Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cosmicstargoat
Stats: 248.5/241.4/215.0 by Oct. 1
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 21, 2012
If you have totally failed on Atkins, please post here

We have extensively discussed my situation Here in this thread, so if you are sick of hearing about my issues, just ignore. I would like to hear from others who have totally failed in this lo-carb, high fat diet regimen. I'm sure I'm not the only person in the world who has tried this and totally skunked by the diet.

Did you fail to lose weight?
Did you gain weight?
Did you follow the plan faithfullly?

To what do you attribute your failure to lose weight on Atkins?

Any and all comments are welcome.
Cosmicstargoat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: camel?
Stats: 194/165/159
Start Date: November 2009
I know this is an Atkins board, and I hate to send anyone away, but I was thinking, maybe you should check out the Dukan diet. It is a sort of high protein diet, with different phases - you do the "Attack Phase" which is a low fat high protein for a few days, then you go to a "Cruise Phase" which is alternating days of protein and days of protein plus veggies. There's a lot more to it.

The thing that I thought you might appreciate is that if you sign up on the site they give you personalized help and coaching from doctors and nutritionists. It does have a monthly fee, I think.
The Dukan Diet Official site | No.1 Diet in France | No calorie counting: personalized slimming coaching, lose weight easily

The thing about this board is that we are just people who are speaking from our own limited experience, or we are parroting advice we have heard or read. We aren't experts by any means, or doctors, and it seems to me like you could use some expert advice.

I really hope you can find a solution that works for you. You sound pretty frustrated, and rightly so! Its also hard when you receive conflicting advice.

Let us know if you find something that works!

Last edited by camel?; 08-01-2010 at 07:00 PM..
camel? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:00 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sandi_in_Florida
My husband didn't have much success with Atkins. He did lose some but after the initial loss stayed at the same weight for the next 6 weeks or so.

A few years and a few pounds later he had success with a low-calorie (1200-1400 per day), moderate carbohydrate (< 125 per day, trying to keep at around 25 per meal/snack), moderate protein diet.

By following this, adding 4 ounces of red wine and 1/4 cup cashews nightly, and eliminating refined flour, white rice, and sugar he lost 70 pounds (240 to 170 on a 5'9" frame) in 7 months. He took phentermine for the first couple of months but discovered that he really didn't need it. I suspect it was because his carbs were fairly low and by keeping them spread out evenly during the day at the 25 or less level per meal or snack that he was getting the benefit of appetite suppression from low carb even though he wasn't "low carb" per se.

If you'd like more details, feel free to reply here or email me at maligator68 at gmail dot com.
Sandi_in_Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi_in_Florida View Post
My husband didn't have much success with Atkins. He did lose some but after the initial loss stayed at the same weight for the next 6 weeks or so.

A few years and a few pounds later he had success with a low-calorie (1200-1400 per day), moderate carbohydrate (< 125 per day, trying to keep at around 25 per meal/snack), moderate protein diet.

By following this, adding 4 ounces of red wine and 1/4 cup cashews nightly, and eliminating refined flour, white rice, and sugar he lost 70 pounds (240 to 170 on a 5'9" frame) in 7 months. He took phentermine for the first couple of months but discovered that he really didn't need it. I suspect it was because his carbs were fairly low and by keeping them spread out evenly during the day at the 25 or less level per meal or snack that he was getting the benefit of appetite suppression from low carb even though he wasn't "low carb" per se.

If you'd like more details, feel free to reply here or email me at maligator68 at gmail dot com.
OK, I'm emailing you. I have a gmail account too, look for a weird name starting with a "pt"***********at gmail dot com, that's me.

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2010, 12:25 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Hi,
I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry this is not working for you and that you're getting so frustrated. I would too, given that you're doing everything you should be and that it SHOULD be working.

For me, Atkins has always worked very quickly, my error has come from not making it a way of life. BUT, for my boyfriend, he absolutely can't lose weight on Atkins. I had never heard of anybody having that problem, I'd always known Atkins to offer huge success for everyone, but he sticks to it 100% faithfully and he can't lose. And that's without being on any medications. He loves meat, this could easily be a way of life for him, but it just doesn't work.

