Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: havetolose
Alcohol & Induction

I have so many parties to go to this week and know it will be tempting not to drink. I'm thinking maybe a diet sf drink and vodka would be the best, or maybe a low carb beer, what do you think?
havetolose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2010, 01:06 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DJFoodie
Stats: 352/215/185
WOE: Low in carbs, high in yumminess.
Start Date: March 13th, 2010
Put water in a beer bottle and walk around.
DJFoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:51 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: OctoberFatBride
Stats: 240/227/180
WOE: VLCD / Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
ugh, what fun is that? Water doesnt make me yak all night. I am having the hardest time giving up alcohol. I love my vodka diet tonic. There's zero carbs yet everyone says no no no.
OctoberFatBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:43 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: junkfoodmonkey
Stats: 213/193/140
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: Original Nov 2003 Current 17 Sep 2012
Suppose you were on a course of medication for a week and you weren't allowed to drink while taking them otherwise they wouldn't work. Would you still drink just because you happened to be at a few parties that week?

Think of Induction in the same way. You're doing this for the sake of your health, just the same reason as you'd be taking those pills.

Do you think in six months time people will remember you weren't drinking at that party? They won't ever remember the next day! On the other hand in six months they could be saying "You look great! Your diet is going really well!"

Notes to self
  • You are not a special little snowflake.
  • When you mess up - forgive yourself, learn from it and move on.
junkfoodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:29 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DJFoodie
Stats: 352/215/185
WOE: Low in carbs, high in yumminess.
Start Date: March 13th, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberFatBride View Post
ugh, what fun is that? Water doesnt make me yak all night.
Why would you want to yak all night?

DJFoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: translationmx
Stats: 190-ish/136 now 176.6/168.8/140
WOE: VLC/m&e fast/Keto
Start Date: Every day!!
As far as I know, as long as you have alcohol (even the kind with no carbs at all) in your blood your body is going to use it for fuel instead of fat, so I don't see much sense in watching my carbs and then having some drinks. I do enjoy some alcohol when I'm maintaining
translationmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:58 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

haha not yak like vomit...yack or yak like talking. Hell guess I don tknow how to spell lol
Old 07-14-2010, 01:59 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Oh and to answer your questions, probably wouldnt take the medication. lol =)
Old 07-14-2010, 11:38 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: minky2
Stats: 156/150/140
WOE: Atkins CREATIVE
Start Date: July 7, 2010
OK SERIOUSLY!

I am researching this right now (see thread about Atkins plus wine) and I think should disregard all the do gooders and naysayers and do what works for you. PERIOD.

Don't get caught up in the wisdom of every Atkins doctorate scholar on this thread, or you'll drive yourself crazy with guilt. I say

NO GUILT. FOLLOW YOUR INTUITION. If alcohol is what your brain wants now, your body will find a way to comply. If weight loss is what your body wants right now, your brain will find a way to comply. Either way, we only travel this way one time, don't fill your head with the judgmental "Fooey" of others. Follow your own path.

Best,

Minky2
minky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:20 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Minkey, nobody is being judgemental, they are giving the benefit of their experience, which is what the OP asked for. Nobody is being a dogooder or a naysayer. Atkins Induction doesn't allow alcohol, that's simply a fact.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:48 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: camel?
Stats: 194/165/159
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by minky2 View Post
NO GUILT. FOLLOW YOUR INTUITION.
Minky2
I'd rather follow the book...
camel? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:55 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mngirl
Stats: 185/174/135
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 5/25/10
OK SERIOUSLY!

I am researching this right now (see thread about Atkins plus wine) and I think should disregard all the do gooders and naysayers and do what works for you. PERIOD.

Don't get caught up in the wisdom of every Atkins doctorate scholar on this thread, or you'll drive yourself crazy with guilt. I say

NO GUILT. FOLLOW YOUR INTUITION. If alcohol is what your brain wants now, your body will find a way to comply. If weight loss is what your body wants right now, your brain will find a way to comply. Either way, we only travel this way one time, don't fill your head with the judgmental "Fooey" of others. Follow your own path.

Best,

Minky2

I agree with you. I've been doing atkins for about 7 weeks and have lost 15lbs. While I know that isn't a great amount of weight, I'm still happy with it and I haven't given up my miller lite or glass of wine. Everybody is different, but I need to keep a few thing to make this WOE work for me.
mngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:15 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: camel?
Stats: 194/165/159
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 2009
I posted this on the other thread, but it fits here too:

With all due respect and kindness, I just want to mention that this is an Atkins Induction board. Those of us who are "disagreeing" with you are not trying to be stuffy or weird, we're just trying to stay on plan. Maybe your thoughts would fit in a little better on the Regular or Maintenance Atkins parts of this board. Induction is all about sticking close to a specific eating plan for 2 weeks. It was not meant to be a lifestyle, or all that sustainable. 2 week induction is a jump start and a detox from carbs. There is nothing wrong with sticking to that strict plan for 2 weeks to acheive a goal.

