Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tuki
Stats: Too much/starting on Sunday/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7/25/10
Does it matter when you have your carbs?

I was just thinking that if we go over 20 carbs in a day, we run the risk of being kicked out of ketosis. But if I eat no carbs all day and then have 20 at dinner, will that also kick me out of ketosis? Or say I have 20 at dinner, followed by 20 at breakfast the next day, but I'm otherwise carb free the rest of both days?

I'm trying to figure out a bit more about how this works. I can't always spread my carbs throughout the day, so I want to know if I need to be more careful?
Tuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2010, 02:21 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: camel?
Stats: 194/165/159
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 2009
From what I've read, it takes 40-60 carbs in a day for most people to go out of ketosis.
I'm not sure what the time factor is on that.
I would imagine that the time you are sleeping between dinner and breakfast would be sufficient to avoid going out of ketosis.
Good question~
camel? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:01 PM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
It depends on the personal metabolism, of course, but the point of limiting your carbs to 20 a day is to limit the effect they have on you, and taking them all at once would be counterproductive. They should ideally be spread out evenly among 3 meals and whatever snacks you eat.

For most people, you could probably have your 20 grams at once and still be ok, but it would be better not to. For people with a lot of weight to lose, with significant metabolic issues, I would say just don't. LOL
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Jennyl
Start Date: manana
I've never really thought about it before. I'm really not sure, but I've been doing ok so fare without worrying about it
Jennyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
I would be guessing that ketosis aside, it is always best to spread them out over the day to ensure the best blood sugar regulation.

Remember that insulin makes you hungry and deposits fat...in order to avoid insulin spikes (and blood sugar highs and lows) you should ideally stagger your carbs throughout the day.

This is diabetes knowledge so of course it may make less of an impact on a non diabetic...BUT it still applies!
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:11 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: junkfoodmonkey
Stats: 213/193/140
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: Original Nov 2003 Current 17 Sep 2012
It wouldn't take you out of ketosis - it's still 20 carbs for the day however you distributed them. Though the 20 at dinner then 20 at breakfast could be dodgy, since thats only a few hours apart. It's not like your body knows when it's midnight and says "right, now you're allowed 20 again." Spreading them out through the day avoids that situation and keeps it so that you're getting around 20 within a 24 hour period.

Also if you have nearly all of your carbs allowance at once, well a) it might give you cravings and b) what would you actually be eating? Since 12-15 of the carbs should be from vegetables then that's a lot of volume to eat at once since the allowed veggies are so low in carbs.

I also find if I go too long with none I get all spacey and light headed.

But if there's a day or two now and again when you can't spread them out it won't do any harm.

Notes to self
  • You are not a special little snowflake.
  • When you mess up - forgive yourself, learn from it and move on.
junkfoodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:01 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DJFoodie
Stats: 352/215/185
WOE: Low in carbs, high in yumminess.
Start Date: March 13th, 2010
A little low carb monkey once told me to try and stick to 10 carbs per meal, or less. On occasion, I go up to about 13 or 14, but that's pretty rare.

I agree with stardustshadow. If you swing your carbs too much, it'll release greater amounts of insulin. If you stick to like 2 carbs for coffee in the morning, then 6 for breakfast, lunch and dinner, I believe you decrease the chances of being kicked out of ketosis.

All this said, different people have different metabolisms. Mine seems to be pretty sensative to carbs. You may be able to get away with it.

So ... my suggestion would be ... try it! Just eat steak and water for 2 meals, then ... for dinner have like a salad with chicken, cheese and berries, or something. Get up to 20 grams, but with whole meats, fruits and veggies ... then see what happens!

Let us know!

DJFoodie is offline   Reply With Quote