I'm afraid that I'm not offering any helpful suggestions, but I just wanted you to know that you're not alone. I really enjoy reading your posts. Well, I don't enjoy that you're getting so frustrated, but I do enjoy your wit and humor. I hope that you'll continue to post, no matter what plan you decide to go with.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:55 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
Hi,

I'm afraid that I'm not offering any helpful suggestions, but I just wanted you to know that you're not alone. I really enjoy reading your posts. Well, I don't enjoy that you're getting so frustrated, but I do enjoy your wit and humor. I hope that you'll continue to post, no matter what plan you decide to go with.
Thank you. Right now the only plan I have is to not overeat. Except for last nights little indiscretion with Mr. Daniels, I pretty much plan to limit my carbohydrates and calories. The difference now is that I have ZERO expectations. Hopefully I can maintain what I have and not gain any more weight until I get to the doctor's and lay it all in his lap.

Wednesday I go to my Ortho's partner, the one who does the actual sawbonesing. The sooner I get these bad knees in the rear view mirror, the sooner I will be able to look to having some sort of quality of life. Right now I have virtually none.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:05 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Who knows, you may find that not limiting yourself so much will work better for you. I'm sure going to see the Ortho has to be a mixed blessing. Glad to get it over with and not be in pain, but not looking forward to the actual surgery. When do you go back to your regular dr? Has he suggested any kind of food plan that he wants you to try?
Old 08-02-2010, 01:24 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Who knows, you may find that not limiting yourself so much will work better for you. I'm sure going to see the Ortho has to be a mixed blessing. Glad to get it over with and not be in pain, but not looking forward to the actual surgery. When do you go back to your regular dr? Has he suggested any kind of food plan that he wants you to try?
I'm going back the end of this month. No, we haven't discussed anything because weight has not been an issue until this summer. My last visit was at the end of April. When I get my lipid numbers the nurse always calls with the numbers and recites the usual, "watch your diet for fat, exercise etc. etc."
Old 08-02-2010, 02:22 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It's always amazing to me that many doctors don't have more specific suggestions as to actually how to change your diet to combat your specific issues. My bf was recently diagnosed with high cholesterol (so we are trying to cut down on all animal products for him) and with high blood sugar (so we are supposed to cut out all fruit, juices, and refined carbs). That doesn't leave much to choose from! Of course the dr didn't really give us much in the way of specifics, so I'm trying to be creative with the few things that he can eat. Needless to say, he's not happy.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:15 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: artnmuzic
Me too!

Hi -- I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd say, Me too. I'm at day 92 and never lost beyond an initial 4 lbs of water the first week. I weigh myself on a doctor's type scale at the gym, the same time of day every time. No change in clothing size or measurements, either, so it's not just the scale!

I'm currently re-doing Induction, with one more week to go, but this first week of re-induction didn't change anything. Meanwhile I watch two of the three people I went into this with melt like candles in a heat wave, with one dropping 30 lbs in the same time period (tho the third is struggling much like I am). Glad for them , but boo hoo for me!

The worst thing is when you KNOW you're doing everything right -- to the letter -- but people (for whom atkins IS easily working) will say to you "Well you must be doing it wrong." Grrr!!

Last edited by artnmuzic; 07-21-2011 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: Edit: No change in clothing size or measurements, either, so it's not just the scale!
artnmuzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:07 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: marylouise
Stats: 300 / 154.8 / 150-5'3"- 61 YR.
WOE: 72` DADR with the List!
Start Date: March 1, 2011
I was doing nany on the atkins site. March 1 of this year I started Atkins 72. I lost 39 pounds. In May I found the Atkins site. I got on nany.....for almost 2 months I have lost a grand total of 5 pounds!!

A friend I met on Atkins told me about this site. Yall dont look down on people doing the 1972??
marylouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:13 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: marylouise
Stats: 300 / 154.8 / 150-5'3"- 61 YR.
WOE: 72` DADR with the List!
Start Date: March 1, 2011
I am very new to this site....cant as of yet figure out how to use it....but I will..I hope
marylouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:57 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: QFMVCunctator
Stats: 231/209/160 5'11"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Feb. 2008 (4th post-pregnancy re-start: Sep. '12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylouise View Post
I was doing nany on the atkins site. March 1 of this year I started Atkins 72. I lost 39 pounds. In May I found the Atkins site. I got on nany.....for almost 2 months I have lost a grand total of 5 pounds!!

A friend I met on Atkins told me about this site. Yall dont look down on people doing the 1972??
There's a whole forum devoted to Atkins '72. There are many die-hard devotees. Look under "Weight Loss Plans" for it. Good luck!
QFMVCunctator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: artnmuzic
I spoke too soon: I had a woosh a few days after posting.
artnmuzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SharonB61
Stats: 168/132/135
WOE: VLC / IF
I don't know whether I am having problems losing weigh as I am close to menopause, or whether my body has just adjusted to low carbs, but I've been doing VERY strict induction since June 6th, and as of today I have only lost 6lbs.

