Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cosmicstargoat
Stats: 248.5/241.4/215.0 by Oct. 1
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 21, 2012
I'm gaining weight on induction, please help

First, let me state unequivocally that I am not trolling, I need help. I started 10 days ago and have faithfully followed the Atkins diets and am gaining weight.

Typical is breakfast, bacon, eggs a little cheese

Typical lunch is two hamburgers or cheesburgers

Typical dinner is steak or chicken breasts + salad w/tomato, bacon bits, Blue Cheese dressing. I have given up my beloved beer and am way below the 20 grams of carbs per day. Could I be eating too much?

I cannot exercise much because of my knees. I am absolutely not cheating but am horrifed that I am actually gaining weight and not losing as is typical. I'm in ketosis, I can taste it.

HELP!
Cosmicstargoat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sandi_in_Florida
Vegetables. Eat more of them. Since it doesn't look like you have much in the way of them at all right now, aim for 10g of carbs from veggies per day, but 12-15 is best, especially at the beginning.
Sandi_in_Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
Those hamburgers and cheeseburgers - I'm assuming those are without the bun?

Weighing and logging food into a site such as ******.com at least for a few days can help identify any diet issues. Carbs hide in a lot of foods and it can add up.

Some people start gaining muscle when they go into induction, especially if they weren't getting enough protein before. So you may also want to take body measurements, waist, hips, thighs, etc. to help track progress.

If you don't have much weight to lose, such as if you want to lose 20 lbs or so, calories may have to be watched carefully as well.

There are other loss problems such as hypothyroid, certain prescription drugs, etc.

The diet is only an instrument; you have to want to use it. ... It is necessary for you to have respect for your body for you to use this tool [the Atkins' Diet]. It's the only body you'll be issued. You've got to spend the rest of your life in it. You must treat it like your greatest possession; you must become a kind of "health nut." -- Robert C. Atkins, M.D.

Last edited by porcupine73; 07-26-2010 at 01:35 PM..
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
I think you are eating too much, maybe...are you eating just until you are full, or are you going on after having the full feeling?

Calories CAN matter some on Atkins...esp if you have too much protein. Protein can be turned in to glucose by the liver, which then elevates your blood sugar, which is the cause of weight gain (to put it simply).

It does looks like you have a LOT of protein. You may also want to be careful with the blue cheese dressing...make SURE it doesn't have hidden carbs! Dressings are really tricky that way!

Do you track what you eat? I use ******.com (lots of people here use it) and there you can see graphs showing you what percentage of your food is fat, protein, carbs...It is a great tool!

Good luck!
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
Those hamburgers and cheeseburgers - I'm assuming those are without the bun?
Of course, no buns.

Quote:
Some people start gaining muscle when they go into induction, especially if they weren't getting enough protein before. So you may also want to take body measurements, waist, hips, thighs, etc. to help track progress.

If you don't have much weight to lose, such as if you want to lose 20 lbs or so, calories may have to be watched carefully as well.
I ate a lot of meat before + carb + beer, etc. I have very, very carefully watched my carbs on this thing, but I have pigged out on meat, tuna salad, eggs, bacon, etc. Is it possible that I'm eating too much? I don't really feel hungry, just weird and unfullfilled.

I've gone from 232 to 241 since I started on the diet, in one week! I'm getting really desperate and don't want to toss in the towel because what I was eating before wasn't right either.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi_in_Florida View Post
Vegetables. Eat more of them. Since it doesn't look like you have much in the way of them at all right now, aim for 10g of carbs from veggies per day, but 12-15 is best, especially at the beginning.
Should I cut down on my meat and bacon and eggs?
Old 07-26-2010, 01:47 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustshadow View Post
I think you are eating too much, maybe...are you eating just until you are full, or are you going on after having the full feeling?

Calories CAN matter some on Atkins...esp if you have too much protein. Protein can be turned in to glucose by the liver, which then elevates your blood sugar, which is the cause of weight gain (to put it simply).
I am eating a ton of protein. Maybe this is the problem, too much.
Quote:
It does looks like you have a LOT of protein. You may also want to be careful with the blue cheese dressing...make SURE it doesn't have hidden carbs! Dressings are really tricky that way!
I'm using Kraft and it states 1 gr per serving of carbs.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:50 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
Should I cut down on my meat and bacon and eggs?
If you really feel you are "pigging out" on them, then perhaps you should. If you are not feeling satisfied, try upping the fat over the protein. Try smaller portions of meat, but use buttery or creamy sauces, lots of mayo in the tuna, etc.
Try tracking what you eat on ****** or myfatsecret to see what your % of macronutrients are. You MAY be eating too many calories, or too much protein which will be stored as fat if it isn't used by the body.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:50 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

