are bad.
macky is offline   Reply With Quote