I'm very disheartened!
SharonB61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:25 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Location: Hometown is Los Angeles, CA but living in upland,ca ( until 2010)
Gallery: blackbarbie23
Stats: 321
WOE: ATKINS
ive attempted ATKINS 5 times over the past 10 years and never made it past the first week
blackbarbie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jforex78
Is anyone still on this thread?

I am here to say Atkins is failing for me. I am gaining fat all over my body than losing it.

I had lost 20 lbs by eating moderate carbs, protein and fat. This program gives an impression that unlimited amount of meats atnd fats are allowed until one is satisfied. I did that and am gaining fat.

The high protein diet i was on previously made me lose weight and fat in a mere 2 weeks time. Its true that carbs need to be low, but going high fat is not working for me. Although protein has insulin response, it didnt make me fat.
jforex78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:13 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PaleoRainy
Stats: 212/158/144
WOE: IF with carb cycling
Start Date: 24/09/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by jforex78 View Post
This program gives an impression that unlimited amount of meats atnd fats are allowed until one is satisfied. I did that and am gaining fat.
Sorry to argue, but 'gives the impression' means lacking information. One cannot start up a diet based on impression, but on facts.
Please consider that calories do enter into the game as well, if on a typical day one burns 2000 calories and ingurgitates 4000 of this 'unlimited amount' of whatever, be it carbs, fats or proteins, it's obviously not going to work (random numbers used).
Atkins is not pig out on meat and lard as much as you like and you will lose weight, that won't happen.
PaleoRainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ASHLEY2HAWAII
Stats: 196/183/125
WOE: ATKINS 72
Start Date: RESTART 7-8-14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jforex78 View Post
Is anyone still on this thread?

I am here to say Atkins is failing for me. I am gaining fat all over my body than losing it.

I had lost 20 lbs by eating moderate carbs, protein and fat. This program gives an impression that unlimited amount of meats atnd fats are allowed until one is satisfied. I did that and am gaining fat.

The high protein diet i was on previously made me lose weight and fat in a mere 2 weeks time. Its true that carbs need to be low, but going high fat is not working for me. Although protein has insulin response, it didnt make me fat.
Sorry, but Atkins has not failed you. You were really never doing true Atkins from another post you wrote.
ASHLEY2HAWAII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:41 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Darkginger
Stats: 197/147/147
Start Date: August 2004 (properly)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHLEY2HAWAII View Post
Sorry, but Atkins has not failed you. You were really never doing true Atkins from another post you wrote.
I agree, bread and alcohol are not part of induction.
Darkginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
Agree. why is this this thread even here?
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: majomor
All I can say is, I started following Atkins then slowly moved to Paleo, which made a huge difference.
I found that I ate too many "atkins treats" and that was not helping....
I also found that yes I do eat high fat as Atkins says, but I am very very careful.
I eat good fats, which do not include cold cuts as I found that they were loaded with sugars, salt and additives which caused constant stalling to me and many of my friends.
By eating whole foods and not processed I find that atkins works better for me.
I also found that exercise did an incredible amount of help to keeping off my weight!!!
When I stick to good fats like coconut oil, ghee and bacon grease(yes I save the stuff after I fry my low salt bacon), and butter (we have way less hormones in our butter in Canada than most places) and forego all the other oils including EVOO I do much better.
I have real vegetables, a blue moon to have salads as that requires EVOO and other condiments which can have hidden baddies sometimes.......The salads with EVOO never fill me like good old steamed vegetables with good fats and salt and pepper!
hope that helps?
majomor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:48 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: majomor
Quote:
It's always amazing to me that many doctors don't have more specific suggestions as to actually how to change your diet to combat your specific issues. My bf was recently diagnosed with high cholesterol (so we are trying to cut down on all animal products for him) and with high blood sugar (so we are supposed to cut out all fruit, juices, and refined carbs). That doesn't leave much to choose from! Of course the dr didn't really give us much in the way of specifics, so I'm trying to be creative with the few things that he can eat. Needless to say, he's not happy.
sounds just like my paleo way of eating using Atkins as a base!
yes I enjoy my food minus all the ones your doc told you to cut out and I don't miss them!...also a good nutritionist who believes in paleo could be a godsend, as they understand that the less saturated fat you eat the more your body makes cholesterol....and that you should be looking at your HDL and LDL more than cholesterol, as those are the ones that will cause you heart aches(no pun intended!)....blogs like Maria Emmerich and Jen Eloff have great low carb recipes and tips on low carbing and being heart healthy, especially sites like DRs Eades protein power...lots of doctors on that site!
good luck!
majomor is offline   Reply With Quote