As a start I would suggest weighing food portions and logging everything into a site such as ******. There could be carbs hiding in your food products. Many mayonaisses, condiments, dressings, etc., have sugar in them. Calories might be an issue but it's hard to tell without logging intake, since there can be other reasons for resistance to loss or even gaining as well. If you don't mind telling some of your stats such as age, sex, current weight, goal weight, etc?
Old 07-26-2010, 01:55 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

I am confused. What everyone says makes sense, especially about if you eat too much protein (more calories than you burn), you will gain weight, but how do you explain the paradox of the Atkins diet? It states, "Eat all the meat and fat you want". Also, I used to exercise a lot, am very stocky and muscular, but now cannot exercise much because of bad knees. I'm having them treated and eventually they will have to be replaced, but right now I can barely walk. Why is the appetite the last thing to go?
Old 07-26-2010, 01:58 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
As a start I would suggest weighing food portions and logging everything into a site such as ******. There could be carbs hiding in your food products. Many mayonaisses, condiments, dressings, etc., have sugar in them. Calories might be an issue but it's hard to tell without logging intake, since there can be other reasons for resistance to loss or even gaining as well. If you don't mind telling some of your stats such as age, sex, current weight, goal weight, etc?
Male, Age 62, my weight went from 230-240 since I started. My ideal weight is about 215-220. I am male and a former athelete, very stocky build. I have a beer gut and I have had no beer since starting this. I am not hungry, I have been stuffing with the allowed foods. I'm confident that I'm not over the carbohydrate limit, I'm probably closer to 5 or 10 than 20
Old 07-26-2010, 02:21 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
If you really feel you are "pigging out" on them, then perhaps you should. If you are not feeling satisfied, try upping the fat over the protein. Try smaller portions of meat, but use buttery or creamy sauces, lots of mayo in the tuna, etc.
So are you saying that fat is a more effective in this diet than protein? I am still grappling with the paradox of "eat all you want" on Atkins. I don't know, I have lost weight before, when I was younger, buy eating a low fat diet. I am not looking for anything easy, giving up beer was very hard, especially since it's so hot, but I know beer is murder on the Atkins philosophy. I'm trying not to get discouraged.

What is the concensus up to now?
Old 07-26-2010, 04:22 PM   #13

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
How much do you weigh and how tall are you? It's really impossible to say whether you are eating too much without knowing that.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:10 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: camel?
Stats: 194/165/159
Start Date: November 2009
Quote:
First, let me state unequivocally that I am not trolling, I need help. I started 10 days ago and have faithfully followed the Atkins diets and am gaining weight.

Typical is breakfast, bacon, eggs a little cheese

Typical lunch is two hamburgers or cheesburgers

Typical dinner is steak or chicken breasts + salad w/tomato, bacon bits, Blue Cheese dressing. I have given up my beloved beer and am way below the 20 grams of carbs per day. Could I be eating too much?

I cannot exercise much because of my knees. I am absolutely not cheating but am horrifed that I am actually gaining weight and not losing as is typical. I'm in ketosis, I can taste it.

HELP!
On induction, you CAN overeat calories and you generally won't gain weight. You might not LOSE overeating calories, but you shouldn't be gaining.

The reasons for gaining are: is there are hidden carbs in your foods, and the other thing would be not drinking enough water (weight gain because of water retention).

What kind of bacon are you using, and how much are you having? Bacon is notorious for having added sugar. It is also very high in salt. Are you drinking very much water? Try for 2 Litres a day, plain water. It is very important, especially on Induction. If you are eating a lot of salt and not drinking water, that could cause the scale to register a gain.
As you break down fat toxin are released. If you don't flush them out with water, they will cause you to retain water.

How are you making your hamburger patties, or are they store bought patties? Premade patties or patties from fast food places can contain fillers. Check the ingredients. (Wheat? sugar? Salt?)
Do you have any sauces on the burgers? Ketchup, relish and barbeque sauce all have sugar. Go for mayo and mustard instead.

Are your bacon bits real? Again, any added sugar?

As to the dressing, Kraft blue cheese DOES have added sugar. If it says "1 carb per tablespoon", you can easily pour on 7-8 TBSP on a large salad. One tablespoon is the volume of a tea bag. My mom stopped losing and switched from Kraft blue cheese to Litehouse (no sugar on the ingredients) and began losing again.

Labels are tricky. They are allowed to say "0 carbs" if a portion has 0.99 carbs or less. So sometimes they will make the portion size small. Then if you have several portions, you could be eating many carbs without realizing it.

Also, I can't stress enough how important getting your water is.