After induction, feel free to move into OWL which has alcohol as one of the rungs!
camel? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

I agree, camel? Atkins allows for plenty of customising and adapting to your specific tastes and lifestyle later, but in my experience sticking to the rules for Induction for those two weeks brings the best results. It gives your body a real kick in the pants and breaks a lot of old habits. Trying to tweak it too much will just lessen the effect.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:18 PM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: kristina
Stats: 250/238.5/140
WOE: Weight Watchers online along with Atkins
Start Date: September 12 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkfoodmonkey View Post
Suppose you were on a course of medication for a week and you weren't allowed to drink while taking them otherwise they wouldn't work. Would you still drink just because you happened to be at a few parties that week?

Think of Induction in the same way. You're doing this for the sake of your health, just the same reason as you'd be taking those pills.

Do you think in six months time people will remember you weren't drinking at that party? They won't ever remember the next day! On the other hand in six months they could be saying "You look great! Your diet is going really well!"
Wow. THANK YOU FOR THAT!!!
kristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:19 PM   #16

Gallery: kristina
Stats: 250/238.5/140
WOE: Weight Watchers online along with Atkins
Start Date: September 12 2014
as an aside, alcohol kicks me out of ketosis as fast as you can say "Ketosis" I can't have it on induction...and probably won't have it for a long time.
kristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:45 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: havetolose
With all this said, I'm on day 11 and have lost 5.5 pounds. I have had a couple glasses of wine that last couple nights. I want to lose 3 more pounds and I'll be right at my happy weight. So eating low carb and still being able to drink is working just fine for me
havetolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:53 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: flourchild
Stats: Ginormous / Heavy/ Fab
WOE: Atkins - '02 OWL
Quote:
Originally Posted by camel? View Post
I'd rather follow the book...
Oh...SNAP!

Why do people constantly try to reinvent this specific phase? The simple truth is, Induction + wine = OWL. Induction + anything not on the list = OWL at minimum, even another LC plan altogether. No one's saying you can't lose weight; it's just that the "I" word doesn't apply.

That'd be like me entering a ballroom dance contest, then tweaking it and insisting that my disco moves qualified. Yeah...no.
flourchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:33 PM   #19

Gallery: Jennyl
Start Date: manana
I drank two or three times while on induction. I drank spirits, not beer or wine. I know, you're not supporsed to, I'm bad . I lost 15 lbs in two weeks. I do think it affects everyone differently though. What works for one person, might not work for another. And who knows what my loss might have been if I hadn't had those drinks, it may have been higher.
Jennyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:29 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: misspiggy
Stats: 278/189/165
WOE: Atkinsishy
Start Date: January 2010
Im not gonna lie, Im a party girl. Ive had plenty of nights of rum and diet cokes and it hasnt stalled me, personally. But everyones different. I think ya gotta do what ya gotta do. and if it does stall you then you'll know for next time.
misspiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:15 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mngirl
Stats: 185/174/135
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 5/25/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by misspiggy View Post
Im not gonna lie, Im a party girl. Ive had plenty of nights of rum and diet cokes and it hasnt stalled me, personally. But everyones different. I think ya gotta do what ya gotta do. and if it does stall you then you'll know for next time.
I agree. Everyone is different.
mngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: spacecataz
Start Date: August 8th 2010
I'm really hoping that it's different for everyone, and that keeping vodka in my diet is not going to stall me, because I frankly just refuse to give it up! Rather, my brain does. I'm a little crazy and I have a stressful job. And before you say "get a hobby" I have TONS of hobbies and I like to drink while I do them so THERE!
spacecataz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:24 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecataz View Post
I'm really hoping that it's different for everyone, and that keeping vodka in my diet is not going to stall me, because I frankly just refuse to give it up! Rather, my brain does. I'm a little crazy and I have a stressful job. And before you say "get a hobby" I have TONS of hobbies and I like to drink while I do them so THERE!
LOL thats RIGHT!!!! I feel the SAME way. Im by no means an alcoholic, but I enjoy the occasional low carb cocktail!!!
Old 08-12-2010, 08:29 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecataz View Post
LOL thats RIGHT!!!! I feel the SAME way. Im by no means an alcoholic, but I enjoy the occasional low carb cocktail!!!
Old 08-17-2010, 07:36 PM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: spacecataz
Start Date: August 8th 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by misspiggy View Post
spacecataz is offline   Reply With Quote