Look for hidden carbs. Eat fresh unprocessed meats. Keep a food log or post your meals on here for help.

Have you read the book? It is very helpful to understand HOW Atkins works. If you read it years ago, try re-reading it. I had forgotten so much the second time around.

I hope that helps!
camel? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:32 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Princess1985
WOE: very low carb & calorie tracking
Start Date: 21/may/2010
too much protein can turn to glucose...
are you constipated?
If you haven't grab the book..
I didnt at first but since reading it you understand sooo much better!
Princess1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:32 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Quote:
So are you saying that fat is a more effective in this diet than protein? I am still grappling with the paradox of "eat all you want" on Atkins. I don't know, I have lost weight before, when I was younger, buy eating a low fat diet. I am not looking for anything easy, giving up beer was very hard, especially since it's so hot, but I know beer is murder on the Atkins philosophy. I'm trying not to get discouraged.

What is the concensus up to now?
Dr Atkins made it clear you should eat until sated not stuff yourself silly. Also yes, this is a rather high fat and moderate protein diet. Fat triggers satiation faster which is why I suggested it. Giving up beer is not always necessary. My husband for example has lost 55 lbs since January and drinks a great deal of Miller Lite. It's def. a your mileage may vary thing.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:37 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camel? View Post
On induction, you CAN overeat calories and you generally won't gain weight. You might not LOSE overeating calories, but you shouldn't be gaining.

The reasons for gaining are: is there are hidden carbs in your foods, and the other thing would be not drinking enough water (weight gain because of water retention).
I'm drinking at least 10 x 16 oz. of water a day. I have drank nothing else.

Seriously, I've covered everything in my mind. Bacon, I carefully read the package for 0 carbs.

I use only mayo and not salad dressing and mustard. Relish contains sugar and I don't use. I know ketchup is a huge NO-NO and I don't use.

The bacon bits are real, no carbs.

I'll try the Blue Cheese dressing suggestion. I have used a lot, but I'm still well below the 20 grams, but something has to be wrong.
Quote:
Also, I can't stress enough how important getting your water is.
I know, I drink tons now. What I used to drink in beer and soda I now drink ony water and liters of it a day. Water cannot be the problem, I'm peeing like crazy.

I'm convinced it is not carbs. I have almost none now. I'm a mature guy, but I'm starting to panic a little now. I'm not hungry and have tremendous will power once I committ, so cheating is not an issue here. I used to drink beer virtually every day, now I'm not and I'm gaining weight. I'm stumped.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:42 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
Dr Atkins made it clear you should eat until sated not stuff yourself silly. Also yes, this is a rather high fat and moderate protein diet. Fat triggers satiation faster which is why I suggested it. Giving up beer is not always necessary. My husband for example has lost 55 lbs since January and drinks a great deal of Miller Lite. It's def. a your mileage may vary thing.
I think I'm going to cry now. OK, it's only been 10 days and I'm going to griind this thing out, but if I put on more weight I don't know what I'll do. I know that fasting is stupid and your body will rebound with a vengance. What do you think about cutting out ??????? I can't think of anything. My beef? My chicken? My tuna salad? There's nothing else but the paltry amount of lettuce and fresh tomato I eat nearly every day. Seriously, I haven't had a bit of bread, or beer, or beans, or fruit or anything remotely sweet. This is what is bothering me, if I'd been cheating I wouldn't even be asking these questions.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:43 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

That's great that you are drinking lots of water and are not cheating.
Are you constipated, or, do you feel like you are getting sick? Our bodies retain water when fighting off sickness.
Maybe the weight gain is just a bump in the road... give it a few days... Don't panic...
Track your foods, maybe try to keep your calories under 3,000.
It takes 3500 EXTRA calories to make a pound of fat on top of your needs for the day of 2500-3000 so unless you are eating like 7,000 calories a day those pounds of weight gain are probably water. It might be the salt?
Old 07-26-2010, 05:44 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess1985 View Post
too much protein can turn to glucose...
are you constipated?
If you haven't grab the book..
I didnt at first but since reading it you understand sooo much better!
I am slightly more constipated, but I am daily in that department. Cutting out alcohol tends to slow down my peristalsis action. But.....I have been drinking tons and tons of water.

HELP!
Old 07-26-2010, 05:48 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MortNuke
Stats: 5"10" 213/190/190;
WOE: Clean Eating / P90X
Start Date: 2009
Try this adjustment for a few days and check the results: Have a salad with added veggies at lunch instead of those cheeseburgers. Being "way below" 20 Grams of carbs ain't good, don't let that happen...You need carbs to function. Can you do other light exercises like walking, pushups and crunches to let that formerly-athletic body know that you mean some business! But, watch those knees...

Mort
MortNuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:49 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That's great that you are drinking lots of water and are not cheating.
Are you constipated, or, do you feel like you are getting sick? Our bodies retain water when fighting off sickness.
Maybe the weight gain is just a bump in the road... give it a few days... Don't panic...
Track your foods, maybe try to keep your calories under 3,000.
It takes 3500 EXTRA calories to make a pound of fat on top of your needs for the day of 2500-3000 so unless you are eating like 7,000 calories a day those pounds of weight gain are probably water. It might be the salt?
No, I'm never ever sick. I take medicine for high cholesterol and high blood pressure, but I've taken those for a while. It's not just fluid, my gut is increasing in size and I'm pretty horrified. I'm already taking a diuretic and have for a couple of years.

Are there some people who this just doesn't work for? Am I a statistical freak?
Old 07-26-2010, 05:51 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Have you started any new medications lately?

Maybe its not a real weight gain - Have you tried a different scale? Is it digital or manual?
If it is digital it can give crazy readings if the batteries are low.
Or, moving a scale can make its reading vary.

Try weighing first thing after you get up, after you use the washroom. YOur weight can vary by 3-5 pounds during the day. We can weigh much heavier at night.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:52 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortNuke View Post
Try this adjustment for a few days and check the results: Have a salad with added veggies at lunch instead of those cheeseburgers. Being "way below" 20 Grams of carbs ain't good, don't let that happen...You need carbs to function. Can you do other light exercises like walking, pushups and crunches to let that formerly-athletic body know that you mean some business! But, watch those knees...

Mort
Mort, I can barely walk and am facing replacement of both knees. When I walk for exercise, the pain is intense as is the swelling. Exercise is not much of an option now and I hate it. I could walk all this off, I was walking 3 miles a day, but the knees are stopping me cold. I'm in the middle of treatment now with synthetic synovial fluid injections.

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll cut back.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:54 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Have you started any new medications lately?

Maybe its not a real weight gain - Have you tried a different scale? Is it digital or manual?
If it is digital it can give crazy readings if the batteries are low.
Or, moving a scale can make its reading vary.

Try weighing first thing after you get up, after you use the washroom. YOur weight can vary by 3-5 pounds during the day. We can weigh much heavier at night.
It's not just the scale. I looked at myself in the mirror and almost passed out. The weight gain is real as my clothers are tighter, too. Needless to say, I'm horrified. I want to give this a good go, I'm committed but and by my failure. I do not want to be this fat, period.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:57 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
How much do you weigh and how tall are you? It's really impossible to say whether you are eating too much without knowing that.
I weigh now about 240, the most ever and am right at six feet. My ideal weight is around 215-220 because of my body type. The weight away from 215 came on suddenly this summer and when I got to 232 I decided to do something about it. After 10 days I'm up about 8 lbs. I'm 62, and that makes it tougher.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:58 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Deep breaths.... don't panic....

Are your measurements changing?

Take some suggestions from the posts on here, track your foods, drink your water, ensure you are following the plan and wait a few days and see what happens.

Don't panic! This way of eating WORKS!
Old 07-26-2010, 06:05 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Deep breaths.... don't panic....

Are your measurements changing?

Take some suggestions from the posts on here, track your foods, drink your water, ensure you are following the plan and wait a few days and see what happens.

Don't panic! This way of eating WORKS!
I'm more angry than anything else, but I will not turn to cheating for solace. I just need assurance that this thing will work. I will do whatever I have to to get back down around 220. Twenty pounds. Is it doable?
Old 07-26-2010, 06:07 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

I'm also annoyed that for some reason I can't upload a picture in my profile. I'm an experienced computer user and I KNOW the pics I've tried are below the maximum pixel size and file size. Boy, when I fail I'm consistent and I'm NOT used to failing.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:16 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

From what you describe, I think it is possible you are overindulging. Is your quote about 'eat all the meat and fat you want' from the Atkins book? From what I can recall, it says to eat if you're hungry, don't eat if you're not hungry, eat as much as required to satisfy your hunger but don't continue eating after that, etc. Also Atkins doesn't say that calories don't matter, it's just that generally people get more result by limiting carbohydrates first. So I would start using ******.com and taking measurements. How long does it take you to eat an average meal? (Just wondering because some people say to make meals at least 20 minutes long).

Also if you haven't had your thyroid checked, that might be something to look into. It's not too uncommon, and it can make it pret near impossible to lose weight. Certain prescription medications cause people problems too.

Last edited by porcupine73; 07-26-2010 at 06:25 PM..